WHAT IF GEORGE LUCAS RE-MADE THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY?...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:59 pm    Post subject: WHAT IF GEORGE LUCAS RE-MADE THE ORIGINAL STAR WARS TRILOGY?...

I was just watching "The Empire Strikes Back" and was wondering...

Should GL re-make the first 3 just for the hell of it (Um...and to make about a billion more dollars because we'd all flock to see it)?

If so, here would be my choices for the human characters:

Luke - Matt Damon

Han Solo - Brad Pitt

Princess Leia - Jessica Alba

Lando Calrissean - Jamie Foxx

Any other human characters I miss?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject:

I'd never watch them. Never ever ever. And I'd also burn every Star Wars movie I have and drown Lucas in his own blood.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject:

oh sweet jesus no.

episodes 1-3 were such atrocious movies. lucas didn't even try on these films and if he did, it just shows how he has lost every creative fiber in his body.

the star wars prequels seemed more about lucas pushing his agenda of digital filmmaking than anything else. and of course...lots of money. i watched empire today too (i think we both have hbo LB) and the original films look so much better than the new ones. know why? because the new ones are all CGI and nothing else. yoda is CGI. the ships are CGI. the planets are CGI. jar jar "the reason i exist is so i can be a merchandising tie-in with mcdonals" binks is CGI. not to mention the storyetelling in the prequels was horrid. everything about them really.

it's a series that never should have been messed with. i still remember that dark day when the dvds of the original trilogy came out and they altered the last scene of return of the jedi by inserting hayden christensen's ghost in. shameful.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
I'd never watch them. Never ever ever. And I'd also burn every Star Wars movie I have and drown Lucas in his own blood.

You know, I hear people say that they wouldn't see it if it ever happened, but I think curioisty would get the best of them - as well as the hype of it all - and they will march their arses right down to the theater and purchase that $16 dollar ticket!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:

You know, I hear people say that they wouldn't see it if it ever happened, but I think curioisty would get the best of them - as well as the hype of it all - and they will march their arses right down to the theater and purchase that $16 dollar ticket!

i learned my lesson from the prequels. lucas is dead to me.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
the star wars prequels seemed more about lucas pushing his agenda of digital filmmaking than anything else. and of course...lots of money.

Aw dayum! I have to agree with most of that! But hey, I ain't mad at the man for going after the moola but it did seem like one long commercial for his Lucasfilm LTD creations.

I will say that I liked the final prequel the best but the first one was just bad. The 2nd one was funny...watching Yoda straighten up his 800 year old ass and fight at lightening speed vs Count Dooku.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Exick wrote:

i learned my lesson from the prequels. lucas is dead to me.

Oh. Damn. Ok.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:
the star wars prequels seemed more about lucas pushing his agenda of digital filmmaking than anything else. and of course...lots of money.

Aw dayum! I have to agree with most of that! But hey, I ain't mad at the man for going after the moola but it did seem like one long commercial for his Lucasfilm LTD creations.

I will say that I liked the final prequel the best but the first one was just bad. The 2nd one was funny...watching Yoda straighten up his 800 year old ass and fight at lightening speed vs Count Dooku.

oh god yoda hopping around like a bunny was so laughable.

the third prequel may be the best of the three but it's still such a piece of garbage. the ending is so preposterous. vader yelling "noooooooooooo" just made everyone laugh. not the reaction you want. yoda just deciding "i have to go into exile". what? the most powerful jedi is just gonna walk away? ok. all the makeup and CG in those movies are horrible.

the first prequel has got to be the worst though. jar jar binks gets a lot of hate...and it's all deserved. but really the worst part was that annoying kid. god i wanted to slap that kid.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
Quote:

the third prequel may be the best of the three but it's still such a piece of garbage. the ending is so preposterous. vader yelling "noooooooooooo" just made everyone laugh. not the reaction you want. yoda just deciding "i have to go into exile". what? the most powerful jedi is just gonna walk away? ok. all the makeup and CG in those movies are horrible.

the first prequel has got to be the worst though. jar jar binks gets a lot of hate...and it's all deserved. but really the worst part was that annoying kid. god i wanted to slap that kid.

Quote:

We were dyin' laughin' in the theater when we saw that!

Quote:
vader yelling "noooooooooooo" just made everyone laugh. not the reaction you want. yoda just deciding "i have to go into exile". what? the most powerful jedi is just gonna walk away? ok.

Yeah, Vader was hilarious with that! Then you realize just how much different James Earl Jones and Hayden Christenson's voice patterns are! Not even close! And yeah, why DID Yoda have to go into exile? The ONLY possible explanation was because when GL made ESB and he already had him in exile so he had to come up with something to make that add up.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

I was watching those today too...on HBO I believe. I wouldn't mind if Lucas decided to re-make the trilogy and would probably go to see it for the hell of it. However, if Jessica Alba plays Princess Leia I might have to go see it a couple of times....and then buy it when it comes out.

Last edited by The Buss on Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

the problem isn't having yoda go into exile. that makes sense. the problem is not explaining it well or giving us reason to believe that that character went into exile for that reason.

same thing with anakin turning dark. it kinda makes sense but the execution of portraying it was horrible. everything in that third prequel happens not because of a logical progression of events. it happens because it has to happen.
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:13 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
the problem isn't having yoda go into exile. that makes sense. the problem is not explaining it well or giving us reason to believe that that character went into exile for that reason.

same thing with anakin turning dark. it kinda makes sense but the execution of portraying it was horrible. everything in that third prequel happens not because of a logical progression of events. it happens because it has to happen.

That's the way I felt when I watched those too. Lucas didn't make a very good effort in developing the events. It seemed like there was no journey, only a destination.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
I was watching those today too...on HBO I believe. I wouldn't mind if Lucas decided to re-make the trilogy and would probably go to see it for the hell of it. However, if Jessica Alba plays Princess Leia I might have to go see it a couple of times....and then buy it when it comes out.

She'd make a great Leia, wouldn't she though?: The spunk, the sex appeal, the action! Perfect!
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Ah, I feel you.

And I also thought that Anakin turned too easily. Then someone pointed out to me about watching the previous 2 and you can see the process, so I was eventually cool with that.
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject:

yes the 3 prequels were pretty bad, but so was Return of the Jedi.

Out of the six, there are only two goods movies(with Empire being great).

For a series to be so hyped and have only two good movie, pretty odd. Although I admit I am a big fan just because of the two.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Michlake wrote:
yes the 3 prequels were pretty bad, but so was Return of the Jedi.

Out of the six, there are only two goods movies(with Empire being great).

For a series to be so hyped and have only two good movie, pretty odd. Although I admit I am a big fan just because of the two.

And see, I thought the best one was Star Wars, Jedi, and then Empire. Empire pissed me off because there was SO MUCH hype over the new character Boba Fett, and ALL he did was fire off 2 shots and that was it. Talk about being cheated!
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
The Buss wrote:

She'd make a great Leia, wouldn't she though?: The spunk, the sex appeal, the action! Perfect!

Lies! LIES!!!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject:

There is a reason why Empire was so great: Lucas did not direct it! It was directed by Irving Kershner. The other movies Lucas did were not as good, and the prequels were just downright laughable.

There are a few problems with the prequels:

1) the audience was 13 year old boys, so they would buy the merchandising associated with the movies. The movies were not for the fans

2) Lucas tried too hard to make everything fit together in a nice little ball. There was absolutely no reason to have Wookies in the 3rd prequel, and even less reason to have Chewbacca play a major role, and even less reason for Yoda to say, very emphatically, "Goodbye, CHEWBACCA!"

3) Lucas cannot write dialogue. The actors, including Natalie Portman, said the script was awkward and poor. They did not have much to work with.

4) Too much CGI, not enough live action.

5) As someone pointed out, Lucas was too focused on the destination, not enough on the journey.

6) Natalie Portman's character died of a broken heart? Puh-leeze!

7) Darth Vader walking around like Frankenstein and yelling "Nnooooooo!"? Idiotic.

8 ) At one point, on the planet Wookies are from, someone added the sound effect of Tarzan swinging on the vines. Why the need for that?

9) Forcing too much into the stories. Why did we need Anakin Skywalker as the builder of C3P0? What function does that serve? It was cute, but did we really need to see the Millennium Falcon flying in the 3rd prequel?

10) Lucas was out of touch. It wasn't until he was already working on the second prequel that he finally heard people hated Jar Jar Binks. He thought people would actually like that character. Little did he know the truth.

11) Not enough character development.

12) We all knew the story leading up the original 3. We wanted to fill out that story. Most of it was already written, but Lucas effed it up.

13) Hayden Christensen. Is there a worse actor in Hollywood right now?

14) Again Lucas forcing things together too much. Trying to tie everything in a neat little bow. Why go to such pains to get C3P0 and R2D2 to get together so early? Can't some things just be left to the audience's imagination?

There were some good points, however, as these movies are not to be totally dismissed.

1) Darth Maul. Excellent character, great fight scenes, dies too early (though it is absolutely necessary that he dies).

2) Ewan McGregor. He is given very little to work with, but I feel he did as fine a job as he could given the circumstances.

3) The third prequel had some good storylines, had some good fight scenes.

4) We all knew the story before it came out. We knew what to expect. We all liked the story from the get-go. The audience was Lucas' to lose. Yet he lost them all.

As you see, the bad outweights the good by a substantial amount. I paid money to go see the prequels, but Lucas so disappointed me I would not go see any remakes he has a hand in. If he had stepped back and gotten help with the movies, they would have been much better.

In fact, isn't there an animated Star Wars prequels out that is supposedly much better? I wonder why that is? I have not had a chance to see it, so I know nothing about it, but it would be interesting to see.

This is my humble opinion, as presented by me, Douglas C. Niedermeyer, Sergeant at Arms.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:

^^
Yeah, I would say that Darth Maul was probably the best thing to come out of the three prequels. Dude was badass. Too bad they couldn't do more with him.
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject:

First, he has to wait for Chewbacca to get out of jail. Seems he's been charged with headbutting a tour guide at the Mann's Chinese (and Superman will be called as a witness).

The Force Is On Him
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject:

Maybe Stallone should remake the Rocky series too. If he ever gets done with the current series.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:45 am    Post subject:

encina1, great stuff, bro.

Quote:
6) Natalie Portman's character died of a broken heart? Puh-leeze!

You know that was for the chicks that came with their dudes!

Quote:
8 ) At one point, on the planet Wookies are from, someone added the sound effect of Tarzan swinging on the vines. Why the need for that?

Yeah, I remember that scene...where the Wookie places the bomb on the droid combat vehicle...hey, it was what it was, that did't bother me..it was kinda humurous actually.

Quote:
9) Forcing too much into the stories. Why did we need Anakin Skywalker as the builder of C3P0?

Yeah, that wasn't needed at all. Also, if you remember Episode 1, the Anakin doesn't even take C3PO...so how in the hell does C3PO get back with him? Did I miss something?

Quote:
13) Hayden Christensen. Is there a worse actor in Hollywood right now?

Yeah, dude had about as much "charcter and charisma" as a cardboard box.

Quote:
1) Darth Maul. Excellent character, great fight scenes, dies too early (though it is absolutely necessary that he dies).

I didn't like how "easily" Obi Won killed Darth Maul. It actually seemed stupid considering Obi Won was hanging on for his life and that move took so long that you'd think someone as skilled as maul would have sliced Obi Won into 38 pieces by the time he landed.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject:

You wanna talk laughable? How about how easily Palpatine killed the three Jedi that were with Mace Windu? One slice and those dudes were done. Pathetic. Not like he did anything super extraordinary to off them...looked like a standard swipe to me. Ok, maybe the first guy got caught off-guard... but come on now.

HOWEVER...
If Lucas handed the reigns over to the same guys that put together "The Clone Wars" animated features, I'd be all over a remake of the OT. Those kicked azz.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:
How about how easily Palpatine killed the three Jedi that were with Mace Windu? One slice and those dudes were done

I said the EXACT SAME THING when that happened! I was like "Damn, why did he even BRING those scrubs if they were gonna get banged on that easily?"

Quote:
Ok, maybe the first guy got caught off-guard... but come on now.

I spit out my drink when I read that!
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject:

Star Wars is for kids. You saw the first 3 as kids and loved them, and then you saw the last 3 as grown ass men and you expected to still have the same taste and mindset as when you were kids? LMAO.

I loved the first 3. My five year old is bonkers about the last 3. Good enough for me.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: