Grammy Thread, Y'all
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Grammy Thread, Y'all

This has got to be one of the deepest most talented field of musicians in years!

Even my parents have enjoyed it so far.

Mary J. shot the Chevy commercial at the studios that I frequent. She is such a nice humble woman.

How gorgeous is Beyonce? What happened w/ her and J?

Scarlett Johanssen is my future ex-wife!

Prediction: Flea will rock the purple and gold on stage!
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, that Shakira performance should be the most downloaded clip on YouTube for the next ten weeks or so...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject:

of all entertainment awards the grammys are by far the most worthless.

i have it tioved however just so i can watch the police.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

This one is devoted almost entirely to performances; not a bad show at all. Almost all the awards were given before the show itself apparently.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Not this year. Every performance has been absolutely top shelf.

Hands down the best Grammy show I have ever seen.

This year was ALL about the performances.

Gotta go, have a few parties to hit
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

i was referring to that actual award winners, not the performances. when you have the dixie chicks winning top awards...you know your show is worthless.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

i was referring to that actual award winners, not the performances. when you have the dixie chicks winning top awards...you know your show is worthless.

Sorry, but that is an awesome F-U to the monopoly of Clear Channel and Cummulus Radio, which killed terrestrial radio with their focus group tested, repetitive, narrow playlists; and also to those who would stifle free speech and dissent in our country. For them, after being spitefully shut out of country radio completely to then win the Grammy for country music performance is a slap in the face to all those rednecks who wouldn't stand to have those "uppity women's music" on their stations. They deserve credit for having the courage of their convictions, and for the tenacity of adapting to a new fan base with a different sound and approach. Most performers would have never made it back from the abyss they found themselves in not too long ago.

Their music isn't too much my cup of tea, but there is some decent material on their record, and "Not Ready To Make Nice" might as well be the anthem of the suddenly resurgent moderate to liberal movement in this country. The pendulum swings back and forth like clockwork; the comeback from total outcasts to the top of the music world tonight is sort of another little piece of that pendulum swinging back in the other direction...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
ocho wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

Sorry, but that is an awesome F-U to the monopoly of Clear Channel and Cummulus Radio, which killed terrestrial radio with their focus group tested, repetitive, narrow playlists; and also to those who would stifle free speech and dissent in our country. For them, after being spitefully shut out of country radio completely to then win the Grammy for country music performance is a slap in the face to all those rednecks who wouldn't stand to have those "uppity women's music" on their stations. They deserve credit for having the courage of their convictions, and for the tenacity of adapting to a new fan base with a different sound and approach. Most performers would have never made it back from the abyss they found themselves in not too long ago.

Their music isn't too much my cup of tea, but there is some decent material on their record, and "Not Ready To Make Nice" might as well be the anthem of the suddenly resurgent moderate to liberal movement in this country. The pendulum swings back and forth like clockwork; the comeback from total outcasts to the top of the music world tonight is sort of another little piece of that pendulum swinging back in the other direction...

as long as the award is called "best album of the year" and not "ballsiest country singer", it is unacceptable to give them such a title.

the grammys have a long history of giving awards to people they shouldn't.
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Re: Grammy Thread, Y'all

The Grammys are pure crap. So many great artists don't get nominated and will never ever win one of those awards. Whatever. Its pretty much just a popularity contest. Its quite rare when a deserving artist actually wins. I tivoed the show and only watched the performances.

dubaholic1 wrote:
Prediction: Flea will rock the purple and gold on stage!

Yep! He sure did. Nice call on that one.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

After you watch The Police, post what you think...

For me it was great seeing them again... but I thought the performance was 'okay'... nice to see, but not one of 'those moments'...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:
ocho wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

as long as the award is called "best album of the year" and not "ballsiest country singer", it is unacceptable to give them such a title.

the grammys have a long history of giving awards to people they shouldn't.

Let's be real: the history isn't just long; it's complete. How many times was the best album award given to the actual best album of that year? You can't look to the Grammy's to ever get it right there. I'm kind of saying that if it is a popularity contest, at least one segment of the industry stuck it to another in giving them those awards...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject:

The Grammys are worthless? I'm still on a high from seeing Debbie Boone with "You Light Up My Life."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:

Shakira performing at last night's Grammys.

WOW.

To say that the Arizona desert in July is hot would be an insult to her.

WOW.

MIM
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject:

All awards shows crap (anything, Grammys, Emmys, VMAs, Golden Globes, Oscars, anything...).

The winners are all crap, 10% of em actually deserve it, the others come from pure hype.

Still, theyre nice to watch to see hot celebrities in sexy outfits.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:

WOW.

WOW.

MIM
I feel you on that.... WOW!!!!
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:

WOW.

WOW.

MIM
I feel you on that.... WOW!!!!

http://img.terra.com.br/i/2007/02/11/459662-4649-ga.jpg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject:

I totally didn't know the Grammys were even on last night.

I think Grammys are worthless. The Oscars can be the same, but they seem to have more integrity (though they lost some when Crash won for Best Picture). It is a popularity contest and it is completely subjective and leaves nothing to be desired.

Is the Best Album of the year really the best album of the year? How do we figure? What makes it the best?

The Beatles never won a Grammy. I really like the Beatles, and they had some amazing albums, but how do we say that this album of ten songs just put together is better than this other album with ten songs just strewn together?
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

I think Grammys are worthless. The Oscars can be the same, but they seem to have more integrity (though they lost some when Crash won for Best Picture). It is a popularity contest and it is completely subjective and leaves nothing to be desired.

Is the Best Album of the year really the best album of the year? How do we figure? What makes it the best?

The Beatles never won a Grammy. I really like the Beatles, and they had some amazing albums, but how do we say that this album of ten songs just put together is better than this other album with ten songs just strewn together?

Cmon man, Crash was great... I thought it was worth best picture...great movie about human disgrace.
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dubaholic1 wrote:
ocho wrote:

I got two words for you: RICK RUBIN

That man has been responsible for the soundtrack for most of my life, from the Beastie Boys, to Skinny Puppy ( it was just a phase) to the Chili Peppers, to Johnny Cash.

For you to invalidate "the award winners" is to invalidate a major cornerstone of contemporary music responsible for hundreds of millions of album sales.

Musical taste is subjective, the Grammy's honor "pop" or popular music. Why the Beatles never won I will NEVER know.

I still don't get how Imogene Heap was even nominated. Did you see that freak with twigs and crap in her hair? Google her...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:

i agree the oscars took a hit with awarding crash. that was more a case of a big marketing campagin and some late buzz at the right time. the thing with the oscars though is that although i rarely think the best picture winner is actually the best movie of the year...they usually give it to a good movie. they usually award very good performances. the grammys are just terrible. i just watched the show and heard the dixie chicks performance of what apparantly is the record and song of the year. nothing special about that song whatsoever. nothing. it was a move of politics and popularity. they have no intention of awarding good music.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:

Funny, I thought this was supposed to be a music awards show. If I want political statements I'll watch Hannity and Colmes. Thank you for helping to show the rest of us that these entertainment awards are nothing but politics, which is apparently fine with you as long as it's your politics being promoted.

Dixie Chimps win 5 awards? It's clear a lack of talent doesn't hold you back at the Grammy's. If they're going to hold up the Dixie Chimps as the best in Country music, they might as well give a Lifetime Achievement Award to The New Kids on the Block. Both are equally deserving.
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:

Funny, I thought this was supposed to be a music awards show. If I want political statements I'll watch Hannity and Colmes. Thank you for helping to show the rest of us that these entertainment awards are nothing but politics, which is apparently fine with you as long as it's your politics being promoted.

Dixie Chimps win 5 awards? It's clear a lack of talent doesn't hold you back at the Grammy's. If they're going to hold up the Dixie Chimps as the best in Country music, they might as well give a Lifetime Achievement Award to The New Kids on the Block. Both are equally deserving.

It has already been agreed that the major awards shows are about politics, both internal and external, or both, rather than best quality. You are arguing when no argument is needed.

That said, here is today's CNN poll:
Created: Monday, February 12, 2007, at 13:10:54 EDT
Did the Dixie Chicks win more for the quality of their music or for their political stance?

Their music 43% 25985 votes

Their politics 57% 34978 votes
Total: 60963 votes

I'm no big fan of the Dixie Chicks overall, but their musical talent is way beyond NKOTB. To equate the two weakens the impact of your statement.

Actually, a bunch of chimps would have more musical talent than NKOTB.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1445116/20010712/story.jhtml
Tony Montana
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1445116/20010712/story.jhtml

I knew it!!!!
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
the thing with the oscars though is that although i rarely think the best picture winner is actually the best movie of the year...they usually give it to a good movie. they usually award very good performances. the grammys are just terrible.

I totally agree. I don't see why the Recording Academy can't follow suit with the Film Academy. For example, this year Ryan Gosling is nominated for best actor for his role in Half Nelson, which nobody saw. But it doesn't matter to the Oscars because he had one of the best performances and that should be recognized. And this happens every year in almost every category. And the other movie award ceremonies (SAG, the Golden Globes, etc.) do this, too.

For the record, I have no problem with the Dixie Chicks winning album of the year. But the fact remains, to be nominated for a Grammy you have to have massive record sales/radio play or they award a band/artist that's been making music for so long as some sort of tribute. Example of the latter are when Steely Dan, Santana, and Ray Charles all received album of the year awards in the 2000's way past their prime. Don't get me wrong, they are all tremendous artists, but those were not the best albums of those respective years. It was like the Grammys were retroactively awarding them for their great work of the past. That shouldn't happen. The Oscars aren't doing that for Scorcese even though he deserves to have one by now.

And you ever notice how the Grammy winners never match up with any year-end best of lists by music journalists? It's because the academy is not even looking at all of the music released that year. The number of music releases each year dwarfs the number of film releases, so there should be so many records and albums to choose from. But when you watch the Grammys you'd think there were only 10 albums released in the year because the same 3 albums sweep all the awards.

After watching the performances last night, I've also noticed that the standing ovation is losing all of it's value. Those should be reserved for legendary artists. You can't give Chris Brown a standing O, he's not James Brown. Stop standing up after every single performance.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: