What Is The Best and Worst Comic Book Movie?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: What Is The Best and Worst Comic Book Movie?

Best: Spidermans, Batman Begins, Batman and The Punisher. Frank Castle is Filthy.

Worst: Daredevil. Afflack just isn't working for me.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject:

great thread.

the best: Spiderman 2, Spiderman, Xmen, Xmen 2, Batman Begins, Sin City

the worst: Batman and Robin, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Daredevil, Batman Forever, Batman Returns, Catwoman, Fantastic Four
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Val Kilmer as Batman just was not good either.

Come on Eight, the Fan Four was decent. Good way to kill 2 hours.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
Val Kilmer as Batman just was not good either.

Come on Eight, the Fan Four was decent. Good way to kill 2 hours.

a cranial lobotomy kills a couple hours too. horrible effects, horrible screenplay, horrible casting. don't get me wrong, i like looking at jessica alba as much as the next guy, but casting her as the invisible woman? she needs a talented filmmaker like robert rodriguez/quentin tarantino to get a good performance out of her ala sin city.

the footage i've seen of the silver surfer from the FF sequal looks great though. maybe they can redeem themselves.

by the way, can not WAIT for 300. comes out on my birthday too.
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject:

300 looks amazing.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject:

In terms of as an excellence as an overall film, respect for original source material (not necessarily religious adherence), and adaptation to use in a larger-than-life, 3-D, epic medium:

BEST:
1. Batman Begins -- So the poison-in-water stretches scientific laws. Who cares. They got Batman and AND Bruce Wayne right, in a way Tim Burton never could. Arguably the most cohesive, most grown-up comic-book movie EVER.
2. Superman -- Superman as Christ-figure and American myth. Lex and Otis are buffonish in the script, but still, admit it -- this was THE standard when you were growing up. An epic movie... from a comic book.
3. Spider-Man 2 -- This was the Spider-Man you wanted, and didn't quite get in the first film. Good fights, creative and effective use of CGI, and good old-fahsioned Marvel hero angst.

WORST:
1. Batman and Robin -- A glow-in-the-dark, rubberized, neon-illuminated adobe house made of dog feces, left to burn in the middle of the desert with the corpses of 150 mutilated skunks left inside after being slathered in moldy mayonnaise.

MIM

Last edited by MIMLaker on Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Fan 4 was brutal ......

The Reeves Superman 1 was like the ish back then. And there's something about the Batjet flying into that moon. I can never get tired of that scene.
mswift44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Best to me are Sin City, Batman Begins, both the Spidey movies, and Superman The Movie.

Worst is easily Batman & Robin. Superman 3 and 4 are pretty bad also. Fantastic 4 was really bad imo.

Can't wait for 300, Spidey 3 this year. The Dark Knight next year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject:

Best Comic Book Movie: Batman Begins (Best Super Hero Movie), Sin City, V for Vendetta
Worse:There's a lot of them, but I hated Batman & Robin, Batman Forever, etc.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What Is The Best and Worst Comic Book Movie?

doughboy90650 wrote:
Best: Spidermans, Batman Begins, Batman and The Punisher. Frank Castle is Filthy.

Worst: Daredevil. Afflack just isn't working for me.

Catch the Director's Cut. It's an improvement. Of course, the main problem with the film was the writer/ director, so that almost doesn't make sense, but trust me on this.

MIM
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Best-American Splendor

Worst-Judge Dredd or Tank Girl
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Best: Batman Begins, Hellboy, V for Vendetta, Hulk, The Punisher. On those last two, screw you guys. They were good.

Worst: Superman 3 and 4. 4 was just unwatchable.
The TMNT movie that featured Vanilla Ice. Vanilla Ice!?
Spider-Man. You know why? Because they cast that vacuous no-talent tramp Kirsten Dunst as Mary Jane.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject:

^^Hulk was completely worthless. i appreciate what ang lee tried to do with the film, and it paved the way for more serious comic book fare such as batman begins but its a dreadful film. the comic book panel motif was so obnoxious and took you completley out of the film. not to mention the overacting. what the hell was jennifer connolly in this thing for? also, the hulk cgi was dreadful. looked like who framed roger rabbit where the cartoons interact with the people. lee is a helluva filmmaker though and has redeemed himself since.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject:

I was wondering when someone was gonna mention The Hulk. Talk about a waste. The CGI Hulk was ridiculous.

The best was probably Superman.

Another bad one, unfortunately, was Spawn.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:49 am    Post subject:

BEST (no particular order)
tmnt (Elias Koteas nailed the Casey Jones role)
Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns
Batman Begins
X3
Spiderman 2
Blade
The Rocketeer
Men in Black
Superman Returns

WORST
Batman and Robin
tmnt 2 and 3
Steel
Spawn (didn't really impress me)
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

MIMLaker wrote:
BEST:
1. Batman Begins -- So the poison-in-water stretches scientific laws. Who cares. They got Batman and AND Bruce Wayne right, in a way Tim Burton never could. Arguably the most cohesive, most grown-up comic-book movie EVER.

MIM

MIM, I agree Batman Begins was great, but I wouldn't say Time Burton didn't do right by Batman either. The first Batman was pretty good and Nicholson was awesome. The second Batman was OK, but slipped quite a bit and then Burton stopped participating. Everything after that was a joke until Batman Begins.

Agreed that The Hulk was god awful (Jennifer Connelly was nice to look at), Fantastic 4 was a nightmare. I've liked all the X-men movies so far.

Some Bests: Batman Begins, Sin City, X-Men 1 - 3, Blade Trinity (I know, I'm pretty alone on this one).

Some worsts: The Hulk, Fantastic 4, Captain America, Dick Tracy, Daredevil, Flash Gordon, the Rocketeer

I can't believe no one has brought this up. But worst comic book movie ever: Steel, starring Shaq
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
BEST:

MIM

MIM, I agree Batman Begins was great, but I wouldn't say Time Burton didn't do right by Batman either. The first Batman was pretty good and Nicholson was awesome. The second Batman was OK, but slipped quite a bit and then Burton stopped participating. Everything after that was a joke until Batman Begins.

Agreed that The Hulk was god awful (Jennifer Connelly was nice to look at), Fantastic 4 was a nightmare. I've liked all the X-men movies so far.

Some Bests: Batman Begins, Sin City, X-Men 1 - 3, Blade Trinity (I know, I'm pretty alone on this one).

Some worsts: The Hulk, Fantastic 4, Captain America, Dick Tracy, Daredevil, Flash Gordon, the Rocketeer

I can't believe no one has brought this up. But worst comic book movie ever: Steel, starring Shaq

i don't think burton got batman right at all. he made the movies dark but the villains cartoonish and over the top. i thought nicholson was a terrible choice...far too over the top. i know it's the joker but it wasn't the joker...it was jack doing jack. that's fine in some roles, but not in what that's iconic. burton later admitted to not reading any batman comics before he made the film.

the reason batman begins was so great is that nolan finally treated the material seriously. it doesn't have the cheekiness of the burton series or the neon hell of the schumacher films. guaranteed that nolan's joker (heath ledger) will blow burton's out of the water.
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Socks wrote:
MIMLaker wrote:
BEST:

MIM

i don't think burton got batman right at all. he made the movies dark but the villains cartoonish and over the top. i thought nicholson was a terrible choice...far too over the top. i know it's the joker but it wasn't the joker...it was jack doing jack. that's fine in some roles, but not in what that's iconic. burton later admitted to not reading any batman comics before he made the film.

the reason batman begins was so great is that nolan finally treated the material seriously. it doesn't have the cheekiness of the burton series or the neon hell of the schumacher films. guaranteed that nolan's joker (heath ledger) will blow burton's out of the water.

agreed. you gotta watch tim burton's version as its own since he did not use the comics as a reference at all. I love all of Tim Burton's visuals and I think he did a great job making both Batman movies. You're actually the first ive heard to criticize nicholson. But it's all good though. I personally enjoyed nicholson as the joker and I was hoping someone like Crispin Glover would play him in the new batman movie. I do take batman begins a little more serious since it is based on the comics.

by the way, I did mention steel in my post. awful movie.
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:

Understood Burton's versions were not any sort of homage to the comics. Ocho, I also agree nicholson was over the top a bit. But that doesn't mean that Burton didn't do a good job or that Nicholson's Joker wasn't one version of a realistic portrayal. He was cartoonish, but I didn't feel like he crossed the line into tragic camp like the schumacher films.

I have high hopes for Heath Ledger's version of things.

Sorry frijolero01, missed your reference to Steel, yes absolutely horrible.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject:

Socks wrote:
Understood Burton's versions were not any sort of homage to the comics. Ocho, I also agree nicholson was over the top a bit. But that doesn't mean that Burton didn't do a good job or that Nicholson's Joker wasn't one version of a realistic portrayal. He was cartoonish, but I didn't feel like he crossed the line into tragic camp like the schumacher films.

I have high hopes for Heath Ledger's version of things.

Sorry frijolero01, missed your reference to Steel, yes absolutely horrible.

burton's batmans aren't terrible movies (batman returns walks a fine line)...they simply didn't honor the material. my favorite comic book movies are the ones that stay true to what made the character popular in the first place. the spiderman films absolutely NAIL spiderman and who that character is all about. batman begins did that as well.

i don't think burton is a very good filmmaker (very overrated). he's a guy who is great with aesthetics and poor in actual execution. 'ed wood' is amazing though.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:

One I tried to like was Elektra... but in the end I thought it was pretty bad...

Unbreakable was a wierd one..

The original Punisher (Dolph Lundgren) was awful... worse ever!!!! Hands Down!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:

^^Tach my man thank you for bringing up one i totally forgot about.

Unbreakable!! one of the best comic book movies of all time...and it's not even based on an actual comic book! seriously, this was shyamalan's finest film, and still makes me long for the days when he wasn't making pretentious, laugh out loud messes like "lady in the water".
Socks
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
One I tried to like was Elektra... but in the end I thought it was pretty bad...

Unbreakable was a wierd one..

The original Punisher (Dolph Lundgren) was awful... worse ever!!!! Hands Down!!!

YES. Unbreakable was fantastic.

And double-YES. Elektra and Dolph Lundgren's Punisher were horrible, horrible messes.
LA NATIVE
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Best:
Batman Begins is my current favorite as well as the original Superman 1 & 2. TMNT is pretty cool too although I haven't seen it in ten years. X-Men 1 & 2 are great and Spiderman is good although I never was a big fan.

But I really dug Unbreakable because of it's this is just an ordinary person spin who finds out he is suppose to be a hero. Also the Sam Jackson twist as the villain really creeped me out more than the Joker, Green Goblin, or Lex Luthor ever did. Maybe since Lady in the Water bombed he'll start making sequels soon.

Worst:
Batman & Robin (No explanation needed)
X-men 3 (Story wasn't up to par with the first two)
Superman Returns (Still can't finish watching it, nor want to)

Thank you for this thread this is some stuff I never realized I thought so much about
When they ask me about Shaq, I say, 'I love Shaq, but [screw] Miami.' It is what it is. I'm a Laker and I bleed purple and gold and if you ain't down with the Lakers, f--- you, straight up.-Snoop Dogg
- Sean -
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject:

When you talk about flawless comic to film adaptation, one title stands alone..."Howard The Duck."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: