Jury Duty=Worst day ever!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Jury Duty=Worst day ever!!!

Just came back from jury duty, went in at 7:30am, got lucky enough to come out at 3, but not before some misery. So i went to interview, the judge excused me, so then at 12:30pm i was told that i had to stick around til 1:30 and see if their were any other chances of me interviewing. So 1:30 comes around, and the lady takes role call, i noticed she said my name, but not everyones, so i panicked. Then she said, "You have been reassigned to the east la courthouse. You must be there today ASAP." gave us a map, it was 20 minutes away from downtown! I told her i didnt have any way to get, there, and she let me stay. If it wasnt for that, i would be at the other court house, but luckily im not, and i can now say i surviced jury duty

Last edited by Quack on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:58 am; edited 3 times in total
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject:

it totally sucks.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:

it's basically detention for adults.

you will probably stay the entire time (until 5pm). bring a book and an ipod.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject:

you're surprised there are actually people that dumb running our government. So inefficient, draining experience....

i dunno...i'd never been interviewed, but just be confident and cocky and you'll get outta it
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject:

chef wrote:
you're surprised there are actually people that dumb running our government. So inefficient, draining experience....

i dunno...i'd never been interviewed, but just be confident and cocky and you'll get outta it

Well i forgot to mention that im a full time student, will that get me out of it?
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Tell them you're a racist and you're convinced that the accused party is guilty.
chef
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject:

[quote="ballerxj"]
chef wrote:

Well i forgot to mention that im a full time student, will that get me out of it?[/quote

just say you're in the young republicans club!
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Speaking of which I got a letter and forgot to call back today. Thanks for the reminder.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
Speaking of which I got a letter and forgot to call back today. Thanks for the reminder.

You're welcome
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject:

BTW, seriously, what type of questions do they ask you?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject:

ballerxj wrote:
BTW, seriously, what type of questions do they ask you?

i got called into a jury pool about car theft. they basically ask you questions to weed out people who would be biased or unfair to a potential car theif.
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject:

I got a jury duty notice a couple weeks ago and was supposed to send something in after like 10 days, i was going to delay it. Anyone know if i can still do that if like i call or something?

Ive had jury duty before and I'd prefer to delay it as much as humanly possible.
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject:

The website for the court usually has good info.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Just tell them where there is smoke that there is usually fire so you are convinced anyone charged is most likely guilty.

That should free ya up pretty quick!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject:

It's been a few years, so I forget a lot... However, from what I remember, things have changed quite a bit... There's good, and bad... Basically, it's a bit harder to get out of jury duty, unless you can prove there's a real hardship. On a positive note, they have really made an effort, to only keep you, a minimum amount of time. Basically, they put you in an on call situation... You just have to follow instructions, call in, and find out, if your group has to report.

If you are assigned to a case, and if you are called to the jury box, you will have to go through a voir dire process... Attorneys, basically, have a field day with you... Each attorney will try to get as many jurors, most likely to decide in favor of his, or her cause... It's like a circus... I think some attorneys are sadistic... Some jurors are left in the juror box, until the end, then, they are given the boot. You'll hear a lot of "The court will thank, and excuse, juror number..." You have to get up, and walk away, nonchalant, even if you're cursing, on the inside...

You only have to be "on call", for a certain amount of days, and, I think, you only have to serve on one trial... My very first jury duty, about 10+ years ago, I had to take part in 3 different trials, with some of the same fellow jurors!!...
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

In Ventura County, you only have to show for one day. If they don't pick you for a jury that day, you are done. As for the questions, they generally try to weed out pre-conceived bias. I was brought up on a bogus DUI charge 16 years ago (police lab came up with a .08 blood alcohol content, an independent lab came up with 0.01), fought the case in court and won. Now I have an easy out in any case that involves the police. When they ask if I think the police could lie, I answer that not only do I think they lie, I proved it in court. The DA doesn't want people like that on a jury.
ShadyG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Q.E.D.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Just tell them where there is smoke that there is usually fire so you are convinced anyone charged is most likely guilty.

That should free ya up pretty quick!

actually out of all the suggestions. ^^^This one works every time. Because their are people that think like this. People really believe if you're being charged or tried, you must be guilty. Thats why, I pray I never have to be on the other side of the coin. At the hands of people who first off dont want to be there. then to throw in all the wanna be CSI watching/Cops are always right types. Man you can do 10 years for having the similar nose hairs as the guy who actually did the crime. and you weren't even in town that week.

The idea of the jury process is one thing. but how it pans out is another. Very scary.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
In Ventura County, you only have to show for one day. If they don't pick you for a jury that day, you are done. As for the questions, they generally try to weed out pre-conceived bias. I was brought up on a bogus DUI charge 16 years ago (police lab came up with a .08 blood alcohol content, an independent lab came up with 0.01), fought the case in court and won. Now I have an easy out in any case that involves the police. When they ask if I think the police could lie, I answer that not only do I think they lie, I proved it in court. The DA doesn't want people like that on a jury.

TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject:

It doesn't matter if you're a full time student. I had Jury Duty like 3-4 months ago. They could care less that you have class everyday. x_x I was at the Pasadena Courthouse. Blah!
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject:

"They don't arrest innocent people"

Wonder how that would fly?
brutella
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject:

I didn't show up the last time I received a letter, because I couldn't get off work, and didn't want to. So far, there isn't a warrant out for my arrest.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject:

I got like 3 or 4 notices for jury duty and blew them all off. Finally they sent me one that said something like "Final Notice" and a bunch of legal junk on the back. That's when I went. Showed up around 8, I was out of there by 9. Had the day off. It was a good day.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

I forgot to mention that the one and only case i interviewed for was supposed to last 30 days! They asked me if i could stay, and i said no because i still had a couple of weeks of school, and thankfully they let me go, what was funny was that in the courtroom where all the potential jurors were, their were atleast 12 lawyers there for the defendants! It was a big time company like lakersground
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Yes, Jury Duty is an annoying thing to go through. I just went for the first time last month. It's funny watching people coming up with excuses for why they can't serve...people acting all extreme. I swear, one guy who was totally obvious, they purposefully kept him as one of the jurors until the last possible moment just to punish him.

With all of that said...serving on a jury is an amazing privelage once you realize that we are one of the only countries in the worlds where you can be judged by a jury of your peers, rather than by a judge, a government or military official, or worse.

Yes, we've all got better things to do, but thank god for the jury system. It's one of the miracles of our government. It's not perfect, but it sure is better than just about anything else out here when it comes to fairness.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: