Fox News Ask Are Hip-Hop and Rap Music Going Out of Style?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakerfan 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Fox News Ask Are Hip-Hop and Rap Music Going Out of Style?

Quote:
This is a partial transcript of "The Big Story With John Gibson," March 1, 2007, that has been edited for clarity.

JOHN GIBSON, HOST:
Time now for "Big Entertainment." Drugs, guns, sex: that's the message people are getting from much of hip-hop music. Well, now it looks like people might just be getting sick of it all.

Sales of rap and hip-hop are down, way down, about 21 percent just this last year. Bill Cosby has been speaking out against some of this hip-hop for years, saying that some of it puts down women, glorifies violence, and pushes the lifestyle of mindless bling gangsters.

So is rap music's push for a gangster lifestyle finally bad for business? Helen Little is the programming director of Power 105.1, a radio station for hip-hop and R&B music here in New York City.

So, sales down, somebody finally reacting to stuff that treats women bad and glorifies violence?

HELEN LITTLE, POWER 105.1 PROGRAM DIRECTOR: Partly. You've got to figure that there are a lot of people who have said I'm not going to participate in this because that's one of the things that is a message that people who are in favor of more positive music say. If you don't like it, don't buy it. And I think maybe that message is starting to sink in. But at the same time there are other issues that could be a part of that, such as the economy.

GIBSON: What do women say? I'm not going to — everybody knows what these recordings call women. I don't need to say it here.

LITTLE: No, you don't.

GIBSON: I don't need to say it here. But women hear this stuff and they hear them being treated badly. This is pure misogamy in a lot of cases. So what do black women say to you about what you put on your radio station?

LITTLE: Well, I think the people that listen to the radio station — one, I play edited versions of everything, so you don't hear that on the radio. So the people that have a concern, voice a concern, they also have the option, too. If you don't want to hear it and we're playing it, which we don't, you can turn it off.

At the same time, people that do have strong opinions usually aren't fans of the music. They express theirselves, they may even rally against it. But at the same time you do have women who will guiltily say well I don't like what they say, but I like the way it makes the dance — I can dance to it and things like that.

GIBSON: Those are good reasons, but has there been sort of an ethic on the business side of this music business to push this stuff, and that maybe record executives are starting to say oops, maybe we pushed people too far?

LITTLE: Well, I don't know if it's necessarily been pushed. I found that even working in a record company that if it starts to take off, they follow it as opposed to they put it out there and if it starts to warm up, they go chasing it. Then they push it a little bit more and what happens also is, ok, this is starting to take off. Let's stay with this trend, let's see what else happens. Let's see if it's going to generate more dollars. So maybe now the fact that 21 percent down is going to wake up a few people and try something different. I don't know.

GIBSON: Helen Little is the programming director at Power 105.1, a radio station that plays hip-hop here in New York City. Helen, thank you very much for coming in.

LITTLE: Thank you.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,256165,00.html

Damn, cats are going at Hip Hop hard right now
Michlake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't trust many reports that come from Fox News
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject:

o'reilly personally has crusaded against rap music. nothing on that network or website is worth your time.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Fox news ask, Is Fox news going out of style? The answer might surprise you. Is there a more biased show in the free press tan "Fox and Friends"? (bleep) dumbass cons. (bleep) them all.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject:

Fox and Friends rule!
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject:

mbloves L.A. wrote:
Fox news ask, Is Fox news going out of style? The answer might surprise you. Is there a more biased show in the free press tan "Fox and Friends"? (bleep) dumbass cons. (bleep) them all.

See you in a couple of weeks.

Anyone else want to shove their keyboard in their mouth?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:35 am    Post subject:

Since they seem to be making money, some may adjust to become more socially acceptable and commercially viable.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject:

Didn't CNN do the something similar about 2 weeks ago...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

Is it this common for liberals to be such loud mouths? Not everyone is in love with the democratic party, the views of Al Gore, or the Daily Report. So please express your opinion with a little more tact. Bleep dumb*** cons is not necessary.

And BTW Fox news is as biased to the right as CNN or the BBC are biased to the left. So please dont act like anyone has a monopoly on being fair and unbiased.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

The thugs like their money. Some of the richer ones want to establish themselves by getting into films and branching out into the public. You won't see honesty on gangster rapper websites. Let's face it. Being exposed as drug dealers and registered sex offenders is bad for business. When people dedicated to education like Bill Cosby speak out, their darkness is exposed. These guys who are enjoying a lot of success and the millions that come with it. The smart ones will turn more mainstream and clean up their image. That's fine. Let the ones that refuse to change and continue to drag down the community go down with their filthy lyrics. Parents need to just say no to gangster rappers. They may be able to intimidate some little websites, even buy them, but it will be hard to silence all their critics. That is the importance of having someone of Bill Cosby's stature speaking out. Bill won't be intimidated. If they try to touch Cosby, they will go down. He would become a martyr. He's hugely popular, so the public outcry would crush them. It's bad for business. If someone who was a drug dealer renounces it and turns around by no longer glorifying drugs, he might find some acceptance. If he continues profiting off of glorifying the drugs that are killing kids, parents have to stand up. That is all parents, not just African American parents. Drugs are slavery. Drugs create hopelessness. They destroy the body and lead to death. Those in that lifestyle are killers. The new civil rights movement is a war against drugs and thugs.

We know the thug tactics. They want to silence their critics by intimidation. They want to accuse their critics of things of the very things that they have done. They hypocritically say their critics don't have a right to speak, while saying they have a right to free speech. People will come forward with false accusations. People will act very offended like this Tupac thing about him being a drug dealer. Demystifying Tupac is bad for business. Parents are waking up to the fact that reputable sources like the New York Times and Rolling Stone Magazine prove Tupac was a drug dealer. Drug dealers destroy the lives of kids. Gangster rappers are just a fashion, because parents are waking up. The parents will stand up, and the rappers who change will survive. The ones who insist on demeaning women and glorifying drugs will die. We decide their fate by refusing to buy and turning from hate. There is hope for change. People do mature and turn away from gangs. They begin to see the futility of killing each other and try to get out. Drugs and thugs are just another form of slavery. Brave men will stand and fight against evil men, who profit off the suffering of their fellow man. No more drugs and thugs! No more slavery! Let nobody and nothing be your master! Let there be no more use of the "N" word to remind us of slavery!
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject:

...video games and violent movies are also soley responsible for the corruption of our youth and future generations. :roll:
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject:

The Buss wrote:
...video games and violent movies are also soley responsible for the corruption of our youth and future generations. :roll:

it's just such an easy solution to a serious problem. kids play video games and so THAT'S why they turned to violence and drugs (the automatic assumption that drugs are bad is a different story for a different discussion).

however we live in a world where a complex and intricate problem like columbine was passed along to marilyn manson, and on television we're shown ads that teach kids that if you smoke marijuana, an alien will steal your girlfriend. our society is very much about instant gratification and quick fixes, which is why the scapegoats of media will always serve the public's interests.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject:

It's funny, but I read a review of Tom Sawyer to my kids in class today... in 1877, the NY Times warned the Tom Sawyer might lead kids to go off on adventures and put themselves in danger... anyway, it's all a matter of perspective. I think most of hip-hop today does suck though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Ted
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
JD wrote:
mbloves L.A. wrote:

Is it this common for liberals to be such loud mouths? Not everyone is in love with the democratic party, the views of Al Gore, or the Daily Report. So please express your opinion with a little more tact. Bleep dumb*** cons is not necessary.

And BTW Fox news is as biased to the right as CNN or the BBC are biased to the left. So please dont act like anyone has a monopoly on being fair and unbiased.

all news channels are crap. we live in a world where anna nicole smiths death dominates the news for 3 weeks while important issues all over the world and in this country are completely ignored by the mainstream media. cnn and fox are both culprits as are the rest of the news outlets. im not left or right, dem or republican, i like to make my own decisions rather than base it on a political party--all those politicians are corrupt anyways and dont care about the issues but about the power--just look at how many times you hear the democratic candidates flip flop on their view of the iraq war, case in point hillary clinton, "whatever sounds good to the public is what we'll roll out"... but anyways...

but out of all the news channels fox news is by far the worst and most biased of them all. they're like the american version of al jazeera, and the sad thing is millions of people in this country listen to those "political analysts", and they believe whats being said. the scary thing, is these people have the power to vote. No offense to you guys who watch Fox news, but fair and balanced my ass. If i want a good laugh I turn on that channel. CNN is pretty garbage also, I prefer the internets.

At least Fox has good t.v. shows, 24 anyone?
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject:

LET'S CONSIDER THE DRUGS FIRST:
Quote:
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the number of Americans dying from the abuse of illegal drugs has leaped by 400 percent in the last two decades, reaching a record 28,000 in 2004. The F.B.I. reported that drug arrests reached an all-time high of 1.8 million in 2005. The Drug Abuse Warning Network, a federal agency that compiles statistics on hospital emergency cases caused by illicit drug abuse, says that number rose to 940,000 in 2004 — a huge increase over the last quarter century. ~~ New York Times

Link to NY Times Article

Nearly a million people will land in hospital emergency rooms this year in the US from illegal drug use. In 2004, 28,000 people died from illegal drug use. That is nearly ten times as many people died in Iraq in a three year period. People get upset about Iraq. Why don't people get upset about ten times the number dying in our streets? How do people get the drugs that kill them? Generally, they get them from drug dealers, either directly or indirectly. If there are no people selling the illegal drug, there would be a lot more people alive today. Drug dealers are a problem. These are generally men who profit off the death and suffering of people. Why make drug dealers into heroes? Gangster rappers, many of whom were drug dealers make their living selling you an image of a lifestyle that includes illegal drugs. Is it good to profit off the suffering of people? Is it good to sell a lifestyle that kills people? People do get addicted. Addiction is a form of slavery. If the drugs have a hold on your life, you end up serving drug dealers with your hard earned dollars going to them. At some point, you may lose a job, because of drugs. What do you do then? It was the drug dealer who sold you the drugs that contributed to your loss. What about families? You can lose your girlfriend, your wife, or kids. You can lose your health. Usually, people are pretty sick to go to an ER. Is a million people going to ERs a problem? Is 28,000 being buried in graves a problem? If nobody sells the drugs, wouldn't that do a lot to eliminate suffering?
The_Lakers_Show
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
It's funny, but I read a review of Tom Sawyer to my kids in class today... in 1877, the NY Times warned the Tom Sawyer might lead kids to go off on adventures and put themselves in danger... anyway, it's all a matter of perspective. I think most of hip-hop today does suck though.

Co-sign
Go Trojans

Buck Foston
Dorray
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
on television we're shown ads that teach kids that if you smoke marijuana, an alien will steal your girlfriend.

Thats one of the dumbest commercials I've ever seen. It kinda looks like a stoner made it too, haha.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject:

hip hop, jazz and breaks. Thats all i need on a deserted island. Plus some naturally growing herbs.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Its funny when these people talk about how it degrades the ladies. and just like Little said. these same ladies will buy it anyway and say, "the hook is catchy and I like dancing to the beat".

Women folks. Women hold a nice share in these hiphop sells. And that right there is baffling.

Its not the image thats turning people off. its not the sex money and drugs. you get that in rock, you had that in other genre's for decades. thats not new. Its the fact that people are not making NEW music. everything is stale and formulaic. Even the guys like Lupe and Kanye. Sound like wanna be Common's. its like, Can I actually get a new sound for once thats not a gimmic sound for the club only(snap music).

The radio stations and the labels DO NOT know how to market anything that isn't marketing itself. Labels are signing artist that already have sold thousands of records independently. The fastest way to get known and sell records. Is to do what? make music for the Club. So everyone is doing that. thats all you here. 95% of the music on the radio is a Club song or a Chick song (rap about how you need a girl, with usually someone singing on the hook). Its a formual folks.

2 chick joints, 2 club bangers, and 1 or 2 gangsta/I'm a hustla anthems and its going gold or higher.

The problem with this formula is that people can download songs one at a time now. this means I no longer have to purchase your entire garbage album to get one good song. And this is legal downloading we're talking about.

Songs of No substance dont last. if they're only for fun and have no real lyrics to them "98.9% of all snap music that gets commercial air play". its here today gone tomorrow. So why would you spend your money on this? Most people will not. and will either download it illegally. or just wait for it to come back on the radio or video. tis only 10 songs in rotation all day long. its not like you're going to miss "YOUR SONG". just hang around for 10 mins. I bet you it comes back on.

Songs with no substance=I wont spend my hard earned money. sure its illegal, but this is how most people think. or they choose not to purchase it at all.

Song with substance=I might just pay for this album(bootlegger mentality). or I will pay for this because I can see playing this song and this album for YEARS to come.

think about it like this. Do you really see yourself playing anything from Young Joc, Young Dro, D4L or Dem Franchize Boyz in 2010? I'm being serious.

I know I dont.

But I'll tell yout his. I will pull up Pete Rock and CL smooth in a hot minute. ANd this is 2007. that came out in the 90's.

I will pull up some old Ice Cube from the 90's.

I can pull up some old Public Enemy. etc, etc, etc.

Substance will always have staying power. Why do these labels put all of their money into things lacking substance. and not do a balancing act? well because people aren't good business men/women. they're out to get the quickest buck possible. they're willing to mortgage it all to make that huge come up over night. It works for a select few. the other are always on the late bus and the ones taking the loses. Open a label on monday and have to shut it down on friday. Because you blew your start up money on 2 fake 50cent & 2 snap music Mcees. once the fad is over. you have nothing left.

thats like investing in Cross Colors or Karl Kani like 2 years after the fact.
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Do you really see yourself playing anything from Young Joc, Young Dro, D4L or Dem Franchize Boyz in 2010? I'm being serious.

Screw 2010, it's 07 and that crap didn't get play yesterday, it won't get play today, and by tomorrow, I will have forgotten about Young <insert name here> or Lil <insert name there>...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
Do you really see yourself playing anything from Young Joc, Young Dro, D4L or Dem Franchize Boyz in 2010? I'm being serious.

it's not fair to take the absolute worst music in a genre and say that all rap sucks because of it. there's a lot of awful rock and roll, pop, r&b, country etc. going on too. there's also a lot of good stuff being made. you think anyone is going to listen to james blunt, akon or fall out boy in a couple years? of course not. that doens't mean there isn't good music in those genres being made.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Dorray wrote:
ocho wrote:
on television we're shown ads that teach kids that if you smoke marijuana, an alien will steal your girlfriend.

Thats one of the dumbest commercials I've ever seen. It kinda looks like a stoner made it too, haha.

Yes, it's no where near as slick as the commercials gangster rappers and others make for the drug lifestyle called music videos. How many have been sucked into images, and instead landed in ERs fighting for survival. It's funny how women are such slaves to fashion. Women want to be cool too. Women want to be sexy and where the men are. Bad boy men have always held an attraction for some women, who try to fill some big holes in their hearts. Women are attracted like moths to a flame. If you look at fashion through the years, women are easily seduced into lifestyles and fashion. The men are more commonly the ones who end up dead, so the availability of African American men is not good, when compared to the number of women. The women follow the men. You can't blame the sisters for being interested in the brothers. Some women stay with their abusers in abusive lifestyles. Some women settle for that, because their self-esteem is so damaged, they cannot even admit that they have settled for less. Some women settle for being treated like a piece of meat, because they think they can change their man. Some women begin to believe that being treated like a prostitute is all they deserve. You don't have to treat "B" words and "H" words with respect. They are treated as unworthy objects of exploitation and abuse. That's what the "N" word is all about too. It's about labeling people as less than human slaves. If you keep saying the "N" word long enough, someone will believe that is all they deserve. If you repeat a stereotype so many times, people begin to believe that it's true.

On the other hand, if you portray women as intelligent competent professionals, and caring, devoted mothers, that image is also emulated. Criticism of gangster rappers is not a condemnation of all rap, it's a condemnation of treating anyone as less than human slaves. I don't want my sisters called "B" words and "H" words. I don't want my brothers called "N" words, because it's demeaning.
Quote:
Inspired while listening to a local radio show about the use of the N word, as well as seeing positive images during Black History month yet hearing negative lyrics in songs we experienced conflict, frustration and an overwhelming sense to "do something". We are using the billboard effect of t-shirts, the internet and the contract idea to pass on information and strengthen the commitment to this movement.

As a small group of Brooklynites who grew up during the original old school era of hip hop, we remember when rap songs never used the "N" word or profanity for that matter. We remember referring to our friends as homeboy and home girl. And we were still cool. We remember the airing of "Roots" and the sting of hearing the "N" word on national television for the first time. Now we ask ourselves what happened. What happened in our community that the "N" word is tossed around freely in everyday language? When the use of it makes you cool, down, accepted.

Our community has come full circle as we extend an invitation to others to call us the “N” word as well and we answer with a smile. Our ancestors must be rocking in their graves. The “N” word is not a term of endearment. It cannot be reapropriated. We cannot redefine the “N” word or re-spell it to make it positive. Racism is so subtle, we now think that we can embrace the “N” word and take away its power. However, not enough time has passed for this concept to be effective. The word is viewed as a racial slur at large, it will continue to be so until it is put away for a generation, and then maybe it can be embraced at such time in a historical context.

Until the pain of this word no longer lingers in society for any of us, we cannot continue to use the “N” word. Every time we use the “N” word it is a slap in the face of our elders and a blatant disrespect to our ancestors. We have not only lost our minds, but we’ve lost consciousness.

The dependency of this word as a greeting, to complete sentences and start conversations is a total disregard for every movement that gave us the many freedoms we enjoy today. This site is our answer to a call to duty. We now challenge you to make a personal commitment and join us in the movement to abolish the “N” word. ~~ from the Website Abolish the "N" word

http://www.abolishthenword.com/homepage.htm

There is a difference between gangster rap and rap in general. What we are talking about is gangster rap. There are dumb commercials, but those don't concern me as much as anything that portrays illegal drug use as good, when we know it kills 28,000 a year and brings nearly a million to ERs each year in the US alone.
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

it's not fair to take the absolute worst music in a genre and say that all rap sucks because of it. there's a lot of awful rock and roll, pop, r&b, country etc. going on too. there's also a lot of good stuff being made. you think anyone is going to listen to james blunt, akon or fall out boy in a couple years? of course not. that doens't mean there isn't good music in those genres being made.

P&P mentions PE and Pete Rock... yeah, I can still play that. But of all the "popular" rappers out there, only Kanye really has a chance of being played 10 years from now. Rap today consists of rapping about gold teeth and crap like that. IMO, the only hip-hop artists who will be played 10 years from now are Nas, The Roots, Jay-Z and a couple of others who rap about life, not all the "bling" that they get for being morons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
2 chick joints, 2 club bangers, and 1 or 2 gangsta/I'm a hustla anthems and its going gold or higher.

Kind of like when the Hair bands were all trying to come up with "Power ballad" in the 80's. The sad truth is that whatever sells is going to be replicated over and over until it is completley dead. The whole hair band thing is pretty much dead now days, unfortunately Hip Hop seems to be going the same way.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject:

mike_dee23 wrote:
ocho wrote:
postandpivot wrote:

P&P mentions PE and Pete Rock... yeah, I can still play that. But of all the "popular" rappers out there, only Kanye really has a chance of being played 10 years from now. Rap today consists of rapping about gold teeth and crap like that. IMO, the only hip-hop artists who will be played 10 years from now are Nas, The Roots, Jay-Z and a couple of others who rap about life, not all the "bling" that they get for being morons.

see what i mean Mike? Look at that list. Nas-Old head, Jigga=Old head, Roots=90's.

Why is it that guys from my era have to come with an album to "save the genre". I'm not talking sales. I'm talking Solid music with substance. there have always been gangsta rapper aka rappers that rap about the hood. But tell a story atleast. stop saying the same two lines over and over again. then throw in a adlib and a little swagger and its all gravy. You will not be played in 3 years from now. let alone 10. But some of these dudes became well off so quickly they dont care. Because some were never supposed to be rappers to begin with. They didnt' want to be one for the love of actually making music. they wanted to make money the fast way. and hey, rapping is a legal. so its better then doing what I'm talking about. thats the mindset nowadays.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: