Josh McRoberts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Josh McRoberts

If he is available, what are the chances the Lakers take him?

I would think he is the type of player that the coaching staff would like. Good ball-handling and passing skills. Unselfish, good mobility, capable scorer. In a way he is raw, but I do think he could contribute some right away.

Thoughts?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:

All that talent on offense but soft and lacking intensity on the defensive end...yup the coaching staff will love him.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

He definitely needs to get stronger physically and on defense (the two go hand in hand) but like you implied, I think the coaches would be willing to overlook that.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject:

For some reason McRoberts reminds me of Charlie Villanueva when he came out. Everybody knew that he had all the tools to play, but people were questioning his desire, passion and the ability to put it all together. A lot of people thought he would slip into the late lottery or further. He ended up going 7th and has been one of the best players in that draft (outside of CP3 and Deron). I think that theres a good chance that once McRoberts hits the NBA his skills will translate well and people will forget that he had a mediocre college career.
SHAQ/KOBE=#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject:

McRoberts isn't as skilled as Charlie (he can't play sf) but certainly has plenty of potential.
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I didn't mean their games, just the fact that they have been knocked for their perceived lack intensity. And that they both have a lot of talent.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject:

DoubleClutch wrote:
Yeah, I didn't mean their games, just the fact that they have been knocked for their perceived lack intensity. And that they both have a lot of talent.

Villanueva lacked intensity, but he wasn't soft.

McRoberts doesn't lack intensity, but he is soft.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Quack
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject:

I was looking at a video of his highlights, and some there were things i didnt like. The biggest being that he seemed to only dunk when no one was around him, otherwise he seemed to spin away from the basket and avoid contact. To add to that i saw a play where he was taking it to the basket and saw the defender and instead of taking it strong and getting the contact, he stopped and shot a little jumper, which is nice.....is your a PG. What i did like was his ball handling skills, looked very natural with his dribble. Also he is good at reacting to a play. For example he does a god job of cutting and coming from weak to strong, and goes after the offensive rebound when its there. Overall i wouldnt take him in the first round because to play PF, he needs to be able to get to take it to the basket strong, not take it to the basket, spin away and shoot a jumper.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject:

He is a Mitch type pick....I like him but he is a little soft and is at best an average defender(we have enough of these players...I think he could be a future starter at the 4 in the TRI....He has all the tools to be...he just needs some tuneing up....I could see him doing 12-7-4 in the TRI in a couple years
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
He is a Mitch type pick

But he is not a Jimmy Buss type pick, fortunately for us.

Jimmy has veto power over picks.I think he lets the staff select a soft tri prospect in the second round but not the first.

Nick Young or Brandon Rush somebody like that in the first.

McRoberts,Fazekas,J. Smith or Radenovic in the 2nd seems likely.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
He is a Mitch type pick

But he is not a Jimmy Buss type pick, fortunately for us.

Jimmy has veto power over picks.I think he lets the staff select a soft tri prospect in the second round but not the first.

Nick Young or Brandon Rush somebody like that in the first.

McRoberts,Fazekas,J. Smith or Radenovic in the 2nd seems likely.

That's why I not only like Rush, I think the Lakers might even consider drafting him. He has some skills that Mitch would like (shooting and passing) and he is a physical specimen (long arms, quick, solid leaper) which should appeal to Jimmy.
jacexface
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject:

i honestly think McRoberts is not a bad player. He didn't have the greatest year but man, you really have to look at that Duke team. It was not that talented IMO. Not that white players are bad but, man, did they have a lot of the unathletic white guys. I think Josh would fit in really well with our team as the triangle PF because he can shoot that midrange and he hustles like no other. Two years ago, people were talking about him going in Top 10. We have to think about that too.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

jacexface wrote:
i honestly think McRoberts is not a bad player. He didn't have the greatest year but man, you really have to look at that Duke team. It was not that talented IMO. Not that white players are bad but, man, did they have a lot of the unathletic white guys. I think Josh would fit in really well with our team as the triangle PF because he can shoot that midrange and he hustles like no other. Two years ago, people were talking about him going in Top 10. We have to think about that too.

He's still got lottery type talent, the problem is his lack of assertiveness, but that shouldn't be a problem on the lakers. Obviously he lacks athelticism, I'd compare him to a present day Webber. Need I remind everyone that not too long ago we would've killed to sign a modern day Webber. So keep that in mind.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: