View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jacko
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
MadLaker wrote:
Do people have nothing better to say than "I'm not sure on his strength"

Like no dur that's kind obvious, tons of players have came in without "nba ready" bodies.

Anyways I think his success will greatly depend on what team takes him. I think for alot of foreign players, the perfect environment and system during their early career are extremely important, more so for alot of college kids

If the Suns take him, he'll be a strong player. If not, then it's really a toss up

Mentioning strength is extremely important, especially since Yi's:

a) Built like a twig,
b) Faces smaller players overseas,
c) Reportedly has trouble against stronger opponents.
d. Quite possibly older than his listed age.

Do you wish to share your secret scouting methods for assessing NBA PF prospects? If not, then questioning Yi's strength is pretty damn important, don't you think?

strength can be improve.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Jacko wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
MadLaker wrote:
Do people have nothing better to say than "I'm not sure on his strength"

Like no dur that's kind obvious, tons of players have came in without "nba ready" bodies.

Anyways I think his success will greatly depend on what team takes him. I think for alot of foreign players, the perfect environment and system during their early career are extremely important, more so for alot of college kids

If the Suns take him, he'll be a strong player. If not, then it's really a toss up

Mentioning strength is extremely important, especially since Yi's:

a) Built like a twig,
b) Faces smaller players overseas,
c) Reportedly has trouble against stronger opponents.
d. Quite possibly older than his listed age.

Do you wish to share your secret scouting methods for assessing NBA PF prospects? If not, then questioning Yi's strength is pretty damn important, don't you think?

strength can be improve.

So can shooting.
So can skills.
So can maturity/leadership.
So can his English.
So can....

In other words, let's just draft someone tall, and forget every attribute that defines an NBA player.

Realistically, stength and all the above attributes determine:

1. When he can contribute meaningfully.
2. His ceiling, in terms of strength. The older you are, the lower the ceiling, as your best strength building years are behind you.
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject:

Here's him going a a talented team, the World Champion Spain Team featuring Pau Gasol

He throws it down a couple of times,

A few plays later Gasol gets made and "In jor Face"

AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Yi was probaly at the Lakers game because he's in LA probaly getting ready for the draft and doing some promotions/training. Sun Yue is also in LA but he plays for a Chinese team in the ABA league. Sun Yue is said to be 6'9 with PG skills, does that mean Lakers are going to draft him? lol

I'm not a fan of overhyping Yi because there's tons of talent in this draft, if he slips I wouldn't mind him going to the Lakers...but the fact of the matter is, he'll go lottery. Not to mention he was outmuscled and outplayed by Wang Zhi Zhi for Christ sakes! WANG Zhi Zhi! who is probaly a poor man's Brian Cook
LVLAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject:

But he's only 19 years old. Give him time.

Sound familiar. I hope we don't draft another project.
AD/MORRIS/DUDLEY
GASOL/HARRELL/TINKLE
Coachs:Vogel/Kidd
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject:

NOODLESTYLE wrote:
Yi was probaly at the Lakers game because he's in LA probaly getting ready for the draft and doing some promotions/training. Sun Yue is also in LA but he plays for a Chinese team in the ABA league. Sun Yue is said to be 6'9 with PG skills, does that mean Lakers are going to draft him? lol

I'm not a fan of overhyping Yi because there's tons of talent in this draft, if he slips I wouldn't mind him going to the Lakers...but the fact of the matter is, he'll go lottery. Not to mention he was outmuscled and outplayed by Wang Zhi Zhi for Christ sakes! WANG Zhi Zhi! who is probaly a poor man's Brian Cook

Yea but was seen mingling with Magic and coming from the the lakers

hallway. Lakers have been linked to this kid in numerous incidents. But

who can give up to get him other than Bynum or Odom. Only two players

I would like in this draft that would involve our Core is Durant or Oden.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
But he's only 19 years old. Give him time.

Sound familiar. I hope we don't draft another project.

I wouldn't be so sure about the "But he's only 19 years old" line. He might be 22 or 23 this year. That's part of the problem in drafting him.
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject:

The LAKERS are not going to trade up in the drat. If anything they will frade out of it! They do not need any more rookies or inexperienced players.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers seem to like sending misleading signals. He's one of those players who likely won't drop out of the top ten, but he looks like another Skita. He seems to be 22 years old. He may be worth drafting if he falls to the Lakers pick at #19. I can't see the Lakers trading up for him. I can see using the pick and perhaps a player or two to obtain a veteran player, who can immediately contribute. If the Lakers could get Chauncey Billups for Kwame, Farmar and the #19 overall pick, I would make the move. Billups will be 31 years old next season, so the Pistons may be reluctant to commit major money in a long-term contract. If Kwame makes a huge leap in his game, he may be worth keeping, but they may not mind letting him walk to clear salary. Billups would be worth more to the Lakers, because they need to get someone to help Kobe in his prime. The draft might yield a good player, but he might not be ready in time. I like Jordan Farmar. He may be the next Lindsey Hunter, but he may be too young to help Kobe the way Billups can help now. Billups would avoid wasting Kobe's prime. The Lakers can re-sign Chris Mihm to be in tandem with Bynum. The Lakers can afford to trade Kwame if they get a quality player in return.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm not a fan of the kid. The Lakers aren't the right situation for him.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

The prime target for the Lakers will be KG if he's available. I have a feeling the Lakers may be anxious to get something done to get a player to help Kobe in his prime. Billups is a two-way player, who could help improve the defense as well as the offense. I think the Lakers may be interested in Andre Miller at a lower price. I would do a straight-up Kwame for Miller deal.
NOODLESTYLE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Great One"]
NOODLESTYLE wrote:
[b]

Yea but was seen mingling with Magic and coming from the the lakers

hallway. Lakers have been linked to this kid in numerous incidents. But

who can give up to get him other than Bynum or Odom. Only two players

I would like in this draft that would involve our Core is Durant or Oden.

The Lakers are probaly linked to alot of players in the draft, just like previous years....Gerald Green comes to mind. Yi was probaly mingling with Magic because heck...Yi Jianlin is supposed to be the next big thing coming from China, I'm sure Magic wanted show some hospitality and talk to Yi and vice versa.

Even if the Lakers were interested,I don't see what the Lakers could offer to get Yi Jianlin. Unless Lakers are willing to give up Odom but they would probaly want a package of players in return. There was that rumor of Odom for Aldridge/Roy...seeing how Roy and Aldridge might become in the future, that may have been a sweet deal...but still hurts the fact that we have Kobe Bryant and we need players who are ready to play now. I can only imagine Yi getting lost in the triangle and getting PWNED by
Jake Tsakalidis.

Yi has also been linked to Golden State Warriors for a long time because of the fact they play in the bay Area and would be huge in terms of revenue and marketing....so if Yi does happen to be shopped around when he is drafted, I doubt he goes to the Lakers.

Lakers probaly have a better chance of signing 7'8 Sun Ming Ming than getting Yi Jianlin.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Yi JianLian was at the game on Sunday

xvanwilderx wrote:
Hey guys,

Take this however you want, but Yi JianLian was at the game on Sunday. He came in from the Lakers hallway. He was talking to the Magic Man, Jack Haley, AC Green, and a couple of others who look connected with the Lakers. He came in around the third quarter. Maybe we're doing some early recruiting?

Yi will be drafted by a team with a higher pick. Certainly is an intruging prospect and could generate a lot of buzz if drafted here among the Asian American community the way Yao Ming did for Houston. And of course, generate more revenue that could induce Buss to loosen the purse-strings a bit.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject:

Or maybe the Lakers have learned to work out everyone after about a 5 rank in case they drop (see Kareem Rush).
DoubleClutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject:

LVLAKERFAN wrote:
Here's him going a a talented team, the World Champion Spain Team featuring Pau Gasol

He throws it down a couple of times,

A few plays later Gasol gets made and "In jor Face"

"oh my goo-ness! . . . oh my goo-ness!"
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sold at all... he cant bang the post, too slow for the perimeter. Potentially one of all-time biggest busts.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: