SD247's Top 8 Prospects For the Lakers...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: SD247's Top 8 Prospects For the Lakers...

1. F Thaddeus Young- I've really liked this player from Georgia Tech for some time now. I think he's one of the most underrated players in the draft. To me he's a poor man's Kevin Durant. With him and LO the Lakers would have two versatile fowards who can do many things.
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=450

2. F/C Tiago Splitter
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=25

3. F/C Josh McRoberts
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=227

4. G/F Brandon Rush
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=78

5. G Rudy Fernandez
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=22

6. G/F Nick Young
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=385

7. F Al Thornton
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=591

8. F/C Joakim Noah (Darkhorse)
http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=589

Last edited by ShowtimeDynasty_24/7 on Fri May 04, 2007 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject:

Not a bad list, but many of the players on your list won't make it out of the lotto let alone fall all the way to #19 such as Noah & Thornton.

I really do hate McRobert's game- guy is soft, we don't need any more soft players. Splitter would help right away and he is 7 feet tall. It would be stretch to think that he would fall to us, but if he is there, he would be hard to pass up. He has a ton of experience in Europe and has lead his team to the final four there this season. Not the best leaper, but he can play some good post D and has a limited aray of scoring moves.

T Young might be worth a look- he is pretty big for an SF with a 7'1" wingspan and good scoring touch. Not the best defender though and he has poor handles. I guess down this low, you are not going to find the perfect pick Corey Brewer.

All in all I hope we trade our picks to get some vets on the squad, we have too much youth as it is.
Justwar
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: .

If Brandon Rush is there, take him over ANY of these guys. He's a healthier version of Caron Butler
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I put Noah in there, because I feel come draft time his stock will drop because he really doesn't have a set position (PF, SF, C?), and there are fears he's just a great college player and may turn out to be just a solid NBA player.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject:

1. Gabe Pruitt
2. Thaddeus Young
3. Javaris Crittenton
4. Nick Young
5. Brandan Rush
6. Josh McRoberts
7. Ante Tomic
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject:

We're probably going to get a swingman SG/SF who can play D and hit his standing jumpers. Someone like Nick Young/Brandon Rush or in the 2nd round, Afflalo. Keep in mind, Phil hates using rooks and uses them as a last ditch option so whoever we draft better get used to the NBADL or find a comfy spot on the bench. If we draft PG, PF, or C, they'll likely sit behind Bynum, Turiaf, and Farmar anyways so they'll be of little use.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Thaddeus Young looks like the best potential of the picks, and Noah may slip but you'd have to deal up (say 10-15) to get him. McRoberts looks like a Phil pick that would be able to contribute now but not much potential.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject:

Sky from Clublakers said that the Lakers are very interested in Young... thats what I like to hear! Before the start of last season people were debating who would go #2 in the '08 draft after Oden. Durant and Young were the two players they were debating...
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject:

This was in Thaddeus Young's draftexpress profile:

"Young’s lack of a right hand also hinders his finishing ability. Young avoids going to his weaker hand virtually at all costs, and when presented with an opportunity to finish cleanly with his right hand at the basket, he’ll instead make things more difficult by switching to his left hand in mid-air.

The lack of a right hand has made it easier for teams to defend Young, as they position their defenders to his left, daring him to go to his weaker hand. This, combined with his absolute refusal to go into the post and utilize his excellent natural tools to his advantage, is the main reason why he’s averaging just two free throw attempts per game, a stat that puts him at the absolute bottom of this draft class in that category."

"Momentarily, mid-way through the first half, we thought that the light bulb may have finally come on for Young in realizing what his strengths and weaknesses are. He was defended by players who are 3-4 inches shorter than him all day long, and finally decided to take them into the post and utilize his size and athleticism to do more than just toss up outside shots. Young showed terrific quickness and a beautiful left-handed jump-hook off a pretty spin move, and then received the ball again in the post the next time down the floor and was immediately fouled.

That was the extent of him playing up the strengths for the day, though, as he immediately faded back onto the perimeter and did a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the game, going back to his mid-range game. He settled for a long-range jumper off the dribble that he missed badly, and then had his next attempt blocked after curiously trying to get fancy with the ball for no particular reason. "

Yep, he seems to have all of Odom's shortcomings all right.
ArrOhBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject:

at 19. i draft him in a heart beat
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Where is Acie Law? I like him better.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
1. Gabe Pruitt
2. Thaddeus Young
3. Javaris Crittenton
4. Nick Young
5. Brandan Rush
6. Josh McRoberts
7. Ante Tomic

Switch Thaddeus Young and Gabe Pruitt, and that's pretty damn similar to my list.

I doubt Acie Law falls down to 19. I'd be absolutely shocked if he did.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Smel Counts wrote:
This was in Thaddeus Young's draftexpress profile:

"Young’s lack of a right hand also hinders his finishing ability. Young avoids going to his weaker hand virtually at all costs, and when presented with an opportunity to finish cleanly with his right hand at the basket, he’ll instead make things more difficult by switching to his left hand in mid-air.

The lack of a right hand has made it easier for teams to defend Young, as they position their defenders to his left, daring him to go to his weaker hand. This, combined with his absolute refusal to go into the post and utilize his excellent natural tools to his advantage, is the main reason why he’s averaging just two free throw attempts per game, a stat that puts him at the absolute bottom of this draft class in that category."

"Momentarily, mid-way through the first half, we thought that the light bulb may have finally come on for Young in realizing what his strengths and weaknesses are. He was defended by players who are 3-4 inches shorter than him all day long, and finally decided to take them into the post and utilize his size and athleticism to do more than just toss up outside shots. Young showed terrific quickness and a beautiful left-handed jump-hook off a pretty spin move, and then received the ball again in the post the next time down the floor and was immediately fouled.

That was the extent of him playing up the strengths for the day, though, as he immediately faded back onto the perimeter and did a whole lot of nothing for the rest of the game, going back to his mid-range game. He settled for a long-range jumper off the dribble that he missed badly, and then had his next attempt blocked after curiously trying to get fancy with the ball for no particular reason. "

Yep, he seems to have all of Odom's shortcomings all right.

I think he is possibly a Odom clone with more athletic ability, and more potential...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Young is more aggressive, and less disciplined.

Odom does have a more disciplined game.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:12 pm    Post subject:

It's a very hard call....even though you can say we need a PG or PF, and even a SF depending on what moves we make...it seems like no one we draft will end up being better than who we have. Do you think any of the SGs will be better than Mo? Will any PG under Conley and Law be as good as Farmar? Will any SF, even if he's athletic, be as good or smart as Luke? We are really too low to expect anything but a decent backup, and as of now, our team has plenty of backups...just not enough strong starters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:

^^There are some great athletes in this draft that are going to fall because of the glut of big men. The Lakers need athleticism badly after years of drafting Cooks, and Sashas, and Lukes, and Douthits, if anything to improve the game speed of the starters through more challenging practices.

Plus, the organization is going to have to manage some upgrades to the triangle. This team needs to run more and the triangle doesn't seem to inspire all out effort, whereas a team like Golden State looks like they're going to fall dead on the court from sheer speed.

There's no other way at this point to upgrade the athleticism on this team. Because they've drafted for and signed--ehem, Radmanovich, McKee, Divacs--some even-par talent, if not sub-par, there are no pieces to trade for an upgrade in talent.

The Lakers are going to have to add one athlete per draft for the next three years--why not?--for them to counter balance a roster of average athletes.

We all want Kobe and the Lakers to win now, but the Lakers are on the cusp of either falling into oblivion by panicking, or gradually building into a superior team. They will not become superior over night.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject:

R-Tistic wrote:
It's a very hard call....even though you can say we need a PG or PF, and even a SF depending on what moves we make...it seems like no one we draft will end up being better than who we have. Do you think any of the SGs will be better than Mo? Will any PG under Conley and Law be as good as Farmar? Will any SF, even if he's athletic, be as good or smart as Luke? We are really too low to expect anything but a decent backup, and as of now, our team has plenty of backups...just not enough strong starters.

AT 19 there will be at least on player available that will at least make 1 all-star game. Maybe not a perrenial all-star but one of those guys that are near all-star talent that gets in at least one year when they have their career year or get in as a life time achievement award.

Problems is identifying him. That guy will be better that Luke or Mo or whatever.

OJ Mayo
Derrick Rose
Nicolas Batum
Michael Beasley
Chase Budinger
Darrell Arthur
R-Tistic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:51 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
R-Tistic wrote:

AT 19 there will be at least on player available that will at least make 1 all-star game. Maybe not a perrenial all-star but one of those guys that are near all-star talent that gets in at least one year when they have their career year or get in as a life time achievement award.

Problems is identifying him. That guy will be better that Luke or Mo or whatever.

That's definitely true....but identifying him is like playing where's Waldo at a football stadium. There are always Josh Howard's, Gilbert Arenas, and Rashard Lewis', but it's basically a lottery styled guess and prediction to who will be like this, so I never count on that. The same way that there are these diamonds in the rough who are slept on...there are the Samaki Walkers and Darkos who get drafted before the Kobe's and Dwyane Wade's.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject:

I would trade the #19 in a heartbeat if it meant getting Kobe an All-Star caliber player to help while he's still in his prime.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 12:52 am    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
1. Gabe Pruitt
2. Thaddeus Young
3. Javaris Crittenton
4. Nick Young
5. Brandan Rush
6. Josh McRoberts
7. Ante Tomic

I love Pruitt's game, but isn't he staying in college?
Flatlyner
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject:

Thornton is a beast! I would love to have him in the P&G!
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject:

Rush and Young are my two favorite picks. For far to long have we passed up athletic guard/forwards.

I loved watching Rush at Kansas. While I doubt he will ever be a all-star, I do think he will develop into a very solid starter. The potential is there for him to become a very good defender as well.

I couldn't help myself but notice how he would plug right into the 3 spot in the triangle. Anyone that watched him knows he was money from the the left corner 3. Luke gets the same shot a lot in the triangle all the time.

Splitter would be my dark horse because every thing I hear and read about him screams Andris Biedrins and I think mobile 7 footers in that mold is the future of the NBA. With the zone rules they have become very valuable.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I couldn't help myself but notice how he would plug right into the 3 spot in the triangle. Anyone that watched him knows he was money from the the left corner 3. Luke gets the same shot a lot in the triangle all the time.

Not just that, but his A/TO ratio improved dramatically and it was obvious that despite his D.George-like ball-handling, he was still able to create plays for teammates as well as defend the opposing teams best player.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject:

In my next update I will have explanations beside each player and why they would help the Lakers. Brandon Rush will probably be #2, I have been watching some of his games and I am loving his skillset and potential...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: