Help write a set of LG community standards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Help write a set of LG community standards

We already have a fine TOS (which everyone should be acquainted with) but I think an additional set of guidelines created in collaboration with the LG community would be beneficial for all.

A few of the top of my head…

• Do not bump ancient threads just to show up another poster or to relieve boredom. (We recently banned a user for excessive bumping)

• Do not start threads with vague titles that force users to open them just to see what they’re about. “OMG I CAN’T BELIEVE IT” is not a good thread title.

• Do not start a thread with the stated objective to call out an individual poster or a certain portion of the fan base. “I’M SICK OF THESE SASHA LOVERS” is not a good thread title or premise for that matter. Instead try and frame your argument in such a way that people won’t feel personally attacked.

*Note that violations are unlikely to result in a banning unless specific prior warnings are ignored, or you forget to take your meds and go completely nuts.

Please reply with any suggestions you can think of.

Thank You
LAL25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject:

Not really TOS related but a general suggestion for LG:

One thing I've always thought would make a lot of sense here at LG specifically is that there be a separate Kobe forum. Quite a few posts are more Kobe-related than Kobe-Lakers related, which is fine since he's the franchise player, but I really feel like the Lakers lounge should be about the Lakers team and their play.

For instance if there is news about Kobe liking a certain trade or free agent signing (we can always hope), then that clearly belongs in the Lounge since it is both Kobe and Lakers related. But these kind of threads:

Joe McSlob hating on Kobe again
BSPN hating on Kobe again
Kobe and his wife divorcing
Happy Birthday Kobe's kid
Proof Kobe is better than MJ already

etc, etc, etc...kind of take the focus out from the LAKERS lounge. A Kobe forum would probably be welcome by all the Kobe fans here and would result in less clutter at the lounge.

Just my 2 cents.
PushingtheLimit
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

LAL25 wrote:
Not really TOS related but a general suggestion for LG:

One thing I've always thought would make a lot of sense here at LG specifically is that there be a separate Kobe forum. Quite a few posts are more Kobe-related than Kobe-Lakers related, which is fine since he's the franchise player, but I really feel like the Lakers lounge should be about the Lakers team and their play.

For instance if there is news about Kobe liking a certain trade or free agent signing (we can always hope), then that clearly belongs in the Lounge since it is both Kobe and Lakers related. But these kind of threads:

Joe McSlob hating on Kobe again
BSPN hating on Kobe again
Kobe and his wife divorcing
Happy Birthday Kobe's kid
Proof Kobe is better than MJ already

etc, etc, etc...kind of take the focus out from the LAKERS lounge. A Kobe forum would probably be welcome by all the Kobe fans here and would result in less clutter at the lounge.

Just my 2 cents.

The problem is, that alot of other players get the same kind of thread(Kwame cake incident, Praising Odom, Turiaf playing for national team) Any thread related to a Laker player, is Laker related. So I think a Kobe only forum would be too much, but that's just my opinion.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject:

uberzev,

Here is a post I made from a couple of years ago.

Quote:
This is not intended to insult or tick anyone off. It is just a list of suggestions that some people may find useful when posting on the LG board. Some suggestions have already been made (use the search function, etc) but I have some I would like to add.

1. When posting a statement or arguing a point, back it up with stats, facts, logic, articles, and/or postings from other web sites. Posting “Luke Walton is better than Lamar Odom at SF” without anything to back it up leaves you open to criticism.

2. When posting a question, explain what you are looking for and why. Other posters may take a lot of time looking up an answer for you. It helps them in their research of they know exactly why you are trying to find the answer. Posting “How did Kwame Brown do against the Spurs?” is a different question than “How did Kwame Brown do against the Spurs? I want to know if he held Tim Duncan below his season averages.”

3. When arguing a point or position, realize you are not going to change everyone’s mind to your point of view. Sometimes you just have to agree to disagree. Wolfpaclaker and I disagree on how well Mitch has done his job. We have gone back and forth until we agreed to disagree. It is like trying to convince SHOES that Derek Fisher is not a very good point guard or Sky that we do not need a Doberman point guard. They are not going to change their mind so just make your point and move on.

4. When disagreeing with another poster, it is normally best to ignore the first personal jab. Some posters will try and feel you out to see if they can get you riled up and respond. You may have said something that inadvertently offended them and they see themselves as just responding to you. Not responding to the first jab indicates to most people you are a serious and responsible poster and most will treat you as such.

5. When you see someone making an ass out of themselves, just PM one of the mods (preferably JD) and let them deal with it. They will be happy to handle those types of situations. No need to make yourself look bad by going (bleep) for tat with them. You could wind up with the same punishment they get.

6. The easier your post is to read; the more likely it will be accepted. Postings like "OMG, IMO, teh best plaer iz Duncan!!!1" take time to decipher and are more likely to be ignored than responded to.

7. Trolls (posters from other boards who want to start some crap on our board) need to be ignored. The more people respond to them, the more they keep coming and the more trash they keep talking. Again, the best way to deal with them is to PM one of the mods. They will be happy to deal with it.

8. Use the search function prior to starting a new thread. We would all like to be first at posting something new but it rarely happens on this board due to the many members who seem to live on the board. If you accidentally start a duplicate thread, you can go back to your post and click on the delete button under the message you used to start the thread. Deleting the first message in the thread will delete the entire thread. Or you can PM one of the mods and ask that your thread be merged into one with more replied.

Most importantly, enjoy yourselves on the board. We come here for fun, for entertainment and because we love the Lakers. Put a little humor into your posts every once in a while and it will make everyone’s life a little happier.

Thanks,
Laker7

prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject:

If you have to put "OT" in the thread title, then it doesn't belong in that forum.

The URL feature: learn it, use it, love it

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:07 am    Post subject:

Totally agree with the need to avoid ambiguous thread titles Nothing ticks me off more than opening a thread only to find out I could care less about its theme.

Other considerations:

I know people don't like to use the P & M thread as they feel their opinion will be ignored amongst all the other members that are here solely to complain about things. However, if the sole intention of your being here is to voice your opposition to every move or non-move the Laker organization makes, then you probably need to find another hobby, one that doesn't piss you off so much. How about for every negative you bring up, try to balance it out with a reason why you remain a Laker fan through thick and thin. If that's not the case then why are you here?
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:44 am    Post subject:

I agree with consolidating the topics about Kobe, but how about if we do it in one thread instead of moving it to a different forum? I don't go to the other forums much because there is little activity on them, but sometimes I like to read the latest interview or insight into what our franchise player is doing.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:52 am    Post subject:

If there is a 50-page thread on a certain topic, or even a two-page thread, there is no need to start a new thread. There already is a KG-pipe thread, or a trade for JO thread. No need to start a new one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:

My suggestions:
No sweeping negative statements about players
All Laker players have fans here. No Laker is the worst player in the NBA. No Laker is a zero. No Laker is pathetic. No Laker is worse than the guys you play pick up ball with. Sweeping negative statements tend to produce lots of emotionally charged flame wars and should be avoided.

Recent examples:
Quote:
If Sasha Vujacic still is playing in the regular rotation this year, it is a sign the Lakers have completely given up.

What else does this guy have to do to prove he can't play?

Any good team would have put this guy out to pasture long ago, it is an absolute joke that he is even still on the team, much less in the rotation. Worst player in the NBA today, by a pretty wide margin too.

Quote:
However what sunk the Lakers is not a specificc draft but 3 straight drafts in which the Lakers got "zero" , "nada" in Rush, Cook, and Sasha- for now , consider Walton as nada.

Don't hijack threads with trade suggestions
There is a trade forum. If you have got a trade idea that you have to share, share it there. Exception: if there is a thread in the Lounge about rumors about the Lakers trading to acquire a particular player, then posting trade ideas for that player is appropriate.

I can remember this was particularly bad when Artest had demanded a traded from the Pacers and just about every thread got hijacked into a discussion of Artest trade ideas.

Don't respond to a fact-based argument with a "This is stupid" response
If someone takes the time to cite facts to support their opinion and you disagree with them, take the time to cite some facts to support your opinion. If instead, you derisively comment about their other person's opinion, you are very likely to make that person upset.

Recent example:
First reply to a long posting analyzing the drafting record of GM's:
Quote:
The fact that Sasha Vukivichmecalf got a positive 0.5 on being drafted in 2003 makes your whole chart fiction

Sparingly use all caps, large font and/or bold
The person using such effects while stating an opinion is obviously trying to provoke others.

Recent example:
The OP in a thread titled, "Do you think Mitch sucks? That Jerry West is a BETTER GM? THINK AGAIN ACCORDING A NEW RANKING OF GMS!"
Quote:
Thaaaaaaat's RIGHT! You heard it.

MITCH IS THE BETTER GM!!!!!

(According to a mathematical forum, of course!)

Not the best of course, middle of the pack in fact, but take a lookie at where good ole Jerry is ranked.....

NEAR THE BOTTOM!!!!!!

Don't make a new thread to re-hash something that has been thoroughly discussed
You think the Lakers should trade for JO? Or that Mitch should be fired? Well, there are lots of threads where these topics have been discussed. The odds are very good that your opinion isn't so unique that it needs a thread of its own. Just add it to one of those existing threads.

Recent examples:
One the front page currently is a "Mitch interview LA Daily News" thread, a "Get JO or Mitch has to GO" thread and a "I think it's time (that Magic replace Mitch)" thread. The last two threads should have been posts to the first thread instead of separate threads.
hitmankb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

Im sooooooo sick of titles that have nothing to do with what the actual thread is about!!

You open it up thinking its one thing, and it something completely different!!

Request for the MODs, its so annoying when you merge a thread and the link starts at the first page!!!

If you merge a thread, can you link it to the page where you merged to post into? I hate it when theres updated info and you have to search the last 5 or 6 pages of a 37 page thread to find the info you want!!!
AllorNothing on Ron Artest
Quote:
He should be let go of his contract by the Kings to pursue a topnotch psychiatrist in LA.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject:

1. No Derogatory Names - This refers to fans and actually Laker players. For fans, no calling people "Kobe haters/apologists, Bynum hater/lovers/apologists, etc." For players themselves, no more "Odumb," "Puke," etc. I think doing so just inflames people needlessly and shows general disrespect and a lack of class.

2. No Starting a Thread W/ OT in the General Forum - From time to time you see a thread with the title "OT" or "Semi-OT." This is the first clue they are in the wrong forum posting, so to me, without even reading the thread, it should automatically be locked or moved to the OT forum.

3. Clear Thread Titles - As uberzev stated, a thread title should give a clear indication of what is being discussed in the thread. IMO, any thread title which is insufficient should automatically be locked.

4. Minimize Redundant Threads and AVOID the "New Topic" Button - Every effort should be made to consolodate and avoid thread redundancy. I would love to see more merging as often I find various threads all going over the same arguments.

5. Try to Avoid Overquoting - There comes a point where a series of posters (often just two posters in one large debate) keep quoting eachother until that quote becomes egregiously long. There is no reason for such a long string of quotes and all it does is make the thread harder to weave through. Such a practice should be avoided.

6. Try to Avoid Making Threads or Changing Existing Threads To be About Trade Suggestions - This happens to much and some posters are trade happy. I get if there is a relevant rumored trade people wish to discuss, but often its just about what the Lakers should pursue, suiggesting a trade out of thin air. There is a rumor forum for that.

7. When Posting a News Story, Put the Content of the Story in a Quote Box - I don't like it when someone posts a news story and just paste the text as normal font inside their post. It makes it hard to read IMO and hard to decipher from other posts. Also, a URL should ALWAYS be included.

8. Avoid Posting Random Arguments From Other Fan Sites - If there is a great post which makes a point from RealGM or CL, then that's fine with me. However, I often see "Did you see what blah blah blah said about blah blah blah over at (RealGM or CL)?" We have more than enough random arguments here... if I wanted to know what people at other websites were saying, I would go to those websites.

9. No Threads Started to Discuss Unsubstantiated Rumors from RealGM - Unless there is a link to an official news outlet, no rumor from a REALGM message board should EVER be posted at LG.

... I guess that's it, for now

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject:

my biggest pet peeve is posters that would rather go to extreme measures to prove another poster wrong than provide a valid post of their own.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

5. Try to Avoid Overquoting - There comes a point where a series of posters (often just two posters in one large debate) keep quoting eachother until that quote becomes egregiously long. There is no reason for such a long string of quotes and all it does is make the thread harder to weave through. Such a practice should be avoided.

Thats the biggest one. The pages just become EXTREMELY long, and its kinda annoying. Anyways, thats my rant!
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject:

Oh, I forgot, proper grammar and spelling really makes this whole thing easier to read. Is this an issue for you? Click this link:

Click me!

Speaking of links, as someone above suggested, please use the URL function LG has. Do not make pages spread out all the way to the side with stupid URLS, and please do not quote those messages with long URLs in them.

And when posting a link, please indicate what it is and where it will take you. Some of us like surprises, and still some of us do not.

EDIT: Yes, I realize I posted a link without indicating where it takes you. You like that? Click this one too!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
If you have to put "OT" in the thread title, then it doesn't belong in that forum.

Thank you! That's the pet peeve of ALL pet peeves - Von Wafer & Smush are NO LONGER LAKERS...They shouldn't have a thread in the LAKER FORUM!

Let's end the "He USED to play for us so therefore this thread goes in the Laker Forum" posting completely!

We don't care what Eddie Jones is doing anymore!
VujacicFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

Please no more mindless Sasha bashing. I can take constructive criticisms for Sasha but please no more blind hate. Same goes for Cook.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:

#1 - Thou shall not piss off the mods
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

8. Avoid Posting Random Arguments From Other Fan Sites - If there is a great post which makes a point from RealGM or CL, then that's fine with me. However, I often see "Did you see what blah blah blah said about blah blah blah over at (RealGM or CL)?" We have more than enough random arguments here... if I wanted to know what people at other websites were saying, I would go to those websites.
can we also include email/im conversations with other fans?

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
1. No Derogatory Names - This refers to fans and actually Laker players. For fans, no calling people "Kobe haters/apologists, Bynum hater/lovers/apologists, etc." For players themselves, no more "Odumb," "Puke," etc. I think doing so just inflames people needlessly and shows general disrespect and a lack of class.

2. No Starting a Thread W/ OT in the General Forum - From time to time you see a thread with the title "OT" or "Semi-OT." This is the first clue they are in the wrong forum posting, so to me, without even reading the thread, it should automatically be locked or moved to the OT forum.

3. Clear Thread Titles - As uberzev stated, a thread title should give a clear indication of what is being discussed in the thread. IMO, any thread title which is insufficient should automatically be locked.

4. Minimize Redundant Threads and AVOID the "New Topic" Button - Every effort should be made to consolodate and avoid thread redundancy. I would love to see more merging as often I find various threads all going over the same arguments.

6. Try to Avoid Making Threads or Changing Existing Threads To be About Trade Suggestions - This happens to much and some posters are trade happy. I get if there is a relevant rumored trade people wish to discuss, but often its just about what the Lakers should pursue, suiggesting a trade out of thin air. There is a rumor forum for that.

7. When Posting a News Story, Put the Content of the Story in a Quote Box - I don't like it when someone posts a news story and just paste the text as normal font inside their post. It makes it hard to read IMO and hard to decipher from other posts. Also, a URL should ALWAYS be included.

9. No Threads Started to Discuss Unsubstantiated Rumors from RealGM - Unless there is a link to an official news outlet, no rumor from a REALGM message board should EVER be posted at LG.

... I guess that's it, for now

Great post

re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Oh, I forgot, proper grammar and spelling really makes this whole thing easier to read. Is this an issue for you? Click this link:

Click me!

Speaking of links, as someone above suggested, please use the URL function LG has. Do not make pages spread out all the way to the side with stupid URLS, and please do not quote those messages with long URLs in them.

And when posting a link, please indicate what it is and where it will take you. Some of us like surprises, and still some of us do not.

EDIT: Yes, I realize I posted a link without indicating where it takes you. You like that? Click this one too!
Here's an even better one...

One suggestion from, something my mother used to tell us...
"If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all"

But if that's too absolute, well, at least try.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

RESPECT THY FELLOW POSTER--even if you do not agree, debate civily. tired of all the name calling and lashing out at eachother. Remember we all here for our love of the lakers... not to get one up on your fellow posters!!
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject:

rebirth wrote:
RESPECT THY FELLOW POSTER--even if you do not agree, debate civily. tired of all the name calling and lashing out at eachother. Remember we all here for our love of the lakers... not to get one up on your fellow posters!!

Amen!
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject:

What about with in the Lakers Lounge, have a sub forum that takes you to a list of all the individual players.
Luke
LO
Kobe.....etc

And if you want to talk about Luke's bad game or the good game he just had, or what you think he should do better then you can post a topic in the Luke section. Now of course no one will do that, they will just post it in the Lounge section and then a mod will have to move it....etc.
But I think it would clean up the place a bit.

Also this place has become a Lakers political place. Instead of republicans, and demo's you have LO haters, and LO homers....etc
There has been to much labeling going on here.

And my pain point. Just because someone has a different philosophy about basketball, or they have a different opinion than you, doesn't make them an idiot, or wrong.

---George Carlin
swcom120
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:

Thank you! That's the pet peeve of ALL pet peeves - Von Wafer & Smush are NO LONGER LAKERS...They shouldn't have a thread in the LAKER FORUM!

Let's end the "He USED to play for us so therefore this thread goes in the Laker Forum" posting completely!

I agree with most of the suggestions that have been made in this thread already. Although im not sure about this one. I dont mind hearing about guys like horry in the lounge. Now smush I could care less about. But I think if its clearly stated in the title who its about, then you click on it if you want. I think the lounge should be for laker players. past or present
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject:

swcom120 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:

I agree with most of the suggestions that have been made in this thread already. Although im not sure about this one. I dont mind hearing about guys like horry in the lounge. Now smush I could care less about. But I think if its clearly stated in the title who its about, then you click on it if you want. I think the lounge should be for laker players. past or present

But that's just it...they're no longer Lakers. Move on. It's a General NBA thread. Don't clutter-up the Laker Lounge with it.

It's cool, if you want to know about former Lakers...then maybe there should be a Former Lakers Lounge.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: