Help write a set of LG community standards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject:

Maybe its because I am sensitive to the world of psychology due to my background, but I feel the way an opinion is expressed is just as important or more so as the actual content of the opinion itself.

I'd rather hear "Kobe needs to share the ball more" rather than "Kobe is a selfish a-hole"... I'd rather hear "Luke could work on becoming a better defender" over "Puke sucks on D, get rid of his sorry ass"... I'd rather hear "Smush is a bad PG and lacks maturity" over "Smush is a little crybaby who doesn't deserve to be in the NBA and should be run over with his Smushcalade."

There is no need to degrade anyone to make a valid point, fan, poster, or player, and who cares if one offers a disclaimer before making a controversial point.. in fact, I am glad they do and we all should more often, because it could lead to better communication and less off-the-cuff extremist remarks that are likely to set people off.

Delivery is important... and I would much rather see good, mature debate than the back and forth childish bickering that often occurs when people fail to show a bit of tact.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Maybe its because I am sensitive to the world of psychology due to my background, but I feel the way an opinion is expressed is just as important or more so as the actual content of the opinion itself.

I'd rather hear "Kobe needs to share the ball more" rather than "Kobe is a selfish a-hole"... I'd rather hear "Luke could work on becoming a better defender" over "Puke sucks on D, get rid of his sorry ass"... I'd rather hear "Smush is a bad PG and lacks maturity" over "Smush is a little crybaby who doesn't deserve to be in the NBA and should be run over with his Smushcalade."

There is no need to degrade anyone to make a valid point, fan, poster, or player, and who cares if one offers a disclaimer before making a controversial point.. in fact, I am glad they do and we all should more often, because it could lead to better communication and less off-the-cuff extremist remarks that are likely to set people off.

Delivery is important... and I would much rather see good, mature debate than the back and forth childish bickering that often occurs when people fail to show a bit of tact.

That would be AWEWOME
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject:

Is it possible to have a stickied thread where the proper uses and spelling of words like "lose" is displayed?
swcom120
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
prisma8slg wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

In response to Walter Sobchak -- I disagree with basing any posting privileges on number of posts. Some people can literally crank out 100 posts in a day, most of them boring and repetitive. Other people don't post unless they have something worthwhile to say. Let's not reward the former and penalize the latter. Furthermore, if you set a 100 post threshold, you are encouraging junk posts by people trying to reach the threshold.

not only that, it's not always new members that mis-post. it's often members that *know better*

Yup. The post count cant serve as a pattern. You have idiotic 5000+ guys and some nice guys at the Hundreds range.

I agree....not to mention some of us have been around for several more years than we have been posting. I dont start a lot of threads but when I do, at least I put them in the right places. Punish those who dont follow the rules and dont reward them for posting a million times.
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject:

Not sure if this would be any more than a "rule of thumb" or a "suggested procedure" rather than a hard and fast rule , but I would HIGHLY suggest liberal use of the "preview" button before the "submit". That way you can read what you intend to post, make corrections, or even decide not to post it at all, with no other poster, mod or lurker being the wiser. You can get as nasty, vulgar and type in all sorts of personal attacks, hit "Preview", have a quick chuckle, return to the Lounge without submitting the vitriol.

Then and move on.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Help write a set of LG community standards

uberzev wrote:
We already have a fine TOS (which everyone should be acquainted with) but I think an additional set of guidelines created in collaboration with the LG community would be beneficial for all.

A few of the top of my head…

• Do not bump ancient threads just to show up another poster or to relieve boredom. (We recently banned a user for excessive bumping)

[b]

I can see that overdoing the bumping can be a little annoying. Selective bumping of ancient threads should certainly be allowed. So many posters make such out of control statements. I don't see why anybody should be afraid of being "shown up" by the bumping of ancient threads.

--Anonymous
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

[b\There is no need to degrade anyone to make a valid point, fan, poster, or player, and who cares if one offers a disclaimer before making a controversial point.. in fact, I am glad they do and we all should more often, because it could lead to better communication and less off-the-cuff extremist remarks that are likely to set people off.

Delivery is important... and I would much rather see good, mature debate than the back and forth childish bickering that often occurs when people fail to show a bit of tact.[/b]

Lines like this...

"Maybe you're smarter than the 30 GMs who passed on him and let him go to Spain, but this one is a stretch."

... Definitely fall in line.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Wags_16
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Good ideas Hunter. My two cents worth would be treat others as you'd like to be treated. Just because someone has a different opinion of something doesn't mean they should be putdown or labeled as a troll or "non" Laker fan. Some posters here and on other forums can be downright pompus if you don't share their view or posting style. But I think there are a lot of redundent threads on here and a lot of it seems to be coming from newer posters. I thought there used to be a rule that posters could only create one new thread and perhaps limiting them to five total posts a day would be a good idea until you reach 100 just so you can learn the ropes here.

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
My two contributions:

1. Don't start a poll unless there is really a good reason for it and unless you are capable of writing intelligent, fair choices. Otherwise, just express your opinion and leave the polls to Gallup.

2. Don't link every anti-Kobe, anti-Laker article on the internet. Some websites clearly exploit message boards by putting up occasional inflammatory posts (including one website that had a "Laker fans are stupid" article). They know that these articles will be linked on message boards, generating hundreds if not thousands of hits for their website. They are doing this to make money. If the article doesn't say something useful or interesting, don't link it.

In response to Walter Sobchak -- I disagree with basing any posting privileges on number of posts. Some people can literally crank out 100 posts in a day, most of them boring and repetitive. Other people don't post unless they have something worthwhile to say. Let's not reward the former and penalize the latter. Furthermore, if you set a 100 post threshold, you are encouraging junk posts by people trying to reach the threshold.

On the other hand, I strongly agree that the quoting function is often badly misused and makes a lot of threads hard to read.
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

This post is downright farcical in light of your last response to me in the Turiaf thread.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:

^I was being funny which I thought would be clear by the sticking my tongue out emoticon I used (the internet equivalent of saying, "just playing")... sorry if you were offended, I was just kidding around with you and trying to bring some humor into our debate. If you knew me better as a poster, you might know of my humor. In any case, again, I apologize if I offended you.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject:

TNLakersFan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

5. Try to Avoid Overquoting - There comes a point where a series of posters (often just two posters in one large debate) keep quoting eachother until that quote becomes egregiously long. There is no reason for such a long string of quotes and all it does is make the thread harder to weave through. Such a practice should be avoided.

Thats the biggest one. The pages just become EXTREMELY long, and its kinda annoying. Anyways, thats my rant!

Also, if a thread is started based on an article someone read, and the entire article is posted in the thread, don't quote the entire article. Just quote the parts that you are responding to.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Is it possible to have a stickied thread where the proper uses and spelling of words like "lose" is displayed?

How about prima donna instead of pre Madonna?
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
24 wrote:

How about resign versus re-sign? Very different meanings.
swcom120
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject:

^how about vault instead of volt.... sorry had to.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

Maybe this shouldn't be a rule but it might be helpful if mods would either show how to edit or remind posters to edit quotes down to more meaningful sizes?

I think this would be a good thing.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:

swcom120 wrote:
^how about vault instead of volt.... sorry had to.

Maybe this site needs a hall of fame lounge for locked but not-to-be-forgotten threads like that!

Since we are on a grammar and spelling kick:

- the word is definitely. Not defanitely. Do you say "fanite" or "finite"?

- they're, their, there. Learn them, love them.

- your and you're. See above.

- when posting about a player, try to spell their names right. Yes, we are getting many more European players in the league with hard-to-spell names, but take the time and look it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
targetman wrote:
24 wrote:

How about resign versus re-sign? Very different meanings.

I like this alot.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject:

^ Yeah this thread is dominate.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject:

LOL! C'mon! Griping about grammar is pretty petty, solely because there are some people who lack the writing skills to do so, especially since there are a lot of youngsters here who aren't well-versed in writing and their grasp of the English langauge.

Then take into consideration those that aren't from America and are still learning the language, so they will struggle with the written language.

And then typos happen to everyone. If this place becomes hell-bent on grammar/spell checking, then it's the wrong reason to even have a place like this. Cut folk some slack.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
LOL! C'mon! Griping about grammar is pretty petty, solely because there are some people who lack the writing skills to do so, especially since there are a lot of youngsters here who aren't well-versed in writing and their grasp of the English langauge.

Then take into consideration those that aren't from America and are still learning the language, so they will struggle with the written language.

And then typos happen to everyone. If this place becomes hell-bent on grammar/spell checking, then it's the wrong reason to even have a place like this. Cut folk some slack.

Can we ban LuxuryBrown? That would take care of multiple problems:

Argumentative Posters
Bandwidth Issues (have you seen his post count??)
Smush Threads
Redundancy ("get some rest", "It ain't deep", "Bro")
Overuse of Emoticons

JK bro, it's not that deep, really, get some rest
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:

Can we ban LuxuryBrown? That would take care of multiple problems:

Argumentative Posters
Bandwidth Issues (have you seen his post count??)
Smush Threads
Redundancy ("get some rest", "It ain't deep", "Bro")
Overuse of Emoticons

JK bro, it's not that deep, really, get some rest

Get some rest, bro...no REALLY...get some rest! !
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject:

No more calling it BSPN. If you don't like the channel, don't watch it or read any of their articles!!

Simple as that.
All_Star_Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
No more calling it BSPN. If you don't like the channel, don't watch it or read any of their articles!!

Simple as that.

what other channel is there? Also, their opinion does matter, because they influence and shape how many people feel about different athletes. You cannot ignore someone who is that powerful.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:

Simple as that.
That you Marc Stein?
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
REPPIN 818 wrote:

Simple as that.
That you Marc Stein?

I like ESPN. Who cares if they ruined Kobe? I love Kobe, but he cheated on his fu*king wife. You expect ESPN not to report that?

Bucher on the other hand....
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: