Help write a set of LG community standards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
drzucchini wrote:
targetman wrote:
24 wrote:
Is it possible to have a stickied thread where the proper uses and spelling of words like "lose" is displayed?

How about prima donna instead of pre Madonna?

How about resign versus re-sign? Very different meanings.

I like this alot.

If you don't say alittle, don't say alot. that's what my grammy taught me.
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject:

prisma8slg wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

In response to Walter Sobchak -- I disagree with basing any posting privileges on number of posts. Some people can literally crank out 100 posts in a day, most of them boring and repetitive. Other people don't post unless they have something worthwhile to say. Let's not reward the former and penalize the latter. Furthermore, if you set a 100 post threshold, you are encouraging junk posts by people trying to reach the threshold.

not only that, it's not always new members that mis-post. it's often members that *know better*

The idea would be that there would be some kind of throttle in place for newbies and people who just want to post a ton of things right away. Make them wait a bit, and if that's their intention then maybe they won't stay the 30 days or so till they can begin flooding the board with meaningless pap. Also, in regards to all the people who have been here for a while and still post that way, maybe they would have learned not to or been weeded out early on if there had been some kind of newbie throttle in place like I'm referring to. I really think it would cut down on those types of posters, and then if you have a few that are persistent enough to slip through, hopefully they'd stand out as a disrupting presence on the board and could be dealt with one by one by the mods.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
^ Yeah this thread is dominate.

Thanks for reminding me.

If the word "dominate" is used as anything other than a verb, it should result in a perm-ban.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I know this is impossible... but I would love a rating system which would allow every post to be rated by every poster which would then go into an accumulative rating for posters. Posters with higher ratings could then have greater privileges to things like post counts, ability to start new threads, PM privileges, and/or even some moderator responsibilities. Of course there would have to be limits somehow on how often posters can rate another poster (or else someone with a vendetta could really screw someone over), but wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like the idea of good posters (determined by a consensus) being rewarded and bad posters (also determined by a consensus) being punished.

Too hard to do, but would be interesting.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I know this is impossible... but I would love a rating system which would allow every post to be rated by every poster which would then go into an accumulative rating for posters. Posters with higher ratings could then have greater privileges to things like post counts, ability to start new threads, PM privileges, and/or even some moderator responsibilities. Of course there would have to be limits somehow on how often posters can rate another poster (or else someone with a vendetta could really screw someone over), but wouldn't be a bad idea.

I like the idea of good posters (determined by a consensus) being rewarded and bad posters (also determined by a consensus) being punished.

You just killed your own proposal right there, bro. That's exactly what would happen. Not a good idea.
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:

So does anyone here want to volunteer to summarize these 4 pages?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject:

Can i propose one more rule:

A ban on posts that essentially read:

Subject: (My opinion)
Message Body: "Am I right guys?"
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Can i propose one more rule:

A ban on posts that essentially read:

Subject: (My opinion)
Message Body: "Am I right guys?"
I've been guilty of that one.

Maybe in the offseason that's a good rule but when a player blows a game winning layup I think you might have a valid reason for a simple post like "Brian Cook is useless".
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:58 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:
if I get really bored at work today....

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject:

LOOK I AM TYPING IN BOLD LETTERS. THIS MEANS WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Honestly this is some great advice. Go and download the Google Toobar. It's free, and doesn't come with a bunch of spam, or spy ware like anything yahoo, or AOL related. If you have some other kind of tool bar then trash it, and get the Google Toolbar. It has pop blocker.....etc. lots of cool stuff.
But the important part is it has a built in spell checker. When you type in the "reply box on this forum or any, and before you hit the send or submit button You can hit the spell check button, and it will tell you that you misspelled some words, and it will give you options on how to spell them.
It doesnt help with grammar, like commas and capitalization's so your on your own for that.

---George Carlin
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:
LOOK I AM TYPING IN BOLD LETTERS. THIS MEANS WHAT I AM ABOUT TO SAY IS VERY IMPORTANT.

Honestly this is some great advice. Go and download the Google Toobar. It's free, and doesn't come with a bunch of spam, or spy ware like anything yahoo, or AOL related. If you have some other kind of tool bar then trash it, and get the Google Toolbar. It has pop blocker.....etc. lots of cool stuff.
But the important part is it has a built in spell checker. When you type in the "reply box on this forum or any, and before you hit the send or submit button You can hit the spell check button, and it will tell you that you misspelled some words, and it will give you options on how to spell them.
It doesnt help with grammar, like commas and capitalization's so your on your own for that.

Mozilla Firefox has the spell checker built in. So if I tpye thsee wordz rong, it wil lte me konw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

I'll try:

#1. Many internet posters don't know the difference between a noun and a verb.

#2. Internet posters generally agree that everybody should have the right to express her/his viewpoints as long as the opinions agree with their own.

#3. The process that we have generally works. It isn't perfect but additional rules have drawbacks. Adding constraints to a system (weakly) lowers the absolute maximum and (weakly) raises the absolute minimum. (Go Economics!!!)

--Anonymous
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:

It apparently doesn't help with missing or extraneous apostrophes either
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Laker_in_Tulsa wrote:

It apparently doesn't help with missing or extraneous apostrophes either

plus, sometimes my shift key doesn't work....
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
The Buss
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject:

My biggest pet peeve is the whole chat room slang that some posters use. I can understand the occasional LMAO, but when someone consistentley says stuff like "OMG, ioNO wAT iMMa dO 4 diS oFFsEAsOn!....j/k!!!LOL!!!" it can get real old real quick. Keep the whole 12 year old girl on AIM crap away from LG.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:

CelticsBlog.com allows users to give Tommy Points to users for a post. There is a link on every post that can be clicked on to give a Tommy Point. Beyond that, I don't know how it works.

I think it would be bad idea to allow people to give negative points.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject:

uberzev wrote:

Do nice
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject:

Dennis_D wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

CelticsBlog.com allows users to give Tommy Points to users for a post. There is a link on every post that can be clicked on to give a Tommy Point. Beyond that, I don't know how it works.

I don't this so long as you made sure to limit people's ability to do so. There would be limits on how often someone could give a rating, whether negative or positive. You could get even more complicated, a make the ratings of lower-rated posters worth less and impacting another poster's rating less (being that a bad poster is probably a less credible source).

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Dennis_D wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I don't this so long as you made sure to limit people's ability to do so. There would be limits on how often someone could give a rating, whether negative or positive. You could get even more complicated, a make the ratings of lower-rated posters worth less and impacting another poster's rating less (being that a bad poster is probably a less credible source).

I give this post no points, and may god have mercy on your soul...
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:

^^^You have scared/shamed me into becoming an atheist... thank you for taking the last remnants of salvation from me. Bravo.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
^^^You have scared/shamed me into becoming an atheist... thank you for taking the last remnants of salvation from me. Bravo.

Given your choice of profession, I merely hastened the inevitable
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I have no response to that... touche.

LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Cold blooded!
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
Maybe this site needs a hall of fame lounge for locked but not-to-be-forgotten threads like that!

Since we are on a grammar and spelling kick:

- the word is definitely. Not defanitely. Do you say "fanite" or "finite"?

- they're, their, there. Learn them, love them.

- your and you're. See above.

- when posting about a player, try to spell their names right. Yes, we are getting many more European players in the league with hard-to-spell names, but take the time and look it up.

Interesting you brought that up: Anyone know which European country/province Jermaine O'NEIL is from?

*Incomplete thread titles. i.e. "Today I had to take the biggest..."

*Posts that are only one paragraph long. After a thought is finished, hit the "Enter" button twice. Everyone else's eyes will thank you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who won't bother reading any posts that are just a sea of words.

*Bypassing the swear filter doesn't make your point any better. Everyone can still understand what you are saying without needing to "look cool" by cursing. "(So and So) is so (bleep) terrible on defense" works just the same as throwing a swear in there with an asterisk in place of a vowel.

*One word replies/only quoting posts with no response. They provide nothing of substance, just waste bandwidth and raise post count.
Some Random Poster wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
That was the most terribly officiated game of the season!

*"haters" vs. "homers". People will always have a stronger liking/dislike for a player. Just because you don't like someone, doesn't mean the opinion of their supporter means any less than yours. I can admit I hated Smush's 'tude, but that doesn't mean I'm going to start talking (bleep) about LB because he was one of the few advocates around here for Smush.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
*One word replies/only quoting posts with no response. They provide nothing of substance, just waste bandwidth and raise post count.

But sometimes all it takes is one word or an emoticon or maybe that person feels the prior poster has said it all and they agree with their assessment or post and he/she is giving them their props? It's like reading the mind of members here and saying that's the reason why they posted like that.

It seems like some of you guys are now simply using this opportunity to air your "LG Pet Peeves" rather than truly coming up with mutual beneficial standards for all.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: