Official: Ariza for Cook & Mo (DONE DEAL!!!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:

Cook is gone. Im happy. If i remember correctly Trevor played really well agaisnt us last us year.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
This basically puts Rad at PF and leaves one roster spot open for another PF. I hoping that spot will be filled either through trade or by Chris Webber or PJ Brown. With Kwame out, we only have three big men - Ronny, Mihm, and Bynum. I would expect us to pick up another big VERY soon.

If Kwame is out for the season, maybe.

Else I think Lamar plays 4 later on in games, anyway. Turiaf, Odom and Radmanovic is enough at the PF spot, especially with the way they have been playing. What I think we could use is a Center, if Kwame is out for the season. A really big body that can take up 6 fouls. Don't want those fouls being taken by Bynum.

We have a roster space free regardless. With Kwame out probably for at least a month, Phil's plan (which he seems to be sticking to) to play the majority of LO's minutes at SF, with a roster spot free, and suddenly a lack of some depth at the PF/C spots, it only makes sense that we fill that roster spot with another big very soon, whether it be a PF, C, or, more likely, a PF/C (like Webber or Brown).

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
LakerHabib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject:

We should expect a follow-up move very shortly.

This news is bringing down the house!
Poor Cook if he does indeed browse LG forums.. to see this much celebration over his departure.
Sorry Cookie! Enjoy chewing your gum in Orlando!

Amen to that!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject:

HoopsLA wrote:
Good deal, seems to be a predecessor to something else. Cook was redundant with Vlad and Evans never really impressed. I like the defense Ariza adds, which means the Lakers are serious about winning with Defense.

The curious part is that with Kwame down, and Turiaf just coming back, we give a PF, that is why it looks like a predecessor to something else. Either way, I like the deal.

I tend to agree.

I was thinking the same thing. The Lakers FO has not traded Cook as easily in the past. Sure his royal suckage so far this season could have helped, but IMO there is also the very real threat of another trade happening that could mean the Lakers need extra roster spots.

Either way, I think the other trade has a low possibility to go down and this smaller trade will in a small way help the Lakers. They also cut salary, by 2009 onwards they no longer have that 3+ million of Cook's contract on the payroll. We'd be seriously under the cap now, Bynum extension and all by 2009 assuming Bryant + Odom left then.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

wait a minute. wait wait wait wait. Did Mitch actually....

PULL THE TRIGGER!

good trade
Colby Briant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

welcome back to LA Trevor!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:

Ariza's stats:

http://aol.nba.com/playerfile/trevor_ariza/career_stats.html
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject:

You know, after this trade, and Marion and his "bad marriage" with the Suns sounding more and more like Kobe this summer, maybe The Lakers are planning a deal with Phoenix?

If so, Ariza becomes that much more logical because Odom, I'd imagine would be the one going out.

I don't know if I'd that personally, but just adding food for thought.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject:

I think this was made in mind with giving Rad more minutes. The guy has been shooting lights out but is struggling at getting 10 minutes a game.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

I have to wonder of the Magic's GM Otis Smith ever seen Cook play. Here is what he said after the trade,
Quote:
“Brian (Cook) helps bolster our frontcourt,” said Smith in a statement. “He is a power forward who shoots the ball extremely well, while also bringing added toughness to our roster. Maurice (Evans) is a tremendous athlete, a solid defender and capable of playing multiple positions. Both Brian and Maurice fit in very well with what we are trying to accomplish.”

Brian Cook will add toughness????? You must be kidding me.

A Real GM analyst graded the trade A for the lakers and D+ for the Magic. Here is the link to the full article.

Last edited by safari_in_cali on Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject:

Emplay, do you think we will try to add a FA Big-man with that Injury X?
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject:

If you're looking for more good news, check out any Orlando Magic forum you can find. The majority of the fans are saying that they will miss Ariza, mostly because of his defense. I could see Phil throwing these lineups on the floor from time to time

Farmar
Kobe
Ariza
Odom/Turiaf
Bynum

Farmar
Critt
Kobe
Turiaf/Odom
Bynum

Overall this is a great trade. Cook and Evans were really the two "weird" guys on the team. I think this trade will improve chemistry as much as defense. From a human perspective, I'm glad they got moved to a good team and I'm also glad they're off my team
Walter Sobchak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:
You know, after this trade, and Marion and his "bad marriage" with the Suns sounding more and more like Kobe this summer, maybe The Lakers are planning a deal with Phoenix? If so, Ariza becomes that much more logical because Odom, I'd imagine would be the one going out.

Why would a Marion for Odom swap look any more likely now that the Lakers added another SF? The Lakers might be more likely to want to get a PF, but that's not really Marion's position.

Just a reminder folks: "a lot" is two words. So is "no one".
BK
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Mitch was just on AM 570. Here is a recap.

Quote:

Money: Has this trade scenario been around for a while or did it surface recently?
Mitch: We have been talking to Orlando for a couple of weeks now, and we've been looking for ways to consolidate our roster and after 8-10 games you have a pretty good idea on player roles.
Money: What does Trevor bring to the Lakers?
Mitch: Very young (22) but already 4 years in the league. Fills a need for an athletic, long, defender at the 3 position and maybe even at the 2 position.
Money: Who will backup Kobe now that Mo is gone?
Mitch: We don't know who's going to take advantage of Mo's replacement at the 2. We have enough players in the backcourt to make it work. Certainly, Ariza will see some time at the 2 as well.
Money: Is this the final roster?
Mitch: Always looking to improve. This move tightens up our roster giving the other players more playing time.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:

BK wrote:
Mitch: Always looking to improve. This move tightens up our roster giving the other players more playing time.

Magic WAND!
B1ackchi
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject:

I was in my car driving home when I heard this. When I heard we traded away Cook and Evans, I did not care what we got in return. Then I heard Ariza.....I was like omg! This guy is a beast on D and loves to take it to the rack. I expect some more posters from this guy.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Mitch: We don't know who's going to take advantage of Mo's replacement at the 2. We have enough players in the backcourt to make it work

Translation: Jimmy Buss told me that I better trade some of the guys taking minutes away from my 2 selections (Karl, Crittenton).

The youth movement in LA continues. LA gets younger with this trade. Cook was 26, Mo was 28 IIRC. Ariza is 22.

Lakers just lost 2 of their more veteran, experienced players for a guy that will help .. but not anytime soon.

As I said, I think this is a good move but I also feel it means further moves are being planned.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Walter Sobchak wrote:
BigEvil wrote:
You know, after this trade, and Marion and his "bad marriage" with the Suns sounding more and more like Kobe this summer, maybe The Lakers are planning a deal with Phoenix? If so, Ariza becomes that much more logical because Odom, I'd imagine would be the one going out.

Why would a Marion for Odom swap look any more likely now that the Lakers added another SF? The Lakers might be more likely to want to get a PF, but that's not really Marion's position.

You're right, Marion is a natural SF, although I tend to think that Marion has been more successful playing at PF and that that's where the Lakers would put him.
Luke
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
Mitch: We don't know who's going to take advantage of Mo's replacement at the 2. We have enough players in the backcourt to make it work

Translation: Jimmy Buss told me that I better trade some of the guys taking minutes away from my 2 selections (Karl, Crittenton).

The youth movement in LA continues. LA gets younger with this trade. Cook was 26, Mo was 28 IIRC. Ariza is 22.

Lakers just lost 2 of their more veteran, experienced players for a guy that will help .. but not anytime soon.
As I said, I think this is a good move but I also feel it means further moves are being planned.

Ariza will help more than Cook and Evans combined and he will do it now !

He is the defensive wing we were missing and he was guarding KG ( when he was on the floor) when Orlando played the Celtics !
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject:

BK wrote:
Mitch was just on AM 570. Here is a recap.

Quote:

Money: Has this trade scenario been around for a while or did it surface recently?
Mitch: We have been talking to Orlando for a couple of weeks now, and we've been looking for ways to consolidate our roster and after 8-10 games you have a pretty good idea on player roles.
Money: What does Trevor bring to the Lakers?
Mitch: Very young (22) but already 4 years in the league. Fills a need for an athletic, long, defender at the 3 position and maybe even at the 2 position.
Money: Who will backup Kobe now that Mo is gone?
Mitch: We don't know who's going to take advantage of Mo's replacement at the 2. We have enough players in the backcourt to make it work. Certainly, Ariza will see some time at the 2 as well.

Thanks for posting this.

I know Cook and Evans are both probably pretty upset right now, but that is how it goes. I have no sympathy for Cook after showing up every season the same exact player and never learning from his many mental mistakes.

Good luck in Orlando, puppy crap.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Me likey.

Trading Cook for a couple of Twix candy bars would have made me happy, but we actually got a basketball player in return?

B-e-a-utiful.
KOBE 2.0
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The youth movement in LA continues.

Dude, that doesn't mean anything. hes been in this league 4 years he has experience.

also it doesn't include youth movement if the trade is ... Cook + Evans for Ariza + Webber/Trade for big-man.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

That's the way - uhhuh uhhuh I like it. I like it!

That's the way - uhhuh uhhuh I like it. I like it!

Go Mitch Go!

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
ShowtimeDynasty_24/7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Oh my gosh. I knew something was going down when I couldn't get into LG, so I quickly went to realgm and got the big news!!! Mitch actually came out as the robber in this deal. These are one of the deals I proposed a while back I think- great trade, Ariza is a guy that most Laker fans have wanted...
Billy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject:

My wife is as happy as I was when I told her that Cook was traded to Orlando because she hated me yelling at the TV when Cook was on the court "TAKE THE STUPID COOK OFF ......"
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10
Jump to: