SONICS -at- LAKERS - 11/27 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject:

Great game from Kobe. When he's efficient and not being overly aggressive in forcing the action, he brings the team to a higher level. Of course it helps when Fish is equally efficient.

LO at the 4 and he becomes aggressive again. Is it because of the criticism or because he likes his matchup at the 4 rather than the 3?

Bynum continues to rack up the 2x2's in the stat sheet. Again, he and Kobe are working well together.

Ronny brought the energy more than JoFar last night. If you noticed, during the 3 game slide, JoFar and the bench production dropped off significantly, which shows how important that aspect of the team is.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

I mantain that the biggest reason the Lakers are not showing the same energy or ability to physically exert themselves is the combination of losing Kwame + Turiaf to injury (allegedly Turiaf is not starting because of that injury) along with the loss of Evans through trade - and the athletic wing we got back needing to go through Tri 101 before he can play.

The Lakers rotation at their best featured a Kwame/Bynum, Turiaf/Odom, Odom/Walton/Radmanovic, Kobe/Evans, Fisher/Farmar 10 man rotation.

Now it's a Bynum/Mihm, Radmanovic/Turiaf, Odom/Walton, Kobe/Vujacic and Fisher/Farmar rotation.

The key differences are that Mihm, Radmanovic and Vujacic are getting bigger roles than they had the first few weeks. All 3 have not been able to bring the same athleticism and physicality that Brown, Turiaf and Evans brought respectively. This IMO is the main reason the Lakers have dipped energy wise. It is just not the same rotation - athletically.

Other things.

Lamar played the way he needs to game in and game out. That was a very, deliberate, aggressive game by Lamar. You kinda feel these last 2 games, Lamar has been much better at getting into the post, and then working from there. I think last night in particular he played a similar game to what Chris Bosh does for Toronto. This is an opportunity for Lamar to really become a scorer in the league, even though it takes away from his natural ballhandling game, there is enough skill there for Lamar to give us an average 18-20 ppg this season. I hope he accomplishes that, and will be dissapointed if he doesn't.

Bynum and Kobe have to be our 2 most consistent players. They put up their numbers with such ease. Kobe was quicker in taking his shots and he made some brilliant passes to Odom, Bynum and Turiaf. BTW that is our best frontcourt, it's a shame they play as little as they do together. Bynum had his moments too, this was another game where I thought he could have gone for 20+. Next season, these games will be 20+ point ones for Drew.

Fisher has been so steady. I think this Fisher is so much smarter and composed than the Fisher of the last 2 Laker teams he was on (02-04). He picks his spots, and when you see him launch from the corners relatively open .. you just feel it's going in.

The 2nd unit is struggling a bit - Farmar has become too reliant on jumpshots. He really sparked our 2nd unit and right now hasn't been able to do the same PG like things.

Quote:
And the energy and enthusiasm Bynum has been displaying is very positive.

In terms of rebounding, defending, getting the ball on offense, making plays .. yeah.

In terms of reacting as if every foul on him was wrong .. not so much.

He's young, but still hasn't improved his attitude towards fouls. I think this brings his game down a bit. You keep that negative energy inside about that, and it affects your play a bit when you come back in. I would like to see him react better to the fouls called on him, considering most of them are accurate. He has to also stop getting PO'ed at teammates for missing their defensive man. In the NBA he won't play on a team where the other 4 guys stay infront of their man. As a Center, it's not his fault that he has to carry so much load defensively, but it is his job. Great Centers ussually anchor their team's defense. Bynum must take this as a challenge, and not something that is being thrown at him because of teammate's insufficent defense.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Lamar played the way he needs to game in and game out. That was a very, deliberate, aggressive game by Lamar. You kinda feel these last 2 games, Lamar has been much better at getting into the post, and then working from there. I think last night in particular he played a similar game to what Chris Bosh does for Toronto. This is an opportunity for Lamar to really become a scorer in the league, even though it takes away from his natural ballhandling game, there is enough skill there for Lamar to give us an average 18-20 ppg this season. I hope he accomplishes that, and will be dissapointed if he doesn't.

Didn't Phil come out and say that Odom wasn't going to handle the ball as much as before? He can if there is a press, but I think it was a deliberate strategy by the coaches to shift him from being the main ball handler and more into a scorer. I think Odom had too many expectations, too much responsibility.

So yes, he could score more (though he hasn't shown too much of that consistently in years past) which will take away from his ball-handling, but that was going to happen anyways by design.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject:

encina1 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Didn't Phil come out and say that Odom wasn't going to handle the ball as much as before? He can if there is a press, but I think it was a deliberate strategy by the coaches to shift him from being the main ball handler and more into a scorer. I think Odom had too many expectations, too much responsibility.

So yes, he could score more (though he hasn't shown too much of that consistently in years past) which will take away from his ball-handling, but that was going to happen anyways by design.

I think that is part of the reason. They basically saw the Suns series and noticed how much more of a scoring threat he was, mainly because he was looking to abuse Marion inside. They want him doing that, focusing on that instead of worrying about ballhandling and making plays. So you are right.

Also of note, in the past we had Parker who is a very unreliable guard. Now the Lakers have the veteran Fisher, who knows the in's and out's of the Tri. Fish took over a lot of Lamar's ballhandling role and with Farmar's emergence (as well as Critt waiting in the wings) .. there was even less reason to keep Lamar as a ballhandler.

While I feel it isn't playing to one of his biggest strengths, it is up to Lamar to look at a player like Chris Bosh, who has similar size + ability (also lefty) .. but absolutely is a load in the block/mid-range. Lamar the last 2 games has shown he can do that, so it's up to him to mantain it. I still don't think he's 100% though. Even last night, he missed a number of chippes. His explosion and timing is still coming. Like I've mantained, December onwards .. Odom should be physically ready. Then it's mental .. where we all know .. you just never know what he'll do.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

13 shots attempts. Those are the numbers I like to see for Lamar; maybe even more. Definitely liked how Bynum contested perimeter shots on the pick and roll. He really uses all of his length on those. Also impressed with Turiaf's defense in the fourth quarter. Keep it up energy man.

Quote:
Javaris Crittenton's going to be a good player -- a great player. Phil had some positive words for him recently. Can't wait until we get to see him some more. He's definitely going to be a player...

You think Phil is worried at all about JC hitting the rookie wall? Maybe he's saving him for the halfway mark to really hit a stride in terms of gaining confidence for the playoffs. Would really like to see more of Ariza as well.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Mation, that's what I think he's doing. Just a guess. Also, he can iron out some misc. rookie issues via practice in the time being.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject:

FYI for everyone - I will be at the game tonight, so I don't know if I will be able to do a Thoughts and Ratings...and if I do, it won't be very timely.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
FYI for everyone - I will be at the game tonight, so I don't know if I will be able to do a Thoughts and Ratings...and if I do, it won't be very timely.

UNACCEPTABLE
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Where are your priorities, man? Think about the children!

Have fun. Try whistling at a Lakers girl if you get the chance.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject:

no lakers links tonight? doesnt appear so
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: