CLIPPERS -at- LAKERS - 12/16 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hi_ma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:

Thanks. Love AB. Feel way more comfortable when hes in. Nice to see how many guys improved over the summer. Not all, but most

The lakers will get prince.
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

Andrew was near rim level on one of his dunks. Loving it.
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject:

It would be great to see Bynum in the All Stars game.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

Efficient Kobe = Lakers win. Nice to see after the groin injury, but no one should be surprised at #24's mutant-like healing powers.

Also no one should be surprised the Lakers blew out the Clips. It's how it should be with them so undermanned. However, the unexpected parts were the major contributions from Sasha & Luke, a combined 11-13.

Big time game from Bynum. He took the Kaman challenge head on. Numbers-wise, Kaman did well, but if Mihm doesn't allow him to get into rhythm, Kaman's numbers would be worse. Now, Bynum has Kaman's attention. The 2nd matchup will be interesting.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:

Bynum is truly becoming a defensive anchor for the Lakers. A lot of people were hopeful that he'd eventually get there, but most people thought it would take another year or two. However, his defensive recognition has been incredible ever since the Orlando game. He has been locking down the paint ever since.

What has surprised me about Drew is the fact that he's so nimble. Even when he lost all the weight and improved his conditioning over the last 2 seasons, he always looked like a plodder. However, this season is a completely different story. He runs the floor well, moves his feet on defense, and reacts very well to loose balls. Offensively, he's starting to show us a glimpse of what he could become. He doesn't even have a go-to move yet, but it appears that he's fully capable of averaging 15 ppg with consistent playing time and touches. The kid is simply amazing.

Regarding our 2nd unit of Farmar, Vlad, Sasha and Ariza, these guys can really put teams away if their on. The offense flows very well and with Farmar and Ariza's ability to create turnovers and Sasha and Vlad's ability to torch teams from the perimeter in a few short minutes, opposing teams have to very wary when the Lakers put in their 2nd unit...
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject:

Quote:
He swiped a pass in the backcourt, then no-looked to Crit (totally fooled the defender, now Sasha is just turning them into the Washington Generals), Crit then fed Vlad for the score.

Good staff, as usual, DB.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

Awesome as always DB.

I think, on this board, while we're often reminded that Bynum's only 20 years old, we forget what that entails. Not only is he growing into his body, but he's growing out of teenage awkwardness. I think some of us mistook his awkwardness for lack of atheleticism or even lack of effort. But we can see now how he's reacting to things, how much more nimble he is.

And Sasha, "The Machine", the "Sash-O-matic". He really is having himself a good year. He's finally got his game-time schedule sorted out and is showing up at 7:30pm rather than 11:00am.

And good to see Luke have a good game. I think what's been most painful to watch, at least for me, is his descision making this year. He's been making bad passes, turning the ball over and not finding the open man. I think Stu hit it on the head when he said that Luke's shooting woes were affecting the rest of his game and severely shaking his confidence. Maybe this gets him back on track.

Finally, Kobe. It seems like he plays more efficently sick or hurt. He seems to take less ill advised shots or drives. It may not be as exciting, but I'd rather see efficient, under control Kobe more.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject:

thanks man !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

What do you think Sasha needs to do to continue his transformation from a 11:00 A.M. player to a 7:30 P.M. player?
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Thanx DB great as always. Replay is on now on FSN West.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Kobe's 24-hour treatment and 9am shooting practice really emphasizes
his lone Christmas wish--an NBA Championship. His nature is so extreme and competitive, I sometimes think that his mentality might not affect his teammates in the right way. I'm glad Bynum gets it.

Huge props for everything he did in this game. I noticed Bynum does seem to have a difficult time with smaller players swinging at the ball after he rebounds it. Is that just a matter of strengthening his hands or will this problem carry for awhile? Just a small weakness to the his otherwise impressive strengths though.

I also like the rebounding chemistry between Odom and Bynum. Bynum blocks it, then you see Odom swoop in for the rebound. Great stuff. Also good to see a sharp-shooting Luke and Sasha heading into this road-stretch.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap, DB!

I love the game flow for the fourth quarter. Sasha starts the fourth with our lead at 6, and soon enough, it blossoms back into a comfortable 15+. He earned his dancing tomato tonight!

Granted, the Clippers aren't the most intimidating of opponents, but the Lakers were really clicking and it was fun to watch—especially since it was the first game I've had a chance to watch this season! (I've been overseas with slow internet).
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
Bynum is truly becoming a defensive anchor for the Lakers. A lot of people were hopeful that he'd eventually get there, but most people thought it would take another year or two. However, his defensive recognition has been incredible ever since the Orlando game. He has been locking down the paint ever since.

He's changed and improved his technique in swatting shots. He's been consistently better at sizing up opponents, timing shots and avoiding the body contact. It's been mentioned a few times by Stu that Cap has worked with him on the shot blocking. It seems it finally clicked. 3.5 blocks per game since Orlando.

Which now puts him as the 8th best shotblocker in the league:
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Blocks(45.0)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Blocks Per Game(2.05)
Ranks #8 in the NBA in Blocks Per 48 Minutes(3.7)

Here's some of his other rankings:
Ranks #14 in the NBA in Rebounds Per Game(10.0)
Ranks #4 in the NBA in Field-Goal Percentage(0.596)
Ranks #27 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds(56.0)
Ranks #23 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per Game(2.5)
Ranks #17 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds(164.0)
Ranks #9 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per Game(7.5)
Ranks #19 in the NBA in Total Rebounds(220.0)
Ranks #15 in the NBA in Double-doubles(11.0)
Ranks #25 in the NBA in Offensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(4.6)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Defensive Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(13.5)
Ranks #3 in the NBA in Rebounds Per 48 Minutes(18.1)
Ranks #43 in the NBA in Total Efficiency Points(433.0)
Ranks #33 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking(19.68)
Ranks #6 in the NBA in Efficiency Ranking Per 48 Minutes(35.56)
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:45 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Nice to see after the groin injury, but no one should be surprised at #24's mutant-like healing powers.

I'm still surprised. I shouldn't be, but I am.

You look at a game like this and you can see what Kobe might look like past his prime...when he's got to be more conservative and crafty on the perimeter. Pretty impressive.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:

What do you think Sasha needs to do to continue his transformation from a 11:00 A.M. player to a 7:30 P.M. player?

It's a mental/comfort-level thing. Everything you ever hear about him is how deadly he is in practice. He's always had that excellent stroke, just couldn't transfer it to game time. Waaaay back when, the first year I played organized ball, I couldn't transfer my practice shooting to in-game shooting. I could hit a dozen three's in a row in shoot around, then brick when it came to the game. The next year when I practiced I would say a mantra in my with every shot...it would remind me of my mechanics and to lock in on nothing but the hoop. It made a huge difference the following season...huge...and I transfered my practice shooting to the in-game shooting ... never had a problem again. It just took everything else out of the equation and had me repeating the same shooting and mental game in practice as I did in the game. The opponent, the crowd, the situation, all of that disappeared and I was balling again.

Point here is that Sasha has to find a way to filter out those external influences and bring the game back to just him, the ball and the hoop. You can see a guy like Kobe when the game is on the line and he's at the freethrow line in the last minute...the crazed crowd, the opponent, the situation...it all fades to the background and it's just him shooting as if he were in a gym by himself and no one around. I don't know if Sasha is starting to do that or not, but that's the kind of thing that needs to happen to turn an 11 am player into a 7:30 pm player like you mentioned.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:

It's a mental/comfort-level thing. Everything you ever hear about him is how deadly he is in practice. He's always had that excellent stroke, just couldn't transfer it to game time. Waaaay back when, the first year I played organized ball, I couldn't transfer my practice shooting to in-game shooting. I could hit a dozen three's in a row in shoot around, then brick when it came to the game. The next year when I practiced I would say a mantra in my with every shot...it would remind me of my mechanics and to lock in on nothing but the hoop. It made a huge difference the following season...huge...and I transfered my practice shooting to the in-game shooting ... never had a problem again. It just took everything else out of the equation and had me repeating the same shooting and mental game in practice as I did in the game. The opponent, the crowd, the situation, all of that disappeared and I was balling again.

Point here is that Sasha has to find a way to filter out those external influences and bring the game back to just him, the ball and the hoop. You can see a guy like Kobe when the game is on the line and he's at the freethrow line in the last minute...the crazed crowd, the opponent, the situation...it all fades to the background and it's just him shooting as if he were in a gym by himself and no one around. I don't know if Sasha is starting to do that or not, but that's the kind of thing that needs to happen to turn an 11 am player into a 7:30 pm player like you mentioned.

Hey Lakers hire DB as Sasha's mentor.

Anyways, it's nice to see some growth in Sasha and I'm rooting for him because he's very passionate about his game, and he's a bit of an underdog having received an ungodly amount of hate from Lakers fans.
Farmar2Bynum
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject:

- Sean - wrote:
DB - Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking about. Though effective in those HS games, I thought he got by mainly on size -- and being so out of shape, appeared to be more likely the next Stanley Roberts than a center to be reckoned with.

Hearing about his weight loss (and good hands) is what made me feel positive about selecting him. I was impressed after seeing him post weight loss, but then it became more about, what else can you do besides lose weight? This is basketball, show us you can play the game.

I love the conditioning (and initiative/dedication to work w/ Zarzana), but Andrew is also showing an aptitude for the game. That is also what makes the upside so huge. There are guys in great shape that can do positive things out there because of their size and conditioning - but there is a cap on their upside because they aren't really basketball players.

A big muscular guy that can't catch isn't going to finish plays. A strong dude that has no breaks and control of his body is going to mow defenders down and turn the ball over.

Throw the ball to Bynum under the rim, he'll finish a play. Sounds simple? Maybe it is, but look at all the bigs that can't do it. If Bynum is running the floor and makes it near the painted area, you can throw the ball to him w/ the expectation that he can avoid the offensive foul and get a good shot off. Again, sounds simple, but it isn't. There are so many straight-line players that you can't trust to move w/ the ball if a defender is between them and the top of the restricted area. Instant charge. Not the case w/ Bynum.

And it doesn't stop at scoring. He makes good decisions w/ the basketball. If he doesn't have a shot, he's likely not going to waste the possession. The same cannot be said for many players (look at Mihm for a comparison). Some of these guys are so amped to score, they have blinders on once they get the ball. A shot is going up. Either their greed to score or inability to handle the speed of the game will compel them to take a field goal attempt. Bynum doesn't do that. He values possesions and doesn't allow the game's speed to overwhelm him and make bad decisions w/ the ball.

There are many other good things he does, but I'll stop there.

He has weaknesses and things he can't do . Maybe he'll never be able to do them. Maybe be will. I don't know. I do know the physical and mental tools he has are sufficient for a long productful career in this league, and I'm pleased he's reached that point - from a body to a basketball player.

Good post!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: