LAKERS -at- CAVS - 12/20 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:

Quote:
that's two games this season (this and GSW) we had no business losing. we better make up for it with two that we come back from.

When you lack a great decision making point guard and a jumpshooting #1, 2 and 3 option, this and the GS game will happen, again and again and again until eventually one day, maybe just maybe they will realize what the real problem with the Lakers team is.

Do not play to their strengths. Period.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakers1969
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject:

Also, too many bad calls from the ref.

"If you are a LAKER FAN, you are LAKERS FOR LIFE" - Doc Buss

- NBA BIAS
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: LAKERS -at- CAVS - 12/20 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

Thanks DB. this was a very disappointing loss. I thought before the game that AB would be sluggish as apparently Phil has amnesia, even though he proclaimed earlier in the season that AB could play 28 impact mpg before turning to rubber, he's been out of his mind playing him 35-40 for too many games leading into this one. the big kid's development isn't that advanced yet and he was bound to feel the impact sooner or later. Not once during this game did he show the kind of explosion he's capable of, he simply didn't have the energy to stay in front of Hairball(Anderson Varejou).

Now we have a back to back today in Philadephia, and if you thought he looked sluggish yesterday just wait until you see him today.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:

Good analysis DB. Thanks.

First, the second chance points allowed really killed us. Lebron scored some easy baskets because of the second chances.

Second, our bench really disappeared. Kinda disappointed but life goes on.

Finally, while I seldom blame losses on the refs, I think I have the rights to be upset with them today, particularly on the last call on Fish. That was really a BS call.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:

4th Q execution has been poor throughout the season. This has to be rock bottom in that respect.

Has it really? Chicago game was won in the fourth. There were others when the bench has played really well to start the fourth. Not always, sadly. Not in this one either.

Well, let's see... Houston, Milwaukee, NJ, Orlando, GS, now Cleveland - 6 losses in close games late in the 4th. 6 out of 10 losses.
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I hate the one's that get away... so far this year, that would be New Jersey, at Golden State, and, now, at Cleveland. Those ones really sting. However, in the larger picture, I expected us to go 3-1 on this road trip with our loss coming at Chicago or Cleveland, so not too disappointed. We just better close things out at Philly and New York.

Don't forget the Houston one that got away.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject:

Kobe is grand. Kobe is great.

But Kobe took a bad shot at the end.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:

Too bad Sasha couldn't save a couple of his made baskets from last game for this one when they were needed.

Consistency is the missing link for many of the Lakers players and Kobe is having an off year to this point offensively.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
I hate the one's that get away... so far this year, that would be New Jersey, at Golden State, and, now, at Cleveland. Those ones really sting. However, in the larger picture, I expected us to go 3-1 on this road trip with our loss coming at Chicago or Cleveland, so not too disappointed. We just better close things out at Philly and New York.

Houston didn't get away from us... we were down big in that game and came back. The other games we were leading in and the other team came back. There are other games than I mentioned that we should have won... but those three specific gsames (NJ, GS, and Cle) were games where we where we had leads and then lost the game because of poor execution, not because of anything our opponent did.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Houston didn't get away from us... we were down big in that game and came back. The other games we were leading in and the other team came back. There are other games than I mentioned that we should have won... but those three specific gsames (NJ, GS, and Cle) were games where we where we had leads and then lost the game because of poor execution, not because of anything our opponent did.

Thanks DB, I always enjoy your write-ups!

It is frustrating that we are losing those games but encouraging that we seem to be in every game and have a chance to win. We are close to getting over the hump but not quite there yet. We play like a young team in the fourth quarter: erratic.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject:

Very winnable game, NOONE could hit down the stretch. That won't happen again. Between the lack of energy on the defensive glass, poor shooting all around, missed FTs, guys a little banged up, a questionable call here and there, it was one of those "perfect storm" losses imo. 4 out of 5 times they'd have won that game.

These kinds of games--like the GS one, as well--are good for this young team. Different players are getting opportunities to win it in crunch time--Lamar, Bynum, etc--which needs to happen sooner or later.

Is it just me or does this team seem to struggle a little more when they're playing under the bright lights of national TV?

And one more thing that I'm reminded of watching them play on the road that NO OTHER TEAM in the league has to contend with...that's having your game be THE matchup EVERYTIME you come to town; especially for the Eastern Conference teams that only get them once a year.
1on5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Very disappointing finish. Guys chucking up 3's shows a lack of focus and stamina. The 2nd unit stint to end the 3rd and start the 4th really killed all momentum.

No real positives. Only more proof that the team has to learn to gut these kind of games out. LO had a great start, but like usual, not much in the 4th. Bynum's gotta knock down FTs in the clutch. No energy from the bench. No Kobe the closer. **sigh**

4th Q execution has been poor throughout the season. This has to be rock bottom in that respect.

Bynum's gotta get more touches inside and the Laker GUARDS need to STOP chucking up HORRIBLE shots. Bynum should have made his free throws, but so should have Kobe and Fish, who had opportunities to make their under ZERO pressure.

Lamar KEPT us in this game. Period. It's not his fault that he went to the bench and when returned, the team went away from him. I gotta blame Kobe for a bunch of horrible shots. Sorry Kobe lovers, but that's the TRUTH. The fact about Kobe is that, while he wants to win, there's something he wants even more than that -- he wants to win HIS WAY on HIS SHOTS.

I give him HUGE props for pulling down that improbable rebound off of Bynum's miss, but we would not have needed that had he and others displayed better shot selection.

12/9/07 @ :35
12/16/07 @ :20, :42

RG73 - "If Kobe shot the way he does now Kareem would punch him."
1on5
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Quote:
that's two games this season (this and GSW) we had no business losing. we better make up for it with two that we come back from.

When you lack a great decision making point guard and a jumpshooting #1, 2 and 3 option, this and the GS game will happen, again and again and again until eventually one day, maybe just maybe they will realize what the real problem with the Lakers team is.

Do not play to their strengths. Period.

^ GETS IT!

12/9/07 @ :35
12/16/07 @ :20, :42

RG73 - "If Kobe shot the way he does now Kareem would punch him."
yanyon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:

i think the coaching staff did a poor job in the 4th qtr. letting the cavs take the momentum away from the lakers. phil's idea of letting his players figure things out was a idiotic. the last few seconds of the game and his game plan of shooting a 3 (which ive seen a few times this season) instead of going for a 2 to force overtime wasnt a hall of fame game plan decision... i think this was a game the lakers could have one if he just got his players to settle down and substituted wel .. our bench couldnt energize the team coz our coach waited too long to substitute... so i must ask you guys, this is what we pay our hall of fame coach? is he even worth it if he continues to coach this way?
yanyon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

cmon, and to think the cavs just lost the night beofre this game to the sloppy knicks...
AJLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

you're right.
Magics80sLakersGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject:

AJLakerFan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
AJLakerFan wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

you're right.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject:

s_habe wrote:
Klone_dd wrote:

Has it really? Chicago game was won in the fourth. There were others when the bench has played really well to start the fourth. Not always, sadly. Not in this one either.

No, you're right. The poster is just upset over the loss, but he's factually wrong. Our team has typically been strong in the 4th quarter, especially on defense. We're not perfect and there will be games where we just don't execute down the stretch. It happens - and to every team.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject:

^ the problem isnt 4th qtr execution IMO, its closing out the end of quarters in general. too many times we allow teams to push their lead or cut into ours.
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE wrote:
^ the problem isnt 4th qtr execution IMO, its closing out the end of quarters in general. too many times we allow teams to push their lead or cut into ours.

Completely agree.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject:

Muad'Dib wrote:
Very winnable game, NOONE could hit down the stretch. That won't happen again. Between the lack of energy on the defensive glass, poor shooting all around, missed FTs, guys a little banged up, a questionable call here and there, it was one of those "perfect storm" losses imo. 4 out of 5 times they'd have won that game.

These kinds of games--like the GS one, as well--are good for this young team. Different players are getting opportunities to win it in crunch time--Lamar, Bynum, etc--which needs to happen sooner or later.

Is it just me or does this team seem to struggle a little more when they're playing under the bright lights of national TV?

And one more thing that I'm reminded of watching them play on the road that NO OTHER TEAM in the league has to contend with...that's having your game be THE matchup EVERYTIME you come to town; especially for the Eastern Conference teams that only get them once a year.

Maybe I am a downer, but the fact that no one was able to hit down the stretch is a past staple of this team and I wouldn't doubt that we do see it again. If Kobe doesn't take the last shot who does? We have seen what happens when it is Luke, Lamar, DFish, and Sasha and it is not surprising to me that they couldn't hit--they rarely can when it is absolutely necessary (0.4 excepted).
Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject:

Cardom wrote:
8750 wrote:
Thanks, DB
two days ago we saw popovich calling a timeout when is team was losing 4-2, after two minutes.. tonight we saw our coach standing there while the team went for a 0-16... i don't like the control freaks, in basketball and in life, but i also don't like when a coach behaves like a spectator... phil jackson is still a good strategic coach, but when the game begins he becomes totally ineffective, with very slow reflexes...

If that was Spurs that allowed that 16-0 run, Popovich would have punched somebody in the face.

The Spurts players are too smart to ever let that happen. A guy like Ginobili or Parker will at least get to the line to stop a run. They play ugly, but they always seem to win.

Our team, Kobe included, thinks they can end ugly runs with threes, and it doesn't work that way.

Not to make excuses, but Bynum's misses at the line late were a combo of never having been in that situation with the game on the line, and fatigue, he'd already played 41 minutes at that point and all but 30 seconds of the second half.
Why didn't Phillip use Turiaf at the 4 at all? Especially if Radmonovich is playing with bad wrists? Phillip really pisses me off sometimes.

And as great as Odom played early (unbelievable change in his game), he immediately reverted back. Baseline 3 first 10 seconds of 2nd half, other baseline jumpers in crunch time, never went to his right again after that first initial drive.
And it kind of shows how he's not really a great rebounder when a true hustle 4 does what Varejao did last night.

I wanted to get that guy in a S and T so bad it was ridiculous. Stats don't begin to tell what that guy does for a team. His +/- last year was top 25 for a reason. And his charges taken per minute were basically twice what the 2nd place guy had. He's a sane, and bigger Rodman who can play the 4 or 5, and actually make some free throws.

People keep trying to say that he screwed up with his hold out, but unless he gets injured he's gonna get paid big time after next year. And Cleveland will also start winning a lot more games with him back.
If Cleveland loses him, LeBron will walk for sure.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Bas wrote:
Good recap DB.

Another one that was thrown away. Oh well..
indeed
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject:

Glad we were able to bounce back against 76ers.
jd2k
LG Multimedia Team
LG Multimedia Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject:

As much as it kills me to rewatch a game that they lost for highlights, I still got to do it because Andrew really put up some nice numbers in this game.

Andrew Bynum Highlights in HD.
http://www.vimeo.com/447649
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: