The LG ad is a problem for members with limited (older) PC resources

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:07 am    Post subject: The LG ad is a problem for members with limited (older) PC resources

I don't expect any changes for just me but I would like to know if anyone would know how long that new Java Script flash ad will be posted at the top of LG?

It is clear to me that the new Java Script flash program ad is causing a memory leak that is eating up my memory that slowly brings my computer to the point that nothing works on the Net as my data transfer rate comes to a halt.

The add is dynamic and always changing which I can see (my virus protection allows be to monitor what is being scanned) not only causes my virus protection to be continually scanning the activity which is not an issue but as I said also eats up my memory which in turn eventually brings my computer to a halt and I have to reboot.

It seems that I ultimately need to reboot about every ½-2 hours or so. I know it is the flash program ad on LG not only because I have nothing else running but also because I have not only tracked it through my Avast virus protection application as I said but have also monitored the activity using other process monitor applications I have as well. This process activity coincides to my computer having less and less RAM available as the Java Script flash program recycles the JPEG files.

I know this because I have applications that can monitor bandwidth, download and upload of data transfer rates and the longer I use LG the less the data transfer rate level becomes until finally the transfer rate halts. I try clearing memory and cache but ultimtately only a reboot solves the problem by inititalizing memory.

I also know it is the flash program ad because I will occassionally get messages telling me that the flash program is using up to much resources and will slow the computer down giving me the option to skip the upload of the program. When I say "YES" to skip the flash program the ad does NOT LOAD which clearly shows this is what is causing the problem.

Beyond all of those problems I have even experienced the "blue screen" VDX error as well which I am certain is also because of the flash program ad on LG that continues to recycle based on the fact that I am only using the LG forum.

I understand my resources are limited as I am using a Pentium II with only 96 RAM and the WIN98SE O.S. but I don't think an ad should still cause such a problem anyway. In my estimation the Java flash program was either poorly written or not written with older systems in mind, since as I said this should really not be a problem even with my older system.

I am a retired programmer and am sadly aware that softward manufacturers place very low priority on older softward and O.S. systems. I have had to switch to Yahoo email because of Hotmails upgrade to what they call "LIVE" MAIL, which is far as I'm conerned is DEAD mail since it not only doesn't work in all aspects with WIN98SE but will sometimes crash my browser. It seems that no one cares about users who have older systems or limited resouces.

Again, anyone know how long ads typically stay on LG? I know they change from time to time and I can say I am looking forward to when this ad is changed.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
JD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject:

Actually... your comp is woefully inadequate for today's Internet environment. The problem isn't the ad. Systems such as your's aren't even a blip on the radar, during the thought process, of making these ads.

Time for you to break down and buy a new computer.

Or, you could install Firefox and Adblock plugin to block the ad.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:26 pm    Post subject:

^ thanks very much for your quick reply...

I realize my comp is old but I still do not have this same issue with other ads or websites that have these same type of Java Script flash ads.

My contention is that this ad was either poorly written with possibly a memory leak issue in the code possibly and at the same time is possibly poorly written in regards to how it is launched using the Adobe Flash Player. I seem to detect an occassional hang time before the ad gets loaded now and then and then of course the load will actually generate the Adobe Flash Player warning (see below) message (infreqently fortunately) on occassion. Again my conclusion is based on the fact that as I said I do not have this problem with other ads or websites with similar Java Script flash ads as I do with this on on LG.

I have had the Adobe Flash player give me the message I spoke of again since posting this.
Quote:
A Script is causing Adobe Flash Player 9 to run slowly... your computer may become nonresponsive... abort the script?

Which of course I do abort and as I said the ad does not load.

Just to let you know I recieve all kinds of emails with e-cards that use the Flash player and while they are admittedly slow they have never caused this error message at any time and still do not as I just had a birthday with a number of flash player e-cards sent to me this month.

This is a message that I ONLY get on LG with this specific ad and have never gotten on any other web sites who as I said incidently have simliar Java Script flash ads as well.

So even though as you say my system is old and "woefully inadequate" it DOES work without problems outside of LG and I do have a rather robust Avast anti-virus program that gives me no problems as well even considering the limited resources.

So I'd still have to say that the ad is the problem to at least a large extent simply based on how my computer works well enough otherwise.

So with that in mind is there anyone that maybe has an idea HOW LONG ADS REMAIN ON THE SITE BEFORE THEY ARE SWAPPED OUT FOR ANOTHER?

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject:

I didn't read any of this because I'm already planning on pulling that ad network down very soon for a variety of reasons.
D's Advocate
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Actually... your comp is woefully inadequate for today's Internet environment. The problem isn't the ad. Systems such as your's aren't even a blip on the radar, during the thought process, of making these ads.

Interestingly enough the current version of firefox has a pretty annoying memory leak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject:

D's Advocate wrote:
JD wrote:

Interestingly enough the current version of firefox has a pretty annoying memory leak.

Every version of Firefox since the very first public release when it was still called Phoenix has had the exact same problem.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject:

Since the ad was pulled I no longer get WARNING FROM THE ADOBE FLASH PROGRAM and I no longer have a slow MEMORY LOSS issue or as in one instance a blue screen error for a VxD issue. Actually WIN98SE uses the newer WDM driver standard as well as the older VxD driver standard. This kind of error also would suggest to me that this ad was likely written by someone who was using older coding techniques or was possibly an older program written some time ago.

Thus this is FURTHER proof (no more problems) of the fact the ad was poorly written and not only bad at launching it's script software but was as I suspected eating up memory.

We still have some looping ads as far as the new ones but without the poorly written code as was the case with the pulled ad which was java script flash which looped at a much faster pace (every 2 seconds) and obviously was not only not clearing out memory adequately but had issues launching the adobe flash program.

On thing is for sure, older systems like mine serve as a tool to know if a script program has not been written well or not if nothing more.

There is actually really no reason a Java Script flash ad should cause any problem even with my limited resources.

Sure a system with limited resources will be slow no queston there and videos can be a real problem as far as swapping out memory, but there is no reason for any web page in the world to need even just a small fraction of the 64 RAM or even the even older 32 RAM systems actually since pages will be swapped out anyway. It really should only be just a speed thing as the RAM should still clearly not be an issue (other than speed) that would cause a comp to give warning messages or ultimately lock up or shut down. The fact is games and memory intensive software applications clearly can be an issue as far as RAM or computer speed is concerned but certainly NOT for iInternet web pages really. I am willing to put up with my slow 2-10 Kb/sec download time for page loads (5 Kb/sec average) but there really is no excuse for simply bad code, imho.

With that said, it is equally clear that poorly written software will bring down a system with limited resources as opposed on the other hand to the fact that comp's with all the bells and whistles that have what amounts to vitually unlimited resources will clearly mask the problems that are caused by any programs that are poorly written.

There are clearly not many of us WIN98 users I know but there are some advantages as far as DOS access not available any more. The fact that WIN98 also offers regressive support for DOS applications in the form of being able to boot into a native "DOS Mode" is kind of nice to get at the basics of the OS. There is also the fact that virus writers actually do target the newer OS's as well. There is a certain charm to WIN98SE as it has a combination of the newer GUI interface but still allows the user to perform actions that the newer systems simply do not allow anymore.

With that said I will surely be getting a newer computer in the future but I still hold a lot of value for the nostalgia for my older system that still works without problems (if software is written reasonably well) just as I hold value for my collections of old car scale models and collections of old movies.

I wish I could remember where and when I read it, but I remember an article that said there were over 800 million WIN98 users worldwide. Most of them in eastern Europe, Russia and China. I think it may have been a year or two ago however.

Clearly these numbers have dropped off precipitously since MS stopped supporting WIN98 as we would expect.

Even so the current users worldwide with OS's with 98SE or older are estimated to be:
Windows 98: 7.8%
Windows ME: 3.4%
NT: 1.4 %
95: 0.19 %

Total users with Win98 or older: 12.7%

It should be noted these stats not only includes private consumers worldwide but also includes businesses worldwide as well.

It might be interesting to know also that there are 21% still using 128 RAM or less and 19% still using 700 Mhz or less worldwide.

You see there are actually still a few of us oldies out there and I think that writers of software should consider this as they clearly actually have to as far as browser compatability as we all know.

Since some have posted on Firefox you might find the browser users stats interesting which are:
IE7 - 40.6%
IE6 - 35.2%
Firefox2.0 - 15.8%
Safari3.0 - 3.7%
Safari41 - 1.4%
Other - 3.3%

Totals:
IE - 75.8%
Firefox - 15.9%

Netscape sure did disappear from once being number 2 after IE to virtually nothing at .15%. Gates pretty much killed that browser with his bundling OS method that if I recall the courts upheld.

Here is a bit of trivia as far as an overall list that total at least .01% for those interested:
Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0 40.61%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 35.18%
Firefox 2.0 15.80%
Safari 3.0 3.69%
Safari 41 1.38%
Opera 9.x 0.63%
Firefox 1.5 0.58%
Netscape 6.0 0.42%
Safari 31 0.42%
Firefox 1.0 0.34%
Netscape 7.0 0.15%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 0.12%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 0.12%
Netscape 8.0 0.09%
Firefox 3.0 0.07%
Safari on Windows 3.0 0.06%
Mozilla 1.7 0.05%
Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer 4.0 0.03%
Danger Web Browser 5.0 0.02%
Konqueror 5.0 0.02%
PSP 0.02%
Safari 85 0.02%
Blazer 6.0 0.02%
Mozilla 0.02%
Opera Mini 4.0 0.02%
PLAYSTATION 3 5.0 0.01%
Firefox 0.1 0.01%
WebTV Plus Receiver 4.0 0.01%
Microsoft Pocket Internet Explorer I607FG1 Mozilla/4.0 0.01%
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 0.01%
Opera Mini 3.1 0.01%
Safari 12 0.01%

Browser Market Share

LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Just a suggestion for anyone else running into this -- with an older system where resources are limited, the first thing I would be doing is to configure my hosts file so it won't load the ads at all. (Not that I want to encourage people not to provide LG with revenue, but you gotta do what you gotta do...)

For more information on doing this, here's a good podcast:

Security Now episode 45
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:

You and JD are killing me with all your ad blocking suggestions!
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
You and JD are killing me with all your ad blocking suggestions!

I know your kidding as I'm sure your aware of how prevelant this information is on the Net anyway.

With that said....

Your probably don't have to worry about LarryCoon's post since for one thing on my dial-up downloading at around 4 kb/sec it took around 23 minutes to download the podcast. Not likely those with slower systems will have the patience.

Secondly, the podcast ended before it really said specifically how to block adds anyway. But as I said before, the method is a very commonly known method of blocking undesirable web site addresses that can be found all over the internet actually. As you probably know it is simply the method of including web page domain name in the Hosts file that matches to the IP address of your own computer and since web page IP address are not queried that exist in the Hosts file the page is not found that points to the IP address of your own computer thus the domain is not loaded.

Thirdly, in the case of older systems like win98/me/95 the instructions on the podcast as far as the location of the hosts file is incorrect but it's not easy to figure out the difference anyway (I won't say where the location really is for these OP systems ).

Fourth, and most important anyway, it is really kind of bothersome to constantly be adding domain name's for the URL's for just the ads on a site since the name's will constantly change and in many cases there are so many actually. It is really only practical for blocking entire web sites that are undesirable just as Spybot already does for that matter. Also by worring about just specific ads on sites it could possibly become kind of cumbersome I'd think as far as the size of the Hosts file after awhile unless the user is actually deleting old ones which is even more of a bother since the old ones would have to be cataloged.

I will say that in the instance where that last ad that was pulled did cause problems however the idea that LarryCoon posted can be very helpful actually but again it would only block that problem ad and any new ads would presumably be under another domain name and thus not be affected of course.

So I do appreciate the reminder by LarryCoon...

As I said, the fact is anyone using the Hosts tool with Sypbot will find that behind the scenes Spybot is modifying the Hosts file to block unwanted web sites on a regular basis that Spybot has considered undesirable or risky.

Bottom line, I really don't think it's an issue at all as long as the ad is not badly written as I have posted before and since the problem ad was pulled there is no big deal (as I'm sure you know as well).

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: