LG is running really slowly for me tonight

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: LG is running really slowly for me tonight

Don't know what the cause is, but it took over 2 minutes just to get the site to load, another minute or so to log in, about 20 seconds to get to the user feedback forum and another 15 to bring up post a new topic.

There are a little over 400 people using the site, and 70 are registered users. 6 are secret and the rest are "guests".

I have AT&T DSL Pro.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:

It's the number of users. The server gets bogged down when we are at these 450 numbers like we were.

I've had someone tooling around with the server all weekend looking at different things. I think we're probably going to have to spend some $$$ on new hardware.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject:

It's been running slow for a while now. I understand when Pau was traded, but even before then and since then.

DB, out of curiosity, what kind of hardware are you thinking about? New server? Didn't LG just get a new server, or does the server not transfer with the new ownership changes?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject:

It did. But it's an older IBM x-series Linux box that's a little behind the times. There are some tuning things we can do to speed it up, but the biggest improvement would be buying a second server for the database engine, and leaving the current server handling the web traffic. Keep your donations coming!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:

How much does a second server cost?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject:

We honestly don't need that much. $2K ballpark for a 1U rack-mount Linux server, couple cores, reasonable disk space. Our database is actually pretty puny by industry standards, and so is our demand, and we'll reap a huge benefit just by separating the web front end from the database back end. That's for a minimum installation. We could go up from there -- for instance, it'd be a good idea to have a RAID array instead of a single disk, which ups the cost.

Also, if we went to two servers, it'd double our colo costs. Like I said, keep your donations coming!
KBryantisclutch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject:

It has been running slow for me many nights, tonight is an example.
Money needs to be raised, is what I'm understanding, so what happens after that? How long will that take? Those who donate maybe should get faster service too. In any way, I am looking forward to a speedy recovery, if you will. This site is well worth it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: