LG needs an upgrade

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dukdukgoos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: LG needs an upgrade

This forum is barely usable right now with all the traffic. It's only going to get worse as the Lakers pile up the wins on the way to a playoff run. Time to upgrade the servers or hosting provider?
Serious NBA Fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject:

And perhaps time to start making a donation run to support the upgrade
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject:

this needs to be done.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject:

All three of the above posts are correct. I think we now know what we want to purchase. It won't come cheap, but hopefully you guys can all help chip in a little when we do the fundraising here shortly.
Dennis_D
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Will it be Paypal donations or a shirt sale (or both)?
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
All three of the above posts are correct. I think we now know what we want to purchase. It won't come cheap, but hopefully you guys can all help chip in a little when we do the fundraising here shortly.

Will this be made public knowledge to all of the posters here i.e. exact number of dollars needed, currently raised funds and so on? I think we would all hate to be on the outside looking in at LG, when the Lakers make their championship run soon.

I think most of the regulars here would gladly chip in to help LG take another step forward.

Last edited by oldschool32 on Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject:

I would be in favor of LG being at least a partial pay site. That way it would filter out the trolls. I mean, who would pay to troll LG after that? Not many is my guess.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject:

I saw on another site that when a member donates money they put in his avatar for example: LG supporter. That way people know you donated and it gives the member a feeling of 'recognition' I guess

But it works there and I think it would be a great idea and LG will get a lot more donations.
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject:

stacato wrote:
I saw on another site that when a member donates money they put in his avatar for example: LG supporter. That way people know you donated and it gives the member a feeling of 'recognition' I guess :lol:

But it works there and I think it would be a great idea and LG will get a lot more donations.

They've got a similar thing here with real names:

http://www.lakersground.net/halloffame.php

Anyway, uberzev and I spoke quite a bit about hosting packages last time this problem started to get serious, and if you went with the one he and I discussed this shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe something else is causing it? Older version of phpBB/bad proprietary code/etc. If you were to spend money I'd spend it trying to make sure that stuff was all as clean and fast as it could possibly be before I committed to upgrading my hosting. Regardless though, good luck in whatever you guys decide to do :)

AL.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject:

How many user's does it take slow things down?

I noticed today, a non game day, a Thursday, at Noon there were over 400 users on.

Yikes
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject:

ALbino wrote:
stacato wrote:
I saw on another site that when a member donates money they put in his avatar for example: LG supporter. That way people know you donated and it gives the member a feeling of 'recognition' I guess

Anyway, uberzev and I spoke quite a bit about hosting packages last time this problem started to get serious, and if you went with the one he and I discussed this shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe something else is causing it? Older version of phpBB/bad proprietary code/etc. If you were to spend money I'd spend it trying to make sure that stuff was all as clean and fast as it could possibly be before I committed to upgrading my hosting. Regardless though, good luck in whatever you guys decide to do

AL.
Our hosting isn't the issue, it's our hardware.
No. 17
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject:

ALbino wrote:
stacato wrote:

Anyway, uberzev and I spoke quite a bit about hosting packages last time this problem started to get serious, and if you went with the one he and I discussed this shouldn't really be a problem. Maybe something else is causing it? Older version of phpBB/bad proprietary code/etc. If you were to spend money I'd spend it trying to make sure that stuff was all as clean and fast as it could possibly be before I committed to upgrading my hosting. Regardless though, good luck in whatever you guys decide to do

AL.

Yes, this is a nice list, but what I'm talking about is an insert in the member's avatar, so it is a lot more visible to everyone and the member gets constant 'exposure' sort of speak. Anyways, I hope they will do it I'm sure it will increase donations and the site will be upgraded to everyone's benefit
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
How many user's does it take slow things down?

I noticed today, a non game day, a Thursday, at Noon there were over 400 users on.

Yikes

I think that people need to log off if they are not actually actively on LG. Maybe that will help. I know I am guilty and leave myself logged in. I even have it setup to have me logged in whenever I get on LG. Will that help?
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

How can I help? Paypal? I honestly don't know. I anticipate a long playoff run and I want to be able to log in with my LG brothers/sisters to enjoy the ride as much as possible.

I'm sure I am not the only one that want$ to contribute to helping LG run smoother.

Regards,

Texas_Pete
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I think that people need to log off if they are not actually actively on LG. Maybe that will help. I know I am guilty and leave myself logged in. I even have it setup to have me logged in whenever I get on LG. Will that help?

The effect would be negligible. You'll free up one web server process and its associated memory, but if that process isn't actively querying the database (i.e., if you're not actively doing stuff) then having an extra process sitting around doesn't really hurt. Our bottleneck is in the throughput of the system when there's a lot of simultaneous load, and that's mainly because the database engine has a lot of tasks to service.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
ALbino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject:

stacato wrote:
Yes, this is a nice list, but what I'm talking about is an insert in the member's avatar, so it is a lot more visible to everyone and the member gets constant 'exposure' sort of speak. Anyways, I hope they will do it I'm sure it will increase donations and the site will be upgraded to everyone's benefit :)

I dunno, I'd be embarrassed to have that... I'm not sure why, but I would be. I'm on that Hall of Fame list, but it's my real name and not my username, which suits me just fine :)

But, hey, if it encourages other people to support the site then I'm all for it :)

AL.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
I would be in favor of LG being at least a partial pay site. That way it would filter out the trolls. I mean, who would pay to troll LG after that? Not many is my guess.

Don't agree... I don't like the idea of limiting membership this way....

I like the idea of paypal and I also like the idea of adding LG supporter or something in the area of the Avatar for supporters.

Maybe a seperate set of stars for amount of support per year or something.

But to require pay would take away from the concept of what a board on the internet symbolizes, imho.

Also I might add that the ads should bring in more money based on traffic so it would seem logical to me that the increased traffic can help raise the demand for more return from the ads.... Clearly a marketing tactic that should be used by those in charge of such things.

More traffic should correlate to more ad revenue pure and simple it would seem.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule, I agree with you. I don't think we should limit the traffic, we just need to handle it. If we ever went to any sort of paid subscription, I would want that to be for "additional benefits", whatever those may be (I don't know). But I think if we were creative enough, we could probably come up with some subscriber benefits that go beyond the regular service...and provide an enhanced LG experience. That would be the win-win for the site and the subscribers.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: This site is toast - too bad.

Not to sound like an ahole because I wish it weren't the case, but LG is going to be nothing but an "also ran" during an important run in Lakers lore come playoff time.

If a couple of February wins over non-Playoff teams bring the site to a frustrating standstill, this site will be effectively worthless come a playoff series in May or June.

And that's a shame because it doesn't have to be that way. Other sites have found a way to keep their head above water during extreme traffic.

Hopefully you guys can match that kind of performance.

But as of now, it feels like I should start weaning myself away from this place to somewhere I can actually discuss even a regular season win in the hours after it happened rather than to wait a day or two for the site to cooperate.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Alpha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject:

Dude, I'll give you a chance to edit your post but to be quite frank your post is coming across as whining.

It's one thing to suggest improvement but it sounds like you're on the way out the door.

If you read some of the other threads here you'll see that this isn't an observation that is going undetected by others... in fact, just think how long Jason has run the site out of his own pocket... and how short a time Phil and now DB have owned it (again, don't forget that this is a FREE site... for users not owners).

FYI there is a LOT of effort going on behind the scenes by DB, Larry, Phil, Exick, Zev and I'm sure others whom I'm missing. AND there have been many members who have approached this same issue in a more positive manner offering expertise, connections and money to help out.

I did read your entire post (more than once) and know you stated that you are not trying to come across that way but my apologies as I get a bit sensitive when it comes to people not knowing to what great lengths DB & his team is going thru in giving us a place to appreciate & enjoy.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:

Just a follow-up to what Alpha said -- I think DB is pretty close to kicking off the funding drive.

I hope that everyone who enjoys LG is willing to pitch in so we can put these site performance issues behind us. And there's an old saying about money & mouths that make this especially true for some.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dna.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject:

stacato wrote:

Was it decided not to go with this option?

Will donators via The 2008 LakersGround Donation Drive be listed on the Hall Of Fame instead?

Just curious what was decided... Personally I do like the idea of "donator" or something listed by my name and agree it should raise awareness
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: