What happened to the "Lakers and McCain" thread?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: What happened to the "Lakers and McCain" thread?

I had just managed to get it back onto topic where we were talking about strange correlations involving the Lakers and Phil Jackson. For example, that leap year correlation between the Lakers, Phil Jackson and the NBA Finals was very interesting. The thread did not even get moved; it just got deleted. There was nothing wrong with the original post. Why was it deleted? The only reason that these correlations exist is because of the Lakers relative domination of the Western Conference over the last 60 years. Imagine trying to find a correlation with the Clippers.

Was the antijinx that McCain supporters were going to have to perform make the national elections unfair in November?

--Anonymous
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I moved it into a staff forum. In my opinion as well as many who posted on it it was too political for the lounge. I also think for off-topic but you can always appeal this move to another mod and we can discuss it or to DancingBarry or leader.

You may also pm me with any comments if you like. Thanks for your understanding.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject:

Phil wrote:
I moved it into a staff forum. In my opinion as well as many who posted on it it was too political for the lounge. I also think for off-topic but you can always appeal this move to another mod and we can discuss it or to DancingBarry or leader.

You may also pm me with any comments if you like. Thanks for your understanding.

It was definitely about the Lakers and an unusual correlation. The original post was definitely within the guidelines listed in the FAQ; it was not vulgar nor did it attack anybody or anything. The original post was completely apolitical in that it was completely factual and did not indicate any political preference. Usually when individual posters screw up a thread by being vulgar (I wouldn't really even call even the most heated post in that thread as being vulgar though), the posters are dealt with individually. Yanking the entire thread off the board for a few obnoxious posters seems a bit rash.

By the way. The Clippers made it to the playoffs in 74, 75, 76, 92, 93, 97 and 06. I cannot figure out any correlations here at all.

--Anonymous
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Phil wrote:

It was definitely about the Lakers and an unusual correlation. The original post was definitely within the guidelines listed in the FAQ; it was not vulgar nor did it attack anybody or anything. The original post was completely apolitical in that it was completely factual and did not indicate any political preference. Usually when individual posters screw up a thread by being vulgar (I wouldn't really even call even the most heated post in that thread as being vulgar though), the posters are dealt with individually. Yanking the entire thread off the board for a few obnoxious posters seems a bit rash.

By the way. The Clippers made it to the playoffs in 74, 75, 76, 92, 93, 97 and 06. I cannot figure out any correlations here at all.

Don't know how you can say it's non-political with a politicians name in the title and i would have worked half the night telling everyone on that thread what they did wrong and they'd say, "hey, look at the title!"

As I said, you are free to appeal to another mod or DancingBarry.

Guess i take back the "thanks for understanding."
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Phil wrote:
Annihilator wrote:
Phil wrote:

Don't know how you can say it's non-political with a politicians name in the title and i would have worked half the night telling everyone on that thread what they did wrong and they'd say, "hey, look at the title!"

As I said, you are free to appeal to another mod or DancingBarry.

Guess i take back the "thanks for understanding."

There is no where in the FAQ that says that the word "McCain" is forbidden. The orignial post was completely within the guidelines. So, no, I really do not understand.

--Anonymous
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/faq.php

"Do not use profanity or make vulgar remarks about a person's age, sex, race, nor any political, social, economical or religious affiliation."

I'm going to move your thread back to thte lounge and probably quit moderating.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject:

Phil wrote:

"Do not use profanity or make vulgar remarks about a person's age, sex, race, nor any political, social, economical or religious affiliation."

I agree completely with the FAQ. I try my best to stay within the rules in the FAQ with all of most posts.

I also appreciate the hard work that the moderators do here on this site. I really enjoy coming here and I realize that the moderators are part of the reason LG is such a nice place to post.

--Anonymous
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
Phil wrote:

I agree completely with the FAQ. I try my best to stay within the rules in the FAQ with all of most posts.

I also appreciate the hard work that the moderators do here on this site. I really enjoy coming here and I realize that the moderators are part of the reason LG is such a nice place to post.

It has long been the policy of no politics on LG and yet this is the only reference to it. I spent an hour or so on this tonight and I am through moderating. You can do the news too, okay?

No personal attacks/smack - Respect the opinions of others and do not single out any other fan in the community. Do not use profanity or make vulgar remarks about a person's age, sex, race, nor any political, social, economical or religious affiliation.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject:

I'm going to lock it. As well intentioned as it was, inevitably others will take the opportunity to infuse politics and the associated bitterness that usually seems to follow. When politics enters a thread, it becomes a very high-maintenance topic to moderate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: