LAKERS -at- CELTICS - 6/17 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject:

Phil's words at half-time must have sounded hollow to the players because he "gave it away" to Boston just a smuch as they did. I thought he git thoroughly outcoached. His stubborness with rotations, with TO's, and with needed adjustments was huuuuuge.

It just felt like he was detached and coasting through much of th series. the team never seemed prepared once Boston deviated from their own tendencies/script.

Phil did a great job to get the team here, but seemed to lose interest once they got to the finals.

Just a wierd, detached performance by the zen master.

SGH
yanyon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject:

thank you DB for your incredible effort in giving us updates of both game and player statistics in each game whether summer league, pre-season, regular season games and till the finals... you are truly lakers by heart just like some of us here. i always appreciate the effort that you give specially if it takes away time from your family. thanks to them as well for letting you continue what you do best. i hope next season will bring us a better situation. i hope next year we win it all. goodluck with this offseason and i hope to see you back hear with your tremendous game stats.
baconbish
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject:

thanks DB for everything youve done this past season. your reviews have always been fun to read. after each game i would always compare what smileys i had in my head going for each player with what you would put.

thanks again for taking out the time to do something for the fans here. much love! and enjoy the break
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB for all the effort you put into these all season long. It's one of my favorite things about LG. Now take a well deserved rest and let's go again in October!

Go Lakers!

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
d4rko
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all the reviews DB.
GasolFolks!
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject:

DB,

I don't usually read the frowny recaps, but since this is the last of the season... Thanks for another year of great work, too bad the Lakers couldn't follow more of your advice in this series.

If we had to lose, this is probably the best way to go. The crushing pain should get the whole organization motivated.

As for the big picture, the season was not in vain. We went from "what package will the Bulls offer?" to favored in the Finals. Erase a few quarters of lapses and the whole series looks different. The Celtics, post Garnett trade, were favored to win it all; they met their expectations. Meanwhile, we got a good hard painful look at our deficiencies. The loss here will guide future transactions. Specifically, we need some bruisers. Fortunately, we have the pieces to get a trade done.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB, from the heart
88MAGIC88
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject:

DB, you're the King! Thanks for all your hard work.
Mel Rose
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB, for all the great write-ups this year. Enjoy some family time!
KB0024
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject:

MVP chant for DB
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject:

The thing that bothered me most is that at halftime Phil stressed ball movement and penetration. We then came out and launched jump shots with very little ball movement.
lakefan24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject:

Good Job DB. Always doing a good job. And good job Lakers for getting to the finals.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject:

lakefan24 wrote:
Good Job DB. Always doing a good job. And good job Lakers for getting to the finals.

My thoughts also. Great, great job writing these up all year.

I've said all along that it seems like teams have to almost make it and suffer the heartbreak and then get over the hump the next year. I hope that's what these Lakers do and we start a new dynasty next year.

Phil or someone said after the game that the Lakers never expected to be there in the finals, it was a suprize, guess it finally caught up with them, and the young guys fell apart. Celtics retooled and went all out at begining of season with one goal in mind, winning it all. They accomplished that, give them their due. I think only Kobe and Fish really realize what got away. We are all counting on Bynum and no injuries next year but anything can happen. We might be unlucky next few years and not make it back to have a chance. Oh well, here's to next year.

And I agree with SGH, Phil got out-coached in this series and seemed, oddly, not to care much. Not sure why, bu tnot a lot of intensity from him either. Maybe it's time for him to hang it up and retire.
John O
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, DB, for the amazing and much appreciated effort, game after game.

Sad it ended like this but we'll be back next year!
dawglaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject:

thanx for everythin DB till next season, hopefully with the return of Bynum we'll sweep the motherf*ckers
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Great recap DB. My first year on LG. It's, IMO, the best site on the web for Laker chats. We started the year with a team that was picked to lose in the first round. We made it to the finals and had hope. I changed my avatar back to Taz but I do believe. Next year will be one that will produce a dynasty or at the very least a very entertaining season. Laker for life......

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject:

DB

I want to join the legion of fans on this newsgroup in giving you HUGE PROPS for you always amazing and insightful breakdowns of all the games. Thank You.

DB Questions

Re: Phil Jackson Being Outcoached
All one has to ask is this question - would you rather have Doc Rivers than Phil Jackson?!?! Easy answer, its PJ

Game 6 Loss
A loss is not disappointing, but failing to compete is very disappointing - which appeared to happened from the 3rd quarter on - as noted by Phil Jackson's statement of how deflated the team was during halftime. In painful retrospect, there might be more value in being demolished in the last game that provides a tangible example of what it takes to win a championship. Of course, one would get LO's comments that is lackdaisal along with Sasha's comments that he will immediately get back into the gym to improve his game (I luv his comments!)

Rick Fox's Assessment
He stated that the Lakers need somebody that provides a more physical presence in the paint. Isn't Turiaff suppose to be that person - who would be even more useful when Bynum returns? It is recognized that Turiaff still has a developing offensive/defensive game, so one wonders what Rick Fox was thinking. Of course, PJ didn't use him so maybe this season he thought that Turiaff wasn't ready since he wasn't bringing anything to the game.

LO
Rick Fox's assessment that if the Triangle isn't effectively working, than LO seems to fade away. Add to that that Pau was taken out of the game with his "wimpy" moves around the basket, it takes away the Kobe/Pau 2 man game that LO fees off (good coaching by the Celtics). I guess that means that LO doesn't have the game to create shots for himself?!?!

Conslusion
Next season definitely looks bright - especially if the young Lakers (anyone outside of DFish and Kobe) now completely understands what is needed to win at the highest level!
X56
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for recaps DB.

I know i was hoping for a smiley but after half time, i was just wishing that if we do lose, at least we go out fighting and lose with dignity. Unfortunately such wasn't the case.

I have a feeling that the Christmas game next year will be LA vs. Boston.

16 smileys for next year's playoffs.

All the best to you and your family.
BenO
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject:

DB thankyou for all your hard work over the season. I read your recap every game without fail, and being based in Australia that's about the only way I get to keep track of what's going on.

Fingers crossed they give you a max contract over the summer so we can guarantee your services well into the next decade.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject:

it sucked, but i think the pain will make our team better. the young guys had to have their hearts broken. gasol DEFINITELY needed to get his hopes crushed.

why? it's called the mutha of all motivation. to whoop some ass and take names next year - so they never have to feel this way again.

just like how jordan decimated thomas and the pistons in 91 after losing to them in 90.

Robby
Prometheus8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks for your dedication and great analysis all year long DB.

Tough ending, but the Lakers did hugely overachieve this season. With a few breaks the last game could be all smiley faces next season.

"...one of the most valuable players in the league…"– Phil Jackson about Ron Artest in 2005
tigerladygal
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject: What a run..

...DancingBarry,
been visiting this site on and off, made a couple of posts in the past but haven't been back here til this past week. Thanks for allowing us to share our thoughts. And good to be back here, posting again. ......although, i don't know if i'll be a regular here or not..

First off, concur with your opening post and analysis.

As for the season and Finals, well, i'm sure all of us didn't expect the Lakers to pull off a Finals appearance. Let alone won 2 games against the mighty, loaded and hungry Celtics squad.

As for the coaching in the Finals, esp. by Phil Jackson, i thought he was partly "outcoached" by Rivers, but only to a certain degree. But, IMO, the majority of the outcomes rest on the players/personnel. In other words, Phil simply didn't have the personnel (3 hungry future hall-of-famers vs. 1 future hall-of-famer). As they are the ones executing/not executing the plays. Not Phil. After all, as this sounds like a cliche, the league is a players' league. They're the ones running and making the plays, deciding the outcome. So, no matter what type of strategy, x's and o's Phil tried to figure out, his team was simply was out-manned, out-physique and out-sized. Simply put: the Lakers, as a team, were outmatched (in every ways).
Then you add the youth of the Lakers team vs. the experience, tenacity and hunger of the Celtics players and no doubt, it is a NO-QUESTION ASKED series, which team would come out victorious.

Anyway, i think the Lakers should be proud of their accomplishments this yr. No one, not even the players on this team would have ever imagined playing in the Finals, let alone reaching the Conference Finals.
And like what everyone else have written and put in their 2 cents, it's a learning experience and something this young Lakers squad should and could take with them heading into next season's pre-season training camp-->and regular season. They should be thankful for this humbling experience.

To end, here's a wish to a HEALTHY, safe Lakers team for next season and most importantly one that will be H-U-N-G-R-Y to taste the title.

*On that note, i'm looking fw to more post-season chat in here. On what kind of players movements or available players the management is planning to recruit from the FA pool. Or maybe, the team stays relatively pat and build on the current roster. Anyway, should be an interesting one.
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: What a run..

DB, as far as I remember, I seldom posted in your "forum" before. But of course I have always been looking forward to your all the time as it meant we won the game on that day.

Thank you for your analysis. I have been tempted to post as 80th as I could never be first after you did your posting.

It's been enjoyable season. Despite the loss, Lakers are still my true champions. I think game 2 defined everything (despite we lost badly on game 4). I think if we took game 2 and then up 2-1 after 3 games, we would have not choked game 4.

I am not that bitter anyway. before the game I prayed for a fairly officiated game and let the best win it. Celtics did it. Congrats to them. But I know we'll be back stronger than ever next season with Bynum helathy and hopefully a better team. I amexpecting some offseason moves by Mitch.

I am looking forward to see the ring next season!
Enjoy the summer!
Again, thanks!
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:36 am    Post subject:

Thanks to Mrs. DB and kids, too!!!!

We appreciate your time and attention DB. You do a stellar job and deserve all the accolades you've received here. Thanks for all you do.

Terrible ending to a wonderful season. You know some trades will be going down. LO and Radman should be leaving us, but not sure who Mitch could garner.

Considering we were on the brink of imploding this year, along with injuries and what not, well - 2 wins away from a championship is wayyy more than anyone was thinking. To come so far is disappointing, but our young guys got invaluable experience playing in the finals, and next year we'll be even better.

Only 4 months 'till the regular season with the Olympics in between? I'll take it!
filipensses
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject:

Tony Almeida wrote:
Thanks DB. Your write-ups are truly legendary, and I thank you for the time you dedicate and the wonderful analysis you provide. I genuinely appreciate all the hard work you put into the Thoughts and Ratings after each and every game. I don't think I ever logoff until you post your brilliant insight on the game I just watched, win or lose, no matter how tired I may be, and they are always more than worthwhile to stay up for. Your writing is always a work of art and seemingly always hit the nail on the head with each and every player and game summary. I was really hoping the Lakers could provide you three straight wins (minus the drama) after giving us some hope in Game 3, for a less stressful write-up, it just wasn't meant to be. Thank you once again for a wonderful season of writing. Major props. (Also big time props to Mrs. DB and kids who make it possible for the rest of us to enjoy and read your T & R.)

DB for MVP!

Ditto.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: