The roster (Full Laker Roster P. 2)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject:

Interesting... I was wondering which NBA team Marcelus was going to get some run with.

A quick bit of background, I'm a UNR alum who is a season ticket holder and has followed the Wolf Pack for almost 14 years. In the past I've provided NBA scouting reports on Kirk Snyder, Nick Fazekas, Kobe Karl (Boise State, also in the WAC), Ramon Sessions and JaVale McGee.

Kemp was on the edge of being drafted, so I'm happy to see him get a shot at an NBA roster, and honestly it'll be gun to see if he can make a roster spot for the Lakers.

Quickly, most of what was posted earlier is accurate... however I would add a few details:

- Injury prone: not really, he's been fully healthy for 3 years and hasn't missed a game from injury. He might have some lingering effects from his earlier knee surgery, loss of speed and hops, but he is currently healthy.

- He's more of a scorer than a pure shooter: He knows how to score... but he's not a true shooter. He does have NBA range though. I am concerned that he might not be as effective against tall NBA bodies though since he's not tall and not super quick.

- Positives: Athletic, scorer's mentality but plays within an offense, wise from his many years of playing , Strong body, plays solid man defense, rebounds well, good bball IQ and plays well in a system, probably good tri fit

- Negatives: Not big, not tall, not quick... might not be able to bring his offense against NBA competition

Ironically, he and Kobe Karl played against each other a lot...(Kobe vs. Kemp) I think they were about even, with Kemp being a little more athletic.

I'd say at best he steals Karl's roster spot, and would see about similar minutes to what Karl had last year.

Let me know if anyone has any specific questions!
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
I was hoping for Marcellus Wallace.

Absolutely. Be a great PF.

He could revoke Mihm's LA privileges. "You gone."
CHRISTYLE70
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject:

YES.....!!!!!! This is what gets us past those pesky celtics.....
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject:

KingKobe wrote:

Come on now. Do we really need to try to confuse people?

Exactly. I thought this thread was about Matt Kemp.
Caron1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:10 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Mihm is The Gimp.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject:

I wonder who signed Jamont Gordon or Davon Jefferson
deepster3223
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject:

Who???

We Miss You Chick!!!
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Zed pwns Marcellus Wallace.

Last edited by Lakers 71-72 on Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
moonriver24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

part of SPL materials.
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

One of Shawn Kemp's kids?
Nahtanoj
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:24 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

lol thats what my mind thought of when i saw the title thread
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject:

Lakers 71-72 wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Zed's dead.
Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Lakers 71-72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject:

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
Lakers 71-72 wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Zed's dead.

True. But he had a nice chopper.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:02 am    Post subject:

Nahtanoj wrote:
One of Shawn Kemp's kids?

Already answered on the same page above your post.

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Like i'm serioulsly laughint out loud.
macwebb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:10 am    Post subject:

trmiv wrote:
2Cleva wrote:
Ironically, even though from Seattle, he's not one of Shawn's kids.

Link

Nice! That should be an audio visual emoticon!
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject:

Just curious...

Why was this thread moved?... it directly involves the Lakers!

The player is reportedly signing WITH THE LAKERS (not another team).

A mod posted in this thread yesterday and the thread stayed where it was at until today.

I love LG but sometimes it gets a little confusing figuring out where threads are and where they get moved.

My suggestion: If a topic directly involves the Lakers no matter what the topic it should remain in the lounge (especially if the topic, what ever it is, is not "rumor" or "suggestions" but reportedly factual). Topics that don't directly involve the Lakers can go where else they belong.

Oh and consistency would be a good thing it would appear there are differing views between mods.

And what I mean by consistency (besides one mod leaving the thread where it is and apparently another moving it):

Topic: "Lakers interested in James Posey, Brent Barry"

Topic: "Utah contacts Ronny to begin talks"

Topic: "Baron Davis Agrees to Terms with the Clippers"

Topic: "OFFICIAL Ron Artest Thread (Artest Regrets Not Opting Out, P. 41)"

All topics in the LOUNGE and have remained so for days and weeks....

But this topic that involves a Laker player signing which is much more related to the Lakers directly than any of the topics above is MOVED?

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...

Last edited by LA_Lakers_Rule on Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
LSM (aka LakeShowMan)
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject:

I also am a Nevada alum (what's up Pat? It's Kevin), who still lives in Reno. Marcellus can play. I was honestly pretty shocked that he wasn't drafted in the 2nd round this year. I am not sure if he can make the Lakers squad though, because we are pretty deep and the 2/3 spots.

This guy was the second best player on 2 of Nevada's tourney teams. A team that had Fazekas (Clippers PF), him, Ramon Sessions (Milwaukee PG), and even a freshman JaVale McGee (Wizards 1st rounder).

Marcellus has an NBA body, is more of a scorer than a shooter. He struggled this year as 'the man', but as complimentary guy he is very good. He is a willing defender, has NBA 3pt range, and is a good athelete. He was 1st Team All-WAC the last 2 seasons, and from my memory always outplayed Coby Karl when they played.

I hope he can somehow make the team. He is a really good player, and seems like a good guy.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject:

OK I give up... can someone tell me where was the thread moved to I looked in the "Trade and Free Agency Discussion" and maybe I missed it but I can't find this thread there or in any other topic?

Can the mod who moved it please post where topics are moved in the future (thanks) and maybe address my post above on my view about how thread topics are moved on LG so much.

I noticed a topic on "[ Poll ] Reasons why we shouldn't trade Odom.." in the "Trade and Free agency discussion" thread....

Besides the examples I gave on my prior post above I'm just curious why a "poll" that discusses why the Lakers should keep a current Laker player under contract is in a thread topic "on trade and free agency discussions" instead of the "Lounge"?

The topic is discussing a current Laker player and not suggesting a trade scenario but instead discussing the "merits of the player".

Confusing to me...

oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject:

Good summer league invite, actually one of the guys I was considering @ #58 for the Lakers(although earlier in the season). Maybe they really are looking for another young wing player(smart decision).

Quote:

The majority of Kemp’s possessions on offense come in isolation situations. This isn’t surprising since he is the team’s top scoring weapon and since he is responsible for more than a quarter of the Wolfpack’s shot attempts per game. Kemp is at his most effective here when he puts the ball on the floor and slashes to the basket. He knows how to get into the paint and does a fairly good job of breaking down defenders thanks to his good basketball instincts. His decent quickness is offset however by his ball-handling skills which need to improve. Kemp is quick enough where he could get into the lane at the next level, but his somewhat average dribbling ability often leaves him a half step too slow.

Quote:
Strengths: 2-guard with prolific offensive skills ... Excellent outside shooter with good range ... Has a scorers mentality and knows how to score in a variety of ways ... Fundamentally sound ... Solid in his midrange game with a quick release and good shooting mechanics ... Excels at catch and shoot. Also knows how to create shots for himself off the dribble. A decent athlete, though nothing outstanding ... Plays with a lot of maturity and composure, not easily rattled and steps up in clutch situations ... Excellent free throw shooter ... Solid defensively, although he doesn't pick up a lot of steals, he stays in front of his man and puts forth good effort ... Has a solid understanding of the game and plays well in a team concept ...

rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject:

All i had to read was comparison
"Von Wafer" after that i was done. Usually when a NBA comparison is made its made to a player who is an established NBA player.. You know your future in the NBA especially with the Lakers is going to be a short one when your compared to Von Wafer.
HawaiianPunch
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject:

The guy is not a scrub like some of you are thinking. The scouting report is pretty honest, he can score but not much else. Considering the NBA-level defense he'll face and that he's not a great athlete, his chances of making the team are very slim.

But anyone who follows college basketball somewhat closely knows this guy and knows he can play. He's not a no-name.
XxBaDGuYxX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject:

LA_Lakers_Rule wrote:
Just curious...

Why was this thread moved?... it directly involves the Lakers!

The player is reportedly signing WITH THE LAKERS (not another team).

A mod posted in this thread yesterday and the thread stayed where it was at until today.

I love LG but sometimes it gets a little confusing figuring out where threads are and where they get moved.

My suggestion: If a topic directly involves the Lakers no matter what the topic it should remain in the lounge (especially if the topic, what ever it is, is not "rumor" or "suggestions" but reportedly factual). Topics that don't directly involve the Lakers can go where else they belong.

Oh and consistency would be a good thing it would appear there are differing views between mods.

And what I mean by consistency (besides one mod leaving the thread where it is and apparently another moving it):

Topic: "Lakers interested in James Posey, Brent Barry"

Topic: "Utah contacts Ronny to begin talks"

Topic: "Baron Davis Agrees to Terms with the Clippers"

Topic: "OFFICIAL Ron Artest Thread (Artest Regrets Not Opting Out, P. 41)"

All topics in the LOUNGE and have remained so for days and weeks....

But this topic that involves a Laker player signing which is much more related to the Lakers directly than any of the topics above is MOVED?

You bring up a good point which i think needs to be addressed

- Kobe Bryant
patmcfar8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject:

LSM (aka LakeShowMan) wrote:
I also am a Nevada alum (what's up Pat? It's Kevin), who still lives in Reno. Marcellus can play. I was honestly pretty shocked that he wasn't drafted in the 2nd round this year. I am not sure if he can make the Lakers squad though, because we are pretty deep and the 2/3 spots.

This guy was the second best player on 2 of Nevada's tourney teams. A team that had Fazekas (Clippers PF), him, Ramon Sessions (Milwaukee PG), and even a freshman JaVale McGee (Wizards 1st rounder).

Marcellus has an NBA body, is more of a scorer than a shooter. He struggled this year as 'the man', but as complimentary guy he is very good. He is a willing defender, has NBA 3pt range, and is a good athelete. He was 1st Team All-WAC the last 2 seasons, and from my memory always outplayed Coby Karl when they played.

I hope he can somehow make the team. He is a really good player, and seems like a good guy.

What's up Kev? You still around these parts? I mean Reno, not LG.

I say Kemp could steal Coby's spot, and could be a decent 2 in the tri... but not much more than that. I think he's better than camp fodder though.

How you like Sessions now?! I was pissed at him for leaving his junior year, but after working his ass off, tearing up the D League and have a few huge games at the end of the season, I think he could end up being a starting PG for the Bucks. Especially now that Skiles is there... I think he'll like Ramon's toughness and not care that he has a small contract.

And what do you think about JaVale going early? He's got mad NBA "potential" but he would have done well with another year in college. I heard an interview with his mom comparing him to Dr. J and Moses Malone... wow, 'bout made me sick.

He has sick upside... but I'm really curious to see how he evolves in the NBA at such a young age.

Also, pretty sweet about our new D League team eh. I'm thinking about getting season tickets, but I'll wait to see how they fill out the roster first.
Lakers4Life84
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject:

i go to Utah State University (WAC) so i got to see Kemp play a lot as well. he has some potential. making the roster would be very tough, but he has the ability to raise some eyebrows i think in the summer league. he always seemed to play really well whenever i saw him play, particularly against USU. almost got conference player of the year.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Summer League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: