LAKERS -at- CLIPPERS - 10/29 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chino
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject:

Amazing game!!! I'm in love with these team!!!
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject:

CBaller8 wrote:
Vadorojo wrote:
dawglaker wrote:
i still think Ariza n kobe should start in the back court

Nah ... let him come in with the up-tempo Minute Men to run the break, frustrate their subs with defense and get easy buckets to blow open the lead.

Besides, we like Fish's 3-ball for the starting 5, and if he moved to the 2nd unit, he'd be playing to his weaknesses, not his strengths. Likewise, Vlad-Rad is there for 3's and spacing, and while he's more comfortable running than Fish, he's certainly proved himself capable in the starting SF thus far.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Melo is suspended for Saturday's game right? If so then I guess, Radman has it easy. Otherwise I would start Ariza, b/c Melo will destroy Vlad.

Actually Vlad has held his own against Melo. Melo never went off in our sweep of nuggetts in 1st rd. Ironically, for some reason Vlad cant guard Pierce. Melo >>> Pierce
StuLantz#1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject:

DB--as someone who watches games particularly close for the sake of recaps, did you get any sense of what adjustments they made on Baron? He looked to be in control early on and imposing his will, then just vanished. Was it fatigue on his part or some mid-game shift in our D? I ask because it's one of those things we'll have to repeat time and again against top teams with strong backcourt players.

I know it wasn't against one of the tougher teams in the league, but it's still nice to see us blow a team out that bad with Kobe and Gasol each having a horrendous shooting night (and they were really subtle poor shooting nights because I don't remember them being that off during the game).
PakaLOLO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject:

Thanks
tw-lakbfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject:

It feels great to see our defense actually improving.

Now let's do it to the top teams.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Yeah I'm looking forward to the Rockets and the Hornets (on a back-2-back). See how we respond to the upper echelon teams in the league.

Quote:
Bynum said he wants the Lakers to break the record for most games in a row of keeping teams under 80 points (I believe he said the record was six).

I'm glad that NBA League Pass is free till Nov. 4th. Get to watch the Denver game! Woohoo!
Doggy Dogg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

Actually Vlad has held his own against Melo. Melo never went off in our sweep of nuggetts in 1st rd. Ironically, for some reason Vlad cant guard Pierce. Melo >>> Pierce

Thats not true

Vlad has been doing well on D in the first two game. The whole team actually, and its great to watch
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:48 am    Post subject:

Thanks. I'm pleasantly surprised on our winning margins for the past 2 games.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:19 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Great game glad to see that hard nosed defense again.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:45 am    Post subject:

67ShelbyGT wrote:

Melo >>> Pierce?????????????

You can't be serious. You can just ask Kevin Garnett.

Driving ability.
3 point shooting.
passing.
clutch performance.
attitude.

All Pierce. Case Closed.
Sleepy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject:

Oddly enough, it still doesn't look to me like the starters have dialed in yet. Kobe hasn't done much. Bynum hasn't done much. Fisher's being too aggressive. Pau looks OK, and Vlad seems OK. Once those other 3 guys start playing "normally," I think we're all in for a treat.

Defensively, I think they're still allowing too many open 3-pointers.

Some may say that's nitpicky, but the Lakers also haven't played a quality opponent yet.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject:

So we had 7 players in double figures last night.

would it be possible this season to have 8?
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:
Throughout the last two years, I have repeatedly tried to remind LGers of how good Mihm can be, especially on offense. I'm happy for him that it looks like he may really be back.

If mihm is coming back, it's cause for celebration - for me at least- .
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:54 am    Post subject:

Some things that stood out to me:

Vlad’s great individual D: His team D recognition has been great as well, but I’ve been really impressed with his ability to keep 2 very athletic 3s in front of him while forcing them to shoot tough contested jumpers. Vlad definitely has backline help, but our bigs could easily get into foul trouble if Vlad let his man go by him at will, which isn’t happening. I think Outlaw and Thornton were probably a bit surprised at just how difficult it was to get around the Impaler.

Drew’s anchoring D: As DB mentioned, there’s no doubt that Bynum’s presence is felt on the defensive end every minute that he’s in the game. He is a true defensive anchor for us out there, and it was good to see his rebounding pick up as well. I’d still like to see him get back to owning the defensive glass, which I know will come eventually.

Fish’s shot selection: Fish had a solid offensive game, but I think the key for him is to take good shots. With the way the Lakers run their offense, he’s going to get plenty of good looks every game, and I have no problem with him shooting 10+ shots per game if he’s open. However, he needs to ease up when it comes to forcing Js in transition or driving recklessly into the lane.

Ariza’s offensive poise: We all know about his great team D and his developing man D, but I’m really impressed with the confidence that Trevor is showing on the offensive end. He looks very fluid offensively and has absolutely no problem pulling the trigger on good looks from the perimeter. He’s just branching out into a well-rounded offensive player.

Farmar’s overall game: I see improvement all-around with Jordan’s game. The shot selection and passing are much better, but I also like the fact that he’s proving himself to be an excellent rebounder at the PG position.
jbjb
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Can you guys imagine this being your season opener? Lose by nearly 40. Having fans cheering for the other team? Toughest job in the NBA must be in Clipper marketing.

Heisler:
Quote:
It's nice to report the Clippers crowd was forgiving. No matter how bad things got for the "home team," the fans never booed.

They were too busy chanting "Let's go, Lakers!" and when Bryant shot free throws, "MVP!"

Link

In the past Clippers markeing handled their problem by simply promoting the other team's stars coming to town--ignoring their own team. Marketing genius at its best!

I don't wonder why Elton Brand left; I wonder why he stayed so long.
LA1969
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:

osj wrote:
Throughout the last two years, I have repeatedly tried to remind LGers of how good Mihm can be, especially on offense. I'm happy for him that it looks like he may really be back.

I couldn't agree more. I always liked Mihm, and felt so bad about his injury. I hope he can stay healthy and continue to help the team.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject:

I'm happy for Mihm.

In his third year under Phil Jackson, Vlad looks like the lightbulb may have finally turned on. He defended Al Thornton man-to-man as well as you could expect someone to.

It's great to see.

I hope they can keep it up.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject:

R E M A I N H E A L T H Y ! ! ! ! ! I have always been a big proponent of Defense and I love what I am seeing so far!!!!

resgraph27
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
resgraph27 wrote:

Lamar seemed loose... REAL loose. Too loose? He's havin' fun. That passing between him and Powell had me crackin' up! (Showing my rookie stripes here; what does it mean when you say he's "plus 20"?)

Check the link to my buddy PopcornMachine's site at the end of the post. The graphic there does the best job to show the +/- rating and flow of the game. The +20 means when the player was on the floor the team outscored the opponent by 20 points. Sometimes a player can play so well, or so bad, that the +/- will reflect it. Quite often, however, you have to take other things into consideration with this stat.

Lamar's +/- number might be interesting to watch this year because he's splitting time between the starting unit and second unit.

Thanks, DB. Much appreciated. This new edumacation in understanding this stat will no doubt give me yet one more way to appreciate, and LOVE, my Lakers!!! YEAH baby!
japanesebeef1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:

All is right with the world. The Lakers played . . . DB commented.

I am happy.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:

You know the Lakers are dominating when you start feeling sorry for the other team. There were several stretches when the Lakers (mostly the second team) made the Clips look like a rec league team. Swarming D, quickness, sinking shots -- it was embarassing for the Clips. Not that that is a bad thing for us Lakers fans because it shows that the Lakers are serious and focused and can simply overwhelm teams. They aren't going to let teams off even in garbage time.
lakefan24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject:

I am loving the review. Great to see everyone playing good.
TheBigRuski
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject:

May it become “the perfect storm” this spring!

Those interested in digging the blog version of this post, may do so at:

http://digg.com/basketball/Lakers_The_Storm_is_Here
king255
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject:

Here's my opinion about the new scheme. It works best when the guy we're zoning is a weak passer. It works best when the other team's PF can't shoot the 3. Actually, as we saw against San Antonio, it can work as long as the other team has at least one guy, other than the center, who can't shoot the 3.

Someone said that we went back to man-to-man in the 3rd quarter(though I think it started from the 2nd quarter), which I thought was a good idea. You have to be able to adjust on the fly, and if we're going to try to break these insane records, we'll need Phil to do a lot of that. In other words, he needs to be perfect or near-perfect.
Prometheus8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject:

I'm very impressed by the way the team is playing as a unit defensively, especially with the help the big men are giving to the perimeter guys. Everyone is really buying into the new defensive schemes. This could be a very special year.

Mihm actually looks like he's recovered from his terrible injury. That is so great to see. Hope he has good luck with his health from now on.

Finally, it's almost like we have a first unit out for the entire game (except for the final minutes of blowouts). The other team can never relax.

"...one of the most valuable players in the league…"– Phil Jackson about Ron Artest in 2005
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: