LAKERS -at- MAVS - 11/11 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject:

Can't believe I missed this game. Sounded awesome. Thanks DB.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject:

Mation wrote:
Thanks DB!

The Mavericks really competed and laid all their effort out on the court tonight. These wins come in handy for further growth and experience as a team. Ariza misses the baseline three late in the fourth. That's okay, he comes in with the huge Stackhouse block. You can't create those in-game situations in practice. Always down for more development of our second unit in crunch time moments.

Pau does a great job using his length defensively. I remember last season when he arched his hand and blocked the three attempt by Dirk in OT or double OT. Wouldn't want to see a two-man defensive switch like Odom and Gasol if I were Dirk.

Looks like our transition defense is one of our weaknesses right now. Only with the first unit though. I'm sure we'll shape that up as the season progresses.

Loved the back-2-back emotional plays by Odom and Ariza. First Odom gets the and-1 layup. Then Ariza comes down with the theft and slam! Whooo!
The second team is so much more fun to watch, I can't wait for them to come in because I know something exciting is going to happen.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
LongtimeLakerLover
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject:

Love Love LOVE Pau as our PF. He is killin' it. He looks so much more active on the boards, it suits his shot range - he's freakin' amazing. I love our activity on put backs too. I would have liked to see more offensive rebounding, but hopefully that'll change when we play NOH tonight. And the Ghost - WOW. I love it. Jordan's been killin' it too. Not as great this game, but that steal on JKidd and the layup? Beautiful.

Ugly W, but I'll take it.

Say it with me: CHAMPIONSHIP
element1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject:

Loving it!!! This is truly the Era of The Great Lakes!
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:

great work, DB

imo Phil went with Luke because there was too much iso and not enough tri being run on offense at that point--the O was looking ragged.

and giving up all that penetration doesn't help on the defensive glass, either.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject:

Winning with Stealth-mode. Ariza was fantastic and has been fantastic ever since training camp began. The 2 4Q blocks, one credited, one not, were amazing.

IMO, the turning point was Farmar's steal against Kidd. Sweet, heads up play picking the pocket of a future HOFer. The D really started to clamp down after that point.

Kobe and Pau - you'd expect them to be the steady rocks on the team. The 2nd unit has become the difference makers.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject:

I'll tell you one thing I am noticing...

These Lakers aren't backing down. I think many of us figured that after the Boston drubbing, every team would try to rough up the Lakers, especially Pau, but you've seen Pau get in people's faces, hit back, stare down. He may be slight of build, but he ain't soft.

And along those lines, the Lakers have been showing a ton of emotion and intensity. Odom and Ariza really pumped the guys up, and Kobe took it upon himself to remind Gerald Green of his place in the grand scheme of things.

SO far the Lakers haven't let themselves get punked and I love it.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject:

LongtimeLakerLover wrote:
Love Love LOVE Pau as our PF. He is killin' it. He looks so much more active on the boards, it suits his shot range - he's freakin' amazing. I love our activity on put backs too. I would have liked to see more offensive rebounding, but hopefully that'll change when we play NOH tonight. And the Ghost - WOW. I love it. Jordan's been killin' it too. Not as great this game, but that steal on JKidd and the layup? Beautiful.

Ugly W, but I'll take it.

Say it with me: CHAMPIONSHIP

What I love is how Pau gets down the floor on the Lakers' fast breaks. Amazing for a 7-footer!!!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:32 am    Post subject:

Great recap DB.
Trevor was the accelerate tonight. Last game it was Jordan. Game before Lamar. Game before that Vladimir. Seems in each contest the Lakers start slow and someone from the Bench Mob gives a shot of adrenaline to the unit on the floor. In all games the Mamba has waited to strike and has, so far, done it at the right moment. Tonight's a back to back. I think the team will surprise some by getting off to a fast start for a change. Our depth will carry us through. I'm not going to second guess Phil's reasons for playing Luke, I'm sure he has one. I believe, for some reason, he's attempting to get Luke to find his game. If he doesn't find it he's going to get "Great three minutes tonight" from Jordan.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:

pask wrote:
Disagree about Bynum rebounding. Most of Dampier´s offensive rebounds came with Andrew out. It was with Gasol and Odom in the game that we most failed to secure our own board.

He had 3 on that one possession the moment Phil took Andrew out.
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject:

That substitution for Luke was just weird. He's what on the depth chart right now? 10th, maybe 11th, depending on if Powell should go in there?

That's pretty far down. Who could have imagined Luke going from where he was a few years ago to being one of the last guys to get off the bench for a game? But what happens? He got subbed in real quick. What's the deal? Were we trying to "showcase" him so that people can see that he is just pathetic?
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject:

we obviously lose this game without Ariza and his +16. which begs the question why did vlad start the 3rd on GG and then when he struggled, Phil put Luke on him. we need to get off to an early start against the hornets because if we dig too big of a hole early, we wont come back IMO.
king255
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject:

DB, you say the game turned around when Vlad/Luke was done. I'd say that was only half of it. The other half was that Fisher was also done. You're not being objective when you say Vlad should be yanked as soon as he plays bad, and don't say the same about Fisher. Right now, Fisher is the guy playing the most undeserved minutes. Sasha shouldn't have to fight with Ariza for minutes. He should be fighting with Fish.

Fisher has a whopping 8 EFF for the season, anytime you're under 12 playing around 30 min, you're already pretty bad. Needless to say, that number is pitiful.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject:

trevor trevor trevor
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:

king255 wrote:
DB, you say the game turned around when Vlad/Luke was done. I'd say that was only half of it. The other half was that Fisher was also done. You're not being objective when you say Vlad should be yanked as soon as he plays bad, and don't say the same about Fisher. Right now, Fisher is the guy playing the most undeserved minutes. Sasha shouldn't have to fight with Ariza for minutes. He should be fighting with Fish.

Fish played a horrible game. But you miss the point about Vlad. Behind Fish we have one guy -- Farmar. Behind Vlad we have Ariza, Lamar, Kobe, Luke. If Vlad is stinking it up you have a number of options to go to get 40 minutes of SF play. If Fish is stinking, you don't have that luxury.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:
pask wrote:
Disagree about Bynum rebounding. Most of Dampier´s offensive rebounds came with Andrew out. It was with Gasol and Odom in the game that we most failed to secure our own board.

Dampier clearly manhandled Bynum tonight. He made an effort to be phsyical with him and push him around. Andrew was flat footed, stood too tall, showed no elevation and poor footwork when crowded. It's a testament to his hard work and talent he put up the #'s he did tonight. I'm not complaining or ragging, just pointing out the obvious. If he is going to dominate as he is capable of doing, he will have to improve in the areas. He did do a great job of staying out of foul trouble.

Certainly there were rebounds by Dampier over others, but as stated above there were several against Drew. Dampier knows how to get away with pushes and shoves to dislodge Bynum, who isn't ready for it. He's done this for three straight years. I always watch this match up because it's a measuring stick for Bynum since Dampier plays him well in this regard. Drew wasn't ready for it, again.
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB... I wish the game was on TV... great to hear the team is still rollin'. Here's to it continuing tonight!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: