LAKERS -at- PACERS - 12/2 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject:

Thanks as always, DB. That was a very frustrating game to watch. I haven't been that mad after a game in a long time. I was really mad for a while last night. They absolutely deserved to lose that game. It's fitting that even with all of our length, we couldn't grab a defensive board at the end with the game in the balance. We gave up way too many offensive boards last night and we played very lethargically. We just figured that we would step on the floor and win. That type of mentality will result in many more losses, especially on the road. I also don't want them to talk about defense. They're not an elite defensive team and they don't bring it on that end for a full forty-eight minutes. Have them put in a tape of the Celtics and watch them defend on a nightly basis. They put the effort on that end of the floor. We figure that we can just outscore our opponents. I thought that we had learned our lesson. We haven't. I also can't believe how many free throws we missed last night. You don't deserve to win when you miss 15 free throws. That's just pathetic. I know that we're not going to win every game this season. What infuriated me was how we lost. We went through the motions and played down to the level of our opponent. We were outhustled and we didn't do any of the little things that you need to do to get a win. That type of mentality will result in more losses and I honestly don't see that changing. I'm very discouraged by what I'm seeing on the floor from us, especially defensively. They need to remember that actions speak louder than words.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.

Good loss.

The Laker first unit continues to look flat, almost as if bored that the game has to run 48 minutes. They put in minimal effort on defense, and frequetnly look more interested in individual scoring rather than team play. It is ugly to watch, but they get away with it. Just the sheer talent coupled with the drive to the second unit is enough to win over 80% of the games with mediocre teams.

What makes this a good loss? They play the Celts in 3 weeks. The Lakers and Laker fans assert that what makes this team different is that they are no longer soft; they play defense, and they have Andrew Bynum. If the first unit cannot play cohesively and with purpose, they'll get their posteriors handed to them by the Celts. That would be a potential devastating loss, given how they wish to shed the "soft" label. It is best that the first unit take its lumps now, and renew themselves with a sense of purpose.
VujacicFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject:

I have to agree with you once again DB. Sasha thrives in the fourth and always comes up big and it's a shame he didn't get any minutes when the game was on the line.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
I said it early in the season, barring injuries, the only thing that will derail this team is complacency. Tonite was a perfect example of what an arrogant attitude without the concomittant effort looks like: a bunch of guys interested only in scoring who seems surpsied when the other team just won't fold before they might and splendor. Yeah, the ball took some funny bounces, but i also saw a lot of guys going through the motions on D. And if you box out, you should always be first to the ball, funny bounce or not.

On a deeper level, PJ's philosophy of not getting too high or too low during the regular season (so as not to burn-out before the play-offs) almost guarantees games like this. STill, it's disturbing to see the team play with so little heart and effort. As a fan, it shows that all that talk of becomeing a great team who will win via tgheir defense was just so much hot air -- this season' marketing hook. But I've only seen flashes of great D from this team. Unfortunately, that won't win anything.

We've seen Kobe dominate on D (e.g., the Olympics), so I think he has major questions to answer to the team and to himself about why he's dogging it and coasting so much on D this year. Because i think the others follow his lead.

When Ariza is the laker out on the floor who stands head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of effort on the defensive side of the ball, the putative leadership (Kobe and Fish) has a lot to answer for. But, in fact, the entire backcourt seems more interested in getting their shots and looking pretty than they are in locking someone down. they weren't the sole cause for tonite's loss 9the FC couldn't grab a measly rebound, either0, but they are the QB's of this team, and they coughed up a hairball tonite by their nonchalance (Kobe, farmar) and simple lackl of ability 9Fish).

SGH
Amen.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
UntiedShoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject:

That was a hard one to swallow on so many levels but it is a microcosm of what will happen throughout the year.

Our defense is overrated. Way overrated. There are two players on our team who can play and are committed to playing defense. Ariza and Kobe. The rest of the guys have never been that good at it or have never been committed to playing it. Fisher can handle slower guards, but he has never defended the pick n roll/pop well.

Farmar, is just plain awful at it. When the PGs are bringing the ball up he'll be looking behind him to see when the pick is coming and then he'll proceed to stick to it like he's meant to switch every time.

Gasol, has always had the rap of being soft and I don't think he minds. Odom has spurts where he plays decent D and hustles, but there just aren't enough of them.

Our big guys are still finding themselves playing together, or so I hope. It's a sin when you have two 7 footers on the floor to give up 19 offensive rebounds. 19!

Bynum I hope is pacing himself as he gets stronger coming back from the injury because I just don't see a lot of fire in him. Will he ever be the defensive and offensive beast we're all hoping for? Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it..
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject:

I really don't like the way our starting unit plays. They give up nearly 30 pts. every 1st quarter so they aren't defending, and they have no rhythm offensively. Ugly to watch. Kobe and Fish were playing keep away from the bigs again tonight. You had Lamar on the block with Daniels guarding him and Kobe just pounding the ball and pounding the ball then LO switches with Pau and Pau has Daniels on him in the post and what does Kobe do? Throw it cross court to Fish for a bricked three pointer. Sad. We would have won had we hit our freethrows, but I wouldn't have been happy with a win the way we played tonight. These guys need to wake the hell up.

Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject:

UntiedShoe wrote:
That was a hard one to swallow on so many levels but it is a microcosm of what will happen throughout the year.

Our defense is overrated. Way overrated. There are two players on our team who can play and are committed to playing defense. Ariza and Kobe. The rest of the guys have never been that good at it or have never been committed to playing it. Fisher can handle slower guards, but he has never defended the pick n roll/pop well.

Farmar, is just plain awful at it. When the PGs are bringing the ball up he'll be looking behind him to see when the pick is coming and then he'll proceed to stick to it like he's meant to switch every time.

Gasol, has always had the rap of being soft and I don't think he minds. Odom has spurts where he plays decent D and hustles, but there just aren't enough of them.

Our big guys are still finding themselves playing together, or so I hope. It's a sin when you have two 7 footers on the floor to give up 19 offensive rebounds. 19!

Bynum I hope is pacing himself as he gets stronger coming back from the injury because I just don't see a lot of fire in him. Will he ever be the defensive and offensive beast we're all hoping for? Hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it..
Kobe committed to defense after watching the game last night? His man scored 32 points. He would literally just stand and watch guys shoot three pointers without even attempting to rotate or close out. He was gambling badly for steals. He was horrible defensively last night. Please. Committed to defense my ass.

Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject:

UntiedShoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
Kobe committed to defense after watching the game last night? His man scored 32 points. He would literally just stand and watch guys shoot three pointers without even attempting to rotate or close out. He was gambling badly for steals. He was horrible defensively last night. Please. Committed to defense my ass.

That was one really bad game he had, or are you going to go on record as saying Kobe doesn't play D ?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:

Tough game.

Marathon season, we'll see nights like these.

The Lakers defense has two weaknesses that have been consistent throughout the season.

1- PG with elite speed.
2- Shooters that can spread out the floor, especially at the power spots.

This is basically what Detroit had with Iverson + Rasheed.
This is basically what Indiana had with Ford + Murphy/Nesterovic (although Rasha is not a 3 point shooter, he draw Bynum away from the paint).

LA had no idea what to do from the start. Other than that 5 minute stretch where Ariza and the 2nd unit just clamped down extremely well, they had no idea how to play the Pacers speed + spaced out offensive attack.

Excellent loss to expose the Lakers defense. They (players and Phil) need to take a look at what lineups and type of defensive system they want to play when playing teams like that.

Bynum + Gasol are not cut out to play teams with this sort of game plan, you have to make an adjustment on both ends. If the Lakers slowed down the game, that would help them greatly when they have the two 7 footers. It allows them time to get back on D and get in position. Instead I saw Fish, Kobe and others push the ball up and play a pick up style game.

It's a loss that I hope helps this team realize that they still have things to do before they are at Boston's level. The biggest thing I hope is that Phil realizes the starters are not good enough and he adjusts the way they operate out there. They have to slow down the starters, and make them a halfcourt power team. Recall how this team used to play with Shaq. That is how they have to play when Bynum and Gasol out there together. Simply because your biggest strength is your power and size adavantage at that point. Your biggest weakness is transition D and speed situations. What LA's starting 5 has been dong throughout the season is trying to match speed with speed. That was last year's team. This year's team has to be more powerful and deliberate.

They have 66 games to figure that (bleep) out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TerryTeagle
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject:

It comes down to this:

Lakers have trouble with teams that have bigs that play away from the basket:

Rasheed Wallace - Detroit
Kevin Garnett - Boston
Troy Murphy - Pacers

It completely messes up the defensive sets the Lakers have. The fact that Phil and his staff STILL have not come up with a counter is mind-boggling...
Magic'sSon
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
This was a painful loss and a game we should have won, no doubt. But in the back of all your minds, you knew that another loss was inevitable. It was going to happen sometime. Every good team has bad games once in a while.

I'm going to try to look at the bright side. Hopefully this loss will teach the Lakers a lesson. Hopefully it will teach them that they can't continue to rely on their 2nd half defense to make up for their poor 1st half defense and that they can't count on breaking the game open in the 3rd quarter after a lousy offensive showing in the opening period. That's been the story ever since the 8th or 9th game of the season. Crappy 1st quarter offense and 1st half defense and then they have a really good third period both offensively and defensively and break the game open, and then in the 4th they slack again but hang on. Well, this time it didn't happen. They played like they expected it to happen since that had always been the case prior.

Despite the poor effort by the Lakers, give the Pacers credit. They are not as bad as their 7-10 record might lead you to believe. Danny Granger reminded us all why he's a stud. T.J. Ford is one of the better PGs in the game and his quickness was just too much for old man Fish. This team embarrassed the defending champs on their home court earlier in the season and they came out hard and weren't intimidated by the Western Conference juggernaut that is the Lakers. And remember, the Pacers did all of this without one of their best players, Mike Dunleavy Jr., who averaged nearly 20 PPG last season.

I give this posts *2 thumbs up*
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject:

^^
It wasn't Murphy alone, it was actually Murphy and Nesterovic both who were spotting up open looks all game long. Murphy hurt the Lakers more with his rebounding. He would keep sneaking in from the 3 point line after a shot would go up and get into the open positions of the zone.

Murphy was at the 3 point line or out around there and Nesterovic was getting open look after open look at the highpost/elbow area, because Bynum was trying to anchor or help out elsewhere.

Those things and their early shots killed the Lakers D. Lakers weren't able to set up or ever really consistently challenge their shots.

Give Pacers/O'Brein credit, they played the exact gameplan that gives the Lakers trouble.

Also this is a great example of why I'm happy D'Antoni and Marion are no longer in Pheonix. While LA would still be better than them IMO, the old Suns were the exact type of team that would give the bigger Lakers some fits this year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:
UntiedShoe wrote:

Watch the game the next time. Kobe was rarely on Granger. And when he shoots 12-28 it's usually hater galore. Sadly not a single player outside of maybe Ariza played defense yesterday.

(that's not to say he played good defense because he didn't, but don't pin something on him that he didn't do)
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:

This game reminds me of a loss a few years ago to the Wizards. I think Jerry Stackhouse or Larry Hughes was out a the three point line, Kobe and Devean George collided into each other and the Wizards won with a layup...at the buzzer

Sports. Ya gotta love it.

Anyhow, I kinda figured a loss was coming on this roadtrip. I thought it would be Philly with E.Brand and Andre, but I forgot TJ Ford was on the Pacers, one of the fastest mofo's in this league, which spells trouble for our PGs

Well, back to hearing 20 reasons why the lakers suck, on the lakers basketball network.

!...
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject:

Team has two big holes at the 1 and 3. First unit struggles because of those holes.

It is nice to have a exciting second unit but those holes in the starting unit need to be plugged.

Playoffs roll around, rotations tighten, teams play their starters more minutes.....who exactly will Phil have on the floor?

Odom and Gasol will ultimately fail. This is not news to anyone.

Vlad cannot guard his own shadow. Again something every average joe knows.

So what is our closing lineup Phil?

Pierce torching Vlad, Perkins bullying Pau around, KG zoning off of Lamar. What is our solution to that? I have yet to see a answer from Phil.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject:

It may have been an omen that my DVR cut out at 6:30 sparing me from watching the last 3 possessions. Up until that point, however, the Lakers played too fancy free. Offensively, it seemed like they were all trying to make highlight plays. Defensively, it looked like they were all trying to watch highlight plays.

Indy got the benefit of some long bounces especially in the 4th. They were quicker to chase down the ball. They got 99 shots at the goal because of all the 2nd and 3rd chances.

The Lakers offense really bogged down in the 4th. Certainly those TO's by the 2nd unit were lazy and horrible, but what's the 1st unit's reason? Indy got us out of the tri or maybe we simply abandoned it. Either way it wasn't pretty.

The D was truly porous. The worst D game of the year. Aside from Ariza, I don't think anyone bothered to defend. We seemed to be scrambling on every set.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject:

I'm glad the Lakers lost.

I was starting to see some bad habits develop, and an L is the quickest way to stop them.

Oh well. Only 5.5 more hours until the next game.
mefor3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject:

almost smashed the TV
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject:

Arizona wrote:

Daniels scored 32pts???? why does the boxscore show that he only scored 16 pts on 4-15 shooting?
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject:

I said it early in the season, barring injuries, the only thing that will derail this team is complacency. Tonite was a perfect example of what an arrogant attitude without the concomittant effort looks like: a bunch of guys interested only in scoring who seems surpsied when the other team just won't fold before they might and splendor. Yeah, the ball took some funny bounces, but i also saw a lot of guys going through the motions on D. And if you box out, you should always be first to the ball, funny bounce or not.

On a deeper level, PJ's philosophy of not getting too high or too low during the regular season (so as not to burn-out before the play-offs) almost guarantees games like this. STill, it's disturbing to see the team play with so little heart and effort. As a fan, it shows that all that talk of becomeing a great team who will win via tgheir defense was just so much hot air -- this season' marketing hook. But I've only seen flashes of great D from this team. Unfortunately, that won't win anything.

We've seen Kobe dominate on D (e.g., the Olympics), so I think he has major questions to answer to the team and to himself about why he's dogging it and coasting so much on D this year. Because i think the others follow his lead.

When Ariza is the laker out on the floor who stands head and shoulders above everyone else in terms of effort on the defensive side of the ball, the putative leadership (Kobe and Fish) has a lot to answer for. But, in fact, the entire backcourt seems more interested in getting their shots and looking pretty than they are in locking someone down. they weren't the sole cause for tonite's loss 9the FC couldn't grab a measly rebound, either0, but they are the QB's of this team, and they coughed up a hairball tonite by their nonchalance (Kobe, farmar) and simple lackl of ability 9Fish).

SGH

Nesterovic and Murphy score 16 pts apiece on 8-13 and 7-12 shooting respectively. They grabbed a combined 27 rebs, outrebounding our bigs by 7.

Considering we lost the game by a tip-in and couldn't get any rebounds in the last 5 mins of the game, it's safe to say the bigs were more responsible for the loss if we have to play the blame game.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject:

Amara D'Antona wrote:
I suppose all we can hope for now is for L.A. to learn from its mistakes. I'm having a hard time believing this team is actually dedicated to defense as they keep saying they are. I really hope they can bring a consistent effort every night like they did for the first seven games. It kinda worries me that Lakers seem to need a wake-up call to keep themselves focused...it's quite perturbing, actually.

Well said! They talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

It is mental, they are loosing focus. I would think that beating at the hands of the celts last season would prevent this from happening. What more motivation do you need?
KingKobe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Kobe scored his 22,000 point with 2.2 seconds remaining in the 2nd quarter on 12/2 in the lakers 2nd loss.

BTW, that game sucked.

"We're all surrounded by idiots." - Kobe Bryant
UntiedShoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Amara D'Antona wrote:
I suppose all we can hope for now is for L.A. to learn from its mistakes. I'm having a hard time believing this team is actually dedicated to defense as they keep saying they are. I really hope they can bring a consistent effort every night like they did for the first seven games. It kinda worries me that Lakers seem to need a wake-up call to keep themselves focused...it's quite perturbing, actually.

Well said! They talk the talk but do not walk the walk.

It is mental, they are loosing focus. I would think that beating at the hands of the celts last season would prevent this from happening. What more motivation do you need?

They don't have the personnel to walk the walk. You just don't turn a switch on and become a good defensive player. It's part ability and part attitude. I don't think for a minute that guys who have never been known to play D will and want to all of a sudden. Vlad, Gasol, Odom, Farmar, Sasha are not what I would call "tough" defenders.
king255
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject:

SGH

Kobe played great D in the Olympics because coach K actually put him on the opposing team's best scorer. As I've stated repeatedly before, man defense has impact only if you're actually guarding the other team's best scorer.

Honestly, I'm so sick and tired of Fisher getting beat, and with Phil stubbornly refusing to take him out of the lineup, I would just put Kobe on the opposing team's point guard(or whoever the best player that night is) every night. That, IMO, would be the most efficient way to use his energy, since we don't really need him to take over in the 4th as much now. One concern though, is that trying to fight through all those picks could lead to a higher occurence of injury.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: