PACERS -at- LAKERS - 1/9 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:
Crazy, crazy game. Does anyone else feel the Association is sending a message to Kobe that he's not LeBron with the lack of calls he gets when driving to the hoop? I'm not saying he's getting hacked all the time, but he is getting hit a lot and right now the refs have swalloed their whistles. May be Stu is right in saying they get caught up and mesmorized by watching Kobe too and forget to call the game. The rest of our team seems to get officated pretty fairly most of the time so it's odd.

I haven't seen any other Boston or Cleveland games from the time we played Boston but it seems quite possible Boston's fall is due to a tectonic conscious shift of officiating favoritism from Boston to Cleveland.

What with the love affair the media/nba has with their poster frankenstein creation named LBJ of the Cavs, James winning that MVP and a championship would fit David Stalin Stern's business model all too perfectly.

That's not to take away from Lebron's strong play, but I suspect no one can touch him, literally. did anyone notice he guarded Paul Pierce and only had two fouls? Are you kidding me? We couldn't breath Paul's airspace in the Finals without the sound of a whistle.

Nothing else makes sense as to why all of a sudden Boston has fallen, I mean as far as I know their fall is not due to injuries. It's too early in the season for them hitting the wall because they lost two great bench players.
Sage_10
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject:

Not loving this lack of defensive presence in the high post.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:

Does anyone think that if the Staples crowd starts the "We Want Tacos" chant in the 2nd/3rd quarters that the team would get the hint and start playing some sort of defense (other than the matador defense, that is)?

My biggest peeve was Phil subbing in Vlad for Bynum for defensive purposes instead of putting Ariza in. This was right before Dunleavy drains a wide open 3 to tie the game. What's Phil's thinking there? Vlad, who was backdoored relentlessly, for defense? Really?

Indy's not too smart leaving Jack on the island with Kobe. Maybe their coach had the same brain lock as Phil. The same brain lock that Foster had at the end of the game. Pretty dumb game all around, but, at least, we have Kobe and he was the difference.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject:

ariza was fouled out of the game man.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Can we just refer to this emoticon from now on as "The Vlad?"
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
ariza was fouled out of the game man.

Oops, my bad. Powell would've been a better choice than Vlad.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject:

Klone_dd wrote:
Does anyone think that if the Staples crowd starts the "We Want Tacos" chant in the 2nd/3rd quarters that the team would get the hint and start playing some sort of defense (other than the matador defense, that is)?

My biggest peeve was Phil subbing in Vlad for Bynum for defensive purposes instead of putting Ariza in. This was right before Dunleavy drains a wide open 3 to tie the game. What's Phil's thinking there? Vlad, who was backdoored relentlessly, for defense? Really?

Indy's not too smart leaving Jack on the island with Kobe. Maybe their coach had the same brain lock as Phil. The same brain lock that Foster had at the end of the game. Pretty dumb game all around, but, at least, we have Kobe and he was the difference.

Not that this makes up for his porous 'grand opening' defense earlier, but Vlad came up with a steal off a back door cut at the end of the game. That led to a score by he Lakers.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
Phreaker47
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Addicus wrote:
Crazy, crazy game. Does anyone else feel the Association is sending a message to Kobe that he's not LeBron with the lack of calls he gets when driving to the hoop? I'm not saying he's getting hacked all the time, but he is getting hit a lot and right now the refs have swalloed their whistles. May be Stu is right in saying they get caught up and mesmorized by watching Kobe too and forget to call the game. The rest of our team seems to get officated pretty fairly most of the time so it's odd.

I haven't seen any other Boston or Cleveland games from the time we played Boston but it seems quite possible Boston's fall is due to a tectonic conscious shift of officiating favoritism from Boston to Cleveland.

What with the love affair the media/nba has with their poster frankenstein creation named LBJ of the Cavs, James winning that MVP and a championship would fit David Stalin Stern's business model all too perfectly.

That's not to take away from Lebron's strong play, but I suspect no one can touch him, literally. did anyone notice he guarded Paul Pierce and only had two fouls? Are you kidding me? We couldn't breath Paul's airspace in the Finals without the sound of a whistle.

Nothing else makes sense as to why all of a sudden Boston has fallen, I mean as far as I know their fall is not due to injuries. It's too early in the season for them hitting the wall because they lost two great bench players.

I still don't buy the corruption theories in general. At least, I am seriously skeptical and not ready to call it just based on a seemingly inexplicable losing streak.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Julius1 wrote:
DancingBarry . . . .
THAT my friend would require a coach who ACTUALLY
a) knows what he is doing on defense
b) has a system that can change from time to time depending on the matchup
c) knows how to TEACH a defense what to do
d) making players accountable when they don't do those things

Ask yourself THIS question DB, how good would our defense be under Gregg Popovich and how much would we lose on our offense considering that Pop isn't a terrible offensive coach AND we still have Kobe, Pau, Bynum and Odom and when you figure it out and want to join me by putting a bullet to your head, you'll understand just why and how much I hate Phil Jackson.

I have never loathed a coach more in my life in any of the 4 major professional sports. HIs penchant to create conflict amongst his stars. His demeaning of players. His double standards for certain players and above all, his absolutley PATHETIC approach to all things defense whether its scheme, subs, lineups, whatever.
As John Wooden stated "the players lost the game." Since PJ is a "Practice Coach" - this makes sense, plus there is only one conclusion when The Machine and Vlad are covering one person.

It is funny you assume that if one have star players that they will automatically what to do on offense. If that was the case, Del Harris would still be the coach for the Lakers when he had Shaq and Kobe - the same team that PJ took to three rings. Pop is a good coach, but would his style work with Dr. Buss and the Laker fans - I don't think so.

PJ with the Bulls who actually followed the game plan showed what could happen. It is hard to imagine that someone brought up with Red Holtman/N.Y. Knicks not know defense and team play. It would be interesting to note what your thoughts are on how Riles treated the Lakers, Larry Brown treats his players on his countless teams, etc.

Question for DB
"They keep us away from the strengths of our defensive group," Phil said of the Pacers. "Their offense is geared to put pressure through high-post ball and running screen-rolls and actions at the middle of the court."
Sound familiar? This is a specific area of weakness that teams like the Kings have exposed again and again. Bigmen who can shoot and play in the high post. Attacks off screen-rolls from the top of the key. And, if the Lakers overplay their men, look out for the backdoors with no one down low to protect the paint.
+++
Recognizing this constant problem, wouldn't a type of "match-up" zone (variation on what Rambis is presently doing) prevent penetration - though it would leave the corners free? This type of defense probably would work better with Sasha and "Cobra" in the lineup with LO, Kobe and Pau/Bynum.
IPK
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: PACERS -at- LAKERS - 1/9 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

DancingBarry wrote:
You see skidmarks, an upside down sport car, white and yellow with tinted windows and a "PACERS" plate. A piece of purple and gold paper pokes out from the tailpipe. Deja vu. As you grab it, you also pull out your phone waiting for the call. Like clockwork, it rings, and it's her. This time, you speak first. "I met a man who mentioned something about The Association?" you say. "What is it? Who are they?"

"The Association?" She sounds nervous. "You might as well ask what the Illuminati is or who the Bonesmen are or what the DHARMA Initiative really is. The Association? They're the puppetmasters of the puppetmasters. I'm telling you now, don't go poking your nose in their business. Don't go looking for answers they don't want you to hear."

"I don't understand," you say as you walk from the wreckage. "What's their role in all this?"

This is like a twisted-L.A.-LAKERS-sci-fi-THRILLER.......minus the Michael Jackson....and the "ranch".

Props. DB!
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject:

props to sasha for his ball denial of dunleavy and props to foster for being brain dead
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:

PJ with the Bulls who actually followed the game plan showed what could happen.

Just wanted to point out the rules were different back then, and none of Phil's teams since the rules changed have shown that kind of defensive execution. That Bulls team was allowed hand checking and significantly more contact.

Last year Boston played great defense but basically bullied their way with little or no consequences from the refs.

I remember a Fox Sports sideline interview with Rick Fox last year(I think) where they asked him how well he thought he'd be able to play in the game today and he said with the way the rules are now he'd a fouled out in the first 5 minutes, and he laughed. He said he wouldn't have a chance to play like he did before, what with the no hand checking, no touch rules.

It's so easy to forget those days, those were the good days in the NBA before Stern screwed up the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: