LAKERS -at- ROCKETS - 1/13 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandruska
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:04 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!!! Good job.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject:

i wasnt happy with pau's game last night. he settled for too many jumpers and when guards penetrated he didnt leave his feet or get a hand up.

props to L.O. welcome back

great hustle from ariza stealing the jump ball

2 game d-fish layup streak

kobe's dagger over battier
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap. LO was smok'n, he looked like an all-star out there.

About the rebounds, our team had 9 offensive and 25 defensive while Houston had 9 offensive and 30 defensive. That accounts for all the available rebounds. That means that both teams failed to get 9 rebounds on the defensive end. Now, the average number of Defensive rebounds we fail to get per year is 11.7. So, in this game we actually took better care of the defensive glass by 2.7 rebounds.

Houston shot 53% to our 50%. That accounted for their additional 5 defensive boards. There weren't a lot of rebounds to be had.

Our team as a whole has made it a focus to get boards, Kobe pulled down 7, Gasol(guarding a midget) 7, Rad 6(guarding a midget), Ariza 5 and Odom 4. Bynum, for the 26 minutes that he played was putting a body on Yao and Yao is a load.

I think it's gone unnoticed this year that our team as a whole is going after boards a lot harder this year than last. And that's a good thing! But if this isn't recognized then our expectations for Drew's boards will remain unrealistic. This year our team is averaging 44.4 rebounds per game vs. giving up 41.2 so we are winning the rebounding battle as a team.
edwood94
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject:

melo061 wrote:
I think tonight should silence those who say Bryant isn't clutch. His performance down the stretch was the epitome of clutch.

1- On the road
2- Horrible shooting preformance 3

Yet he made some wicked shots including that gamewinning 3.

And Kobe has done this on numerous occasions.

He´s just amazing in the last minutes of any game, the best. But there would not be any need of heroic performances if he hadn´t spoiled almost ¡¡¡¡20!!! offensive actions of the team. I´ll say it again: He missed almost ¡¡¡20!!! shots. That kills a team. He´s just an unpatient guy. If Gasol or Bynum score almost any shot he allows them to have a normal place in the game, but when they miss a pair of buckets in a row, he goes mad and something in his head tells him "I have to do this by myself". I just needed to watch the first minutes of this game to know that Kobe was going to have a bad position shooting spree. I´ve seen this too much in the last years to not realize that he HAS to be more patient, as the team is when he spoils 5 offensive actions in a row.

Last edited by edwood94 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject:

edwood94 wrote:
melo061 wrote:
I think tonight should silence those who say Bryant isn't clutch. His performance down the stretch was the epitome of clutch.

1- On the road

He´s just amazing in the last minutes of any game, the best. But there would not be any need of heroic performances if he hadn´t spoiled almost ¡¡¡¡20!!! offensive actions of the team. I´ll say it again: He missed almost ¡¡¡20!!! shots. That kills a team. He´s just an unpatient guy. If Gasol or Bynum score almost any shot he allows them to have a normal place in the game, but when they miss a pair of buckets in a row, he goes mad and something in his head tells him "I have to do this by myself". I just needed to watch the first minutes of this game to know that Kobe was going to have a bad position shooting spree. I´ve seen this too much in the last years to realize that he HAS to be more patient, as the team is when he spoils 5 offensive actions in a row.

You are exactly right. This is the kind of bad habit that could cost us a championship.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. Another terrific write-up!!

Great to get the win to start off a tough stretch of games.
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks, DB. We did a little better on the defensive end of the floor in the last six minutes of the game IMO. AB needs to be a factor on the defensive end of the floor. Way too many lay-ups and dunks. He could have rotated over and didn't. On offense, I thought he took too many fifteen footers. Pau really struggled last night. It was great to see LO out there. He played well despite being out for a week. Ariza was huge. He made some big shots last night. Kobe's shot at the end of the game is just an example of a great player making a huge shot on the road with the outcome of the game in the balance.

Last edited by BigE32 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
melo061 wrote:

1- On the road

Did you catch the interview with Ireland after the game when he asked Kobe how he overcomes such poor shooting to make them in the end. I think he wanted Kobe to say something mystical. Instead he just said he practices all summer and sometimes the shots don't fall at first and he keeps adjusting and shooting. For those who hate it when he keeps shooting (and most of us do) we should remember that he is making adjustments so he can hit them when we need them the most. It's hard work that pays off.

Good point. But I think what irks me is, maybe other players might want to do the same thing, but if they miss 2 in a row they are either pulled(Vlad) or don't see the ball again in an offensive set(Bynum). Now that's perhaps a strong exaggeration but I think you know what I mean.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject:

BigE32 wrote:
Thanks, DB. We did a little better on the defensive end of the floor in the last six minutes of the game IMO. AB needs to be a factor on the defensive end of the floor. Way too many lay-ups and dunks. He could have rotated over and didn't.

And give up the easy dunk to Yao? No thanks.
Addicus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject:

edwood94 wrote:
melo061 wrote:

1- On the road

He´s just amazing in the last minutes of any game, the best. But there would not be any need of heroic performances if he hadn´t spoiled almost ¡¡¡¡20!!! offensive actions of the team. I´ll say it again: He missed almost ¡¡¡20!!! shots. That kills a team. He´s just an unpatient guy. If Gasol or Bynum score almost any shot he allows them to have a normal place in the game, but when they miss a pair of buckets in a row, he goes mad and something in his head tells him "I have to do this by myself". I just needed to watch the first minutes of this game to know that Kobe was going to have a bad position shooting spree. I´ve seen this too much in the last years to not realize that he HAS to be more patient, as the team is when he spoils 5 offensive actions in a row.

EdWood94 that is you seeing what you choose to see. Kobe took a lot of shots tonight because Gasol flat out refused to shoot the jumper. He could shoot over everyone guarding him except Yao but was lacking the confidence due to his bad shooting night from the previous game. He kept trying to put the ball on the floor and Houston's extra quick guards were swarming him. He never found a rhythm and Kobe was forced to pick up the slack as LO doesn't shoot much, Bynum was off with his shot or on the bench with foul trouble and Vlad was on the bench because of the Wafer mismatch.
-----
One of the reasons we miss having Sasha, Luke and Farmar is:
A. Sasha spreads the floor and gives another shooter/ballhandler. Kobe can drive and kick to him or Sasha can set up the offense instead of Kobe.
B. Luke is very proficient at setting up the offense.
C. Farmar allows for a change of pace and allows Kobe to play off the ball also.

Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/addicusbrown
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
targetman wrote:
melo061 wrote:

1- On the road

Did you catch the interview with Ireland after the game when he asked Kobe how he overcomes such poor shooting to make them in the end. I think he wanted Kobe to say something mystical. Instead he just said he practices all summer and sometimes the shots don't fall at first and he keeps adjusting and shooting. For those who hate it when he keeps shooting (and most of us do) we should remember that he is making adjustments so he can hit them when we need them the most. It's hard work that pays off.

Good point. But I think what irks me is, maybe other players might want to do the same thing, but if they miss 2 in a row they are either pulled(Vlad) or don't see the ball again in an offensive set(Bynum). Now that's perhaps a strong exaggeration but I think you know what I mean.

Neither has earned the right to be a go-to-guy, which is someone you trust to keep shooting on an off night. It starts on the practice floor where the coaching staff takes notice, and then progresses to game situations where the trust is earned with either making the shot or showing good judgement. In Vlad's case, this is his third team, and it seems his role has regressed over time, even before he became a Laker. In Bynum's case, there's no excuse for the terrible effort on both defense and on the boards. If Jackson keeps awarding him minutes based on scoring, Bynum will have very little incentive to improve rebounding or defense. That lack of accountability and laziness is what made Eddie Curry the player he is today.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

About the rebounds, our team had 9 offensive and 25 defensive while Houston had 9 offensive and 30 defensive. That accounts for all the available rebounds. That means that both teams failed to get 9 rebounds on the defensive end. Now, the average number of Defensive rebounds we fail to get per year is 11.7. So, in this game we actually took better care of the defensive glass by 2.7 rebounds.

Houston shot 53% to our 50%. That accounted for their additional 5 defensive boards. There weren't a lot of rebounds to be had.

Our team as a whole has made it a focus to get boards, Kobe pulled down 7, Gasol(guarding a midget) 7, Rad 6(guarding a midget), Ariza 5 and Odom 4. Bynum, for the 26 minutes that he played was putting a body on Yao and Yao is a load.

I think it's gone unnoticed this year that our team as a whole is going after boards a lot harder this year than last. And that's a good thing! But if this isn't recognized then our expectations for Drew's boards will remain unrealistic. This year our team is averaging 44.4 rebounds per game vs. giving up 41.2 so we are winning the rebounding battle as a team.
He played several minutes with Yao on the bench iirc. That's no excuse. He just allowed Yao to move him out of position time and again. His base strength is still weak as a puppy.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
edwood94 wrote:
melo061 wrote:

1- On the road

He´s just amazing in the last minutes of any game, the best. But there would not be any need of heroic performances if he hadn´t spoiled almost ¡¡¡¡20!!! offensive actions of the team. I´ll say it again: He missed almost ¡¡¡20!!! shots. That kills a team. He´s just an unpatient guy. If Gasol or Bynum score almost any shot he allows them to have a normal place in the game, but when they miss a pair of buckets in a row, he goes mad and something in his head tells him "I have to do this by myself". I just needed to watch the first minutes of this game to know that Kobe was going to have a bad position shooting spree. I´ve seen this too much in the last years to realize that he HAS to be more patient, as the team is when he spoils 5 offensive actions in a row.

You are exactly right. This is the kind of bad habit that could cost us a championship.
Yes, Kobe is clutch, no one can say otherwise, but we wouldn't have needed that clutch shot if he used the talent we've got on the team. Our team is talented enough that Kobe should never take 33 shots in a game. He goes ballistic when he is frustrated and tries to 'prove a point' to the refs, or the crowd or the guy who is defending him, usually to the detriment of the team. He's like a pirhanna that smells blood in the water. He goes nuclear instead of becoming a decoy and setting others up. That game last night shouldn't have been that close.

Also, you had to figure Wafer would go off like that, against his former team. That dude's intense!

I was disappointed with Pau and Drew, they couldn't get it going. I felt Kobe should have set them up more.

Props to LO for gutting it out and playing. We certainly needed him.

Props to Ariza and Vlad for a big impact on the game as well...

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
targetman wrote:
melo061 wrote:

1- On the road

Neither has earned the right to be a go-to-guy, which is someone you trust to keep shooting on an off night. It starts on the practice floor where the coaching staff takes notice, and then progresses to game situations where the trust is earned with either making the shot or showing good judgement. In Vlad's case, this is his third team, and it seems his role has regressed over time, even before he became a Laker..

Bynum practices, off the court, what goes unstated here is neither are given the chance.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject:

Quote:
In Bynum's case, there's no excuse for the terrible effort on both defense and on the boards.

There weren't any rebounds available. We held our opponent to 9 offensive rebounds, 2.7 below our season average so according to this stat there were basically no rebounds left to take. What do you want him to do, fight his own teammates for those? That's stupid!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Quote:
In Bynum's case, there's no excuse for the terrible effort on both defense and on the boards.

There weren't any rebounds available, duh!

You're so right. Yao didn't have 15 rebounds either. It was a typo. And that one Bynum rebound was all that was available the entire game. Not only that, but he dominated on that rebound.
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
BigE32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
BigE32 wrote:
Thanks, DB. We did a little better on the defensive end of the floor in the last six minutes of the game IMO. AB needs to be a factor on the defensive end of the floor. Way too many lay-ups and dunks. He could have rotated over and didn't.

And give up the easy dunk to Yao? No thanks.

That's where help defense comes to play. Bynum was worried about Yao, but he needs to rotate over and someone needs to slide down. You can't just worry about the guy you're guarding.
edwood94
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject:

Addicus wrote:
Kobe took a lot of shots tonight because Gasol flat out refused to shoot the jumper.

Well, Addicus, I think Kobe is the like a boss in a factory. Anything he could say is going to be heard. If he wants extra-collaboration from the big guys, he´ll say it, as he did with Gasol himself during the Celtics´ game. A simple "Come on , Pau, wake up now!", and at least he´d try. But I´ve seen this attitude from Kobe many, too many times: when he receives the ball and is not able to leave his defender behind, he never looks around to see the global picture. Suddendly, as somebody said before, it stops being a Lakers-Rockets game. It becomes Kobe vs. the world. Like a guy with the crise of the forties, he wants everybody to know that he´s still able to face a whole team and score in their faces. I accept this was a bad game of the whole team and some of his shots were forced by this situation, but he has to realize that Kobe´s misses are exactly as harmful for the game as anybody else´s. He IS the best, but during his interview with Ireland, when he stated (not literally) that when he misses, he just keeps trying until he starts scoring, is one of the most annoying and selfish comments I´ve heard. This is not a training camp. This was an NBA game.

Last edited by edwood94 on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Tick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject:

I may not post on this thread all the time, but it's the only thread I actually look forward to reading for my own basketball edification. Thanks DB!
kobester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
Quote:

You're so right. Yao didn't have 15 rebounds either. It was a typo. And that one Bynum rebound was all that was available the entire game. Not only that, but he dominated on that rebound.

Yao had 17.

Last game the excuse for andrew's low reb number was that gasol had 18 rebs so there were little rebs left for andrew.

this game the excuse is that Houston shot too high a percentage

keep it up, folks

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:

kobester wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Rick12322 wrote:
Quote:

Yao had 17.

Last game the excuse for andrew's low reb number was that gasol had 18 rebs so there were little rebs left for andrew.

this game the excuse is that Houston shot too high a percentage

keep it up, folks

You forgot the "pulled from the basket" excuse!

We gotta start making this a multiple choice test.
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:

I'm not saying he should have had Yao's numbers. Just saying that Yao, more than anyone on the court, controlled the boards. Bynum was the exact opposite. Of all the rebounders out there, he was the least effective. He needs to step it up.
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Sorry about the neck nearly getting broke, but you know how it is.

It's ok, shouldn't have said some of the things that I did.

And...I've done some pretty bad things the past three years.

Though, I now know what the "right" side is...or do I...
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:

anyone find a pic of kobe's dagger? ive checked getty, yahoo, espn, nba.com....nothing.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: