SPURS -at- LAKERS - 1/25 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:31 am    Post subject:

dukdukgoos wrote:
First. That was a great win. Loved the defense from LO, dude is ballin' right now.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject:

thanks, DB
it's very encouraging to see that we played at our best so far in meaningful games against celtics, cavs and spurs... i never saw bynum so confident before... only weakness -wolf is right- is that we still let wide open the outside shooters...
limchrc
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject:

Thanks, nice win.
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject:

Quote:
P.S. Umm, don't give him the oil can. Not that you would, but, just sayin'...

no oil for the rusty old spurs

thanks DB.

it was great seeing Farmar back in action

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject:

Awesome as always DB.

I may be in the minority, but I'm okay with the Lakers giving up the open jumpers until SA would prove they could hit them. They didn't so the Lakers continued to deny the paint and easier baskets.

I would imagine that had Bonner and Mason started hitting, there would have been a tweak to the "D".

The best thing about this game was letting Drew go one-on-one with Duncan. I think this was huge for the kid and we are starting to see the fruits of Phil's tough love.

It was good to see Farmar back. He looked lightning quick and very much in-tune with his boys.

Fellow Laker fans, the Death-Rider blitz is back!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:12 pm    Post subject:

BigEvil wrote:
The best thing about this game was letting Drew go one-on-one with Duncan. I think this was huge for the kid and we are starting to see the fruits of Phil's tough love.

IMO, the reason we have Pau, Bynum, and LO is so that we never have to double at either the PF or C spots. In any game in which we've doubled the C or the PF, I don't think we've needed to and its only hurt us by giving up wide open Js.

We need to save our help D for opposing backcourts, not frontcourts.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
BigEvil wrote:

IMO, the reason we have Pau, Bynum, and LO is so that we never have to double at either the PF or C spots. In any game in which we've doubled the C or the PF, I don't think we've needed to and its only hurt us by giving up wide open Js.

Which makes you wonder why these guys still do it sometimes. Against Yao or Duncan maybe but sometimes they double dudes who really don't deserve that respect.

Odd.

!...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

Which makes you wonder why these guys still do it sometimes. Against Yao or Duncan maybe but sometimes they double dudes who really don't deserve that respect.

Odd.

We do a lot of overplaying when we don't need to. It definitely costs us. In the playoffs you tend to learn your defensive rules for a team and stick to them more. So, I think a lot of these games where we see guys doing that...it won't be as much of an issue when they get to understand their opponent for a series vs. a game.
mefor3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject:

can't wait for the playoffs...when "Kobe" becomes "KOBEEEEEEEEEEEE"
NonCuratLex
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:46 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
BigEvil wrote:

Remember what Phil referred to, un-PC, as the "brokeback mountain" game? We have often had two problems when facing the spurs: having to double Duncan, and having to collapse on Parker. Both of these things lead to a lot of open perimeter shuts - sometimes dozens of uncontested threes by Bowen, Ginobili, sometimes Parker, and now more frequently Roger Mason. They can make these shots. Having Drew or Pau (as opposed to LO or Robert Horry, or Mark Madsen, or Jamal Sampson, previous Laker starting PFs during the Duncan era, who could not guard him) means being able to guard Duncan in single-coverave without having to send a double or foul when facing the iso.

The consequence of having Pau's length, or Drew's size, to challenge Duncan, is that the rest of the team can stay home. This makes the defensive game easier. It also means that if Parker drives and Drew has to leave Duncan to challenge the shot, Pau can switch to Duncan, and Parker's man just has to take the pass to the Spurs' "center" out of the play (you don't need to body up to guys like Oberto or Thomas or Bonner all the time - they're basically stiffs who can only score facing the basket, if you leave them all alone).

Compare this game to the regular season games last season, or to previous seasons (other than '03-'04 when we had Karl Malone), and the big difference is the Spurs got so few uncontested threes, when in the past they get so many, and they use them to beat us.

Now, one of two things could cause our next game against the Spurs to be harder.

#1: Duncan finds a way to beat Drew consistently, causing us to have to double. Result: more open threes and more open lanes to the basket.

#2: Ginobili gets his game back. You have to admit that Ginobili did not make a big difference in this game, and when the Spurs beat us, he's usually a factor. It's always harder to beat the Spurs when that clown is at full strength.

Aside: Ginobili, if you haven't noticed, is capable of Kobe-like offensive production (in much more limited mintues) when he's healthy. Basically, when, or because, he's allowed to walk with the ball, sometimes all the way from top of the arc to the basket, there's not a player in the league who can guard him. He will get shots under the basket, or free throws, and you just have to hope to either deny himt he ball, or inflict enough pain that he gets tired of his runningback routine (while trading baskets for free throws).

I don't know when the league is going to go to send the message that Ginobili's ball-handling is inappropriate, but until they do, a healthy Ginobili is just a nightmare - especially for us, it seems.

If he is doing his thing, it means we have to send doubles at him, and that means open shots for Mason or Bowen, and more lanes to the basket for Parker.

The Lakers could have done a few things better, as well. A few times they were beat down the floor in transition even though the play started under the basket. That shouldn't happen. Also, they didn't have a + turnover ratio, or steal ratio. We're used to seeing this defense out-TO and out-steal the other team; it's supposed to be what we're good at. However, the Spurs are an exceptional ball-handling team this year, and we played a "stay at home" D instead of our trapping D that usually forces a lot of TOs.

In all it was a good game, very fun to watch. I love seeing the Lakers beat the Spurs - especially because I respect the Spurs as a great opponent - wins like these mean something. Lakers-Spurs games always have a "playoff preview" feel - sometimes they are out-and-out just playoff-like, even when it's not the playoffs.

I hope LA does not let up the pressure from here. We've gotten rich on home games and now it's time to pay up - with interest. Results of the road trip will really give us an assessment of whether it's another good team, or the great team that I believe it is.

-Matt
(LG Newbie)
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject:

^Good post, you should post more so we can get more of that...

City_Dawg wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
BigEvil wrote:

Odd.

Not a big in the league we need to double. I think Bynum or Gasol can hold any big in the league to no more than their per game averages... and most of the time much less than their per game averages. If I were Phil, I'd always let them go one on one and only think about doubling if the player gets really hot or our bigs start to get in foul trouble.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
lakers3810
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject:

At this point, Bynum doesn't need the double help. Pau? Let's just say we were fortunate that Pop must have "forgotten" to tell Duncan to attack him, like JVG suggested.
NonCuratLex
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject:

lakers3810 wrote:
At this point, Bynum doesn't need the double help. Pau? Let's just say we were fortunate that Pop must have "forgotten" to tell Duncan to attack him, like JVG suggested.

Jeff is a very insightful analyst at times. Other times he's a dimbulb with a big mouth and a short memory. This particular idea was from the latter category.

Timmy got as many isos against Pau (and Lamar) as he wanted last year. There was no magic happening there. He shot 42% (43-101) in the 5-game WCF last year; compare with 50% (64-127) shooting in 6-game '03 WC SFs against LA.

Duncan is getting older but he can still shoot 50% against the league, and much more against weak defense. But he did noticeably worse than that against Pau and Lamar with no Drew. Why would JVG expect better results against Pau or Lamar? Maybe better relative to his success against Drew, but it was not like the Spurs had some golden opportunity they missed. Tim got beat. End of story.
dawnzky05
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject:

Glad to have Famar back in the game. The glue guy is ultimately back to the ball arena.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: