BOBCATS -at- LAKERS - 1/27 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject:

Panther wrote:
What is that 5 wins in a row for my bobcats over you guys? I think thats right. I don't know what it is though. We seem to have y'alls number as of lately. It shocked me to see us win,because we lost to the pacers a few nights before. See you guys in charlotte on march 31st!
I'll be there too.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject:

the tuesday curse continues. 4 of our 9 losses happened on tuesday.

i blame ahmad rashad!
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: BOBCATS -at- LAKERS - 1/27 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

angrypuppy wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Overtime: He subbed in Pau on the defensive end for Bynum with 2:07 left in OT.

Worst.Coaching.Decision.of.the.Season

Pau was an absolute liability on both offense and defense. His legs were shot; he was being out hustled and the refs were allowing the defenders to push him around like a rag doll. It was a shocker to see Phil take Bynum out; without Kobe, he was the only one carrying the team. Even Stu questioned that substitution... with only 2 minutes left, why not leave him in?

It was Phil who cost us that game last night. He single handedly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

In terms of Lamar, I don't blame him. If he hasn't figured it out at this juncture of his career, the responsibility lies with the front office that owns his rights.

It's especially irksome when you've stayed up to 2 am only to watch them lose in double OT then can't get to sleep and wake up late and cranky to a winter snow storm.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:24 am    Post subject:

Yeah Pau was straight up awful.. What was his deal? He didn't sleep last night? You could tell from the get go that he didn't show up.

This game showed how valuable Kobe is the the Lakers.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the recap DB. It must be hard writing recaps on losses. This game was ugly. Their physicality exposed the weak links on this team. Pau needs to be locked in a room with DJ MBenga, if he survives that he might emerge a man. Sasha needs to be locked in a gym until he gets his shot back. He must of reduced the amount of practice he put into his shootiing last summer in order to spend that extra time on his ball handling/slashing/driving game because I can't think of any other reason why his shot's been so erratic this year. I have nothing against expanding his game but when you neglect your one talent that got you here, and over invest on non talented portions of your game you get this. Let that be a lesson to him, or everyone for that matter, priority #1 is to keep your best talents sharp at all costs. The rest is just a bonus.

I honestly believe Bynum was only trying to commit a foul to send Wallace to the line, he wasn't trying to hurt him and had no clue whatsoever that what he did would have hurt him. I feel bad for Wallace, wow, I hope he recovers soon.
Arizona
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject:

MedRomLaker wrote:
Wow what a game, pau had the highest per for the lakers tied with vladi with +7, man per is a great stat.

Captain Triangle directed the ship into the iceburg and while sinking said "we look to be on course."

Sorry db but I really feel phil is to blame for this, you take a timeout after the 1st two point scored, I really thought he was gonna take this game seriously, ie boston game, and call for TO's and sub's as needed. But it seemed like he turned a blind eye.
Thanks for the laugh. I think we all need it after that game. Yeesh.

“You’ve got to play with pride and guts.” -LO
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject:

Phil should have put Odom on Wallace and Luke on Diaw. Truth is before he went out, Wallace was abusing us. He is too physical for Luke. Lamar could have negated most of his inside plays.

Diaw on the other hand is more finesse. A easier match up for Luke.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject:

Bobbies have won 3 straight at Staples? Is that true? Unfortunately, I've been to the last 2. They've always been an athletic team and now they have some vets in Diaw and the Butcher.

I knew we were in trouble with the Wallace vs Luke matchup. Super-athlete vs Molasses.

Kobe, bless him, started out like this was going to be an off-game. 0 points midway thru the 2nd and then BOOM. When he took over, the Bobbies were shaking. Looks like the dislocated finger is not going to be a major problem as he shot better than 50%. Seeing that he took 28 shots, I could hear Wilbon saying "told ya, he shouldn't shoot more than 22 in a game." I got no problem with that number because he was shooting well and we really got nothing much out of the F spots.

Bynum was a dominant force, more impressive since Okafor is a pretty good and strong defender. Phil's decision to take him out in the 1st OT is quite puzzling. He showed the complete package - footwork, left hand, right hand, 6 blocks. Only 1 assist, but when you've got it going, hitting a high %-age, and the other team isn't doubling you, you gotta attack rather than pitch out.

Pau - 1st truly bad game of the season. Offensively, he just couldn't hit his normal shots. Defensively, he didn't match up well with Diaw (kinda like how we use LO against typical PFs) and was outmuscled by Okafor.

LO had a good stretch when he wasn't committing mental errors. That ended last night. I wonder if Kobe lit into him in the locker room.

Sasha hit his first 3 3's, giving him a 'be a hero' mentality. Aside from the quick and unnecessary 3 in the 2nd OT, he shot another one earlier just after catching an inbounds pass and even though he was a good 2 ft away from the 3-line.
mefor3
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry, but Sasha is no NBA player...We lost the game because of his poor decisions in OT, Bynum was hot and he kept shooting...

i was yelling Sasha don't shoot, don't shoot...and he did. I would bench his azz for couple of games just for taking that three in transition
lakers3810
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't blame Phil too much. After all, it's quite hard to discern which one is the superstar and which one is the All-Star, but wasn't playing like one that night
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject:

As I mentioned, Kobe was furious at LO for the boneheadery. Ding's article below is a bit harsh, but the last quote by Phil about LO is worth eyeballing:

Quote:
Making matters worse, in the second overtime Odom decided to go away from Bynum’s hot hand – contrary to Jackson’s clear instructions – once the Lakers fell behind. Odom tried to create for himself, yet his off-balance shot missed, Bryant shook his head and the Lakers never recovered.

If you think Gasol was more to blame for the loss, consider that even though Jackson ranked it is Gasol’s worst game as a Laker and tried to say everyone has areas to improve, the coach’s final words of the night were these: “Unfortunately, it fell right in Lamar’s lap tonight.”
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: BOBCATS -at- LAKERS - 1/27 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

angrypuppy wrote:
In terms of Lamar, I don't blame him. If he hasn't figured it out at this juncture of his career, the responsibility lies with the front office that owns his rights.
LO was much more aggressive (offensively) in this game. Despite LO not persistently fulfilling his great potential, the vast majority of the other teams would grab LO in a minute (IMO)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: BOBCATS -at- LAKERS - 1/27 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
LO was much more aggressive (offensively) in this game. Despite LO not persistently fulfilling his great potential, the vast majority of the other teams would grab LO in a minute (IMO)

Of course he has value. With most teams Lamar wouldn't face as many high pressure situations. Lamar is a victim of circumstance. He's on a team with championship aspiriations.
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:19 pm    Post subject:

-i hate when kobe's heroics are for nothing (this game, @SA, against hous where he drilled that 3 in the corner after kwame missed the free throw)
-note to phil:leave bynum in the game, your mind games hurt the team
-i still cant believe LO left Diaw and commented how the d was good because diaw's shot % was low. ding's article was dead on
-then in double OT, d-fish leaves brown open for 3 to go help
-pau was pathetic, i dont care he had a bad shooting night but the turnovers and laziness hurt us more.
-pau came in for P-n-r defense? andrew did a good job of flashing and showing. not to mention he was a BEAST on the offensive end. actually pau did a good job too because felton should have lit up d-fish
-i hope bynum isnt suspended for his hit on wallace. with our luck stu will suspend him before the boston game.
-i hope trevor bounces back quickly. his energy was missed
-luke is garbage, he had no business starting against wallace. i was happy with phils quick timeout but not happy to see luke replace kobe in OT
-sasha was open off a screen when luke threw the ball away. didnt we have a timeout? some high bball IQ
-luke wouldnt even start for the bobcats or wiz but he starts for us?
-why not try the big 3 lineup and force other teams to adjust to it?
-i hate tuesday games, stop voting for us....lol
-anyone see the play that knocked trev out?
-kobe fouling out was a tragedy. im not asking for superstar calls either. i dont even think a bench player should foul out like that. 3 of his fouls were questionable. ask yourself this if kobe had the ball and raja had 5 fouls, would they have let it go? OF COURSE

thanks DB. not sure how you do it after a tough loss.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Last year, before the Pau trade, I said numerous times that the lakers were not going to win any rings unless they got rid of at least two of the following three players: Kwame, Luke, LO. I stand by that. Trade either Luke or Lamar (hopefully both, which won't happen), or stick one of them (Luke, most likely) at the end of the bench where the damage he does to his own team can be minimized.

Luke has now proven himself to be LOUSY under pressure. he's made these kinds of end-of-the-game catastrophic miscues over and over again throughout his time here. Seems like failure is hard-wired into his system under pressure now. I'm not sure why PJ still has faith in Luke when it's apparent to even the casual observer that Luke just can't cut it in those situations (not that he's any great shakes at other times, either -- still a horrifying defensive liability, and an overrated passer).

In the play-offs, assuming Luke starts, teams are simply going to collapse the defense, and let Luke shoot all he wants. He will clank the majority of the time. Having him out there is like playing 4 on 5 because the other team can allow the guy guarding Luke to simply roam because Luke is absolutely no threat. His vaunted (read:overrated) passing ability won't make much of a difference because team's will be doubling Kobe, and playing everyone else close. They will dare Luke to beat them, and he will fail. And the lakers will get off to slow starts and it will all be uphill from there.

LO is LO -- just not a winner. A guy who is defined by his chronic (no pun intended, but then again ...) crumbling under pressure and penchant for making the same boneheaded mistakes over and over and over again. People keep saying (after last nite's loss) that hopefully the team will learn from it. But when has that ever been the case? Luke repeats his failures, as does LO -- REGULARLY. They won't change, and believing that they will is an excercise in denial.

SGH
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
As I mentioned, Kobe was furious at LO for the boneheadery. Ding's article below is a bit harsh, but the last quote by Phil about LO is worth eyeballing:

Quote:
Making matters worse, in the second overtime Odom decided to go away from Bynum’s hot hand – contrary to Jackson’s clear instructions – once the Lakers fell behind. Odom tried to create for himself, yet his off-balance shot missed, Bryant shook his head and the Lakers never recovered.

If you think Gasol was more to blame for the loss, consider that even though Jackson ranked it is Gasol’s worst game as a Laker and tried to say everyone has areas to improve, the coach’s final words of the night were these: “Unfortunately, it fell right in Lamar’s lap tonight.”

I like how Phil can put the game on Lamar. Really nice words from a head coach. The guy who goes 4-16 and Phil even admits had his worst game as a Laker, is less to blame but Lamar is more blame. Whats worse, Fisher made an even BIGGER mistake 2 weeks back, and Kobe had the same reaction. Kobe always sulks at other teammates mistakes, ignoring his own ofcourse. Thats always been Kobe's MO, we all deal with it and I think his teammates don't mind anymore, because they realize its coming from the competitor in him. But Fish made a similar mistake and no article was written nor did Jackson put it on Fisher's lap.

Really, Jackson is one of the best at being unfair. Keep it up PJ. Not only have you already alienated Vlad Radmanovic and the Andrew Bynum camp (and probably Drew as well) you're going to add Lamar into the mix soon, too.

Putting Walton on Gerald Wallace had nothing to do with this loss, right Phil? Vlad's a space cadet but Walton's supreme passing in the clutch and defense had nothing to do with this loss? Its on Lamar's lap alone. What about Fisher and Farmar jacked up shots in that OT? Lamar took what 1 shot in that OT?

Lamar should grow a pair, get some pride and get himself out of this situation. He's a lameduck and being used as a filler in. Lamar being stupid thinks they actually want him back. They won't, finanaces aren't allowing it, and it's clear Jackson prefers Pau's offense at 4 anyway. If I were Lamar, I'd think about my career before trying to do whats best for this team. This team sure as hell won't be paying you the next contract, or asking you back for your market value.

Grow a pair Lamar, get out by deadline, and save your market value while you still have a chance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Quote:

I like how Phil can put the game on Lamar. Really nice words from a head coach. The guy who goes 4-16 and Phil even admits had his worst game as a Laker, is less to blame but Lamar is more blame. Whats worse, Fisher made an even BIGGER mistake 2 weeks back, and Kobe had the same reaction. Kobe always sulks at other teammates mistakes, ignoring his own ofcourse. Thats always been Kobe's MO, we all deal with it and I think his teammates don't mind anymore, because they realize its coming from the competitor in him. But Fish made a similar mistake and no article was written nor did Jackson put it on Fisher's lap.

Really, Jackson is one of the best at being unfair. Keep it up PJ. Not only have you already alienated Vlad Radmanovic and the Andrew Bynum camp (and probably Drew as well) you're going to add Lamar into the mix soon, too.

Putting Walton on Gerald Wallace had nothing to do with this loss, right Phil? Vlad's a space cadet but Walton's supreme passing in the clutch and defense had nothing to do with this loss? Its on Lamar's lap alone. What about Fisher and Farmar jacked up shots in that OT? Lamar took what 1 shot in that OT?

Lamar should grow a pair, get some pride and get himself out of this situation. He's a lameduck and being used as a filler in. Lamar being stupid thinks they actually want him back. They won't, finanaces aren't allowing it, and it's clear Jackson prefers Pau's offense at 4 anyway. If I were Lamar, I'd think about my career before trying to do whats best for this team. This team sure as hell won't be paying you the next contract, or asking you back for your market value.

Grow a pair Lamar, get out by deadline, and save your market value while you still have a chance.

After all the times Lamar has come up snake eyes, if not invisible, when this team needs him, you act offended that they probably won't re-sign him?

His responsibilities have been reduced year after year when it became increasingly clear that LO lacks the drive, competitive fire, and dedication that it takes to be a reliable teammate -- one whose game IMPROVES year after year instead of regresses predicatably. He couldn't be Scottie Pippen-lite because he couldn't initiate a fart in a bean-eating contest. And in every other position PJ and the staff have placed him, Odom STILL managed to pull his Mr. Invisible act time and time again.

Finally, they wised up and made him a bench player where his vaunted "versatility" (read: can do nothing at an elite level) would be of better use. And what does he do? First he pouts, then drags his feet, then, even when he's able to string a few good games together, he STILL makes the most BONEHEADED, RIDICULOUSLY STUPID mistakes REPEATEDLY -- in the same game even.

And you act offended that somehow the team has done him wrong?

Odom is a nice guy, by all accounts, but if you don't think that getting late to practice chronically and losing focus as a matter of course, doesn't sooner or later drive all of his teammates crazy, bat$sh#t angry at him, then you've never played competitive basketball. Everyone has to hold up their end. Odom, time and time again, has come up short. Arguing that he wasn't the sole reason for last note's loss is a deflection and a failure to recognize what others have been shouting from rooftops for years now (and what finally even his defenders on the coaching staff have realized): Odom is a screw-up. Always has been. Always will be. He has the physique of an all-time baller, and the mental and emotional maturity of a lobotimized slug. He's like Fredo in the Godfather -- he's got the genetics of a superstar, just not the attitude, grit, determination or focus.

Period. End of story. The faster they get rid of that underachieving cancer the better.

SGH
klew
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject:

So disappointing...
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject:

SGH - I'm not going to get into great detail over a number of things stated there, because it would take away from the overall thread and become a LO thread. Don't wanna crap on DB's thread.

My main point was the blame game. I hate that Jackson puts it (the game) on Lamar's lap. Mind games? Maybe. I still don't agree or like it. There's a zillion things and threads you can post and I can respond about Lamar, but that doesn't have anything to do with the central factor in my rant on Jackson's quote - which was the main point.

Jackson is excusing himself. He's excusing Pau and the rest of the team. He's putting it on Lamar basically and Ding is twisting it around as if Lamar is screwing the team. You're calling him a cancer. If thats how they see it, great, let him go to another team, I am starting to look forward to see if it really is him.

Interesting thing is that Fisher had the exact same type of play to a worse degree (because LA went down 1 for that play and lost the game immediately, unlike last night where we had a chance in another session to beat them and couldn't) and we heard nothing like that from Jackson or the media. Why? Fisher, his standing is different. Even though the truth is Lamar has outplayed Fisher on both ends of the floor this year in a lesser role. Doesn't matter, Fisher is a hero in the eyes of the media and Jackson. Thats my peeve. Always has been, always will be. Double standards. Jackson is finding ways to stick to Odom on his way out the door, while excusing players for the same mistakes. He's sticking it to Bynum, Radmanovic for things he lets Gasol and Walton get away it. Really, the double standards are just not cool. Alas, thats Jackson, always will be.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: BOBCATS -at- LAKERS - 1/27 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings

angrypuppy wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Of course he has value. With most teams Lamar wouldn't face as many high pressure situations. Lamar is a victim of circumstance. He's on a team with championship aspiriations.
It's up to Kobe, PJ, DFish and others to stay on LO's .SS if he wants serious PT at the end of games - especially with Ariza in the wings. PJ, along with coaches such as Pop, Larry Brown and others are utilizing these games to see who will be playing critical times during the playoffs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: