How and why is the Evolution theory considered plausible? (purely a science question)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spflakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Even the frickin Pope supports the evidence of evolution. The Vatican! The people who - to steal from the Onion - probably just banned another human gland yesterday.

And I think I'm just going to take ocho's advice, because this is obviously not something where someone who doesn't believe it is going to be convinced.
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject:

spflakers wrote:
Even the frickin Pope supports the evidence of evolution. The Vatican! The people who - to steal from the Onion - probably just banned another human gland yesterday.

And I think I'm just going to take ocho's advice, because this is obviously not something where someone who doesn't believe it is going to be convinced.

I'm not asking to be convinced about one thing or another. I was merely asking you what experimental evidence you were referring to in your previous post.

Who is my avatar? Kharunisia
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Always remember that science is mankind's attempt to explain the world by what they can observe.

The evolutionary process has never been observed. Evolution is a theory because it is science's best guess as to how everything came about based on what they can observe.

The scientific establishment begins with the assumption that evolution is true and strives to prove that. Those that question its validity (even those that are not creationists) are usually ostricized.

The only way to challenge evolution within the scientific community is to come up with a better (or at least comparable) scientific theory of how everything came to be.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject:

lmao

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:

My knowledge of science is very basic, but at least I know that and don't attempt to thumb my nose at its long standing theories that I couldn't even begin to disprove with my limited scientific knowledge. Lacking those things doesn't seem to stop others however.

Of course no one can imagine how life evolved from a single cell to primates in one thought, it's a process that took millions of years.

Last edited by Fan0Bynum17 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Mongo wrote:
Always remember that science is mankind's attempt to explain the world by what they can observe.

The evolutionary process has never been observed. Evolution is a theory because it is science's best guess as to how everything came about based on what they can observe.

The scientific establishment begins with the assumption that evolution is true and strives to prove that. Those that question its validity (even those that are not creationists) are usually ostricized.

The only way to challenge evolution within the scientific community is to come up with a better (or at least comparable) scientific theory of how everything came to be.

So, because you can't see the smallest movement of time, time has not been observed either?
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject:

Mongo wrote:

Yup, one day Darwin just pulled an assumption right out of his ass (didn't observe anything) and the scientific community has been assuming away ever since.
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

Yup, one day Darwin just pulled an assumption right out of his ass (didn't observe anything) and the scientific community has been assuming away ever since.

I think the part of Mongo's post that you should be looking at is the part I bolded -- at least that's my opinion.

The other three paragraphs, well, I don't really have a problem with. Have we observed evolution in action? (And by this I mean one species evolving into a new one) No, we haven't (unless I'm missing something.) What we have seen is small variations which we, as a scientific community have extrapolated over time.

But scientists are trying constantly trying to find better and better evidence for it. I can't find the link, but there was a story recently about scientists working backwards on the evolutionary tree starting with birds and trying to go back to a dinosaur-like creature. If I find that article easily, I'll post it.

I disagree that the scientific establishment begins with the assumption that evolution is true. The reason that belief is held is because there was evidence that pointed in that direction in the first place. Once that is in place, then science attempts to either support or disprove. That's it.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject:

To say we can't observe evolution is laughably obtuse, considering al the data we have amassed. It's like saying you can't document the evolution in automobile design. A child can do it, without ever being privy to the inner workings at car companies. You can observe what came earliest, and all the various iterations between then and now.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject:

It's funny because I was discussing a similar topic last week as I try to wrap my head around it.

Much of the discussion here has been about the post evolutionary/post Big-Bang processes. However the OP's original comments cut right to the point - scientifically speaking, how do you have everything from nothing?

The part in particular that I'm fascinated by is that 'everything' also includes time... for there to be truly 'nothing' that means that at one point time didn't exist (an oxymoron, I know). However with the Big Bang theory (one of several scientific origin theories, I know), time began with the Big Bang itself.

So in the absence of all atoms, sub-atomic particles, time, darkness, light, physics, etc., EVERYTHING came to be. As the OP states, the logic behind that being possible from point zero on the time chart appears to be a scientific impossibility. Everything comng from (truly) nothing.

Even 100,000 years from now, I wonder how science can literally throw out all the rules of the universe (throw away the laws of physics, throw away time, start with zero atoms or sub-atomic particles etc.) to replicate the appearance of something (anything) coming from absolutely nothing.

Add to that his further point of everything coming together in randomly accidental ways to bring about the incredibly complex yet orderly system of the universe and life we have today for no particular scientific reason is truly beyond mind-boggling.

I mean, what is the chance that you can take all the letters of the alphabet a million times each, put it in a large container to shake them up in some random fashion, then spill them on to the ground in a way that replicates the works of William Shakespeare?

If you did that exercise a google amount of times (1 followed by a million zeroes), just forming actual words randomly is an accomplishment, but could entire plays be formed by this method? Proper spacing and well formatted? Plays with a plot, moral conflict themes, character development, a logical progression of a beginning, middle, and end?

That is just an activity involving text only, but how much more complex is the logic exhibited in our universe as well as the intricate development of the human condition?

These are all questions I've come to wonder on my own, especially recently. I know religions offer various angles on it... ok, put that completely aside because that is a wholly different topic. This is truly an area in science that (while understanding there are no answers at this point) I constantly look for some sort of logical response that can somehow bring an ounce of understanding to how it all could be possible (lol, it is possible since we are here) when it clearly appears to be scientifically IMpossible.

BTW, I heard a bit ago that Hawkings will have a new book on the history of the universe out at some point. When I first started contemplating on these questions seriously, I considered reading his old one but will instead wait for this new release. It should be fascinating since he is considered one of the top big brains on the subject.

Last edited by joeblow on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoCaLjAy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject:

Does the Big Bang theory actually say there was nothing? I'm not real familiar with all of the ideas, but I thought there was matter and molecules etc. Nothing implies the absence of any matter whatsoever. I think that is a misrepresentation of the theory. There was something that came together and formed something else.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject:

^^^ Good question, but besides the point of what the OP is asking. Speaking more generally, regradless of what scientific explanation is theorized, how is it possible to get absolutely everything from truly nothing (no time, no physics, no atoms, to light or darkness... nothing).
ComputerBlue
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject:

I saw this Ben Stein documentary on HBO or something recently, mainly looks at the consequences of even questioning evolution:

http://www.expelledthemovie.com/aboutthemovie.php

“Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed” rejects the notion that “the case is closed,” and exposes the widespread persecution of scientists and educators who are pursuing legitimate, opposing scientific views to the reigning orthodoxy.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Science doesn't attempt to answer how something came from nothing. Something from nothing is something we all have to come to terms with unless you want to talk about the possibility of infinite regression, which to me is just a bogus way of dodging the question. Trying to pin science in the corner for not having an answer as to where the very first speck of matter came from is ridiculous because science never claimed it could answer that.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
^^^ Good question, but besides the point of what the OP is asking. Speaking more generally, regradless of what scientific explanation is theorized, how is it possible to get absolutely everything from truly nothing (no time, no physics, no atoms, to light or darkness... nothing).

Then that's not a scientific question.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject:

How is it not? I'm not arguing in any of the questions I've posted... I'm just looking for leads that point to some logical, scientific direction that directly address these incongruencies.

The laws of the universe as we now understand it seem to clearly reject the notion that anything can be made from nothing. See that table over there? That's something. It is made of wood. That wood came from a tree. That tree grew from some kind of seed or acorn (dropped by an earlier tree).

That seed is made up of atoms, and at some point either those atoms (or the sub atomic particles that make up atoms) either came from nothing, or they always existed. Is there any other scientific possibility?

If they came from nothing, how can something come from nothing? If they always existed, then there is no true origin of everything, just an orgin of our collection of everything we call our universe. That part I can see (which allows for other concepts like other dimensions, etc.).

However, even beyond all that you still have the main issue asked.... how can everything always be in some kind of existance (existing even outside of the concept of time) even if you discount everything coming from nothing? Either one of those concepts seem to conflict in major ways with the laws of physics, mathmatecal principals, and other laws/theories commonly used as tools to explain the reality around us.

And if those tools that we use like physics, math, and science did not exist 'prior' to the Big Bang (I know, an oxymoron since there was no time prior to the Big Bang), how are those tools even accepted as part of the discussion for activities and events outside the scope of their abilities?

You don't use a thermometer to determine the speed of a lion. It is the wrong tool for the job. How can science explain a pre-science existence if science hadn't yet been invented, and therefore those scientific concepts clearly wouldn't apply?

Last edited by joeblow on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ecksor
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
To say we can't observe evolution is laughably obtuse, considering al the data we have amassed. It's like saying you can't document the evolution in automobile design. A child can do it, without ever being privy to the inner workings at car companies. You can observe what came earliest, and all the various iterations between then and now.

So a child can "observe what came earliest, and all the various iterations between then and now." I assume you are still talking about your example of the "evolution in automobile design." Those are gifted kids that can do this by simple observation. Without having watched or read and period pieces that show what old cars used to look like. If you lined up model cars from each decade... I don't know how many kids could actually order them chronologically.

And I'm wondering if your post was in response to mine. Because while the design has evolved, an automobile is still an automobile. My statement was that we haven't observed evolution from one species to an entirely new one.

If we have seen this process occur, please share with me the data. Everyone knows that it takes time for the latest research to show up in textbooks. Mine never told me about such things happening. And as of late, my rare trips into the primary literature has been limited to the medical science side.

Last edited by ecksor on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject:

We're still learning about the foundations of the universe and what it's made of. We shouldn't expect that our knowledge right now is absolute law. For example, we had no idea what quarks were 50 years ago. That's why scientific experiments using tools such as the LHC are so exciting.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject:

^^^ I agree! I am just asking about the resolution end of the movie even though the opening credits aren't yet over so the entire show can clearly spell it out. We're thousands of years from that, lol. The questions are completely rhetorical because, as you say, the answers aren't there.

However, specifically regarding the last paragraph I just edited in as you were posting, it is that "conclusion" that I am most eager to somehow get a sense of "answers" from some possibile scientific theories. I hope Hawkings new book will address these interesting issues directly.

Last edited by joeblow on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Paging Larry and John.
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:

This thread makes me want to move out of the United States to a European nation such as Sweeden. It's no wonder the rest of the world laughs at our stupidity and educational system as a whole.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
How is it not? I'm not arguing in any of the questions I've posted... I'm just looking for leads that point to some logical, scientific direction that directly address these incongruencies.

The laws of the universe as we now understand it seem to clearly reject the notion that anything can be made from nothing. See that table over there? That's something. It is made of wood. That wood came from a tree. That tree grew from some kind of seed or acorn (dropped by an earlier tree).

That seed is made up of atoms, and at some point either those atoms (or the sub atomic particles that make up atoms) either came from nothing, or they always existed. Is there any other scientific possibility?

If they came from nothing, how can something come from nothing? If they always existed, then there is no true origin of everything, just an orgin of our collection of everything we call our universe. That part I can see (which allows for other concepts like other dimensions, etc.).

However, even beyond all that you still have the main issue asked.... how can everything always be in some kind of existance (existing even outside of the concept of time) even if you discount everything coming from nothing? Either one of those concepts seem to conflict in major ways with the laws of physics, mathmatecal principals, and other laws/theories commonly used as tools to explain the reality around us.

And if those tools that we use like physics, math, and science did not exist 'prior' to the Big Bang (I know, an oxymoron since there was no time prior to the Big Bang), how are those tools even accepted as part of the discussion for activities and events outside the scope of their abilities?

You don't use a thermometer to determine the speed of a lion. It is the wrong tool for the job. How can science explain a pre-science existence if science hadn't yet been invented, and therefore those scientific concepts clearly wouldn't apply?

Because science doesn't attempt to explain things that happened outside of the laws of physics as we know them. We know that the universe is expanding and it's finite, so does that imply that the universe is expanding into some other realm and that there is something outside of the universe in existence? Perhaps, but science can't answer what's out there because it's outside of our universal laws. It's not a scientific question because you can't test it, it's outside the laws of physics. You're trying to apply universal laws to things that are pre (or exo)-universe, that's a big scientific no-no.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject:

Ok, I see your point. In fact, you come to the same conclusion I did at the end of my post, two entries up. Science only goes so far. Once you discuss realities that science is not equipped to address, you have to use a different tool to evaluate.

But the main point is this: there are indeed REALITIES that exist where science is not equipped to address. That concept is what fascinates me the most.

So if we are talking internally, which is to say, all areas in which our science rules hold up, then we can call that 'Science B' for our discussion. For realities that exist outside of this internal universe of ours, and external science if you will, we can describe that as 'Science A'. Is that fair?

Last edited by joeblow on Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
tlim
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Mongo wrote:

So, because you can't see the smallest movement of time, time has not been observed either?

But more to the point, actually, it HAS been seen. E. Coli tests have shown that it made a jump in evolution. And we've discussed this in the past.
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:

This whole discussion seems odd to me. Are we talking about evolution, or are we talking about the origins of the universe...or maybe a theory of everything.

Regarding the origins of the universe, science does not disregard the fact that we don't know what caused the big bang, or we don't know why it happened, but science has done a pretty good job of figuring out what happened right up until the very beginning of our universe. And scientists will continue to try to learn what caused the big bang in the first place...and if we ever figure that out, I'm sure we'll be figuring out what happened before that...it is a never ending scientific quest to understand our universe, why we are here, etc.

Evolution is a different topic from the origins of the universe in my opinion. I am no scientist, but c'mon now, this is one of the most studied theories in the history of science. There is a reason why those who claim that the theory of evolution is not right are ridiculed by the scientific community. Most of those that I'm aware of who discount the theory of evolution do so because of their "beliefs", not because of science.

And as long as we are talking about multiple scientific topics in one thread, I was watching this great show on Fractal Geometry which really made me start to wonder about how things grow, DNA, the simplicity and infinite complexity of life. What an amazing place we live.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12
Jump to: