Official 2016 NFL Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Official 2016 NFL Thread

Time for another year of players getting arrested, Patriots finding another way to cheat, the Browns still sucking, perplexing rules and calls, another thread, and probably also some football.

Some big questions this offseason:

1. Will Peyton retire?
2. Will the Rams make the kind of dent in the LA sports landscape the NFL wishes for?
3. Where will poor pocket passers Manziel, RGIII with troubling off field issues (aka the jodeke awards) land?
4. Is Megatron really gone (And so is Stafford's career)?
5. Who's franchised

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Tark the Shark
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:08 pm    Post subject:

1. Yes
2. Not until the new stadium is completed
3. Manziel - Toxic; RGIII - Rams/Texans
4. Yes and yes
5. Don't care
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Agree with Tark, except RGIII to Dallas
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Agree mostly. My side bet is RG3 to the Rams. They need a QB, he could be a buy low candidate who could rebound nicely. He's potentially a star in LA if he can recapture any of his rookie form too. If he can rush with more confidence than in recent memory, him and Gurley could be lethal together.

If the above were somehow true, the Rams could make a little noise in LA.

Also, consider the irony of getting 3 firsts and a second, then still getting Griffin a few years later

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
MojoRisin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Agree mostly. My side bet is RG3 to the Rams. They need a QB, he could be a buy low candidate who could rebound nicely. He's potentially a star in LA if he can recapture any of his rookie form too. If he can rush with more confidence than in recent memory, him and Gurley could be lethal together.

Also, consider the irony of getting 3 firsts and a second, then still getting Griffin a few years later

I dont understand why people always say washington gave up 3 firsts. They swapped first rd picks in that draft and washington gave them 2 future first round picks.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 2016 NFL Thread

rwongega wrote:
Time for another year of players getting arrested, Patriots finding another way to cheat, the Browns still sucking, perplexing rules and calls, another thread, and probably also some football.

Some big questions this offseason:

1. Will Peyton retire?

He'd be an idiot not to. But who knows? Given his penchant for crappy beer, pizza and political candidates, he probably is one.

Quote:
2. Will the Rams make the kind of dent in the LA sports landscape the NFL wishes for?

There's a pretty good buzz here in LA. I'm not sure what the NFL is hoping for, but I am pretty sure they will not be disappointed in the results of finally getting a team here.

Quote:
3. Where will poor pocket passers Manziel, RGIII with troubling off field issues (aka the jodeke awards) land?

Careful, you'll end up on the old man's "ignore list" - not sure that's company you want to be associated with.

Quote:
4. Is Megatron really gone (And so is Stafford's career)?

I don't think Calvin is bluffing. Let me ask a question. Does Stafford have a career?

Quote:
5. Who's franchised

Denver might lose their QB, but there's no way they want to lose their OLB.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Go Rams!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Go Rams!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxkKlzInR4Y
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject:

MojoRisin wrote:
Moses wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I dont understand why people always say washington gave up 3 firsts. They swapped first rd picks in that draft and washington gave them 2 future first round picks.

Because they did give up 3 firsts, they just got one back from the Rams.

If they had taken the Rams pick without giving up their first round pick that year, then that would be 2 firsts.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Go Dolphins. (Though we're in a endless cycle of mediocrity)

And please change back to the old logo and uniforms. It's so lame watching those dull-looking uni's.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
32 wrote:
Go Rams!

This is the first time I have seen this.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I hope the Coliseum has good maintenance crews because with USC football on Saturdays and Rams football on Sundays that grass field is gonna get beat up.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:24 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
32 wrote:
Go Rams!

This is the first time I have seen this.

Pretty awesome, right?

"RAM IT!"
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Rams release LB James Laurinaitis, DE Chris Long and TE Jared Cook

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
I hope the Coliseum has good maintenance crews because with USC football on Saturdays and Rams football on Sundays that grass field is gonna get beat up.

At one point the Rams shared the Coliseum with BOTH SC and UCLA, and I don't recall it being a problem ("recall" being the operative word). I think grounds crew maintenance has likely improved in the last 30 years.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:20 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/28/report-matt-hasselbeck-not-expected-back-with-colts/

Quote:
Report: Matt Hasselbeck not expected back with Colts

Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck said recently that Colts coach Chuck Pagano told him that the Colts would love to have him back for another season to serve as Andrew Luck’s backup, but there may have been a change of heart in Indianapolis.

Michael Silver of NFL Media reports that the Colts have let Hasselbeck know that he isn’t currently in the team’s plans for 2016. That would leave Josh Freeman, who signed with the Colts late last season and started the season finale with Luck, Hasselbeck and Charlie Whitehurst injured, in position to be the No. 2 in Indianapolis.

Hasselbeck was unsure if he would return for the 2016 season, which would be his 18th in the NFL, after the year ends and, per Silver, is uncertain if he wants to play for another team. If he decides that he does, he should find a strong market for backup jobs. Hasselbeck’s work in place of Luck last season was generally good and there aren’t any other backup options on the market with his amount of starting experience.

The Colts also have Stephen Morris under contract at quarterback for 2016.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

http://my.xfinity.com/articles/sport...orts_media_nfl

Quote:
James Harrison, Steelers cruise ship help to rescue stranded rafters

It appears as though the Legends of Pittsburgh Cruise turned into an unexpected opportunity for the Steelers' James Harrison, among others, to step into a hero role in the Gulf of Mexico on Saturday.

The veteran linebacker was among those Steel City celebs on a four-day jaunt through Miami, Key West and Cozumel when the ship apparently spotted a homemade raft with 16 people aboard floating aimlessly in the middle of the body of water.

Harrison took to Instagram to post photos, noting that the cruise ship stopped to help the stranded 16 while awaiting help from the Coast Guard.

Among the other Pittsbrugh legends on the boat: Rocky Bleier, Antonio Brown, Dermontti Dawso, Donnie Shell, former Pirate catcher Manny Sanguillen and ex-Penguins Ken Wregget, Bryan Troittier and Francois Leroux.

(Update via The Associated Press: Carnival spokeswoman Jennifer de la Cruz said the Carnival Sensation found the 15 men and one woman about 50 miles north of Cuba and brought them aboard. Coast Guard Petty Officer Jon-Paul Rios said they would be turned over to Mexican immigration officials at the ship's next stop, Cozumel.)
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/02/28/york-seems-to-say-49ers-wont-grant-kaepernick-permission-to-seek-trade/

Quote:
York seems to say 49ers won’t grant Kaepernick permission to seek trade

As it turns out, the item from Sunday morning regarding 49ers owner Jed York’s position on quarterback Colin Kaepernick came from a much longer interview of York by Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News. The rest of the hour-long discussion has been posted in multiple chunks by Purdy, and it contains more from York on the team’s enigmatic once-and-perhaps-future franchise quarterback.

Asked directly about the reports that Kaepernick’s agents have requested permission to seek a trade, York was dismissive.

“I haven’t talked to his people,” York said. “And I try to stay away from what the agents say. I know what our feeling is. We want Kap to be healthy. And we’d like to see Kap here.”

Asked specifically whether the team will grant the request for permission to seek a trade, York became evasive.

“I think there’s so much tampering that takes place . . . which the NFL has kind of taken the governor off of, a little bit, in terms of what they allow to happen in Indianapolis . . . the tampering that took place in terms of what happens in free agency,” York said. “So would it shock me that people are talking? It wouldn’t shock me. But I think our guys have said very clearly that we’d like Kap to be part of the San Francisco 49ers.”

York’s acknowledgement that the league “has kind of take the governor off” of tampering in Indianapolis presumes there ever was a governor in place. There wasn’t, there hasn’t been, and there will never be. Tampering is rampant every year at the Scouting Combine, primarily as it relates to players poised to become free agents. But as to players like Kaepernick, who remains under contract through 2020 but who apparently wants a change of scenery, York is right. Communications with other teams will occur regardless of whether the 49ers sanction it. And perhaps the most significant aspect of York’s response is that he has become one of the very few NFL executives to actually acknowledge on the record the widespread tampering in which everyone (including the 49ers, most likely) is currently engaged.

Asked one more time for a clear position on whether the request for permission by Kaepernick’s agents to seek a trade will be granted, York avoided providing a direct answer but still responded. Basically, York acknowledges that permission isn’t needed.

“I’ve been around the NFL long enough to know that you don’t need to grant agents permission to make phone calls,” York said. “So, again, we’re not actively doing anything. I can’t stop somebody from reaching out. But our opinion is, we’d like Kap to be here. And I think when you look at what Chip’s offensive philosophy is, I think Kap is a very good fit for that. I think Chip has said that. We expect Kap to be here.”

And there’s the team’s effort to maintain the upper hand when it comes to trade talks. We want him, and we’re not making the first move if someone else wants him more. But if someone else calls and wants to talk about trading for him, we’ll listen. Otherwise, he’ll be on the team this year.

It’s obvious that the 49ers are trying to maximize the market for Kaepernick elsewhere by selling the rest of the league on their desire to keep him. The decision of Kaepernick’s agents to leak to multiple reporters their request for permission to seek a trade undermined San Francisco’s strategy. The team’s response represents the best possible chicken salad recipe they could concoct under the circumstances.

Meanwhile, it’s still unclear whether the 49ers or Kaepernick’s agents leaked to NFL Media the notion that the Texans and Browns are interested in Kaepernick when both teams reportedly aren’t. But it’s clear that’s the next step in getting the phone to ring: Selling the response of the league on the possibility that, if you don’t make a move now, he may be traded to someone else.

The only problem for the 49ers is that, just as York has been around the NFL long enough to know how tampering works, the rest of the NFL has been around the NFL long enough to know exactly what’s going on here. Which means that if anyone actually trades for Kaepernick it won’t be the result of gamesmanship or leverage but because someone else genuinely wants him on the team.

If someone else does, they’re keeping their cards close to the vest. At some point down the road, whether on or after March 9 (if the 49ers sign someone else, like Sam Bradford), on or after April 1 (when Kaepernick’s salary becomes fully guaranteed), or during or after the draft (when another team fails to get the rookie it wants), Kaepernick’s football fate for 2016 will become clear.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000640541/article/sam-bradford-agrees-to-twoyear-36m-eagles-deal?campaign=Twitter_atn

Quote:
Sam Bradford agrees to two-year, $36M Eagles deal

Sam Bradford won't hit the market after all.

The Eagles agreed to a short-term, two-year deal with their quarterback, the team announced on Tuesday just after the franchise tag deadline. Bradford was not under consideration for the tag.

The deal is worth $36 million over the life of the deal, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, per a source who has seen the deal. Bradford will receive $22 million guaranteed at signing, which balloons to $26 million when injury guarantees are added. The deal includes an $11 million signing bonus and he will make a $7 million base salary in 2016 with $4 million guaranteed in 2017.

The pact is a calculated risk for the 28 year old, who likely would not have broken the bank in free agency after a disappointing season in Philadelphia. The length of the contract gives him two years in a passer-friendly system at a more-than-fair market value, and the chance to hit the market again at age 30. Bradford turned 28 in November. It also helps the Eagles avoid their rolodex of backup plans, which could have included Chiefs backup Chase Daniel or selecting a rookie in this year's draft.

The Bradford contract will now have a major impact in free agency as similarly nebulous free agents like Ryan Fitzpatrick and Brock Osweiler prepare to hit the market. Bradford threw for 3,725 yards, 19 touchdowns and 14 interceptions last year.

Bradford is one of the most interesting players in the NFL. Evaluators swear that he was the cleanest and most NFL-ready prospect to come out in more than a decade before Andrew Luck was selected No. 1 overall in 2012. His development, however, has been marred by poor luck with injuries and a revolving door of offensive coordinators in St. Louis and then under Chip Kelly in Philadelphia. For some, he still represents great, untapped potential. For others, he is simply not the quarterback he was projected to be.

The Eagles are taking a fairly wise route to find out -- they can wash their hands of the deal entirely after two years. By pairing him with a former NFL quarterback as a head coach -- Doug Pederson -- and placing him under the blanket of an Andy Reid-style offense, the Eagles are giving Bradford perhaps his best and final chance at showing his worth.

The average per year on Bradford's deal ($18 million/season) places him tied for 14th among NFL starters alongside Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo. His guarantee percentage (72 percent) places him third among active quarterbacks behind Philip Rivers and Eli Manning, albeit on a deal half as long.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:11 pm    Post subject:

Eagles trade LB Kiko Alonso & CB Byron Maxwell to the Dolphins for undisclosed draft picks.

Didn't they only trade McCoy for Alonso last year?

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
Conker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Washington released RG3.
K28
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject:

I have officially stopped giving a (bleep) about the NFL.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
Eagles trade LB Kiko Alonso & CB Byron Maxwell to the Dolphins for undisclosed draft picks.

Didn't they only trade McCoy for Alonso last year?

Talk about killing two birds with one stone. Needed LB and CB help and got em. Granted Alonzo is injury prone and Maxwell took a huge and unsurprising tumble after leaving Seattle, but they're definite upgrades.

Edit: Rumor is Eagles get 4th and 7th and Miami gets back a 5th.

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject:

DeMarco Murray traded to the Titans. And so the cleaning house from Chip Kelly's House of Horrors continues...

RIP Jonathan Tang
RIP Alex Gruenberg

Free KBCB
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Conker wrote:
Washington released RG3.
Welcome to the Rams?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 103, 104, 105  Next
Page 1 of 105
Jump to: