Dodgers 2022 thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 430, 431, 432, 433, 434  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:25 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Red Sox rumors: J.D. Martinez took less money to reunite with Mookie Betts in L.A. (report)

Former Red Sox slugger J.D. Martinez took less than what other teams were offering to sign with the Dodgers at least in part because he wanted to be reunited with former Boston teammate Mookie Betts.

On Monday, The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal reported that Martinez, who agreed to a one-year, $10 million deal with Los Angeles on Saturday, wanted to be in Los Angeles so he could play alongside Betts and work with Dodgers hitting instructor Robert Van Scoyoc, who was his personal hitting guru before working for Los Angeles.

Agent Scott Boras told Rosenthal that Martinez could have signed in the $16-17 million range.

“(Dodgers president of baseball operations) Andrew Friedman and Mookie were like college coaches seeking the big recruit,” Boras told Rosenthal. “J.D. was fully aware of the recent signings and took $6 million to $7 million below his value.

I don't believe anything Scott Boras says.

Agreed but considering Gallo got 11mill and KK got 9mill it makes some sense.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Thought this was pretty funny...

Pete Hoffman
@TheHoffWFAN
·
6h
There's an issue with Carlos Correa's physical.

It's not a back issue. It's not a shoulder.

The medical term I'm hearing is COLD FEET.

Yeah because Zaidi wants nothing to do with this deal. It’s pressure from ownership to spend $ and in the end even though Zaidi went along with it he now has an excuse to get out of it. That’s my theory of course.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject:

My God, the Mets are just torpedoing the luxury tax! Look at this! I guess Correa plays third base for them? I don't think Lindor would move to second, but you know, maybe I'm wrong, who knows. Anyway, wow. They are really going for it.

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
21s
Breaking: Carlos Correa and the Mets have a deal. $315M, 12 years.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:47 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
My God, the Mets are just torpedoing the luxury tax! Look at this! I guess Correa plays third base for them? I don't think Lindor would move to second, but you know, maybe I'm wrong, who knows. Anyway, wow. They are really going for it.

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
21s

I hope that deal completely blows up in their face.

Also, I am 100% positive we're going to get another lockout when the CBA is up next. These long contracts remind of me of where the NHL was at before they lost a year, signing 15-year deals and whatnot.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:01 am    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
21s

Also, I am 100% positive we're going to get another lockout when the CBA is up next. These long contracts remind of me of where the NHL was at before they lost a year, signing 15-year deals and whatnot.

I'm not so sure, MLB was awash in cash and revenue before the pandemic, and I think now with the fans back, teams are in a much better position as we move forward. I also think that with so much recent labor unrest, and with how the last deal came together with major concessions from the owners, I actually think that Manfred is cognizant of the fact that they were doing major damage to the game with the labor disputes. And recent free agency periods were so down, it seemed. Now it's perking back up. I could be wrong, but I don't think the league wants to go right back to such contentious CBA stuff. I view these contracts as a sign that the sport is in very good financial shape, even if baseball continues to lose market share to the younger population.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:02 am    Post subject:

You have to wonder if it's something relating to his back.

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
4m
Correa’s camp and the Giants had a difference of opinion on the medical, and agent Scott Boras worked out a deal with Steve Cohen. “We needed one more thing. And this was it,” Cohen said.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:03 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Jon Heyman
@JonHeyman
·
21s

I'm not so sure, MLB was awash in cash and revenue before the pandemic, and I think now with the fans back, teams are in a much better position as we move forward. I also think that with so much recent labor unrest, and with how the last deal came together with major concessions from the owners, I actually think that Manfred is cognizant of the fact that they were doing major damage to the game with the labor disputes. And recent free agency periods were so down, it seemed. Now it's perking back up. I could be wrong, but I don't think the league wants to go right back to such contentious CBA stuff. I view these contracts as a sign that the sport is in very good financial shape, even if baseball continues to lose market share to the younger population.

I hope you're right, because I'd hate to lose any baseball. I just see these 12-13 year deals being signed, and everyone knows the teams only expect like maybe 6-8 good years, so it's just blatantly giving the middle finger to the luxury tax.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:14 am    Post subject:

QFTOS after no Correa. I almost feel sorry for the fans. NOT.

Quote:
This organization is a (bleep) embarrassment.
(bleep) farhan. (bleep) Correa. (bleep) all this (bleep). I'm Done with baseball.
DO NOT GIVE ANY MONEY TO THIS TEAM. DO NOT WATCH THE GAMES. DO NOT GO TO GAMES. DO NOT BUY MERCHANDISE.

Quote:
did he pull out or was the physical real? if the physical thing is real time to just boycott giving this team money

Quote:
Charles Johnson needs to sell the team - seriously, I have had it with him. Blame Farhan all you want, but these other teams have engaging ownership not only willing to spend but are excited to do it.
This dude would rather be focusing on Herschel Walker’s campaign than pining for a free agent publicly. It’s embarrassing and deserved at this point. Stop giving him your money or show up in paper bags with signs if you do.

Quote:
Correa just changed his header on twitter. It’s over, i’ve never been more disappointed in an off-season as a fan.

Quote:
I’m straight up not watching baseball until something completely changes. $0 invested until they invest in us

Quote:
This organization is (bleep) garbage now. I don’t know how it’s even possible to botch an off-season this badly. No more money from me. Farnhan and crew can (bleep) off

Quote:
Lmao. Oh no, we suck again!

Quote:
Maybe they found a buzzer embedded under his skin

Quote:
We better go absolutely nuclear on an Ohtani deal within the year, or mark my words, we'll be the Oakland A's in less than 3 years.
To everyone saying the "doomers" were being unreasonable, crawl back into your (bleep) holes

Quote:
LOL. I had a feeling this was going to happen.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:25 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:

Quote:
Maybe they found a buzzer embedded under his skin

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject:

Heyman tweeted that Correa will, indeed, play third base for the Metropolitans. Their payroll is up to about $380MM lol.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:03 am    Post subject:

The Giants offseason went from trying to land Aaron Judge....to now landing nobody?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:15 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
The Giants offseason went from trying to land Aaron Judge....to now landing nobody?

and why are we Dodger fans laughing? our front office didn't do sh*t either. i think it's a trend in LA pro sports, pissing away last few years of super stars. Lakers did it with Kobe, now doing it with LeBron, Dodgers doing it with Betts and Freeman.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

and why are we Dodger fans laughing? our front office didn't do sh*t either. i think it's a trend in LA pro sports, pissing away last few years of super stars. Lakers did it with Kobe, now doing it with LeBron, Dodgers doing it with Betts and Freeman.

Big difference. The Dodgers weren't planning on signing any big name free agents to get under from the luxury taxes and to spend big next offseason.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Dave Palet
@DavePalet

The @Mets payroll is almost $500 Million and they're expected to keep spending! This is bad news for the @Dodgers who were hoping to sign Shohei Ohtani and the @padres who were hoping to sign Juan Soto to an extension. There's no stopping the Mets!

Quote:
scurf.eth
@NickScurfield

Silver lining for Dodgers fans is they no longer have to worry about having the highest payroll in MLB and not winning the World Series
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:

Our front office has been putting together a contending team for awhile now. Even now we are still a contender. We just need to be patient for 1 year.

Besides it's the giants. News like this is funny.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Palet
@DavePalet

The @Mets payroll is almost $500 Million and they're expected to keep spending! This is bad news for the @Dodgers who were hoping to sign Shohei Ohtani and the @padres who were hoping to sign Juan Soto to an extension. There's no stopping the Mets!

Quote:
scurf.eth
@NickScurfield

Silver lining for Dodgers fans is they no longer have to worry about having the highest payroll in MLB and not winning the World Series

That is insane. They are going all in. I predict they'll have the best record in mlb next year. Their pitching staff is just brutal.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Palet
@DavePalet

Quote:
scurf.eth
@NickScurfield

That is insane. They are going all in. I predict they'll have the best record in mlb next year. Their pitching staff is just brutal.

deGrom must have really hated it there. The way they’re spending, I’d be shocked if they didn’t offer him a similar deal to what he got with Texas.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:19 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Palet
@DavePalet

Quote:
scurf.eth
@NickScurfield

They have a pretty good lineup on paper. We will see how that translates to actual on field performance.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject:

The Mets' infield is insane. Gotta be the best in MLB, up there with St Louis.

Quote:
Mets' infield:

3B: Correa
SS: Lindor
2B: Jeff McNeil
1B: Pete Alonso

Quote:
Cardinals' infield:

3B: Arenado
SS: DeJong
2B: Edman
1B: Goldschmidt

Now, compared to ours:

Quote:
Dodgers' infield:

3B: Muncy
SS: Lux
2B: Busch/Taylor?
1B: Freeman

Are we even better than the Padres' infield?

Quote:
Padres' infield:

3B: Machado
SS: Bogaerts
2B: Kim
1B: Cronenworth

Yeah, our outfield is ass right now so we're depending alot on our infield + catcher to produce and carry the team.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject:

aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Palet
@DavePalet

Quote:
scurf.eth
@NickScurfield

Devil's advocate take: what if Verlander and Scherzer all of a sudden show their age and decline significantly? I wouldn't dismiss that possibility. Also, Diaz was ordinary in 2021, Quintana had been in the wilderness for years before last year, and Senga is no sure thing.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
aprevo15 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Dave Palet
@DavePalet

Quote:
scurf.eth
@NickScurfield

Devil's advocate take: what if Verlander and Scherzer all of a sudden show their age and decline significantly? I wouldn't dismiss that possibility. Also, Diaz was ordinary in 2021, Quintana had been in the wilderness for years before last year, and Senga is no sure thing.

Yeah thought about the age. That's why I said next year. After that I really feel that their age will start to show. So I would say they have a 1 year window of winning it all.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:30 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bill Shaikin
@BillShaikin

With Justin Turner off to Boston, the players in Dodgers' Game 6 in 2020:

Gone (10): Turner, Seager, Hernandez, Bellinger, Pollock, Pederson, Rios, Wood, Floro, Baez.

Remaining (9): Betts, Muncy, Smith, Taylor, Barnes, Gonsolin, Gonzalez, Graterol, Urias.

Man, I forgot about Gonzalez being on the team and how significant he was in 2020. Dude just fell off the face of the earth.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 pm    Post subject:

- The Mets are now tied with Houston as WS favorites at +650

- The Mets' estimated luxury tax payments is at $111M. Wow.

- Their payroll is around $380MM + that $111M tax = ~$490M

- The Mets have long passed the Steve Cohen tax threshold ($293M) which means every dollar over this amount gets taxed at 90%.

Correa makes $26.25M a year. Taxed at 90% means he'll cost the Mets: $49.88M this year. I think he'll cost 110% next yr if they're over again, which comes out to: $55.13M.

And then, you figure in if they want to chase Ohtani next year. If they give Ohtani $50M a year, it'll cost them: $105M a year.

Man, that's just ridiculous spending.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject:

Its either gonna be glorious or its gonna blow up in their faces like the Nets. Chances are its most likely the latter as chemistry is a huge factor in the MLB playoffs.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
- The Mets are now tied with Houston as WS favorites at +650

- The Mets' estimated luxury tax payments is at $111M. Wow.

- Their payroll is around $380MM + that $111M tax = ~$490M

- The Mets have long passed the Steve Cohen tax threshold ($293M) which means every dollar over this amount gets taxed at 90%.

Correa makes $26.25M a year. Taxed at 90% means he'll cost the Mets: $49.88M this year. I think he'll cost 110% next yr if they're over again, which comes out to: $55.13M.

And then, you figure in if they want to chase Ohtani next year. If they give Ohtani $50M a year, it'll cost them: $105M a year.

Man, that's just ridiculous spending.

Could you imagine if his bid for the Dodgers was accepted and he was doing this here?

The same fans who are upset at the current group for resetting the luxury tax would probably be just as upset as having a $500M team that doesn't win the WS.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 430, 431, 432, 433, 434  Next
Page 431 of 434
Jump to: