Minimum post count before starting a thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark_in_Tulsa
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:26 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Marty wrote:
24 wrote:
I vote 100 posts or 30 days, whichever comes later...

100 posts AND 30 days = much better LG.

That would be even better.

Good idea.

Even better would be if new people couldn't post until their post count was 100.

30 days at 3.5 posts per day to hit 100 isn't a lot to ask before someone can start threads considering how man y lame threads are started by people with 2 posts who've been on the site for a two hours.

I think my post went over your head.

---George Carlin
NoobyBrown
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New policy -- minimum post count before starting a thread

I think this will prove to be an excellent move!
Yes I freakin hate Kwame Brown with a passion! Stu Lanz @ Shannon Brown Dunk vs Suns 11/12/09 "That is absolutely illegal, you shouldn't be able to do that... unless you are able to do that... and he is."
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:

I know some people feel there should be a zero tolerance policy on everything in the lounge being Laker-related, but I think it is good that the mods are making certain exceptions. A blockbuster trade (like DWill or Perkins) that most everyone on LG wants to talk about even though it is only tangentially related to the Lakers is one of those worthy exceptions.

Things should go where they belong. Like non-Laker trades going in General NBA. If the DWill trade is considered "tangentially" related to the Lakers, then anything that takes place can be interpreted as tangentially so.

If you start allowing exceptions, how do you properly and distinctly define those exceptions? What one person thinks is an acceptable exception may not be viewed as so by others. Quantifying something interpretative is pretty difficult and leaves the Mods with trying to sort out what truly is and isn't - thuse leading to countless "How come my thread was moved but XXXX wasn't"? PMs and post in the User Feedback area. Trust me, this I know from previous experience as a Mod.

The system as it now is in regards to what belongs well is clear, easy to understand and works fine - when people pay attention to it and follow it.

Think it can get crazy in the Lounge? Just wait until everyone is feeling that their thread is a worthwhile exception. It's bad enough in there at times even WITH clear distinctions about what goes where.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:14 pm    Post subject:

This gives me hope for the future of LG!!

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Great improvement at face value.
I'd say 30 days or 100 posts which ever is greater might work better for Laker lurkers.
GSDunk
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
LarryCoon wrote:

On long-time lurkers getting a dispensation -- I agree, but like I said, let's establish a baseline first before we tweak it. I can see either 100 posts plus 30 days, OR six months.

As I see it, if a lurker hasn't even taken the time to register, they really haven't made an effort to be a part of the community and contribute, so I don't really see they should get any dispensation.

I think they're talking about the longtime lurkers that have already registered but have only a handful of posts. For example, someone that registered in 2004 but only has 56 posts would be granted a special exemption

Probably a good idea
lalakeshow88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject:

I recommended this a long time ago, nice to see my idea was good even though nobody listened.
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I think they're talking about the longtime lurkers that have already registered but have only a handful of posts. For example, someone that registered in 2004 but only has 56 posts would be granted a special exemption

Eh, they can just post on the Game Thread until their post count hits 100. Personally, I'd bump up the minimum to 500 posts, as there will be no shortage of threads (or panic) during the playoffs anyway. I understand this place is for venting, but when you create a thread, you affect the culture of the place.

In any case, THANK YOU MODS for this decision!!! Bring back some sanity to this place.
HCLakersFan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject:

Bout time!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject:

This is a good start.

A reasonable next step would be to give all posters over 100 posts the ability to perform a "Citizen's Ban" on any poster deemed to be detrimental to the site--a judgement that will be completely objective, one made exclusively by the troublesome poster's peers in the specific thread, and the fate of posters who are so marked should be presented at a tribunal of ten sub-mods (any posters) who are online at any given time.

A "Citizen's Ban" shall be be enforced by the banned poster's voluntary cooperation in not posting until their fate is determined by the tribunal and the Citizen's Ban shall be reinforced by an actual ban, or, at maximum, death by firing squad.

This policy will make LG the greatest site in the world. Thanks for making it happen.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Mark_in_Tulsa wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:
Marty wrote:
24 wrote:

100 posts AND 30 days = much better LG.

That would be even better.

Good idea.

Even better would be if new people couldn't post until their post count was 100.

30 days at 3.5 posts per day to hit 100 isn't a lot to ask before someone can start threads considering how man y lame threads are started by people with 2 posts who've been on the site for a two hours.

I think my post went over your head.

Sarcasm meter was broken. Whoops.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
babyskyhook wrote:

I know some people feel there should be a zero tolerance policy on everything in the lounge being Laker-related, but I think it is good that the mods are making certain exceptions. A blockbuster trade (like DWill or Perkins) that most everyone on LG wants to talk about even though it is only tangentially related to the Lakers is one of those worthy exceptions.

Things should go where they belong. Like non-Laker trades going in General NBA. If the DWill trade is considered "tangentially" related to the Lakers, then anything that takes place can be interpreted as tangentially so.

If you start allowing exceptions, how do you properly and distinctly define those exceptions? What one person thinks is an acceptable exception may not be viewed as so by others. Quantifying something interpretative is pretty difficult and leaves the Mods with trying to sort out what truly is and isn't - thuse leading to countless "How come my thread was moved but XXXX wasn't"? PMs and post in the User Feedback area. Trust me, this I know from previous experience as a Mod.

The system as it now is in regards to what belongs well is clear, easy to understand and works fine - when people pay attention to it and follow it.

Think it can get crazy in the Lounge? Just wait until everyone is feeling that their thread is a worthwhile exception. It's bad enough in there at times even WITH clear distinctions about what goes where.

DMR-

I hear you, and you know I respect your opinion a great deal.

I'm not saying there should be many exceptions, as I agree with you that anarchy would soon rule.

But I thought it was good that those two trades were left in the lounge as they wee such huge shockers and by having one thread for each in the lounge it prevented 20 new ones from being started. I'm not saying it's good that people would have otherwise started threads, but I feel like that's what would have happened. So I guess I see it as preventative medicine. Plus- both of those trades were events that almost everyone on here wanted to discuss so they were at least relevant to most of the people on LG.

But whether or not we agree that something like the Perk or DWill trade belonged in the lounge, having a sticky Welcome thread at the top of the Lounge with an initial post that breaks down the basic do's and don'ts of LG seems like a no-brainer to me.

Do you agree ?
methodman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject:

I like it. Sounds like a good idea. I'm actually just writing this to pad my post count.
rwongega
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Good, it should get rid of most trolls. Then all we have to do is reset CandyCanes's post count and joined date.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:36 pm    Post subject:

I hope it doesn't reward over-posting.

We want to encourage people to write good, interesting and thoughtful posts each time they bother - we don't want to see the constant:

I agree

(quotes previous guy)

[enter pointless ad hom attack]

(enter pointless adjectives)

Type posts.

Remember ... a persons post count really doesn't reflect a whole lot. I've been on this board for like a decade - I only decided to join whenever it says so on my avatar (don't even know). People shouldn't be penalized for being polite and abstaining when they have nothing new to contribute.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:38 pm    Post subject:

rwongega wrote:
Good, it should get rid of most trolls. Then all we have to do is reset CandyCanes's post count and joined date.

It won't take long to put together 100 semi-passable posts; then you've got an even more insidious type of troll (one with some false credibility).

Join date is more relevant
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
rwongega wrote:

It won't take long to put together 100 semi-passable posts; then you've got an even more insidious type of troll (one with some false credibility).

Join date is more relevant

And according to that theory - I'm the boss of you by a month, haha.
lak_repeat
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject:

I just wanted to post to see how many I had so I knew where I stood.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
This is a good start.

A reasonable next step would be to give all posters over 100 posts the ability to perform a "Citizen's Ban" on any poster deemed to be detrimental to the site--a judgement that will be completely objective, one made exclusively by the troublesome poster's peers in the specific thread, and the fate of posters who are so marked should be presented at a tribunal of ten sub-mods (any posters) who are online at any given time.

A "Citizen's Ban" shall be be enforced by the banned poster's voluntary cooperation in not posting until their fate is determined by the tribunal and the Citizen's Ban shall be reinforced by an actual ban, or, at maximum, death by firing squad.

This policy will make LG the greatest site in the world. Thanks for making it happen.

Why not take it a step further?

Let's have a 24/7 on and off patrol sub-sub mod guard to go around checking each thread for disturbances. Give them temporary ban powers and then call them in front of a sub-tribunal tribunal to see if their actions warrant the attention of a mod tribunal.

Then Lakersground will be the most overly censored and bureaucratic site in the world!

We also need some form of bullets even though this is a virtual world. Maybe we can create some kind of button to "stun" or "taze" the user remotely.

The taze function can be performed by individuals with either a join date before March 2007 or 2000 posts. These arbitrary numbers satisfy me.
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Let's have a 24/7 on and off patrol sub-sub mod guard to go around checking each thread for disturbances. Give them temporary ban powers and then call them in front of a sub-tribunal tribunal to see if their actions warrant the attention of a mod tribunal.

In other words, give the Stooges power to ban. If Larry, Moe, and Curly concur, bye bye!!
dmlakerfan01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:50 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:

Great idea, and give the year long registered lurkers a pass imo. Trolls don't wait that long.

@Larry - Can mods revoke thread creating privileges from users? It's a nice step that isn't a ban, but sends a "damn, gotta chill" message.
phattyljames
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:28 am    Post subject:

great idea!
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:21 am    Post subject:

Good intentions of any policy do get glossed over with bad behavior.

it might behoove lg to set a limit on the # of new-threads/person/<period>
Jan
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject:

Hmmm, I understand and in fact I agree, but there are also long time readers, who come here almost every day and hardly post a message.
Don't ignore them.
Consider that too.
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject:

Lurkers coming out of the closet with this thread.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11
Jump to: