Mass shooting at elementary school in Texas. (19 children & 2 teachers dead)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Also reading in multiple places that the officers got their own kids out before barring other parents from entering.

Yep. And I saw a news report where an official confirmed it.

The cops reposnse is teetering on being as ugly as the actual shooter

And they held up rifles and tasers against family members who tried to enter the school to save their children... better hope nobody seeks revenge against the police force for stopping them from trying to save their child.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Criminal Negligence leading to the death of more people?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Erik Ravelo art installation
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
Also reading in multiple places that the officers got their own kids out before barring other parents from entering.

And they held up rifles and tasers against family members who tried to enter the school to save their children... better hope nobody seeks revenge against the police force for stopping them from trying to save their child.

I really hope this reignites a conversation around the role of police in our society.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I really hope this reignites a conversation around the role of police in our society.

I want the Andy Griffith show and Little House on the Prarie and Highway to Heaven to be my evening TV again like when I was a child too

One of the best vids Sgt Shamar in NY atthe 1%ers protests

Quote:
Where is that in the contract?
These are US CITIZENS...

But they aren't the right citizens.. Corporations are people.. puke!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I stated earlier that police are absolutely worthless in stopping a crime. At the scene and doing nothing. Laughable. Thieves stealing tax payer $.

What are they useful for?

Protect and to serve is about as honest as the war on terror being about our freedom. Truly despicable bastards.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:23 pm    Post subject:

You have to understand the historical role of policing in the United States was about protecting the establishment (rich white males and their institutions), not the people. It's roots are patriarchal and racist (local "slave patrols" became de facto police departments). (I'm talking about policing as an institution. Certainly there are "good" local police forces and individual members of the police force who do try to do the right thing and protect individuals and the community. I'm not saying "cops are bad.")

They protect buildings, banks, Wall Street, the elite, rich white people, corporations, institutions, etc. They aren't really there to protect the "people" as a group.

The "people" are frequently seen as the enemy, especially when they are non-white, women, the young, students and non-Christians, etc. So any student protests, BLM, women's rights protests, etc. are seen as a threat to the established power structure. So the police protect the power structure. In many areas, more traffic citations are issued in black neighborhoods vs white neighborhood. It just goes on and on. In this case the effect is to force the non-white citizens to pay MORE to reinforce the white power structure.

There's a reason why police institutions on Jan. 6th did not initially react to right-wing white male protestors the way they would have reacted to a BLM or women's protest (remember the women peacefully protesting Kavanaugh's hearing - they were forcibly dragged off; and we saw how police attacked BLM protestors). There were two competing white male power groups pitted against one another (Congress vs President's cult of insurrectionists).

The whole idea of policing would have to radically change. But first they would have to admit the above in order to change it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I stated earlier that police are absolutely worthless in stopping a crime. At the scene and doing nothing. Laughable. Thieves stealing tax payer $.

Protect and to serve is about as honest as the war on terror being about our freedom. Truly despicable bastards.

I understand your frustration. I ask you to tender it for a moment and imagine a society without police. Society as we know it would collapse. They are in a sense the lesser of two evils. I chose a policed nation over a non policed.

I'm of the school that teaches there's no need for an ordinary citizen to own an AK-47 or weapons of that ilk.

If you want to shoot them for sport there's a business opportunity. I don't think the businesses would last very long.

I say ban them, make them illegal to privately own. They are a detriment to our citizens as a whole.

To paraphrase a fictional character Mr. Spock "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or one. JMHO.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 26, 2022 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I understand your frustration. I'll ask you to tender it for a moment and imagine a society without police. Society as we know it would collapse. They are in a sense the lesser of two evils. I chose a policed nation over a non policed. JMHO.

Yeah, I mean there definitely has to be a group that enforces the laws and maintains social order, but as we're seeing with situations like this and elsewhere, there's a really really big problem with police as they currently stand. They want to be upheld as paragons and praised for "putting their lives on the line", yet when the rubber hits the road, more often than not, they don't help us when they are put in situations where they need to. And legally, they're not even required too. That's so wrong and so fundamentally screwed up that I actually understand why so many people now rally around getting rid of all police.

So police aren't required to help us ... what can/should we do to defend ourselves? Republicans would say everyone should have a gun, but that doesn't always (or even mostly ever) work either. Almost no politician is willing to look soft on crime, so we continue outfitting our police like if they're about to do a tour in Iraq, and it doesn't do (bleep) except get innocent people killed.

It's a terrible situation all around.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Jo, I agree with you. That said, there has to be a better way to allocate public resources.

https://i.redd.it/v0yovfpkiv191.png

Look at these coward. 40% of the city budget is to fund these cowards to play dress up. For what? Public works, public programs, road work, teachers, so on and so forth get the scraps leftover? This is absurd.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:00 pm    Post subject:

Sorry J, These officers will be named in a lawsuit as "Accomplices"
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

I understand your frustration. I'll ask you to tender it for a moment and imagine a society without police. Society as we know it would collapse. They are in a sense the lesser of two evils. I chose a policed nation over a non policed. JMHO.

If you are a 17 year old boy and your Mother was in that building and the cops DID NOTHING BUT STOP YOU from trying to save your Mothers life.. And she is now one of the victims... your tune would change

If your wife was murdered while those cops sat scared AND lets say they TASED YOU and didn't allow you to try to save your wife....

You would give a clearer definition of quality police help
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

Yeah, I mean there definitely has to be a group that enforces the laws and maintains social order, but as we're seeing with situations like this and elsewhere, there's a really really big problem with police as they currently stand. They want to be upheld as paragons and praised for "putting their lives on the line", yet when the rubber hits the road, more often than not, they don't help us when they are put in situations where they need to. And legally, they're not even required too. That's so wrong and so fundamentally screwed up that I actually understand why so many people now rally around getting rid of all police.

So police aren't required to help us ... what can/should we do to defend ourselves? Republicans would say everyone should have a gun, but that doesn't always (or even mostly ever) work either. Almost no politician is willing to look soft on crime, so we continue outfitting our police like if they're about to do a tour in Iraq, and it doesn't do (bleep) except get innocent people killed.

It's a terrible situation all around.

Therein lies the problem. Training, selectivity, and accountability have to be addressed. The occupation is more than physically demanding. Training should cured to decipher how a candidate reacts to pressure. His/her racial beliefs.ie their thoughts on people of color, be the candidate Black or White. Police mindsets have to be more vetted.

Those in leadership positions have to be held more accountable. Those at the top are not doing their jobs. I think I understand the "Us against them" blue code but IMO it has to be set aside. With great power come great responsibility.

I think there should be an education above the high school requirement. My son has been with LAPD for over 30 years. He started out of high school and now has his Ph.D. Promotional opportunities in the department are rewarded with elevated educational elevation.

Men and women put their lives on the line daily. An officer can be killed making a traffic stop. Finding the right people for that occupation is like finding a cure for cancer, very difficult and demanding.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu May 26, 2022 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

If you are a 17 year old boy and your Mother was in that building and the cops DID NOTHING BUT STOP YOU from trying to save your Mothers life.. And she is now one of the victims... your tune would change

If your wife was murdered while those cops sat scared AND lets say they TASED YOU and didn't allow you to try to save your wife....

You would give a clearer definition of quality police help

Can you say "Poor, indifferent policing?" Would it have been different if the population of Uvalde was 80% caucasian? I think YES. I can't say for sure but it's something I believe. Damn, I hate it when I have to go KBCB.

ChefLinda

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Harry Litman @harrylitman

Tonight, Warriors Coach Steve Kerr will call on people to support Brady and work to prevent gun violence. Before tip-off at 9 p.m. ET, Coach Kerr will display graphics on jumbotrons, allowing attendees to text “change” to 877-877 to donate and urge senate to take up gun reform.

God bless Steve Kerr.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:

How can you stand around outside when you are armed and that is going on at an elementary school?

Sorry, but that is flat out cowardly. Don't take the job if you don't have the intestinal fortitude to act when it is called for and if it was ever called for it was then.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:57 pm    Post subject:

OK, everyone says so what are your ideas to stop this madness.

Two ideas from me:

1. Ban anyone under the Age of 25 (yes 25) from buying any type of gun that fires multiple shots. A single shot gun OK, nothing else if you are under 25.

If you look at the stats, a lot of these demented demons are under the age of 25. The argument that "well they will just get it on the black market" is BS in my mind probably 85% of the time for these morons. What black market for assault rifles? I am not aware of one and I doubt these under 25 year olds know of any either. At least make them work to commit horrible acts, don't make it a cakewalk.

2. No more allowing the Mainstream Media to name them publicly and post pictures of them. While everyone is curious and wants to know, including me, all that does is glorify them to want to try and top the last incident.

I really think a lot of this is designed to have their perverted "big moment" and become "famous" as they know their name will be out there and they will be glorified in some circles. Don't give them that and enforce the ban hard on media entities that don't cooperate.

Will their names still get out there? Of course they will, but when you have Daily Mail posting an article showing the pictures and body counts of the last 6 mass shooters I have to wonder if this is becoming some type of sick contest.

I would be interested in hearing any of your thoughts for actual action, not just thoughts and prayers crap.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Quote:
Harry Litman @harrylitman

Tonight, Warriors Coach Steve Kerr will call on people to support Brady and work to prevent gun violence. Before tip-off at 9 p.m. ET, Coach Kerr will display graphics on jumbotrons, allowing attendees to text “change” to 877-877 to donate and urge senate to take up gun reform.

God bless Steve Kerr.
I'll add my name but I don't donate to online sites. You have to give personal information. I don't trust any online site's integrity.

Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:19 pm    Post subject:

A police lieutenant in Texas actually got on CNN and argued they didn’t go in because they might have gotten shot. Best response I saw to that was “maybe that’s a good argument for banning assault weapons, if the police are too scared to go against them”.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Two ideas from me:

1. Ban anyone under the Age of 25 (yes 25) from buying any type of gun that fires multiple shots. A single shot gun OK, nothing else if you are under 25.

If you look at the stats, a lot of these demented demons are under the age of 25. The argument that "well they will just get it on the black market" is BS in my mind probably 85% of the time for these morons. What black market for assault rifles? I am not aware of one and I doubt these under 25 year olds know of any either. At least make them work to commit horrible acts, don't make it a cakewalk.

2. No more allowing the Mainstream Media to name them publicly and post pictures of them. While everyone is curious and wants to know, including me, all that does is glorify them to want to try and top the last incident.

I really think a lot of this is designed to have their perverted "big moment" and become "famous" as they know their name will be out there and they will be glorified in some circles. Don't give them that and enforce the ban hard on media entities that don't cooperate.

Will their names still get out there? Of course they will, but when you have Daily Mail posting an article showing the pictures and body counts of the last 6 mass shooters I have to wonder if this is becoming some type of sick contest.

I would be interested in hearing any of your thoughts for actual action, not just thoughts and prayers crap.

Ban assault rifles. Full stop. No need for them.

Ban carry of handguns without a permit where you need to pass a psych evaluation, regular training, and have to have a legit reason.

Shotguns only in your house, rifles or handguns at a shooting club or signed out for hunting (in the case of rifles). Licensing training insurance and mental health screening all apply.

Take the prison beds filled with drug users and give them to people who violate gun laws and especially those who use or carry a firearm in commission of a crime. Fine/imprison everyone to the max who engages in black market arms dealing.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:

Two ideas from me:

If you look at the stats, a lot of these demented demons are under the age of 25.

This isn't an age issue. Plenty of mass shooters have been over 25.

This is a weapon capability issue and the only answers lie with acknowledging that fact rather than continuing to make the mistake of pretending there is a justification for weapons and accessories that make mass killings easier.

Quote:
The argument that "well they will just get it on the black market" is BS in my mind probably 85% of the time for these morons. What black market for assault rifles? I am not aware of one and I doubt these under 25 year olds know of any either. At least make them work to commit horrible acts, don't make it a cakewalk.

There's no need for civilian use of assault rifles. None. Period. They are not hunting weapons. They are designed to assault humans. Any excuse that people of ANY age like to use them recreationally is no justification for their existence. There are plenty of things that provide "recreation" for some people that have been banned. We banned the sales of Lawn Darts because of a tiny handful of fatal accidents.

Forget age restrictions on assault weapons, just get rid of them. The serve no purpose outside of military and law enforcement use (though the cops in Uvalde were too cowardly to use theirs in a timely fashion).

Quote:

I don't necessarily disagree there, but it is Band-aid solution that won't change anything. Infamy may be a bonus to some of these guys, but it is never the motivation. None of the mass shooters woke up and said, "I want to be famous, so I'm going to go kill a bunch of people". The motive and impetus always come from a place of extreme hatred and mental imbalance.

Not naming them is never going to stop a mass shooter. And in the case of those who survive the act (the Dylan Roofs etc.) you can't lock them up and put them on trial anonymously.

Quote:

It's really simple and obvious. We need to go back to the assault weapon bans of the past. Get rid of all high capacity options for every style of gun—no one needs to be able to rapidly dispense a couple of dozen rounds.

Implement mandatory background checks for all gun purchases, and for those who, require extensive safety training and licensing, just like we do for driving licenses. Make it harder for the impulse murderer acquire a weapon and provide opportunities for the people they encounter in the process to raise red flags.

I'm tired of people acting like this is a difficult situation to resolve if we really want to. Scotland and Australia took immediate and sweeping action after just ONE mass shooting and have been successful in preventing others.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Seen on the Internet:

The fact that the police are afraid of being outgunned by an AR-15 is all the evidence I need as to why they should be banned.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject:

No body armor on the shooter?

Why are cops allowed to be terrible at their jobs?
So unfit physically and mentally and not even required to be able to shoot a gun

What if they would have told those cops the guy inside was a Muslim Terrorist going to kill the children... would that have moved them to do something because it protects the country?

Just too much to process

Get distraction on him from the hallway and shoot him from the windows the first second you see him...

Could you imagine the Ukrainian police standing around...
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
One of the fourth graders who survived the attack told KENS-TV that when police finally did enter the school building an officer instructed them to yell "help" if they needed it.

"One of the persons in my class said 'help,'" the boy claims. "The guy overheard and shot her."

Wow.

https://people.com/crime/texas-shooter-was-in-school-for-more-than-40-minutes-before-law-enforcement-got-into-locked-classroom/
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject:

So the shooter, 18 years old was able to LEGALLY purchase 2 AR-15 assault rifles? Is this really what happen?

Why the (bleep) does one sell an AR-15 legally? AR-15’s are not used for self defense, they’re used military style to (bleep) now down people.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 8 of 13
Jump to: