Assuming the Lakers had the pick this year, who would you draft?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Thoughts on Drew Timme in the second round?

What are we Indiana now?

Croshere, Hansborough, Lonzo’s former UCLA Teammate forgot his name.

We don’t need a token white guy unless they can really play

Drew Timme.

Do Not Draft list.

Why not?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
Thoughts on Drew Timme in the second round?

What are we Indiana now?

Croshere, Hansborough, Lonzo’s former UCLA Teammate forgot his name.

We don’t need a token white guy unless they can really play

Drew Timme.

Do Not Draft list.

Why not?

There's better players.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Dominic1981 wrote:
I think Holmgren will be a bust. Bad NBA body and can’t take over a game on his own.

So, you'd pass up Gasol? Or Jokic when he was tons thinner and unathletic too?

Yeah, it's going to take him 2-3 years to come along physically, but he's crazy skilled. Whoever drafts him needs to take their time with him and not rush the process. He needs to bulk the F up or his spine is going to be busted by year 3.

I don't think it's anywhere nearly as serious as you think it is.

His low weight is a fairly serious concern IMO. For reference, Durant was 220 coming into the league. BI was around 200. That's one of the reasons both played SG before transitioning into forwards. Chet's body is still developing and they can't rush him into playing 30-35 min a game, especially at the C position. That's the value of NBA teams having world class trainers and nutritionists (even though some are questionable).

1. You're assuming they're rushing a player in.
2. You're assuming he plays center.

You legitimately listed two underweight players that made it into the league and became productive. Chet is a better defender, rebounder, more physical, and more motor than both, but you're doubting him.

That's why I don't think it's anywhere nearly as serious as you think it is.

I'm not exactly sure what you are arguing about. I listed those players because it took them time to adjust, and there will be a learning curve for Chet. P.J. Carlesimo played Durant at SG his first season because he wasn't able to handle the physicality at the forward position. Luke played BI at point because he was also getting roughed up by forwards. Both were able to adjust and deal with the physicality after bulking up. Chet, as a 7 footer, weighs less than both of them when they were rookies. You don't see that as a problem when it comes to physicality? He's going to need to bulk up, especially if he wants to prevent injuries. Theoretically, he could play at PF, and to my knowledge, there are only a few teams running the traditional 2 big lineups with success (Pelicans w/ Hayes and JV and Cavs with Mobley and Allen). If Chet plays PF, he'll still have his work cut out for him. It's not going to be an easy transition for him, even though I'll be rooting for him to succeed. I think the concerns about his weight and strength are valid.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I don't see it as a problem because you're expecting immediate impact, and from the sound of it, you're ranking immediate impact over best player/long term career.

Two big lineups don't traditionally work because there's usually at least one guy has 3pt range. But, Gonzaga did that next to Drew Timme, and even Holmgren has 3pt range. And, unlike other PFs with that length, he can pass too.

I disagree with your assessment in how this all works.

Name a talented skinny lottery player that didn't find long term success at the NBA level.

How dramatic can a 2-big lineup work? It was a starting lineup for a championship Laker lineup with AD/JaVale or Dwight. It put the Cavaliers into playoff contention. Both have "skinny" 4s.

Even did the same with Pau Gasol starting next to Andrew Bynum. Championship there too.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: