I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
…it’s refreshing to see someone win without following the Lakers’ philosophy.

The Nuggets:
1. didn’t pursue as many high priced stars as possible.
2. didn’t blow up team chemistry after being unsuccessful the last few years.
3. value the possibilities of incoming young talent, as evidenced by recent draft pick trading.
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:
1 Justify constant instability with the motto “you need stars to win.”
2. Don’t value chemistry as long as they have Lebron and AD.
3. Only now as Lebron nears his end, MAY finally value their 1st rd pick.
4. Impatiently tried to upgrade KCP, others, and a 1st rd pick.

Lakers mgmt’s way of doing business has frustrated me to no end, ever since Magic’s decisions, and then breaking up the championship team after 2020.

Will the Lakers mgmt take note of Denver’s mgmt style?

As others have noted, a lot of Denver's success is due to the pure luck of a second-rock pick who turned into an MVP. I mean, Denver passed on Jovic themselves in the first round, so like everyone else they had no idea how good he would become. I don't see how that is a strategy that anyone can emulate; Denver couldn't even emulate it.

Beyond that, a lot the Denver "strategy" you list (they saw value in KCP) are the kind of moves every team makes. I mean, everytime a team trades for a player they see some kind of value in him. As far as "not blowing it up," they made a lot of changes between last year and this year.

Beyond that, it's hard to imagine the Lakers are going to look to Denver as a model to follow.

Yeah the idea that they “didn’t pursue as many high priced stars as possible” is a bizarre bit of fiction. They tried to sign LeBron the year we got him. They drafted their high priced stars and then added another $20M guy in Gordon. I’m sure if they had the cap space or assets to get another they would. Denver operated like a small market team and benefitted from tremendous luck in getting an All Time great in the 2nd round. Kudos to them, but the Monday morning QB stuff is tiresome.

Everyone wanted Lebron, so that’s not a newsflash.

Denver didn’t gut their roster to attempt to bring in the next big star. They could have made the same foolish Westbrook trade the Lakers did.

$20 mil doesn’t go as far as it used to anymore, so lets not pretend like that’s the price of a star. Kuzma makes more than that and to many Lakers fans, he’s trash. Reaves could possible be making that much too.

Aaron Gordon was a strategic piece acquired in a trade, but he made only 42% of what stars like Westbrook and Lebron make.

I’d love to see the Lakers have some continuity, being more patient with players who can still improve, while valuing draft picks more than they have. If that’s tiring to you, so be it.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
You don't "build" a roster like the nuggets. You get lucky getting a player like Jokic. Without Jokic, the building is futile.

Without acquiring defenders KCP and Aaron Gordon, Denver wouldn’t have won.

Jokic, Porter, and Murray weren’t enough. None of them are special on defense.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

lakersboy wrote:
ocho wrote:
activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

The Nuggets:
3. value the possibilities of incoming young talent, as evidenced by recent draft pick trading.
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:

Lakers mgmt’s way of doing business has frustrated me to no end, ever since Magic’s decisions, and then breaking up the championship team after 2020.

As others have noted, a lot of Denver's success is due to the pure luck of a second-rock pick who turned into an MVP. I mean, Denver passed on Jovic themselves in the first round, so like everyone else they had no idea how good he would become. I don't see how that is a strategy that anyone can emulate; Denver couldn't even emulate it.

Beyond that, a lot the Denver "strategy" you list (they saw value in KCP) are the kind of moves every team makes. I mean, everytime a team trades for a player they see some kind of value in him. As far as "not blowing it up," they made a lot of changes between last year and this year.

Beyond that, it's hard to imagine the Lakers are going to look to Denver as a model to follow.

Yeah the idea that they “didn’t pursue as many high priced stars as possible” is a bizarre bit of fiction. They tried to sign LeBron the year we got him. They drafted their high priced stars and then added another $20M guy in Gordon. I’m sure if they had the cap space or assets to get another they would. Denver operated like a small market team and benefitted from tremendous luck in getting an All Time great in the 2nd round. Kudos to them, but the Monday morning QB stuff is tiresome.

Everyone wanted Lebron, so that’s not a newsflash.

Denver didn’t gut their roster to attempt to bring in the next big star. They could have made the same foolish Westbrook trade the Lakers did.

$20 mil doesn’t go as far as it used to anymore, so lets not pretend like that’s the price of a star. Kuzma makes more than that and to many Lakers fans, he’s trash. Reaves could possible be making that much too.

Aaron Gordon was a strategic piece acquired in a trade, but he made only 42% of what stars like Westbrook and Lebron make.

I’d love to see the Lakers have some continuity, and valuing draft picks more than they have. If that’s tiring to you, so be it.

The Nuggets did not have cap space to sign LeBron, so they would have been gutting something out if he agreed to play there.

I didn’t say Gordon was the price of a star but $20M is a sizable deal for a 4th guy. They aren’t short on expensive players.

I would also like to see the Lakers have continuity and have advocated for that. Same goes for keeping draft picks. Let’s just be clear about the whole high priced star thing. Next season they’ve got a $46M player, two $34M players and a $21M guy. If you gave them a viable avenue to getting another one they’d do it.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

lakersboy wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

The Nuggets:
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:

You mean you hated the way the Lakers have been managed since 1980?

It's the same ol' formula.

That’s not even a little bit true. During 5 wins and 3 losses, the 80’s Lakers had stability and chemistry that was known for attacking inside with Kareem and running teams off the court. Eventually, Worthy and Scott were more prominent in the offense, especially during Kareem’s last year.
1980 champs featured Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Wilkes, and. Cooper. Beat Philly
‘82 Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Wilkes, Cooper, Rambis. Beat Philly
‘83 Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Wilkes, Cooper, Rambis, drafted Worthy; lost to Philly.
‘84 Kareem, Magic, Cooper, Worthy, Wilkes, traded Nixon for rookie Scott; lost to Boston.
‘85 Kareem, Magic, Cooper, Scott, Rambis, Worthy, Wilkes, drafted AC Green; beat Boston
‘86 Same main guys as ‘85.
‘87 Same main guys as ‘86, plus Mychal Thompson; beat Boston.
‘88 The same main guys, minus Rambis who was selected by expansion franchise Charlotte. Beat Detroit
‘89 - Same main guys again. Were undefeated in the playoffs and would have won again until Byron and Magic pulled hamstrings , then got swept.

Year after year, they maintained necessary and balanced aspects of attacking from the inside, rebounding, fast breaking, defending, outside shooting, and effective point guard play.

They always drafted low because they were a top team every year, but they used their picks on guys like Milt Wagner and David Rivers. Worthy and AC were the best they could do, and they were never traded.

Ultimately, they had continuity that Lebron’s Lakers have never had and it’s not even close.

The NBA Salary cap says hi! It was brought back around 1985 so yeah things change, Lakers adjusted.

Lakers were always built on star power, that was Dr. Buss's MO and he passed it on to Jeanie.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

activeverb wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

The Nuggets:
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:

Jokic, Murray, and Porter tried their best but failed in the past. They’re all very good players, but they badly needed help at things they’re not good at (defense).

Denver gave up Will Barton, a valuable rotational player (and more) to put KCP alongside Murray.

They gave up Gary Harris (and more) to put Aaron Gordon, a valuable defender, next to Jokic and Porter Jr.

Let’s be real. Without defenders being added to their lineup, Denver’s “pure luck” would have ended the same as it always had. The Lakers probably would have beaten them again.

As far as every team making strategic changes, as one poster noted, the Lakers do it impatiently. Yes Denver made changes from last year to this year. Nobody wants or expects to see the exact same team from year to year, but trading should make more sense than the Westbrook trade that sent valuable pieces like KCP, Kuzma, and a 1st rd pick out of town.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

LakerFan1987 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:
LakerFan1987 wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

The Nuggets:
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:

You mean you hated the way the Lakers have been managed since 1980?

It's the same ol' formula.

That’s not even a little bit true. During 5 wins and 3 losses, the 80’s Lakers had stability and chemistry that was known for attacking inside with Kareem and running teams off the court. Eventually, Worthy and Scott were more prominent in the offense, especially during Kareem’s last year.
1980 champs featured Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Wilkes, and. Cooper. Beat Philly
‘82 Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Wilkes, Cooper, Rambis. Beat Philly
‘83 Kareem, Magic, Nixon, Wilkes, Cooper, Rambis, drafted Worthy; lost to Philly.
‘84 Kareem, Magic, Cooper, Worthy, Wilkes, traded Nixon for rookie Scott; lost to Boston.
‘85 Kareem, Magic, Cooper, Scott, Rambis, Worthy, Wilkes, drafted AC Green; beat Boston
‘86 Same main guys as ‘85.
‘87 Same main guys as ‘86, plus Mychal Thompson; beat Boston.
‘88 The same main guys, minus Rambis who was selected by expansion franchise Charlotte. Beat Detroit
‘89 - Same main guys again. Were undefeated in the playoffs and would have won again until Byron and Magic pulled hamstrings , then got swept.

Year after year, they maintained necessary and balanced aspects of attacking from the inside, rebounding, fast breaking, defending, outside shooting, and effective point guard play.

They always drafted low because they were a top team every year, but they used their picks on guys like Milt Wagner and David Rivers. Worthy and AC were the best they could do, and they were never traded.

Ultimately, they had continuity that Lebron’s Lakers have never had and it’s not even close.

The NBA Salary cap says hi! It was brought back around 1985 so yeah things change, Lakers adjusted.

Lakers were always built on star power, that was Dr. Buss's MO and he passed it on to Jeanie.

80-84, before the salary cap was implemented, the Lakers weren’t turning over their roster significantly.

Star is a relative word. Michael Cooper was a star, and he was necessary, but he wasn’t paid like one.

Mitch Kupchak wasn’t a true star, but Buss paid him like one (thus leading to the salary cap) and brought him here to act like one, before his knee gave out early in his first season.

Nowadays, when people like Magic are saying you win with stars, they’re not talking about the Michael Coopers of the world.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Lakersboy, if your point is that the management of the Lakers has been questionable since Dr. Buss died, you will find a lot of support on this board and throughout Laker Nation. So far, so good.

But when you hold up the Nuggets as a reverse image of the Lakers, you're on thin ice. It's not that the Nuggets aren't well run. They are. But they are the flavor of the year because they just won the title. 12 months ago, it was the Warriors. 12 months before that, it was the Bucks. 12 months before that, Rob Pelinka was an incredible, all-time genius who had rekindled the glory of the franchise.

So your criticisms of the Lakers will get some traction, but the comparison to the Nuggets is a stretch.
DanKD
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

lakersboy wrote:

The Nuggets:
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:

Uh, but you do need stars to win. Jokic is the best player in the NBA and Murray is becoming a star as well After being slowed by his injury. The lakers had no stars out of their draft picks so they went and got them.

Bravo to the nuggets but if they don't end up with the best player in the world they aren't winning the chip.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Lakersboy, if your point is that the management of the Lakers has been questionable since Dr. Buss died, you will find a lot of support on this board and throughout Laker Nation. So far, so good.

But when you hold up the Nuggets as a reverse image of the Lakers, you're on thin ice. It's not that the Nuggets aren't well run. They are. But they are the flavor of the year because they just won the title. 12 months ago, it was the Warriors. 12 months before that, it was the Bucks. 12 months before that, Rob Pelinka was an incredible, all-time genius who had rekindled the glory of the franchise.

So your criticisms of the Lakers will get some traction, but the comparison to the Nuggets is a stretch.

The Nuggets are easy, because they won. If I used a losing franchise as an example, it doesn’t hold much water.

This year I was expected to root for Patrick Beverly and other no names, and after the poor showing last year and I refused to do it. I watched and cared less about Lakers basketball than I have since….day 1 because of the constant roster turnover that just didn’t make sense.

I appreciate ANY other team that doesn’t have a ridiculous turnover rate, such as the Lakers seem to have, but I’m not going to cite those teams as examples, because I would get endless responses asking “what have they ever won?” Ultimately, what the Lakers have done just doesn’t make sense, nor does it allow me to root for favorite players consistently, unless it’s AD or Lebron. I have a problem rooting for someone who seems to be constantly stirring the pot. I like to follow players who seem to have a little more humility.

Ultimately, I don’t expect the Lakers to change and be like Denver, or anyone else, but I did hold them up as one particular example of teams that can have success doing it differently. It’s a direct rebuttal to the claim “you NEED stars to win.”

Last edited by lakersboy on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:29 pm; edited 3 times in total
DanKD
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject:

The biggest thing the nuggets did right was not firing their coach prematurely. But they are lucky to have stars who don't have as much of a me first attitude. If the Lakers aren't going to win I'd be happy with someone like Jokic winning a few rings
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

DanKD wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

The Nuggets:
4. Saw value in KCP

In contrast,

The Lakers:

Uh, but you do need stars to win. Jokic is the best player in the NBA and Murray is becoming a star as well After being slowed by his injury. The lakers had no stars out of their draft picks so they went and got them.

Bravo to the nuggets but if they don't end up with the best player in the world they aren't winning the chip.
I realize that stars are needed, but with the salary cap being the way it is, 3 top salaried players, combined with few to no draft picks, some NBA journeymen looking for work, and a couple guys out of the G league, aren’t going to result in a very good team. They’ve proven that.

The Lakers have chased top free agents forever. In ‘96 they got Shaq; circa ‘07, they didn’t get Yao; they missed on Lebron and Bosh; they missed out on KD; they finally got Lebron because he wanted to live in L.A; they missed on Kawhi.

They were fine after they had 2 stars in ‘20, but they weren’t content because “You need stars to win.” They quickly became a team that was hard to like because they mismanaged assets.

Last edited by lakersboy on Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject:

DanKD wrote:
The biggest thing the nuggets did right was not firing their coach prematurely. But they are lucky to have stars who don't have as much of a me first attitude. If the Lakers aren't going to win I'd be happy with someone like Jokic winning a few rings

They talked about the evolution of the slow burn to champion. When built like them it seems like shelf life is a little longer.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DanKD wrote:

They talked about the evolution of the slow burn to champion. When built like them it seems like shelf life is a little longer.
Basically
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject:

No injuries all season iirc... not easy to repeat

Anyhow.. this guy must be seeking Sainthood

“We won because we are not rooting for ourselves…we are rooting for the person next to us. I’m rooting for Jamal and everyone else, and they are rooting for me.”

Jokic after winning the NBA Championship @nuggets
& Finals MVP
https://twitter.com/jeaker/status/1668459655897440257
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Model seems the same to me. Get one of the best players in the world and build around him. You can acquire said player via draft, trade or free agency.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
DanKD wrote:

Ya but the pieces have to come together at the right time. There's so much luck involved that predicting the champion year after year is such a crapshoot. If Murray doesn't heal fully from the ACL, which kept him out for a year, say goodbye to their championship. His percentages dipped and there were times when he didn't look close to the player he was prior to the injury. Somehow, he put it together at the right time. I suppose that highlights the importance of having good trainers and medical staff. Guess those guys deserve a big raise for keeping the team healthy in a league where injuries are the norm.

But you are right... continuity does matter. Vogel should be our coach still. Wish we kept Kuz, KCP. Maybe Nugs don't have a ring w/out KCP. Never let players make personnel decisions. The Westbrook trade shifted the fabric of space time. Who knows...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: I’m Not a Nuggets fan, but…

lakersboy wrote:

Denver really didn't do anything unique in terms of strategy. They drafted, made trades, went after free agents. If they have have a "template," its the same template that many other teams used. The difference is it worked out for Denver, and not for other teams.

But as others pointed out, this is the kind of thread that we see every year. As soon as a team wins a ring, people think they have a magical formula to follow.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

Denver made two smart pick ups in KCP and Bruce Brown.

Their home grown talent is next level ... Jokic, Murray and somewhat MPJ

Let's not fool ourselves and think Ingram, DLo, Lonzo, Randle are even on that level
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Model seems the same to me. Get one of the best players in the world and build around him. You can acquire said player via draft, trade or free agency.
this
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:59 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
The Nuggets are easy, because they won. If I used a losing franchise as an example, it doesn’t hold much water.

Yes, and that’s the point. The Nuggets are really irrelevant.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
this

Basically... and if you can get two, you are killing the game!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 11:55 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
tox wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
this

Basically... and if you can get two, you are killing the game!

Every year the team that wins a ring has oodles of talent. So each year, some fans look at whatever team won that year and thinks its particular path to assembling talent is now THE path.

But there are lots of ways to build a successful team.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:56 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
I do agree with this. I’m down for bringing in talent but it can’t be 100% of the talent. Also, the CBA is making it harder and harder to do so.

Bottom line I hate the feeling of “the window is closing.” Feels like we been in that mode since Bron came over. It’s exhausting. You could argue the window would be bolt shut if he never came over and that’s fair. But call me crazy, the idea of building something that blossoms is much more satisfying to me. Before anyone jumps in and says we are the Lakers we never do that! I present to you Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson. Yes we do. Just not lately.

Two top 10 players of all time.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject:

ThreePointBomber wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
I do agree with this. I’m down for bringing in talent but it can’t be 100% of the talent. Also, the CBA is making it harder and harder to do so.

Bottom line I hate the feeling of “the window is closing.” Feels like we been in that mode since Bron came over. It’s exhausting. You could argue the window would be bolt shut if he never came over and that’s fair. But call me crazy, the idea of building something that blossoms is much more satisfying to me. Before anyone jumps in and says we are the Lakers we never do that! I present to you Kobe Bryant and Magic Johnson. Yes we do. Just not lately.

Yea lol. Just look at all the dudes we drafted from '14-'18. Many are very good players. A couple of All-NBA 3rds. But none is ever gonna be a championship centerpiece. Forget about Kobe/Magic lol.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
ThreePointBomber wrote:
kfkilla wrote:

Yea lol. Just look at all the dudes we drafted from '14-'18. Many are very good players. A couple of All-NBA 3rds. But none is ever gonna be a championship centerpiece. Forget about Kobe/Magic lol.

Those guys are all very good players.

Star players affect the game at a completely different level.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5
Jump to: