should marijuana be legalized?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Tony Montana wrote:
Interesting that most who said "yes" had some interesting reasons given; the only "no" answers gave no justification or explanation...

there's a reason for that.
mbloves L.A.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Get high!
Pigs can't fly!
Flight
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 5:57 am    Post subject:

Drugs are stupid, and they make you stupid.
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject:

da ocho wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:
Interesting that most who said "yes" had some interesting reasons given; the only "no" answers gave no justification or explanation...

What would that be?

To make you happy my sister and her boyfriend was hit head on by a student in her 11th grade year. The boy that crossed the lanes and hit them was high as a kite at the time.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:

I've used it twice everyday between my 14th and 30th year. I'm now in my mid-40's and I haven't had any problem stopping. The whole time I was using it I was able to get through high school, college, a couple of post-graduate studies, and start a career as an engineer. I am still in the same field of work, and the only after-effect from the 16 years of pot use is once in a while not knowing where I left that damn pencil or pen.

If you see how much people make fools of themselves and endanger other people's lives when they're drunk from alcohol, pot should've been legalized decades ago.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
da ocho wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:

What would that be?

To make you happy my sister and her boyfriend was hit head on by a student in her 11th grade year. The boy that crossed the lanes and hit them was high as a kite at the time.

that person did not use the substance responsibly. if you pull up the numbers on fatal car accidents caused by alcohol vs. ones caused by marijuana...the alcohol related ones would overwhelmingly be higher...but the government think people should be trusted to use alcohol responsibly by making it legal. plus, keeping marijuana illegal hardly limits people's opportunities to obtain it.

obviously there should be restrictions on weed...and i'm sure one of the first ones would be that you cannot drive a car while high on pot.

the situation the way it is now is that all the people who want pot are getting it anyway, the government is spending billions of dollars fighting a futile drug war, and the people who are benefiting from it are the criminals. it doesn't make sense.
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject:

It won't ever be legalized due to the fact that even if the government tried to regulate it, a person is still able to grow it in his own home, which means that the government would miss out on revenue.
insidepresence
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject:

LakerLegend wrote:
It won't ever be legalized due to the fact that even if the government tried to regulate it, a person is still able to grow it in his own home, which means that the government would miss out on revenue.

Can't people grow tobacco?
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject:

For the record marijuana makes me a much better and safer driver. I'm more cautious and pay closer attention to the road and cars around me. I never feel a need to drive too fast. Everytime I ever got a speeding ticket was because I was stressed out and not high. Reducing your stress levels makes everything in life better.
LakerPhreak91
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:
For the record marijuana makes me a much better and safer driver. I'm more cautious and pay closer attention to the road and cars around me. I never feel a need to drive too fast. Everytime I ever got a speeding ticket was because I was stressed out and not high. Reducing your stress levels makes everything in life better.

Completely agree.

In 13 years of driving I have had 2 accidents, both while sober........
LakerLegend
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject:

insidepresence wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:

Yeah, they could, but it's a lot easier to grow mary jane and process it, as opposed to growing tobacco...at least it appears to be...not that I've ever done either one.

Can't people grow tobacco?

thedude1977
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
da ocho wrote:
Tony Montana wrote:

What would that be?

This is an excellent argument ... against driving while impaired.

As an argument against the legalization of marijuana? Not so good.

Would the accident have been any better if the boy had been drunk instead of high?

I got hit by an old lady talking on her cell phone once ... better outlaw cell phones, quick! Not just while driving, either - always. Right?

This reminds me of people who argue against welfare using examples of people cheating the system through fraud. That is not a legitimate argument against welfare -- it is an argument against fraud, which is already illegal.

You want to prosceute people for driving while impaired? Me too!

Now back to the subject at hand ...
ALF
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:

STiG909 wrote:

I agree that reducing stress makes everything in life better but smoking and driving is dangerous because it reduces your reaction time. If you are feeling stressed and you need to drive, you should try to find a better alternative than getting high. I'm not trying to preach at you, just trying to make the road a safer place.
koolruningz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:01 pm    Post subject:

I think here in New Zealand it may be legalised before too long. I'll be celebrating for sure when that day comes.
If its not legalised then it should certainly be decriminalised, people shouldnt be getting locked up for smoking a spliff or two.
STiG909
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject:

ALF wrote:
STiG909 wrote:

I agree that reducing stress makes everything in life better but smoking and driving is dangerous because it reduces your reaction time. If you are feeling stressed and you need to drive, you should try to find a better alternative than getting high.

I'm not recommending this to someone smoking weed for the first time. Personally, my reaction time is actually better because I'm more focused. I've never been pulled over once for "driving impaired" and I'm high half the time I'm in my car. As a matter of fact I remember failing my drivers license test and then passing it while I was high. See no long term memory brain damage either, haha.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Just cause it seems appropriate:

I was gonna clean my room until I got high
I gonna get up and find the broom but then I got high
my room is still messed up and I know why
- cause I got high [repeat 3X]

I was gonna go to class before I got high
I coulda cheated and I coulda passed but I got high
I am taking it next semester and I know why

I was gonna go to work but then I got high
I just got a new promotion but I got high
now I'm selling dope and I know why

I was gonna go to court before I got high
I was gonna pay my child support but then I got high
they took my whole paycheck and I know why

I wasnt gonna run from the cops but I was high
I was gonna pull right over and stop but I was high
Now I am a paraplegic - because I got high [repeat 3X]

I was gonna pay my car note until I got high
I was gonna gamble on the boat but then I got high
now the tow truck is pulling away and I know why
- because I got high [repeat 3X]
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject:

100% it should be legal.

they also recently concluded after years of extensive testing, that marijuana does NOT cause cancer. the researchers hypothosized that there would be cancer causing effects, but to their surprise, they found that it doesn't cause any cancer, and actually kills some cells that can become cancerous, but are not needed. so it may actually help.

i read this in the atlanta journal-constitution.

it's been proven to have medical uses. and those dependant on it during chemo-therapy swear by it. there is no real logical reason for it to be illegal. especially when you see how well legalization of mj has worked out in other countries. at the very least, it should be decriminalized.

if kept in moderation, there is no problem with it. just don't always be the stoners we were in college. lit all day every day. quite unproductive. but in moderation, it's grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!
maddprophet
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject:

anyone ever watch the showtime show called "weeds"??

great comedy show bout suburban life and middle class mother/dealer of bud. good show, catch it if you can. season 2 should be starting up soon.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Im from Vancouver Canada...the weed capital of the world, 1 out of 10 houses grow....come up here and amsterdam is a joke. Just look at all the border seizures of canadian bud and US supplied cocaine. Its vancouvers second biggest industry..NO JOKE. The laws are pretty loose up here...we are a laid back community up in the pacific northwest...to bad we have a major meth and heroin problem now.

Last edited by Vancouver Fan on Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
F Snaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Yes.

signed,
Lamar Odom.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject:

I guess legalizing MJ would really bring good fortune to the world..:roll:... The last thing this problematic place needs is another potential problem to deal with. Lets not add to that by having junkies out in the open, laughing at nothing. MJ is illegal for a reason, I've seen a number of ruined lives because of that (bleep).

But why not alcohol too, right? I say, if its possible, why not make that one illegal also. Maybe, the world will be a better place...maybe, some 2 yr olds won't get rape by their own (bleep) fathers anymore. Peace.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
I guess legalizing MJ would really bring good fortune to the world..:roll:... The last thing this problematic place needs is another potential problem to deal with. Lets not add to that by having junkies out in the open, laughing at nothing. MJ is illegal for a reason, I've seen a number of ruined lives because of that (bleep).

But why not alcohol too, right? I say, if its possible, why not make that one illegal also. Maybe, the world will be a better place...maybe, some 2 yr olds won't get rape by their own (bleep) fathers anymore. Peace.

Actually, they tried banning alcohol by making it a constitutional ammendment. They had to make another ammendment to retract their mistake for banning alcohol cause it lead to organized crime led by figures such as Al Capone.

So prohibiting substances is not always the best solution. MJ does not have as worst consequences as other drugs. At least it has some medical benefits in helping people in pain.
Muad'Dib
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:

MJ does not have as worst consequences as other drugs. At least it has some medical benefits in helping people in pain.

You'd be amazed at what relieves my pain.

And I don't think you would want to legalize it.
TEEGUNN
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject:

Can't we just get in our time machines, go back, and gene-splice the addictive properties of MJ, Nicotine and alcohol away??

That's my answer.

I don't think there is an "answer" to this question. Both legalization and criminalization have negative consequences. Having personally seen two close family memebers throw much of their lives away only to keep using it skews my feeling towards it. However, some people can or have done it once or twice in their life or once or twice a year or month. Everyone is different. No easy answer to cover all the bases.

But you would have a hard time convincing me that using MJ or alcohol daily or multiple times a day has any good consequences. Just another way to get loaded.

Jake Speed, 1986
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:48 am    Post subject:

Muad'Dib wrote:
Zhengi wrote:

MJ does not have as worst consequences as other drugs. At least it has some medical benefits in helping people in pain.

You'd be amazed at what relieves my pain.

And I don't think you would want to legalize it.

So just cause you use something worst than MJ to relieve your pain you would discount it?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: