THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1569, 1570, 1571 ... 3702, 3703, 3704  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
For some reason, we are not hearing about the recent (May) preliminary jobs numbers . . . for some reason.

Wait until October. The numbers are very likely to continue to be tepid over the summer, then comes the annual "normal" tick down at the end of summer. Waiting until October to highlight makes things look worse than they really are.

Those job numbers allow the Fed to give Trump the rate cut he's been begging for. Problem is, if consumer spending during the holiday season doesn't pick up appreciably, and the predictably tepid job numbers continue to trend downward, as is to be expected in an overheated economy, then the Fed will be lacking the paddles necessary to jump start the economy as Trump will be again begging for as we head into the 2nd & 3rd qtr of 2020 - in the heart of election season. If you've been wondering why Trump all of a sudden pulled back on an infrastructure deal, it's because Kudlow has sat the big kid down and explained this all to him and they need Infrastructure in their back pocket to act as a spending deal in disguise so they can pump money into a slowing economy to make it look healthier than it really is. So look for an Infrastructure deal to be delayed until around Feb-Mar of 2020.

The re-emergence of an oil glut could throw a monkey wrench into everything and drag all plans to an abrupt halt. Gonna be an interesting next 6 months on the economic front and that always gives risk to unstable geopolitical "events" materializing, seemingly out of thin air. Buckle up and grab the popcorn...
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.

Last edited by Aussiesuede on Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject:

They also adjusted down the previous two months by 75,000.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:31 pm    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Here’s the full list of House members who support an impeachment inquiry so far

1. Rep. Alma Adams (D-NC)
2. Rep. Nanette Barragán (D-CA)
3. Rep. Don Beyer (D-VA)
4. Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR)
5. Rep. Suzanne Bonamici (D-OR)
6. Rep. Brendan Boyle (D-PA)
7. Rep. G.K. Butterfield (D-NC)
8. Rep. Joaquin Castro (D-TX)
9. Rep. David Cicilline (D-RI) (House Judiciary Committee member)
10. Rep. Steve Cohen (D-TN), (House Judiciary Committee member)
11. Rep. Danny K. Davis (D-IL)
12. Rep. Madeleine Dean (D-PA) (House Judiciary Committee member)
13. Rep. Diana DeGette (D-CO)
14. Rep. Val Demings (D-FL) (House Judiciary Committee member)
15. Rep. Mark DeSaulnier (D-CA)
16. Rep. Lloyd Doggett (D-TX)
17. Rep. Veronica Escobar (D-TX) (House Judiciary Committee member)
18. Rep. Adriano Espaillat (D-NY)
19. Rep. Dwight Evans (D-PA)
20. Rep. Jesús García (D-IL)
21. Rep. Mary Gay Scanlon (D-PA) (Vice chair, House Judiciary Committee)
22. Rep. Al Green (D-TX)
23. Rep. Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) (Chairman, Natural Resources Committee)
24. Rep. Jared Huffman (D-CA)
25. Rep. Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) (House Judiciary Committee member)
26. Rep. Robin Kelly (D-IL)
27. Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA)
28. Rep. Ted Lieu (D-CA) (House Judiciary Committee member)
29. Rep. Alan Lowenthal (D-CA)
30. Rep. Tom Malinowski (D-NJ)
31. Rep. Betty McCollum (D-MN)
32. Rep. Jim McGovern (D-MA) (Chairman, House Rules Committee)
33. Rep. Gwen Moore (D-WI)
34. Rep. Seth Moulton (D-MA)
35. Rep. Joe Neguse (D-CO) (House Judiciary Committee member)
36. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY)
37. Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN)
38. Rep. Bill Pascrell (D-NJ)
39. Rep. Chellie Pingree (D-ME)
40. Rep. Mark Pocan (D-WI)
41. Rep. Ayanna Pressley (D-MA)
42. Rep. Mike Quigley (D-IL)
43. Rep. Jamie Raskin (D-MD) (House Judiciary Committee member)
44. Rep. Kathleen Rice (D-NY)
45. Rep. Cedric Richmond (D-LA) (House Judiciary Committee member)
46. Rep. Bobby Rush (D-IL)
47. Rep. Tim Ryan (D-OH)
48. Rep. Brad Sherman (D-CA)
49. Rep. Jackie Speier (D-CA)
50. Rep. Greg Stanton (D-AZ) (House Judiciary Committee member)
51. Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-MS) (Chairman, House Homeland Security Committee)
52. Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-MI)
53. Rep. Paul Tonko (D-NY)
54. Rep. Norma Torres (D-CA)
55. Rep. Juan Vargas (D-CA)
56. Rep. Filemon Vela (D-TX)
57. Rep. Maxine Waters (D-CA) (Chairwoman, House Financial Services Committee)
58. Rep. John Yarmuth (D-KY) (Chairman, House Budget Committee)
59. Rep. Justin Amash (R-MI)

Just 59? Thought it’d be majority of the D. Bit surprised
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

Maybe this will move the needle: https://www.impeach.org/event/impeachment_day_of_action_june15/search/

Maybe not.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject:

Katie Porter was on Bill Maher last night and she had something to say about Joe Biden's statement on the Hyde Amendment:

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1137361182757720064

Just when I thought I couldn't love her more. I hope she runs for President some day.

Last edited by ChefLinda on Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:16 am; edited 1 time in total
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
governator wrote:

Maybe this will move the needle: https://www.impeach.org/event/impeachment_day_of_action_june15/search/

Maybe not.

One thing these marches, and lets call them something better than protests etc, Do is force others to take notice and wonder...

Quote:

I think it's time we stop, children, what's that sound
Everybody look what's going down
There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Young people speaking their minds
Getting so much resistance from behind
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Katie Porter was on Bill Maher last night and she had something to say about Joe Biden's statement on the Hyde Amendment:

Just when I thought I couldn't love her more. I hope she runs for President some day.

Thanks for this. I was looking for something on Utube but struck out. Yes, she should have a great future before her.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

She stole the show and Bill seemed powerless to stop her. She was informative and funny.

Though I've never really liked him as a person but found his show somewhat entertaining, Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable. He makes the same damn rant every week about how kids these days are spoiled and how people take politically correctness too far.

Also last night, he had this weird comment about how his mom had a difficult birth when his older sister was born and that people advised her that she shouldn't have more babies, but she still had Bill later. So when he thinks about abortions, he thinks he could have been aborted. And then Katie said that his mom made her choice and now we all have to deal with the consequences of that. Just a perfect answer since it's funny and also on point: it's the woman's choice. The whole room laughed, except Bill Maher.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:

She stole the show and Bill seemed powerless to stop her. She was informative and funny.

Though I've never really liked him as a person but found his show somewhat entertaining, Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable. He makes the same damn rant every week about how kids these days are spoiled and how people take politically correctness too far.

Also last night, he had this weird comment about how his mom had a difficult birth when his older sister was born and that people advised her that she shouldn't have more babies, but she still had Bill later. So when he thinks about abortions, he thinks he could have been aborted. And then Katie said that his mom made her choice and now we all have to deal with the consequences of that. Just a perfect answer since it's funny and also on point: it's the woman's choice. The whole room laughed, except Bill Maher.

Here's that clip. She just destroyed him. And the look she gives him. Shade x 1000:

https://twitter.com/tommyxtopher/status/1137362024361578499
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject:

I watched the show last night. It was a good show: Yang was most impressive -- including that identify politics harms the Dems at the polls. Charles Blow, as always, had something interesting to say. Mahre had some good lines -- how can you have a straight pride week when no one’s ever shamed you - it’s like having a welcome home when you’ve never gotten up from the couch. But our gal stole the show, with both wit and wisdom. She genuinely did not seem to like Mahre and he appeared genuinely bothered by it.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:

Our heads at UCI are already big enough as it is....but sure!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:52 am    Post subject:

People must not watch comedy shows much, Katie Porter was in on the joke, and ribbing Maher in the spirit of "Real Time". (notice he got a big laugh referring to his aborted abortion as being "on the cutting room floor")
Thats a gruesome (I liked it) joke, and AFTER that porter started ribbing Maher.

Confused some would think Porter seemed to not like Maher... why would she go on the show?
She didn't have a book to promote.
Maher has a reputation that precedes itself, Porter Knew what she was getting into.

Maher did not seem bothered by porter's energy towards him- been watching the guy for 20 years, he has a smarmy energy towards most people.
That may be why he's had successful shows for the last 20 years.

On a side note-what makes me so mad about past criticisms of Jon Stewart and Maher's shows not "covering both sides" is they ARE COMEDY SHOWS FIRST!!!
Bummed when comedians get ire for telling jokes,

Yang was impressive- Commerce/Labor Secretary?
Him speaking reminds me of when the Google CEO was questioned by Congress and the Republican questions were about outdated, common knowledge tech issues which makes me realize how out of step most of the country is with the new technologies and automations that are going to replace lots of jobs.

Yang touches on that, knows wayyyyyyy more about job creation than Trump for sure...
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

eddiejonze wrote:
People must not watch comedy shows much, Katie Porter was in on the joke, and ribbing Maher in the spirit of "Real Time". (notice he got a big laugh referring to his aborted abortion as being "on the cutting room floor")
Thats a gruesome (I liked it) joke, and AFTER that porter started ribbing Maher.

Confused some would think Porter seemed to not like Maher... why would she go on the show?
She didn't have a book to promote.
Maher has a reputation that precedes itself, Porter Knew what she was getting into.

Maher did not seem bothered by porter's energy towards him- been watching the guy for 20 years, he has a smarmy energy towards most people.
That may be why he's had successful shows for the last 20 years.

On a side note-what makes me so mad about past criticisms of Jon Stewart and Maher's shows not "covering both sides" is they ARE COMEDY SHOWS FIRST!!!
Bummed when comedians get ire for telling jokes,

Yang was impressive- Commerce/Labor Secretary?
Him speaking reminds me of when the Google CEO was questioned by Congress and the Republican questions were about outdated, common knowledge tech issues which makes me realize how out of step most of the country is with the new technologies and automations that are going to replace lots of jobs.

Yang touches on that, knows wayyyyyyy more about job creation than Trump for sure...

Completely agree. I think Maher actually liked her because she is funny, which he didn’t expect.

I don’t think Charles Blow understands the modern internet context of what a “social justice warrior” is. Unfortunate.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:

Completely agree. I think Maher actually liked her because she is funny, which he didn’t expect.

I don’t think Charles Blow understands the modern internet context of what a “social justice warrior” is. Unfortunate.

I think he liked her wit in the beginning, but not her comments related to Mahre defending his mom's pro life stance, thus Mahre being here because he was not aborted.

I'm believe that the term social justice warrior is a pejorative conservative term, like snowflake, and Blow is trying to take back the term by trying to point out what a social justice warrior really is and does, you know those in the legal system doing pro per work or those fighting for voting rights. His perspective is quite welcomed by me.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:57 am    Post subject:

On Maher, Porter was great as usual, and funny which I didn't know.

Yang was pretty interesting on robots impact on the future, which I think was discussed here already (but I didn't really read it closely).

He also highlighted that he was shocked at the Democrats' failures for working class voters and those failures' impact on the rise of Trump.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=107&v=_9say1jGFFQ&t=6m48s

Bernie and Warren, along with Yang address these concerns though pretty explicitly, and PetteGieg has these vibes too. I doubt anyone seriously buys Biden, Booker, or Harris doing so (I don't know a lot of the candidates). It's going to have to be someone perceived by the working class voters as authentic like the first four. But still I don't really know whether Yang's prescription is an actual winning strategy vs Trump, if targeting other voters in key states or regions like I believe ChefLinda and other frequent people here is a more effective way to go. Maybe it's not an either-or.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

I think he liked her wit in the beginning, but not her comments related to Mahre defending his mom's pro life stance, thus Mahre being here because he was not aborted.

I'm believe that the term social justice warrior is a pejorative conservative term, like snowflake, and Blow is trying to take back the term by trying to point out what a social justice warrior really is and does, you know those in the legal system doing pro per work or those fighting for voting rights. His perspective is quite welcomed by me.

That looked like he was deadpanning to me to play the joke up moreso.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
ribeye wrote:
Surfitall wrote:

That looked like he was deadpanning to me to play the joke up moreso.

I'll have to watch it again as I may have missed this deadpanning.

On the other hand, here is a take from yesterday from over at Kos:

Quote:
Tonight, Rep. Katie Porter was on and she “killed” every time she spoke, making her points with clarity and humor. When they got to a discussion of Biden's flip flop on the Hyde Amendment. Maher said he's pro-choice, but has mixed feelings because his mother was advised, after a difficult first birth, not to have another child. She did anyway, and it was little Bill. So Maher made the faux-existential argument: What if she'd chosen not to have him and he was never here? This argument always intrigues me -- if that happened, how would you know you were never here? Could you miss yourself? Would others miss you? If your non-existent self fell in a forest, would it really have happened?

Skipping these questions, Porter said, “Well, Bill, your mother made a choice, and we all are living with the consequences of it.”

The crowd went nuts. Maher was speechless. Charles Blow put his head on his desk in an attempt quell uncontrollable laughter.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

Maher really sponged the Royal Family. He had no respect for them. If a comedian can joke about our president, is it OK to joke about the Royal Family?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable.

Yep, and you can remove the "almost" part.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:

He's a narcissistic, egocentric crybaby. He's been checked by the media for his controversial comments on Islam and his use of the N-word.
So he identifies with anybody called out for making controversial statements. Even giving a platform to the lowest of the low like Milo Yiannopoulos.

A while back he tried to argue "it isn't fair" and "you're attacking freedom of speech" if viewers boycott political talking heads for saying inappropriate things. When the argument was made that those actions by viewers are a form of freedom of speech, he had no valid response. He just doesn't like boycotts because they happened to him . Now who's the sensitive snowflake who needs a "safe space"?

He's a wealthy man (which he and his guests like to remind us of every episode) who sees the world through a small, self-absorbed prism. It's why he plays the victim card whenever someone says we've had enough geriatric white male Presidents. If he had enough self awareness, he'd be embarrassed by the amount of energy he puts into blurring the lines between valid and invalid criticisms of political talking heads. With all that said, glad he donates big money to DEM candidates. He's done more good than bad for the Democratic party.

Last edited by kikanga on Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject:

I like Maher. He's a comedian. His shtick is railing on politicians and their positions. He mostly doesn't pick sides, he makes jokes about any and everyone. Key phrase, "he's a comedian."

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ribeye
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Maher really sponged the Royal Family. He had no respect for them. If a comedian can joke about our president, is it OK to joke about the Royal Family?

He is critical of ALL the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Queen and the royal family, as he is with the church -- but this is only the beginning of what he dislikes about the church, any church. It fair game for humor, but I wished some things were a bit more off limits, and if the Queen must be criticized, let the UK have at their own.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject:

ribeye wrote:
jodeke wrote:

He is critical of ALL the pomp and circumstance surrounding the Queen and the royal family, as he is with the church -- but this is only the beginning of what he dislikes about the church, any church. It fair game for humor, but I wished some things were a bit more off limits, and if the Queen must be criticized, let the UK have at their own.

We're same on that. I didn't mind his bashing pomp and circumstances, I didn't particularly like his criticizing the Queen. Though I have to say that's being selective. I don't mind him bashing Putin, Kim and some others. I place onus on my personal affinity for the Queen.

governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Bill Maher has turned into such an (bleep) lately that it's almost insufferable.

Yep, and you can remove the "almost" part.

why? became too centrist?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Latest Iowa polls:

Quote:
Dave Weigel Verified account @daveweigel

(Change) Since last poll

Biden: 24% (-5)
Sanders: 16% (-9)
Warren: 15% (+6)
Buttigieg: 14% (+13)
Harris: 7% (+0)
Klobuchar: 2% (-1)

Quote:
NEW: @DMRegister Iowa Poll results on the 2020 caucus field

Biden: 24%
Sanders: 16%
Warren: 15%
Buttigieg: 14%
Harris: 7%
Klobuchar: 2%
O’Rourke: 2%

No other candidate tops 1%
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1569, 1570, 1571 ... 3702, 3703, 3704  Next
Page 1570 of 3704
Jump to: