2019 Major League Baseball Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 68, 69, 70  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:54 pm    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
^ Me too. Was hoping we could have exorcised our demons against you guys and Houston. But nope, we get to be embarrassed by a different team in an earlier round. Yay.

Hoping for a Cards - Rays WS at this point lol

Any team but Nats please
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Big Pappi, D-Train, A-Rod and Big Hurt all pick the Astros.....feels like a Rays lock.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
loslakersss wrote:
^ Me too. Was hoping we could have exorcised our demons against you guys and Houston. But nope, we get to be embarrassed by a different team in an earlier round. Yay.

Hoping for a Cards - Rays WS at this point lol

Any team but Nats please

why not Nats? just because they beat the Dodgers? i'd rather have Nats or Rays winning it all this year over any of the other 3 teams.

Cards - can't stand joe buck's STL homer broadcasting
Yankee - evil empire, enough said
Astros - 2017, enough said

Last edited by SGV-Laker fan on Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject:

Yeah I don't mind the Nats winning. It would soften the blow tbh. Anyone but Houston is fine. No Yankees either would be my other preference.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject:

got a little ugly early...
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Rays get back a run in the 2nd.....that could be important to at least see that Superman bleeds. Astros lead 4-1 going into bottom of the 2nd.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject:

predicted if Cole went 7 innings....odds were very low the Rays could win.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject:

looks like we will get an epic ALCS between Astros and Yankees. Nationals and Cardinals could go either way also.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject:

Nice run by the Rays....with only about 35% the payroll of the Astros, the put a scare into them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject:

All 4 teams in the Championship Series are in the Top 8 in MLB payroll.

3. Yankees
6. Cardinals
7. Nationals
8. Astros

-------------------------------------

The 4 teams that lost in the divisional series ranked...

4. Dodgers
14. Braves
18. Twins
30. Rays
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Bullet dodged. I actually heard someone in the media referring to Rays vs. Astros as David vs. Goliath. The Rays deserve more respect. David didn't win 96 games and have a 4-3 regular season record against Goliath. I'm not going to downplay how much talent we have on the Astros. We were the clear favorites in the series. It just annoys me when the media doesn't recognize how many excellent players the Rays have accumulated (once again) on a shoestring budget with an average attendance of 14k. Hats off to a well run franchise.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Baseball season is over, lock thread
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Baseball season is over, lock thread

I feel the same way after yesterday...
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Bullet dodged. I actually heard someone in the media referring to Rays vs. Astros as David vs. Goliath. The Rays deserve more respect. David didn't win 96 games and have a 4-3 regular season record against Goliath. I'm not going to downplay how much talent we have on the Astros. We were the clear favorites in the series. It just annoys me when the media doesn't recognize how many excellent players the Rays have accumulated (once again) on a shoestring budget with an average attendance of 14k. Hats off to a well run franchise.

I’ve seen similar comments about the Nationals. Some people thought they had almost no chance even in a short 5 game series. I saw more comments like that after the Dodgers took the first game 6-0.

In my opinion, the Dodgers and Nationals splitting games 1 and 2, again splitting games 3 and 4, and then Washington winning a 5th game with Strasburg on the mound was not that surprising of an outcome.

People act like the top seeds were playing the Orioles or the Tigers. One thing I like about the baseball playoffs is even the weakest teams are pretty damn good.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I’ve seen similar comments about the Nationals. Some people thought they had almost no chance even in a short 5 game series. I saw more comments like that after the Dodgers took the first game 6-0.

In my opinion, the Dodgers and Nationals splitting games 1 and 2, again splitting games 3 and 4, and then Washington winning a 5th game with Strasburg on the mound was not that surprising of an outcome.

People act like the top seeds were playing the Orioles or the Tigers. One thing I like about the baseball playoffs is even the weakest teams are pretty damn good.

I'll admit I was wrong about the Nationals...I didn't think they had it in them, but then again I didn't think the Dodgers would choke in epic fashion to help them finally advance to the NLCS either.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

I'll admit I was wrong about the Nationals...I didn't think they had it in them, but then again I didn't think the Dodgers would choke in epic fashion to help them finally advance to the NLCS either.

it is a cliche but true.....if a team has pitching they always have a chance.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject:

So Glasnow was tipping his pitches in the first inning. Astros are so good at recognizing and taking advantage of these things.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
looks like we will get an epic ALCS between Astros and Yankees. Nationals and Cardinals could go either way also.

I’m hoping for an Astros win. I will be in Houston when the Series starts, if they play my Birds I am going.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Steve007 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

One team has been to the NLDS more than any other and the other for their first time.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject:

loslakersss wrote:
So Glasnow was tipping his pitches in the first inning. Astros are so good at recognizing and taking advantage of these things.

Just ask Yu Darvish about that.
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Rays are legit. Wander Franco will be the one to push them from David to Goliath on a shoestring budget status very soon.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject:

Well, the problem with shoestring budgets in MLB is that you have to keep churning your players. Guys start getting into the arbitration years, then the free agency cycle, and suddenly your payroll starts going up. The Astros won the wild card game and lost in the ALDS in 2015. We had the lowest opening day payroll in 2016. While we certainly added a lot of salary with guys like Verlander in 2017, we also had to start paying guys like Altuve and Bregman. Even then, we are likely to lose Cole this winter and Springer next winter.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
loslakersss wrote:

Just ask Yu Darvish about that.

I know all to well. I lived through that heartbreak.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Well, the problem with shoestring budgets in MLB is that you have to keep churning your players. Guys start getting into the arbitration years, then the free agency cycle, and suddenly your payroll starts going up. The Astros won the wild card game and lost in the ALDS in 2015. We had the lowest opening day payroll in 2016. While we certainly added a lot of salary with guys like Verlander in 2017, we also had to start paying guys like Altuve and Bregman. Even then, we are likely to lose Cole this winter and Springer next winter.

Rays have remained cheap more so getting players off the trash heap that others did not want, and developing them than it has been the traditional draft, develop, then contribute to the big club. As you point out, those teams can only remain cheap for a short period. I do not recall the numbers, but like 5 or 6 of the Rays starters this year were guys picked up when left off other teams 40 man rosters....or gave up on and traded away for basically nothing.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Rays have remained cheap more so getting players off the trash heap that others did not want, and developing them than it has been the traditional draft, develop, then contribute to the big club. As you point out, those teams can only remain cheap for a short period. I do not recall the numbers, but like 5 or 6 of the Rays starters this year were guys picked up when left off other teams 40 man rosters....or gave up on and traded away for basically nothing.

Yep. The problem, of course, is that you can't count on successful dumpster dives year after year. Hence, the Montreal Rays ploy. (I must admit that I laughed out loud when I heard that one.)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 68, 69, 70  Next
Page 17 of 70
Jump to: