OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 2910, 2911, 2912  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JerryMagicKobe

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
THE_DAGGER wrote:
Someone mentioned that I thought trading Russell, Clarkson, and Randle for Cousins is like the package we traded for Kareem. Or that I thought Cousins was on the same level as Kareem.

I want to say that I would never trade all 3 for Cousins. But, I also want to say that even though Cousins is not on the same level as Kareem and never will be, he represents the same thing now as Kareem did then: He's the best center in the game. Whether you like it or not, that's a fact. That's how weak this era is, a power forward is the best center today.

On the subject of that trade for Kareem in relation to Russell. It's talked about here that we should wait and see what we have in Russell before we make any decisions. Is that what we did with the 2nd pick Dave Myers back in 1975?

Myers was coming into the league as the top player on the last John Wooden led UCLA title team. Can Russell match those credentials? Did we wait and see with Myers?

Yes, it was for Kareem and it included many other players as well. But, that's the thing, because it's not for that level of player it will take less in a trade to get similar impact.

Now, also on the subject of trades and the players it will take to get something done. You guys would rather trade Randle and Clarkson over Russell. But, you have to remember salary plays a factor in trades. Russell makes more than Randle and Clarkson combined. It would take a another player just to match his salary. That's 3 players, 3 roster spots to equal 1 player, 1 roster spot. The more players, the more difficult it makes the trade.

Plus I think it's an easier sell to trade the 2nd pick that plays similar to the current MVP who's team also won the championship than last year's 7th pick who's coming off a broken leg and a second rounder who exceeded expectations.

These are things we have to take into account. It's not hating, it's being open minded. His worth to us a player has to be considered alongside his worth to us in a trade for Cousins or any other player. It's part of the discussion.

Wrong thread for this post. Next time I'll just delete.

Did you mean to imply that there is a right thread for that post?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject:

JerryMagicKobe wrote:
ChefLinda wrote:
THE_DAGGER wrote:
Someone mentioned that I thought trading Russell, Clarkson, and Randle for Cousins is like the package we traded for Kareem. Or that I thought Cousins was on the same level as Kareem.

I want to say that I would never trade all 3 for Cousins. But, I also want to say that even though Cousins is not on the same level as Kareem and never will be, he represents the same thing now as Kareem did then: He's the best center in the game. Whether you like it or not, that's a fact. That's how weak this era is, a power forward is the best center today.

On the subject of that trade for Kareem in relation to Russell. It's talked about here that we should wait and see what we have in Russell before we make any decisions. Is that what we did with the 2nd pick Dave Myers back in 1975?

Myers was coming into the league as the top player on the last John Wooden led UCLA title team. Can Russell match those credentials? Did we wait and see with Myers?

Yes, it was for Kareem and it included many other players as well. But, that's the thing, because it's not for that level of player it will take less in a trade to get similar impact.

Now, also on the subject of trades and the players it will take to get something done. You guys would rather trade Randle and Clarkson over Russell. But, you have to remember salary plays a factor in trades. Russell makes more than Randle and Clarkson combined. It would take a another player just to match his salary. That's 3 players, 3 roster spots to equal 1 player, 1 roster spot. The more players, the more difficult it makes the trade.

Plus I think it's an easier sell to trade the 2nd pick that plays similar to the current MVP who's team also won the championship than last year's 7th pick who's coming off a broken leg and a second rounder who exceeded expectations.

These are things we have to take into account. It's not hating, it's being open minded. His worth to us a player has to be considered alongside his worth to us in a trade for Cousins or any other player. It's part of the discussion.

Wrong thread for this post. Next time I'll just delete.

Did you mean to imply that there is a right thread for that post?

Trade & Free Agency Forum.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:56 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
https://instagram.com/p/66flDJFEaH/

He's secretly recruiting Devin Booker.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Page 200!

pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:40 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Page 200!

N
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:

I love lane drills like that. They're working on several things in that drill, namely dribbling, slides/lateral agility, and stamina. That's an exhausting drill.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:14 pm    Post subject:

I did indeed post this on this thread in response to Dagger a long while back:

Quote:
You may think that Russell, Randle and Clarkson are Dave Meyers, Junior Bridgeman, and Brian Winters, but even if they were, that wouldn't make Cousins anywhere close to Kareem.

I'll just say this in regards to his long post:

1) You can't compare credentials for a four year senior to a one and done freshman. If Meyers came out after his sophomore year (freshmen played JV in those days), where he averaged 4.9 points and 2.9 rebounds, then I doubt he would have even been drafted in the first two rounds.

2) The Kings demanded all three of Clarkson, Randle, and Russell plus even MORE assets. Any discussion of a one for one trade for the #2 pick is just pure fantasy

If we're going to continue this, let's take it to the trade and FA forum.
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:

Lol at Russell being the only one that lost his handle... Just kidding, cool video!
dood23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:04 am    Post subject:

https://instagram.com/p/68dXr1v99U/

Slightly longer version of that drill.
THE_DAGGER
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:05 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
If we're going to continue this, let's take it to the trade and FA forum.

I'll see you in the Cousins thread then. I have a rebuttal for your #2. It's basically negotiations 101 to ask for heaven and earth before you settle for either or.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:47 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:

Definitely stretched in this version.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:56 am    Post subject:

From the trainer's instagram:

Quote:
robbiehaught I want to address something for everyone who speaks on my bro @dloading with no substance. He works on his craft day in and day out and is beyond focused on the upcoming season. So for everyone saying he's not, he's out partying, not grinding, etc. You are WRONG. Take the time you dedicate to hating on someone else on social media and use that time to better yourself. I support who supports me so I felt like I would speak on this cause I know he won't. #loading

Must be a lot of kray kray's out there...
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject:

dood23 wrote:

His thighs look real small to me, definitely look smaller than DBook's. Just a year ago Russell's body was so thin and 15 year old-like , I'm excited to see how it'll transform. His lack of muscle and underdeveloped looking lower body is probly the reason he's not the best athlete. The Laker's trainer GrassFed Tim goes by the notion that explosion/better athleticism comes from building strength. This is perfect for DLo, makes me excited , he definitely has a lot of room to grow physically.
While lots of other trainers will focus on resistance training and fasttwitch development, Russell's lack of physical muscle in his legs leads me to believe the athleticm that he does have, comes from maxed out fasttwitch muscles. The Lakers trainer's route is perfect for Russell imo, strength train to the max.

This was Russell just a year ago http://montverde.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/DAngelo_Russell-at-2014-MAIT.jpg , he had very much a kid's body.
He still has suchhhh a baby face.
https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_SAPgNo-AsLDUC80WV14gaTAT2Q=/0x0:2400x1600/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46713688/usa-today-8688751.0.jpg

Im excited for him to grow up/develop physically. I think it's bound to happen still

Here's some words and RTs from the Lakers trainer on training

@tdathletesedge: If you're looking to get "quicker" or more athletic, prioritize training for hip size, strength and power over ladder drills. #TDAE
@tdathletesedge: If your goal is to jump higher then 3 upper body days/wk is the opposite of helpful. Shift focus to hip strength/power instead. #TDAE
@tdathletesedge: Basketball players need a base of absolute strength for speed, agility & quickness drills to be effective. #basketball #TDAE
RT'd @RoryCordial: @tdathletesedge great insight TD! I appreciate your consistent voice about the foundation of any athlete. Strength.
@tdathletesedge: #Athletes that I see get #results do a few things consistently & well: Train Strength, Train Skill, Sleep, Eat, Hydrate. #Edge1
@tdathletesedge: Failure to develop a base of strength and 2 other big training errors #basketball players make: http://t.co/D6ByKotTHi #TDAE @Eric_Bach
@tdathletesedge: Athleticism has many definitions but only one foundation: Strength + Mobility. #Edge1
@tdathletesedge: It amazes me at how many "#StrengthTraining programs" neglect to address strength. https://twitter.com/tdathletesedge/status/573599935297355776

@AdamRingler: "Athletes are playing more during their developmental years & using evidence-based strength building approaches less." via. @tdathletesedge . Why he thinks more injuries are occurring

YOU GET IT. Lol. Seriously I'm suppoppper excited that skinny leg/base Russell is going to get stronger, for sure. Wooh

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:31 am; edited 5 times in total
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:43 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:
robbiehaught I want to address something for everyone who speaks on my bro @dloading with no substance. He works on his craft day in and day out and is beyond focused on the upcoming season. So for everyone saying he's not, he's out partying, not grinding, etc. You are WRONG. Take the time you dedicate to hating on someone else on social media and use that time to better yourself. I support who supports me so I felt like I would speak on this cause I know he won't. #loading

A lot of people assume that just because he isn't uploading pics or videos like some of our other young players he's not doing anything and it's dumb.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:18 am    Post subject:

D. Russell interview on NBA.com

Quote:
Russell Talks Training Camp and More

Lakers rookie D'Angelo Russell joined Lakers Reporter Mike Trudell and Mychal Thompson on ESPN 710’s Thompson & Trudell Wednesday morning to talk about everything from playing alongside Kobe Bryant and Jordan Clarkson to preparing for his first training camp.

http://www.nba.com/lakers/news/150826_russellespn710?cid=tw
yuurin98
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:55 am    Post subject:

Anything can happen. I'd suggest that we can hope for the best but not hyping for it in case he disappoints us. If he successfully exceed our expectations it will be a great feeling. But at the other side of the coin, everybody might get mad.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:01 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:

Quote:

Agree with the bolded.

Never understood the motivation behind putting others down on twitter/instagram.

It's not even high school level verbiage. It's like stuff we used to say to each other in 2nd or 3rd grade but ultimately grew out of.

These are actually real adults typing this kind of stuff. They likely have jobs, children and other responsibilities, and they choose to ridicule complete strangers on twitter instead.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
CalisFinest wrote:

Lol at Russell being the only one that lost his handle... Just kidding, cool video!

I know (think) that you're kidding, but if guys aren't losing their handle from time to time in a ball handling drill, they're not doing it right. You want guys to push their limits in terms of speed on these, to the point where they're making the occasional mistake. That's gradual improvement happens...pushing the limits of what's comfortable. Notice how much faster he's dribbling than the other two. These drills aren't constructed to impress people, they're constructed to make guys better.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:51 am    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dood23 wrote:

His thighs look real small to me, definitely look smaller than DBook's. Just a year ago Russell's body was so thin and 15 year old-like , I'm excited to see how it'll transform. His lack of muscle and underdeveloped looking lower body is probly the reason he's not the best athlete. The Laker's trainer GrassFed Tim goes by the notion that explosion/better athleticism comes from building strength. This is perfect for DLo, makes me excited , he definitely has a lot of room to grow physically.
While lots of other trainers will focus on resistance training and fasttwitch development, Russell's lack of physical muscle in his legs leads me to believe the athleticm that he does have, comes from maxed out fasttwitch muscles. The Lakers trainer's route is perfect for Russell imo, strength train to the max.

This was Russell just a year ago http://montverde.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/DAngelo_Russell-at-2014-MAIT.jpg , he had very much a kid's body.
https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/_SAPgNo-AsLDUC80WV14gaTAT2Q=/0x0:2400x1600/709x473/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/46713688/usa-today-8688751.0.jpg

Im excited for him to grow up/develop physically. I think it's bound to happen still

@tdathletesedge: If you're looking to get "quicker" or more athletic, prioritize training for hip size, strength and power over ladder drills. #TDAE
@tdathletesedge: If your goal is to jump higher then 3 upper body days/wk is the opposite of helpful. Shift focus to hip strength/power instead. #TDAE
@tdathletesedge: Basketball players need a base of absolute strength for speed, agility & quickness drills to be effective. #basketball #TDAE
RT'd @RoryCordial: @tdathletesedge great insight TD! I appreciate your consistent voice about the foundation of any athlete. Strength.
@tdathletesedge: #Athletes that I see get #results do a few things consistently & well: Train Strength, Train Skill, Sleep, Eat, Hydrate. #Edge1
@tdathletesedge: Failure to develop a base of strength and 2 other big training errors #basketball players make: http://t.co/D6ByKotTHi #TDAE @Eric_Bach
@tdathletesedge: Athleticism has many definitions but only one foundation: Strength + Mobility. #Edge1
@tdathletesedge: It amazes me at how many "#StrengthTraining programs" neglect to address strength. https://twitter.com/tdathletesedge/status/573599935297355776

@AdamRingler: "Athletes are playing more during their developmental years & using evidence-based strength building approaches less." via. @tdathletesedge . Why he thinks more injuries are occurring

YOU GET IT. Lol. Seriously I'm suppoppper excited that skinny leg/base Russell is going to get stronger, for sure. Wooh

Thank you KiROE!! I follow grass fed on Twitter now lol. Give DLO some time peeps. Look how much Randle's body has transformed and he's been recovering from injury most of the time
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject:

D'Angelo Russell ranked #4 in ESPN forecast: 2015-16 rookie of the year

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13459192/2015-summer-forecast-rookie-year
lukewaltonsdad
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:19 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
dood23 wrote:

Thank you KiROE!! I follow grass fed on Twitter now lol. Give DLO some time peeps. Look how much Randle's body has transformed and he's been recovering from injury most of the time

Not to mention the transformation that Clarkson's body has undergone; he looks fantastic. What's funny about that is, there were a couple of different moments where I noticed Clarkson finishing through contact toward the end of last season. His strength has improved considerably, IMO.

I'd hope the same progress w/Russell. I think in about 2 years his body will undergo considerable positive change.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I just don't think it's fair to say to freeze frame DLO now and then project his growth or lack thereof 3 years from now.

If we did that, Clarkson would have stopped competing to get to the NBA at 19 b/c he was not on the national map at the time.

It's just a starting point. I think it's undisputed that DLO at 19 >>>> JC at 19.

I just feel that in 4 years' time he will pass Clarkson. Regardless, I hope we have them both for a long time.

30 wrote:
Kikanga, I hereby give you permission to break your vow.

I'm not sure Russell will ever pass Clarkson. And I don't think it's a smart idea to bet on DLo to close the gap as he ages since both players are still improving.
Clarkson is the more effective combo guard right now by a healthy margin.
And Clarkson has shown he can drastically improve with playing time in the NBA. DLo hasn't proven he is the same way (because he hasn't been given the chance yet).

Russell's young age doesn't matter as much as you think it does.
Player progression isn't linear. That's why it's huge that Clarkson has proven he can improve at this level of competition.
Check out this link
Those are the top-10 nineteen year old basketball players of all time.
Half of them never made the Hall of Fame.
40% of them never made the all star game. (Kenny Anderson made 1 ASG).

I don't want Clarkson to be considered expendable until DLo has proven he has a higher ceiling of the two. And before anybody complains about cap space to resign Clarkson. Cap space doesn't mean anything when there's no quality talent on the roster. That's why we've been striking out in free agency.

Who the heck made that list? No Durant. No Anthony Davis. No Church. No Marovich(43 points a game) and no KAREEM!?!?!?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:41 pm    Post subject:

lukewaltonsdad wrote:
22 wrote:

Not to mention the transformation that Clarkson's body has undergone; he looks fantastic. What's funny about that is, there were a couple of different moments where I noticed Clarkson finishing through contact toward the end of last season. His strength has improved considerably, IMO.

I'd hope the same progress w/Russell. I think in about 2 years his body will undergo considerable positive change.

Agreed. Clarkson's body transformation has been epic too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
I just don't think it's fair to say to freeze frame DLO now and then project his growth or lack thereof 3 years from now.

If we did that, Clarkson would have stopped competing to get to the NBA at 19 b/c he was not on the national map at the time.

It's just a starting point. I think it's undisputed that DLO at 19 >>>> JC at 19.

I just feel that in 4 years' time he will pass Clarkson. Regardless, I hope we have them both for a long time.

30 wrote:

I'm not sure Russell will ever pass Clarkson. And I don't think it's a smart idea to bet on DLo to close the gap as he ages since both players are still improving.
And Clarkson has shown he can drastically improve with playing time in the NBA. DLo hasn't proven he is the same way (because he hasn't been given the chance yet).

Player progression isn't linear. That's why it's huge that Clarkson has proven he can improve at this level of competition.
Check out this link

I don't want Clarkson to be considered expendable until DLo has proven he has a higher ceiling of the two. And before anybody complains about cap space to resign Clarkson. Cap space doesn't mean anything when there's no quality talent on the roster. That's why we've been striking out in free agency.

Who the heck made that list? No Durant. No Anthony Davis. No Church. No Marovich(43 points a game) and no KAREEM!?!?!?

The contents of that link have been slightly misrepresented. It isn't the 10 greatest 19 year old basketball players of all time. Instead, it's the 10 best freshman seasons (according to the writer) we've ever seen (that is, since freshman were eligible to play varsity in 72-73).
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakers#1Team wrote:
MJST wrote:
kikanga wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

30 wrote:

Check out this link

The contents of that link have been slightly misrepresented. It isn't the 10 greatest 19 year old basketball players of all time. Instead, it's the 10 best freshman seasons (according to the writer) we've ever seen (that is, since freshman were eligible to play varsity in 72-73).

Take the link for what it is. On the toughest level of competition a 19 year old can play at, these were arguably the top 10. I'm sure it was written before Durant and Anthony Davis played.
I was just trying to highlight: not every fantastically talented 19 year old turns into an all star (Mahmoud Abdul Rauf).
There's a healthy chance, even though Clarkson is older, he'll end up being the better combo guard.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 199, 200, 201 ... 2910, 2911, 2912  Next
Page 200 of 2912
Jump to: