4 bucks a gallon for premium.. Is gas affecting your neighborhood?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctb619
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject:

GameFace wrote:
ctb619 wrote:
^ If we accept your premise, that we're in that region to secure access to oil and natural gas (not unreasonable), shouldn't we factor in the cost of our military adventures in the Middle East and Southwest Asia (and elsewhere) to what we pay at the pump? In other words, you say we'd be paying $7 a gallon if we weren't there, but perhaps we are paying that much or more regardless (factoring in the cost of "peace and stability operations")?

The thing is, the U.S. could give a damn about what price they pay for those respurces, especially in terms of lives lost.

I guess I was thinking in terms of policymaking -- what is the correct course of action for policymakers. I took away from your post that you were justifying massive hard and soft power intervention in that region because it resulted in cheap fuel for the US economy. I was simply saying that when you consider the cost to the tax payer to support those interventions, there may be no benefit.
Trey
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject:

ctb619 wrote:
GameFace wrote:
ctb619 wrote:
^ If we accept your premise, that we're in that region to secure access to oil and natural gas (not unreasonable), shouldn't we factor in the cost of our military adventures in the Middle East and Southwest Asia (and elsewhere) to what we pay at the pump? In other words, you say we'd be paying $7 a gallon if we weren't there, but perhaps we are paying that much or more regardless (factoring in the cost of "peace and stability operations")?

The thing is, the U.S. could give a damn about what price they pay for those respurces, especially in terms of lives lost.

I guess I was thinking in terms of policymaking -- what is the correct course of action for policymakers. I took away from your post that you were justifying massive hard and soft power intervention in that region because it resulted in cheap fuel for the US economy. I was simply saying that when you consider the cost to the tax payer to support those interventions, there may be no benefit.

The people that make the policies don't even have children in the armed forces.. just bodies in their minds.. bodies that increase their bank accounts and give them something to get people riled up about
LALdynasty!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject:

3.81 at my usual station in Costa Mesa right now. And rising.
ctb619
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject:

There are a number of politicians and policymakers that either served in the armed forces or have children in the armed forces. Heck, Joe Biden's son deployed to Iraq (as did McCain's, I believe). Most of them are staunch supporters of various forms of military and soft-power intervention abroad.

But I don't want to get too far off on a tangent...

Does anyone here have a dual-sport motorcycle? I'm thinking about picking up a KLR650 to save on my fuel costs.
GameFace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Trey wrote:
GameFace wrote:
Trey wrote:
GameFace wrote:
This is a prime example as to why it was necessary to have a military presence in the Middle East, especially when Saddam was in power. Had that lunatic conquered Saudi Arabia, we'd be playing about 7 bucks or more a gallon. ANY sight of turmOIL in the Mid-East and the OPEC pimps will start to raise barrel prices. So, like it or not, that's why America has to maintain and manage the situation over there. Oil - it is what it is.

America created the situation over there.. get it

CIA Website
https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for-the-study-of-intelligence/csi-publications/csi-studies/studies/vol48no2/article10.html

Never said who created it. All I said is it is what it is.

True.. but it is sad that my neighbors die not to protect me or a system that is a light in the darkness... they protect psychos who will do anything to secure more dollars

I completely agree.
GameFace
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:27 pm    Post subject:

ctb619 wrote:
GameFace wrote:
ctb619 wrote:

Ah, I see what you're saying. You're saying it's a wash of sorts, correct? And I think saying I was "justifying" may be a bit misleading, I was merely pointing out there's a reason why.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Gas is 4.17 here on the island, for regular!
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:18 pm    Post subject:

And with the by-products of petroluem extraction in hand, as it were, the oil companies are now demanding, er, requesting that we bend over so they can ... complete the job. So to speak.

Long live oligarchy!
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
And with the by-products of petroluem extraction in hand, as it were, the oil companies are now demanding, er, requesting that we bend over so they can ... complete the job. So to speak.

Long live oligarchy!

Haven't you heard? Lowering their taxes some more and reducing already negligible regulations are the only way to get them to treat us better. the free market rules!
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject:

Trey wrote:

Teh best part of capitalism is that the rich stay rich and get richer and don't care if you and your family dies for them to get more $$$'s ..

Its not capitalism that is at fault imo.

Its the fractional reserve banking practices that banks are allowed to get away with. Thats the cause of most of the worlds financial problems. They essentially have the power to create money out of thin air. Thats how the money supply is expanded. The reason why the entire world is in debt to them and why they practically own everything is because they gave themselves the power to create money.

The result is that money comes from debt. Plain and simple. Thats why everyone seems to be in debt at the same time In this system, one person being profitable means another person goes down.

We as a country need to take control of our money supply away from banks and have a system in place where money is not created from debt.

As long as our money supply continues to be expanded by banks when they makes loans, debt is always going to be around. Thats why this talk about cutting the national debt doesnt make sense. It would eventually implode the system.

We are heading towards a default probably within the next 7 years.

If you havent already done so, start buying physical silver. Its going to skyrocket.
DonMagicWand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject:

The "rent is too damn high" guy needs to make a sequel for gas.

R.I.P.&G. Dr. Buss
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:45 am    Post subject:

http://money.cnn.com/news/storysupplement/economy/gas_prices_by_state/index.html

California's is high, but still not as high as Toronto's $4.69/gal !!!!
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: