imagine owning the Lakers. How would you fix this s*** show?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject:

1. Fire Luke, Magic, Pelinka

2. Hire Sam Hinkie and Jay Wright - No more "Laker family" B.S. Just get the most qualified people. Hinkie would finally institute a real analytics department within the organization.

3. Talking about getting rid of LeBron is stupid, so we have to stick to the current plan. Preferably, we'd sign Kawhi, Klay, or KD and just let Lonzo develop. If not see if the AD deal is there, take it, and fill out the roster with great role players using the 3rd "max" slot.

4. Regardless of what happens in step 3, see whatever deal is out there for Brandon Ingram and trade him. He's never going to be a star player and he's not good enough at all other aspects of the game to excuse his poor outside shooting. It's time to move on from him. Maybe we can get an unprotected pick.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:16 am    Post subject:

Stop punting every damn year
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
-Let Magic, Pelinka, & Luke go.

-Open those jobs up to the rest of the basketball world, paying top dollar to attract the best and brightest.

-Invest more in the infrastructural components of the organization. Analytics, training staff, player development, etc. Again, paying top dollar.

-Rely heavily on Jesse Buss.

-Barring some jaw-dropping run by him at the end of the season, I'd ask LeBron for a couple of preferred destinations and trade him to one of them. He's still great, but I don't think he's "alter the entire trajectory of the franchise" great anymore.

-Talk to Lonzo, Ingram, & Kuzma and let them know they're not being traded this summer.

-Do not punt cap space again. If you can't sign max guys, sign guys to reasonable long term deals.

-Adjust the expectations of the fans to let them know the intention is to build slow and build strong, which means there are no quick fixes and incremental progress from year to year. If max guys want to sign, great, but the Lakers world doesn't revolve around that anymore.

I agree with all of this except for firing Luke, Magic and Rob.

Luke has done a great job hands down. The team was playing great before the injuries and trade rumors hit. They were playing really good D and improving on the offense. I would hire a veteran assistant coach to help Luke with the play calling. That is it.

Magic and Rob will be fine- but it was hubris to not bring Jerry West back as a consultant. And lean on Jessie Buss, he is a great talent evaluator.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject:

Great and fun thread. I've read through everyone and will be incorporating some of the early ideas.

I'd immediately let it be known that there is a 'new sheriff in town' to set the tone LeBron/Klutch doesn't run the franchise. Display to Kawhi more than anything.

I'd quietly start the search for brightest and best minds in analytics, strength/conditioning, medical staff, coaching, assistants, marketing, player development, etc.

Rest of Season

1) Force Luke to hire Thibs as associate HC for the rest of the year. to run the defense.

2) Sign Morris and hope Deandre Jordan comes available. If so, cut Muscala for him. (Thanks Magic).

3) Let this season play out and hope we can make the playoffs. Whatever happens happens.

Summer 2019

Approach: Understand we have LeBron and while he's not the same, know he brings in the big bucks and do so as the 1st/2nd piece on a championship team. While I'd somewhat be open to the idea of moving him, I'd rather build around him for the next 3 years.

1) Find out from Jerry West if he would come consult with us if we fired Magic/Pelinka and making Ryan West GM. If he says yes, then bye bye Maginka. If not, promote Ryan West to assistant GM, and Jesse Buss to President while releasing Magic but keeping Pelinka. As new owner, I'd get very involved with basketball ops.

2) Fire Luke- part of me wants to force him into a better staff, but the other part of me would want a clean slate so the players know that this is going to be a new start and we want a new attitude. Maybe Luke is too stale and we need a new voice.

3) First and foremost, I'd make a HUGE push to get Jay Wright. Offer record money if need be. But he's my guy. Brings stability, culture, great schemes, class, integrity, etc. If I couldn't get Jay, I'd try and poach Quinn Snyder or Eric Spolstra. When that inevitably fails, I'd open the coaching search and cast a wide net. Whoever I'd hire I want to bring on the best staff possible to make up for their weaknesses.

3) Hire best available person/people to run the infrastructural components of the organization. Medical staff, strength and conditioning, analytics, player development, marketing, client relations, PR, etc. I'd splurge on these areas. I'd purge every single department we currently have.

4) Target Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, and Klay in that order. Any of those guys get a max. With Kawhi, I'd make him feel like this is his team and that LeBron is hid sidekick. He can offensively play the Pippen role to Kawhi as Jordan. Ideally we sign DJ with the remaining cap after Kawhi. If none accept, I sign guys who can help us become a strong playoff teams to very fair deals- guys like Vuc.

5) AD- Depending on who we sign, I make a final offer to NO that only includes 2 of our young players (Kuz, BI, Lonzo) + picks. If that doesn't work, cool. Wait out until he's a FA in 2020 and if we need/want to, we can then move the fair value contracts we signed in 2019.

6) Player development Player development Player development - make these kids the best they can be.

7) Get rid of the stupid white jerseys and the black stripes.

Ideal roster heading into next season:

Jordan | Wagner
LeBron | Kuzma
Ingram | Bullock
Kawhi | Hart
Lonzo | Rondo

but totally fine with a lesser roster as long as it's competitive with he top 4 of the west. Once LeBron comes off the books, use that cap space to get a star if possible but if not, add pieces that can help win games and hopefully by then we've developed some stars.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

-Open those jobs up to the rest of the basketball world, paying top dollar to attract the best and brightest.

-Invest more in the infrastructural components of the organization. Analytics, training staff, player development, etc. Again, paying top dollar.

-Barring some jaw-dropping run by him at the end of the season, I'd ask LeBron for a couple of preferred destinations and trade him to one of them. He's still great, but I don't think he's "alter the entire trajectory of the franchise" great anymore.

-Talk to Lonzo, Ingram, & Kuzma and let them know they're not being traded this summer.

-Do not punt cap space again. If you can't sign max guys, sign guys to reasonable long term deals.

-Adjust the expectations of the fans to let them know the intention is to build slow and build strong, which means there are no quick fixes and incremental progress from year to year. If max guys want to sign, great, but the Lakers world doesn't revolve around that anymore.

Luke has done a great job hands down. The team was playing great before the injuries and trade rumors hit. They were playing really good D and improving on the offense. I would hire a veteran assistant coach to help Luke with the play calling. That is it.

Magic and Rob will be fine- but it was hubris to not bring Jerry West back as a consultant. And lean on Jessie Buss, he is a great talent evaluator.

Most of the other things can't happen without letting them go - especially Magic & Pelinka.
MustardJam
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

You'd have to start with firing them there's no way around it.

I agree that Luke isn't bad and is getting a lot of unjustified hate. That being said, it looks like he lost the locker room and there's really no coming back from that. They need a coach that will hold is ground and not let players dictate anything.

As for the front office, they've been terrible. Repeatedly shown incompetence.
smoothazsilk
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

System and Player development.

get someone or some team that can do the above. We have talent but they look out of sync or our of position.

If we had the players playing like they're capable the Davis trade going public would not have mattered.

That what makes the great teams great, they have an effective system and get the right players to run it.

Keep Magic as the front man like he is on the Dodgers, but he has no right making basketball decisions.

We need a basketball operations guy/gal who knows the business and has the relationships needed.

We need to move out the past and into the future with some innovative thinking..like the Rams and McVay.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

love this idea
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'd make luke get a new staff and add a shooting coach to fix and tweak their shooting forms. Revamp the anyalitcs department

Besides that I wouldn't do anything and just wait to see how the summer goes. After that I would reevaluate the team to see if we need any big changes.
TrueBlueLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject:

I'd hire Jerry West as a consultant if he's available.

West would have final say over Pelinka.

I'd hire Mark Jackson as coach, provided he understands that we need experienced assistant coaches and lots of player development.

I'd let every player know that anyone shooting under 67% from the FT line will not see much playing time next year. 75% is the minimum goal for everyone on the team.

I'd try to sign one or two top free agents this summer, if not, I'd try again next summer. The key is we will be developing our talent in the meanwhile and getting better as a team.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
Dr. Funkbot wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Most of the other things can't happen without letting them go - especially Magic & Pelinka.

andrewc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Great and fun thread. I've read through everyone and will be incorporating some of the early ideas.

I'd immediately let it be known that there is a 'new sheriff in town' to set the tone LeBron/Klutch doesn't run the franchise. Display to Kawhi more than anything.

I'd quietly start the search for brightest and best minds in analytics, strength/conditioning, medical staff, coaching, assistants, marketing, player development, etc.

Rest of Season

1) Force Luke to hire Thibs as associate HC for the rest of the year. to run the defense.

2) Sign Morris and hope Deandre Jordan comes available. If so, cut Muscala for him. (Thanks Magic).

3) Let this season play out and hope we can make the playoffs. Whatever happens happens.

Summer 2019

Approach: Understand we have LeBron and while he's not the same, know he brings in the big bucks and do so as the 1st/2nd piece on a championship team. While I'd somewhat be open to the idea of moving him, I'd rather build around him for the next 3 years.

1) Find out from Jerry West if he would come consult with us if we fired Magic/Pelinka and making Ryan West GM. If he says yes, then bye bye Maginka. If not, promote Ryan West to assistant GM, and Jesse Buss to President while releasing Magic but keeping Pelinka. As new owner, I'd get very involved with basketball ops.

2) Fire Luke- part of me wants to force him into a better staff, but the other part of me would want a clean slate so the players know that this is going to be a new start and we want a new attitude. Maybe Luke is too stale and we need a new voice.

3) First and foremost, I'd make a HUGE push to get Jay Wright. Offer record money if need be. But he's my guy. Brings stability, culture, great schemes, class, integrity, etc. If I couldn't get Jay, I'd try and poach Quinn Snyder or Eric Spolstra. When that inevitably fails, I'd open the coaching search and cast a wide net. Whoever I'd hire I want to bring on the best staff possible to make up for their weaknesses.

3) Hire best available person/people to run the infrastructural components of the organization. Medical staff, strength and conditioning, analytics, player development, marketing, client relations, PR, etc. I'd splurge on these areas. I'd purge every single department we currently have.

4) Target Kawhi, KD, Kyrie, and Klay in that order. Any of those guys get a max. With Kawhi, I'd make him feel like this is his team and that LeBron is hid sidekick. He can offensively play the Pippen role to Kawhi as Jordan. Ideally we sign DJ with the remaining cap after Kawhi. If none accept, I sign guys who can help us become a strong playoff teams to very fair deals- guys like Vuc.

5) AD- Depending on who we sign, I make a final offer to NO that only includes 2 of our young players (Kuz, BI, Lonzo) + picks. If that doesn't work, cool. Wait out until he's a FA in 2020 and if we need/want to, we can then move the fair value contracts we signed in 2019.

6) Player development Player development Player development - make these kids the best they can be.

Jordan | Wagner
LeBron | Kuzma
Ingram | Bullock
Kawhi | Hart
Lonzo | Rondo

but totally fine with a lesser roster as long as it's competitive with he top 4 of the west. Once LeBron comes off the books, use that cap space to get a star if possible but if not, add pieces that can help win games and hopefully by then we've developed some stars.

I love your #7 so much. Didn't even think of this. We should also be calling up Nike to fix the neon yellow jerseys.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
I'd make luke get a new staff and add a shooting coach to fix and tweak their shooting forms. Revamp the anyalitcs department

Besides that I wouldn't do anything and just wait to see how the summer goes. After that I would reevaluate the team to see if we need any big changes.

That's about it for me, too. I think Maginka realizes now how badly they screwed up on the personnel side of the shooting problem so all that's left is improving what you already have. Ingram particularly needs to get a directive that it's not okay anymore to ignore the three-point line in your offseason workout regimen. How that was allowed to happen in 2018 is simply mind-boggling.

Sadly, a lot comes down to luck. Without the injuries (or just less of them), even with all the flaws, I think this is a playoff team.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Does the FO of any team any sport hire assistants for the head coach? serious question
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

big words

I agree with most of it

I would still trade any of our young guys for the right price though
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:

I think this is the correct, common-sense approach.

Making huge, rash changes over and over again is the exact wrong way to build long-term success. Yes, you need great people at the top, and I don't know if Luke, Magic and Rob (and Jeannie) are those people, but they also need to be given the chance to build to their vision.

It's frustrating as a fan to see such disappointing play, but the Lakers are not a great team yet, so performances like last night's game are going to happen.

It's critical to surround the team with the very best in player development, analytics, athletic performance, and excellent assistant coaches. No matter what Rob says, it's obvious we're not there yet. And that can be done without huge disruption. Everything else will take time, and we just have to wait.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Nothing will change so long as Jeannie is in charge. That's the problem with hiring people you're personally close to. I can see her firing Luke eventually if enough pressure is applied from the other decision-makers, but Magic? He's going to have to step down himself if we want to be rid of him. Unfortunately, that probably won't happen until the worst damage is done.

I'd love to get Hinkie in here as a consultant, though. That's assuming, of course, that he actually has real influence on the moves we make.

For coach, we almost HAVE to trade Lebron if we want to get someone who would be allowed to do his job, but in that case I'd prefer to get someone on the younger side who's proven to be a capable assistant on a successful team - both schematically in some capacity and as a leader/mediator (someone said Udoka, and that's a good candidate). Bring someone with experience like a Mike Brown (not him specifically, but as an example) to be lead assistant, and/or at least try to fill in the gaps of the head coach's skillset with different assistant coaches. Guys with a solid history of player development should be a must. (Gosh, I'm realizing how our current staff is the exact opposite of an ideal one...)

Obviously, the organizational infrastructure outside of management/coaching needs to be upgraded substantially like GT said. That's been a long time coming.

Ah...it is nice to dream, isn't it? But as I said above, most of us this just can't happen with Jeannie, Magic, and Lebron around, and chances of that changing are miniscule.
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

love this idea

Love this!

I remember when Magic was first hired and he did an interview with Mason. They asked him about analytics, his only response was
"Gotta have it"

He clearly had no idea what he was talking about
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject:

andrewc wrote:
2019 wrote:

Rest of Season

Summer 2019

Jordan | Wagner
LeBron | Kuzma
Ingram | Bullock
Kawhi | Hart
Lonzo | Rondo

I love your #7 so much. Didn't even think of this. We should also be calling up Nike to fix the neon yellow jerseys.

Id go back to only:
Blue on road
Yellow at home
White at home on Sundays

I think the coolest thing is that the Yankees dont have alternates and throwbacks.
I view as being in that league
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject:

>dump LeBron in any way I can

>use all available means to seduce Jerry West until he agrees to bind his soul to this organization once and for all

>end the ridiculous pageantry of the starting lineups intro at Staples Center

>re-emphasize the Lakers band

>dump Magic and buy out all of his shares

>commission a statue of Jack Nicholson inside the concourse

>go back to the home gold and purple away uniforms, burn all jerseys designed after 2008

>begin construction of gulag and re-education camp for Clippers fans deep beneath the Staples Center. 2nd generation Clippers fans and their parents go straight to the gulag where they will serve life sentences. 1st generation Clippers fans go to re-education camp which is a gulag but with left handed desks for seating

Last edited by Huey Lewis & The News on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject:

What is Michael Coopers rep as a coach?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject:

foshowtime wrote:

I think the coolest thing is that the Yankees dont have alternates and throwbacks.
I view as being in that league

contrasting unis aren't needed in baseball...
The Juggernaut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

The first three must be done imo ASAP. Get the right people at the top that can properly assess and fill in the other holes in the organization
foshowtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
>dump LeBron in any way I can

>use all available means to seduce Jerry West until he agrees to bind his soul to this organization once and for all

>end the ridiculous pageantry of the starting lineups intro at Staples Center

>re-emphasize the Lakers band

>dump Magic and buy out all of his shares

>commission a statue of Jack Nicholson inside the concourse

>go back to the home gold and purple away uniforms, burn all jerseys designed after 2008

>begin construction of gulag and re-education camp for Clippers fans deep beneath the Staples Center. 2nd generation Clippers fans and their parents go straight to the gulag where they will serve life sentences. 1st generation Clippers fans go to re-education camp which is a gulag but with left handed desks for seating

Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I think it's still premature to judge maginka so harshly without giving them enough time to implement their vision. At the beginning of the year the focus for us as well as from them was summer 2019. All of a sudden everyone wants them gone asap. Rome wasnt built in a day and they've added the biggest piece in lebron and drafted some good guys already.

The only issue I really have has been the constant punting but I dont want maginka gone for it lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7
Jump to: