***LAKERS vs. T-Wolves Pre-Season Game Thread 10/4/10***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Isaiah
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Las Vegas (formerly from Metro Manila, Philippines)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject:

fadeaway8 wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Lakers without Kobe hum like a Well-Oiled Machine.

good luck finding the stat to back that up.

Kobe played six minutes, technically the Lakers were WITH Kobe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
SP_Fever
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject:

they lost by 19
Phil Jackson (June 17th, 2009):"What was our model of this team? The Ring, the ring, that was the model. Its not just this band of gold, its the circle that's made a bond between all of these players, a great love for one another, its a great feeling."
Coastal_Eddie
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject:

SP_Fever wrote:
they lost by 19

I dont think the League understands how the Lakers org treats their pre-seasons. They use them primarily to get the young and new guys up to speed with the system and their new teammates. They know what they're going to get from the starters(give/take), so sending this team to Europe to "showcase" them was a bad idea from the get go.
ThreePointBomber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Blake and vujacic make a good speed back court. Brown played really well.
MedRomLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank god I watched this on kcal, couldn't watch it live and wouldn't want to hear douche berry. This game was coo but obvious that many of the players were other than LO were still trying to get into game shape/groove of the season. Pau will probably play better in Spain since he'll want to make an impression at home. Seemed like he was taking this game too serious which isn't surprising.

Side note: Stu was a bit peeved about inconsistent calls against the lakers, specifically hand offs.

4/30/14 the day the ant left the building!!!!!!
doven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:

I MISSED THE GAME!!!

Any links for a replay?
Triple-Threat-Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject:

Turnovers and missed free throws. Pretty much the sum of the game. I liked Shannon's first half, and Caracter's/Ratliff's inside presence. Definitely going to be an improvement over Powell/Mbenga. Farmar also isn't going to be missed. Blake is an immediate improvement.
acadia11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject:

A Day in the Life wrote:
Turnovers and missed free throws. Pretty much the sum of the game. I liked Shannon's first half, and Caracter's/Ratliff's inside presence. Definitely going to be an improvement over Powell/Mbenga. Farmar also isn't going to be missed. Blake is an immediate improvement.

Yeah, Caracter, couldn't knock down his shots and free throws going 1-8
and 0-2, but his offense is a known quantity that will be there, seemed a little hesitant in shooting, if he stays confident in his offense those will fall next time. The bright side is his defence was much improved , and he pulled down 9 boards in 18 minutes. Those shots start falling and seems you might have a consistent double double guy. Maybe Thompson's claim during the telecast that he has Karl Malone like potential might not be far off.

Ratliff, looked solid, as a 15 year vet should. Blake solid, Ebanks, very active, and was disruptive on defense. They lost, but you can tell, the young guys just need confidence in their abilities and consistency and they will be a force to be reckoned.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject:

acadia11 wrote:
Maybe Thompson's claim during the telecast that he has Karl Malone like potential might not be far off.

Yeah it is. Karl Malone? 25/10/4, 19 yr career? 2 MVPs? Mychal was being Mychal.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:

Have you ever seen a first preseason game that was good?

The location of the game has no impact whatsoever on its importance to the team and nor should it.

I remember Phil's first one w/ us in 10/99. Ugly loss to the Wizards, went 2-6 that year. Phil had the same approach to the preseason in Chicago.

Last decent preseason games we had were under previous coaches. We used to play Boston 2-3 times in the PS in year's past, for example. Magic and Larry's final head to head came in the preseason in 91-92. I remember a great one in 90 vs Portland where both teams knew it was an early statement game. 94 was pretty good, iirc, because it was a new team trying to carve out a name. Different teams, times, and circumstances, tho.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject:

The second half shooting went cold, and the defense was sloppy. Not a big deal, it's just the result of rust and a rebuilt second unit that hasn't played together.
Caught in the devil's bargain
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

-Joni Mitchell
acadia11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:
Maybe Thompson's claim during the telecast that he has Karl Malone like potential might not be far off.

Yeah it is. Karl Malone? 25/10/4, 19 yr career? 2 MVPs? Mychal was being Mychal.

Of course, I didn't say he is, I said, myabe he has Karl Malone potential. Keyword "pontential".
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:16 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:

If Caracter turns out to be Mychal Thompson (a valuable rotation player and solid contributor off the bench on back to back title teams), I'd be very happy considering he was # 58.

I think that is realistic potential, with a few years of PT. He's got the physical skills and size. GReat watching him get after it on the glass yesterday.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:

Have you ever seen a first preseason game that was good?

The location of the game has no impact whatsoever on its importance to the team and nor should it.

I remember Phil's first one w/ us in 10/99. Ugly loss to the Wizards, went 2-6 that year. Phil had the same approach to the preseason in Chicago.

Last decent preseason games we had were under previous coaches. We used to play Boston 2-3 times in the PS in year's past, for example. Magic and Larry's final head to head came in the preseason in 91-92. I remember a great one in 90 vs Portland where both teams knew it was an early statement game. 94 was pretty good, iirc, because it was a new team trying to carve out a name. Different teams, times, and circumstances, tho.

Kind of like the Wolves were yesterday. Hopefully they enjoyed their moment in the sun, as Lakers will smoke them during the season.
acadia11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:51 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:

If Caracter turns out to be Mychal Thompson (a valuable rotation player and solid contributor off the bench on back to back title teams), I'd be very happy considering he was # 58.

I think that is realistic potential, with a few years of PT. He's got the physical skills and size. GReat watching him get after it on the glass yesterday.

I think it's a given he'll be a solid rotational player, I think that's the minimum though and the ceiling is much higher.

I think Ebanks could be better than Ariza, as well.
Tris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject:

babyskyhook wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:

I like Caracter. However, he is still making rookie mistake every now an then. He tried his favorite hook shot on Darko and got rejected. It's a little concern. It seems his hook shot is not that effective against taller opponent. Let's hope he retain the confidence to keep using it.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:49 pm    Post subject:

acadia11 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:

Of course, I didn't say he is, I said, myabe he has Karl Malone potential. Keyword "pontential".

He doesn't. Malone was never a sleeper, college included, even at a small school. Mychal compared the potential of DC w/ a blue chipper. That's not to say DC can't be a pretty good player. Malone is a bit much, however.

Malone's potential was: superstar.
acadia11
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:24 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:
acadia11 wrote:

He doesn't. Malone was never a sleeper, college included, even at a small school. Mychal compared the potential of DC w/ a blue chipper. That's not to say DC can't be a pretty good player. Malone is a bit much, however.

Malone's potential was: superstar.

I don't think Caracter was a sleeper. Remember the kid was the number 1 kid in his class until his sr year of hs, a class that included Greg Oden, who he dominated, and Kevin Durant, what he was someone who stopped working and improving, do to a variety of issues, the guy was at one point mentioned in the same breath as Lebron in terms hs, can't miss prospects. His last year at utep was probably his first full year of basketball, in 4 years having been suspended his sr year of hs, and quite often his first 2 years at louisville, if he could have stayed on the court at Louisville it's highly unlikely he wouldn't have been a high lotto pick. Rick Pitino, stated he was the most talented big man he'd ever coached, and he'd either become the best player he's had or the biggest bust due to his well documented issues. It wasn't at all that the guy was a sleeper, it's that he was written off after staying suspendedand out of shape at Louisville, and then resurfacing at utep. If he becomes anything remotely close to Karl Malone, it's not him overachieving it's him actually fulfilling the potential people saw before he fell from grace. Is it a long shot sure, but I think if he keeps working, hittingg the gym and just practicing relentlessly the talent is there. For example he tried a hook shot 12ft away from the rim on 7 1 guy, a fadeaway jumper would have been far more appropriate, even darko who had a few inches on him used that shot as opposed to the hook from that distance on Caracter. The point this is probably te first time since hs u see his game having the opportunity to grow.

How quickly we forget,

http://www.recruitzone.com/news.asp?ArticleID=123

I don't think sleeper is accurate term, I think written off is more accurate. YOu can see the begins of the downfall, when people are rating you the number 1 kid as an 8th grader for all classes including 9-12 at Nike Invitational, it's real easy to get big headed and stop working. Not to mention after dominating performance in his first games as 9th grader, he already starts showing up late to practise. This guy is alot more talented then you realize and the only thing stopping him from having a K. Malone career is simply a matter of how much work he's willing to put in.
lakefan24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject:

whoever takes the game seriously really shouldn't.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26
Page 26 of 26
Jump to: