NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2547, 2548, 2549 ... 2679, 2680, 2681  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:01 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
ocho wrote:
Would Austin/Rui/Gabe/3 1sts (and parting ways with DLo) for Trae Young be the worst trade in Lakers history?

Duuuude?!? Why bring that up? Please don’t tell me someone considered it, as any thing other than the worse trade in Laker history.

he has sauces

Y’all not trusting Pelinka to not do something like this?

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Would Austin/Rui/Gabe/3 1sts (and parting ways with DLo) for Trae Young be the worst trade in Lakers history?

Duuuude?!? Why bring that up? Please don’t tell me someone considered it, as any thing other than the worse trade in Laker history.

We’ve been linked to Trae in rumors for years and he’s reportedly an off season target. Pelinka has suggested they might use the 3 available 1sts this summer. Those are the contracts needed to match. If they want to pursue Young, the package is going to look something like that.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
ocho wrote:

We’ve been linked to Trae in rumors for years and he’s reportedly an off season target. Pelinka has suggested they might use the 3 available 1sts this summer. Those are the contracts needed to match. If they want to pursue Young, the package is going to look something like that.

Trae + vando covering his guy would be awesome

No Rui tough
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn’t want to lose rui.
If we trade for Trae can we keep Dlo?

Young
Dlo
Vando
Lebron
AD

I’d consider it if that was the case.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:01 am    Post subject:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275246/LeBron-James-Expected-To-Opt-Out-Seek-No-Trade-Clause-In-Next-Contract-With-Lakers

This is not something you want to hear, no trade clause for a 40 year LeBron would be a awful move
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:08 am    Post subject:

if LeBron wants to win he should take a pay cut

He's not that guy anymore, he doesn't provide enough excess value to be a real contender.

Take a page out of 2012 Duncan's book (or whenever he signed that cheaper deal)
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:44 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

He's not that guy anymore, he doesn't provide enough excess value to be a real contender.

Duncan never generated the numbers that he did. Never ever let’s not compare them at all
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:53 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Kobe said Athletes should never take anything less their value. I agree.

why take paycut when owners or even the league is making billions based on your name.

will you take a paycut in ur next job thats offered to you? its just silly to expect somebody else to take paycut.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/275246/LeBron-James-Expected-To-Opt-Out-Seek-No-Trade-Clause-In-Next-Contract-With-Lakers

This is not something you want to hear, no trade clause for a 40 year LeBron would be a awful move

Nobody is trying a GOAT without them asking for it. If he re-signs, he wants to retire here and is okay with whatever happens. So a trade clause really means nothing other than making him feel good and the public feel his power.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

It doesn't mean we could never trade him, just that we couldn't trade him to a destination he doesn't prefer. Which is what the agreement is now implicitly anyway. This would just formalize that.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

How would Lebron taking 20 million or 30 million help the Lakers add? They wouldn't gain significant cap space, just help ownership save tax money
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:28 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

How could you logically, realistically, honestly, say that? That Lebron doesn’t provide enough to be a real contender? The way it looks to me the team would have been a real contender if they had just started Rui/AR/Dlo for the first 40 games with Lebron on the team as is. Then consider had they kept Schroeder (14.5ppg/6apg/38%3pt), or had Vincent provide what was expected, Vando not missed most of the season, even Wood being available now, it does look like the Lakers could be a contender with Lebron.

I thought the boo birds thinking it should be blown up because there was no chance of winning had gone extinct. Smgdh
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

How could you logically, realistically, honestly, say that? That Lebron doesn’t provide enough to be a real contender? The way it looks to me the team would have been a real contender if they had just started Rui/AR/Dlo for the first 40 games with Lebron on the team as is. Then consider had they kept Schroeder (14.5ppg/6apg/38%3pt), or had Vincent provide what was expected, Vando not missed most of the season, even Wood being available now, it does look like the Lakers could be a contender with Lebron.

I thought the boo birds thinking it should be blown up because there was no chance of winning had gone extinct. Smgdh

This team is a couple of steps away from being a contender, but the required changes have nothing to do with LeBron or AD. The people looking to trade them and blow it up are just in search of novelty. There's no guarantee you get a player at either of their calibers anytime in the next decade, let alone two on the same team with further teambuilding optionality.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:50 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
tox wrote:

This team is a couple of steps away from being a contender, but the required changes have nothing to do with LeBron or AD. The people looking to trade them and blow it up are just in search of novelty. There's no guarantee you get a player at either of their calibers anytime in the next decade, let alone two on the same team with further teambuilding optionality.

I completely agree! Say we’re not a contender…I get that…I don’t think we are either. But to put it on LBJ/AD…nah man…it’s on Ham 1st for not going with the team Rob paid for in Dlo/AR/Rui. Then perhaps there’s enough blame to go around for Rob/Jeanie not acquiring in the off season or trade for at the deadline, a big back up C. Finally Injuries played a part as well but I thought LBJ and AD had proved they could compete for a ship against circumstances beyond their control.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 pm    Post subject:

This team is a Top 4 team in the league if Ham doesn't punt that 3 week stretch in December to January. We've been playing like a contending team lately and we're still not fully healthy. Vando's been out most of the year and he changes things for us dramatically.

Sometimes you gotta look at trajectory as opposed to narrative.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

they would never trade him anyway. if he's ever getting traded its at his request so having that clause is really a moot point
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Does LeBron signing a contract extension hinged on a playoff run and Bronny getting drafted by the Lakers? He forgot to mention all that.. It does seem like Windhorst likes blowing stuff out of his ass a lot of times
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:56 am    Post subject:

It makes perfect sen$e. LJ will get more money (any maybe tack on another year with a player option). He will be still have the luxury of getting traded if he wants to and not the Lakers. I don't think Bronny has anything to do with this. He is not going to get a commitment to get drafted in the 1st from any team (including the Lakers). He is entering the transfer portal (USC staff is completely different). He can still stay if he wants but he is leaving his options open.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:25 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
tox wrote:

Duncan never generated the numbers that he did. Never ever let’s not compare them at all

It doesn't matter, I am not saying LeBron needs to take a paycut to $20M per year. Even $35M will make a big difference, if it means this team can keep depth without hitting the second apron
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:26 am    Post subject:

CamReddish wrote:
tox wrote:

How would Lebron taking 20 million or 30 million help the Lakers add? They wouldn't gain significant cap space, just help ownership save tax money

Second apron. You're not gonna hard cap yourself to pay $6M to Max Christie a year, but what if then next year he becomes a viable 3&D guy?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:28 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

why take paycut when owners or even the league is making billions based on your name.

will you take a paycut in ur next job thats offered to you? its just silly to expect somebody else to take paycut.

Because the salary cap also exists to maintain competitive balance... and the mechanism by which superstars like Kobe and LeBron won so much is by being way more valuable than the artificial limit imposed on the salary cap. LeBron is still good, maybe even $50M good, but he's not $70M good and that lack of excess value makes winning that much harder.

If Tim Duncan took market value in 2012 he would not have won in 2014 (and had a chance in 2013, 2016, or 2017 for that matter)
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:

Almost every year the NBA champion is one of the frontrunners. The 2022 Warriors are one of the exceptions. The Lakers were a contender and had a shot much like the 2022 Warriors if they had some better health and better coaching. Do I think they were the favorites to even win the west over Denver? Probably not?

If you look ahead to next year, the Lakers will hit the second apron just keeping this roster IIUC. This roster has not shown dominance like regular season Celtics or postseason Nuggets (last year). Meanwhile Lebron & AD get another year older next year... and we might have a worse roster to boot if we can't keep Russell, Prince, Dinwiddie... maybe even Christie?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:29 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

Because the salary cap also exists to maintain competitive balance... and the mechanism by which superstars like Kobe and LeBron won so much is by being way more valuable than the artificial limit imposed on the salary cap. LeBron is still good, maybe even $50M good, but he's not $70M good and that lack of excess value makes winning that much harder.

If Tim Duncan took market value in 2012 he would not have won in 2014 (and had a chance in 2013, 2016, or 2017 for that matter)

1 guy brain washed by pop. Kobe, Bron, Luka all athletes need to get paid their value.

Take less so the old bastards can make $$$.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:04 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

1 guy brain washed by pop. Kobe, Bron, Luka all athletes need to get paid their value.

Take less so the old bastards can make $$$.

I don't think Tim Duncan was brain washed. He is simply not that greedy or driven purely by ego. There are people out there that feel like they have enough money or can sacrifice for a greater goal you know.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
tox wrote:

Almost every year the NBA champion is one of the frontrunners. The 2022 Warriors are one of the exceptions. The Lakers were a contender and had a shot much like the 2022 Warriors if they had some better health and better coaching. Do I think they were the favorites to even win the west over Denver? Probably not?

If you look ahead to next year, the Lakers will hit the second apron just keeping this roster IIUC. This roster has not shown dominance like regular season Celtics or postseason Nuggets (last year). Meanwhile Lebron & AD get another year older next year... and we might have a worse roster to boot if we can't keep Russell, Prince, Dinwiddie... maybe even Christie?

All true but the contention is if it is Lebron’s impact that causes the lack of being a front runner. It’s not. Poor coaching and inefficient roster construction is the cause. With the way LBJ/AD are playing it looks like if the coach had just started Dlo/AR/Rui all season it would have made the Lakers #1 in the west.

Counting Clev as top 4 (just fell to 5th by a half game) in the East, the last 30 games had the Lakers playing half their games against top 4 seeds from both conferences. That is a more difficult schedule than the regular season. The Lakers have won 70% of the last 30 games. The following can be considered a stretch but also reasonable as well; the winning percentage would put the Lakers at 55 wins leading the West and 2nd best record in the league.

All that to say, it can be reasonably conceived that LBJ as a player on the Lakers should result in the Lakers being a front runner. Then, if you add in roster construction of keeping Schroeder and adding a big back up C, the team should be even better, perhaps amassing the best record in the NBA this season.

The bottom line is that LBJ is performing in a way that could result in the Lakers being a front runner, there are other factors that make that not the case so it’s not on him that the Lakers are 9th.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2547, 2548, 2549 ... 2679, 2680, 2681  Next
Page 2548 of 2681
Jump to: