NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2648, 2649, 2650 ... 2687, 2688, 2689  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Cleveland Cavaliers will not risk losing Donovan Mitchell for nothing and will trade him if he doesn’t accept their extension offer, rather than letting him play out next season on an expiring contract, per @terrypluto

I’ve been told the Cavs either would sign him to an extension this summer, or trade him. They have zero intention of opening the 2024-25 season with Mitchell heading into his free agent year.”

(Via http://bit.ly/3WYtzX0)

He can sign the extension right now right?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
The Cleveland Cavaliers will not risk losing Donovan Mitchell for nothing and will trade him if he doesn’t accept their extension offer, rather than letting him play out next season on an expiring contract, per @terrypluto

I’ve been told the Cavs either would sign him to an extension this summer, or trade him. They have zero intention of opening the 2024-25 season with Mitchell heading into his free agent year.”

July. He had been eligible earlier in the season and declined.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

This is all as expected. And while I know the reporting has been that they are optimistic that he will extend, I just question why he would extend, since he'd be leaving over $60MM on the table if he simply waits one year. He's enough of a superstar to where even if he got injured, another team would give him a max contract in the summer of 2025 if it came to that. So he's risking very little, imo, if he waits. This is why it was my thought that the Cavs would trade him going back to earlier in the season, barring a deep playoff run. Maybe he'll surprise me and accept the $208.8MM extension or whatever it is, though.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

July. He had been eligible earlier in the season and declined.

Oh.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 12:29 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Palin wrote:
Mikal Bridges is realistic target? Maybe more than Mitchell? Not sure we can beat likes of Cavs, Rockets or Thunder

Those teams (including rockets, assuming they’ll improve)’ picks are most likely out of the lottery in the next 5 to even 7yrs considering how young these teams are. Our ‘29 & ‘31 oth, that’s looking like post AD lottery scenario, hard to top unless they want immediate picks

Example number one why I don’t want to see the FO trading any future first round picks
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:22 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

This is all as expected. And while I know the reporting has been that they are optimistic that he will extend, I just question why he would extend, since he'd be leaving over $60MM on the table if he simply waits one year. He's enough of a superstar to where even if he got injured, another team would give him a max contract in the summer of 2025 if it came to that. So he's risking very little, imo, if he waits. This is why it was my thought that the Cavs would trade him going back to earlier in the season, barring a deep playoff run. Maybe he'll surprise me and accept the $208.8MM extension or whatever it is, though.

All nba news are staged and timed. Alien doesn’t want nba finals to get undermined.

As soon as finals are over …the madness starts 😂
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 1:30 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
governator wrote:
Palin wrote:
Mikal Bridges is realistic target? Maybe more than Mitchell? Not sure we can beat likes of Cavs, Rockets or Thunder

Those teams (including rockets, assuming they’ll improve)’ picks are most likely out of the lottery in the next 5 to even 7yrs considering how young these teams are. Our ‘29 & ‘31 oth, that’s looking like post AD lottery scenario, hard to top unless they want immediate picks

Example number one why I don’t want to see the FO trading any future first round picks

I would not trade any future picks got bridges. He is a role player..
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Palin wrote:

I'm not so sure. Mitchell is the better overall player. For sure.

But CLE has said either he signs the extension, or they trade him. He seems more available than Bridges. Brooklyn seems to want to pair Bridges with a star player. Not give him up for lesser players.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 4:45 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Palin wrote:

But CLE has said either he signs the extension, or they trade him. He seems more available than Bridges. Brooklyn seems to want to pair Bridges with a star player. Not give him up for lesser players.

I think people are over-reading and think Tsai meant tear it down.. I got the feeling he meant not try to rush a rebuild and grow slowly. Bridges is still young enough to let him grow and develop more which the team builds.

Last edited by jb2 on Sun May 26, 2024 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Palin wrote:

Yesterdays news is nets owner want to blow up the roster and rebuild
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Palin wrote:

They aren't good enough for an all-in move for someone like Mitchell if he's available. Bridges is the type of guy you want as a strong supporting player on a contender. They are going nowhere with him if he's a main guy. He has 2 years left on his deal, and they are very unlikely to be a contender in the next 2 seasons. The right play is to trade him for the best combination of FRP's/young players.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject:

If you're watching the level of defense being played in the playoffs, you'll see why I want 2 of DLo/AR/Rui replaced.

I don't think you can win with 3-4 bad defenders out there.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:44 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
If you're watching the level of defense being played in the playoffs, you'll see why I want 2 of DLo/AR/Rui replaced.

I am watching 2 badass offensive dudes owning the dpoy and #1 defensive team

Elite offense >>> elite defense
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Japago wrote:

I am watching 2 badass offensive dudes owning the dpoy and #1 defensive team

Elite offense >>> elite defense

They clamped them up too. They held them without a FG for 4+ minutes in crunch time.

That's been the more consistent thing with them, because Luka actually has mediocre numbers for the playoffs.
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:

Don't disagree we need defenders, but you're also seeing two incredibly high level offensive guards break down Minny's at will which leads to lobs for Gaff/Live, open 3's for PJ/DJJ, and a level of scoring output that's just too tough to match.

So yes, let's add defense, and SIZE, but let's also get someone who can make attack the rim and open up the offense - LeBron can't do it 24/7 these days.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject:

jb2 wrote:
Japago wrote:

Don't disagree we need defenders, but you're also seeing two incredibly high level offensive guards break down Minny's at will which leads to lobs for Gaff/Live, open 3's for PJ/DJJ, and a level of scoring output that's just too tough to match.

So yes, let's add defense, and SIZE, but let's also get someone who can make attack the rim and open up the offense - LeBron can't do it 24/7 these days.

So we have two max contracts that we can’t depend on breaking down the defense?
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Palin wrote:

They aren't good enough for an all-in move for someone like Mitchell if he's available. Bridges is the type of guy you want as a strong supporting player on a contender. They are going nowhere with him if he's a main guy. He has 2 years left on his deal, and they are very unlikely to be a contender in the next 2 seasons. The right play is to trade him for the best combination of FRP's/young players.

I like Bridges. When Bridges is allowed to be a #3 or 4, he'll easily rise up in the DPOY, all-defensive charts. In that sense, he's a super important player on a contending team. His fit on the Suns was close to perfect, and he'd have a ring if CP3 wasn't a total loser. Just a shame they gave the farm up for KD.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
jb2 wrote:
Japago wrote:

Ultimately…imo…ya gotta recognize what has worked in reality on the court and build on that before chasing theoretical workings on paper. Once you build on what has worked…not before…then start considering significant changes for what you think might work. Getting it backwards…looking for wins on paper first before recognizing what worked in reality on the court…results in switching out the wrong players without actually improving the team. That is what the Lakers have done continually the last 6 years and have usually failed miserably either missing the playoffs entirely or being a playin team eliminated in the 1st rd.

Don’t get me wrong, a ship and a WCF in 6 seasons isn’t bad, but it should have been better and would have been if the Lakers recognized which players to bring back. They missed that many times chasing theoretical wins on paper without considering what actually really worked on the court.

Neither Kyrie nor Luka are known for their defense yet the narrative is that the Lakers have to get rid of their offensively minded players. I get that they are special offensively but they have to be because they’re not playing with LBJ/AD. Dlo/AR/Rui won a lot of real games, on the court. I’m hoping for an upgrade, not just switching out.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sun May 26, 2024 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 7:40 pm    Post subject:

^
Yep, Bridges on a team like Boston in a White-like role would be perfect.

Incidentally, I think what Kyrie is doing for Dallas is showing why I want Mitchell on this team. I wouldn't want him if he were already making the supermax, but that will not be the case next season, so since you wouldn't be gutting the depth to get him (you'd basically only be losing 2 rotation players while adding him), I've advocated for getting him if we can make it happen. Anyway, back to Kyrie. Mitchell on this team would give us 2 legit star closers. We do not have that right now. AD is a star, but he's not a closer. It's just not what he is. Never has been. Phoenix has 2 elite star closers, but their problem is that they don't have an elite defender, and they also have no depth because their 3rd supermax player is insanely overpaid and it's a third perimeter player, so they don't have good diversity. The Lakers would have 2 elite closers, plus AD, who would act like a supercharged version of what Dallas has with Gafford/Lively. We'd just need to fill in the margins correctly, but we'd have some depth and I think we'd be a nightmare to defend in crunch time.
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 8:01 pm    Post subject:

jb2 wrote:
Japago wrote:

I continue to champion for a DeJounte Murray trade. He has the potential to offer ALL of that. He's been an amazing defender. He's been a high-level play-maker. He's scored a lot and is a better dribble-driver than DLo or AR.

If a Donovan Mitchell trade doesn't happen, that should be the first place the Lakers go to.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 8:10 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^

Incidentally, I think what Kyrie is doing for Dallas is showing why I want Mitchell on this team. I wouldn't want him if he were already making the supermax, but that will not be the case next season, so since you wouldn't be gutting the depth to get him (you'd basically only be losing 2 rotation players while adding him), I've advocated for getting him if we can make it happen. Anyway, back to Kyrie. Mitchell on this team would give us 2 legit star closers. We do not have that right now. AD is a star, but he's not a closer. It's just not what he is. Never has been. Phoenix has 2 elite star closers, but their problem is that they don't have an elite defender, and they also have no depth because their 3rd supermax player is insanely overpaid and it's a third perimeter player, so they don't have good diversity. The Lakers would have 2 elite closers, plus AD, who would act like a supercharged version of what Dallas has with Gafford/Lively. We'd just need to fill in the margins correctly, but we'd have some depth and I think we'd be a nightmare to defend in crunch time.

What you’re saying sounds great…theoretically on paper…and could logically work on the court. Recognizing what works first however…before switching out the team…shows clearly that scoring hasn’t been the Lakers problem tho. The problem has been backcourt defense, rebounding, and turnovers, not the theoretical need for another closer. Chasing that prospective seemingly sure upgrade with Mitchell fails to recognize that scoring hasn’t been a problem and fails to fix what has been the problem.

I’m not saying Mitchell won’t work, he’s so dynamic he might, but the Lakers won an incredible amount of games at a championship caliber rate after the trade deadline the last two regular seasons. Recognize that success…as limited as it may have been in the post season…and build a team with a consistent identity instead of collecting players for a new path every season. It hasn’t worked and we continually see players we let go that would have helped us be a ship contender had we kept them whereas the players we switched to resulted in being a play in team, again.

The solution is to upgrade only one of Dlo/AR/Rui, at their position for a significantly better player that fixes backcourt defense or rebounding without sacrificing what was already there. Then build around the edges to fix the remaining holes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
^

What you’re saying sounds great…theoretically on paper…and could logically work on the court. Recognizing what works first however…before switching out the team…shows clearly that scoring hasn’t been the Lakers problem tho. The problem has been backcourt defense, rebounding, and turnovers, not the theoretical need for another closer. Chasing that prospective seemingly sure upgrade with Mitchell fails to recognize that scoring hasn’t been a problem and fails to fix what has been the problem.

I’m not saying Mitchell won’t work, he’s so dynamic he might, but the Lakers won an incredible amount of games at a championship caliber rate after the trade deadline the last two regular seasons. Recognize that success…as limited as it may have been in the post season…and build a team with a consistent identity instead of collecting players for a new path every season. It hasn’t worked and we continually see players we let go that would have helped us be a ship contender had we kept them whereas the players we switched to resulted in being a play in team, again.

The solution is to upgrade only one of Dlo/AR/Rui, at their position for a significantly better player that fixes backcourt defense or rebounding without sacrificing what was already there. Then build around the edges to fix the remaining holes.

Two comments. One, I would argue that we've struggled to score the ball during crunch time in the playoffs in the last 2 years against Denver. And two, Mitchell does help the team defense because he's a good defender. D'lo is a nothing defender and although I won't call Reaves a nothing defender, he's below-average on that end (as most are, to be fair).

OK, a third comment: Because Mitchell "only" makes $35.6MM next season, I think that we'd still have the ability to have the right role players around LeBron/AD/Mitchell to play winning, championship ball (some defense and two-way players, basically). Yeah, it might require Rob to cook on the margins, but the possibility is there.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Palin wrote:

I like Bridges. When Bridges is allowed to be a #3 or 4, he'll easily rise up in the DPOY, all-defensive charts. In that sense, he's a super important player on a contending team. His fit on the Suns was close to perfect, and he'd have a ring if CP3 wasn't a total loser. Just a shame they gave the farm up for KD.

He is a 3/4th guy on a team but at a price of 1st in trade.

Nets owner didn’t trade kyrie to lakers but will trade bridges to lakers? I don’t think so
Itsowheeze
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 10:35 pm    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Japago wrote:
I just see AR as the more natural trade bait in these scenarios. He has more trade value while basically being at the same level of a player as DLo. He's actually under contract.

People like pairing AR with any guard in these hypothetical scenarios, but is he really a good fit next to a ball-dominant guard?

He still does prefer to handle the ball. He and DLo have been sharing the secondary ball-handler role to LeBron.

More importantly, his shooting is a little questionable now, much moreso than DLo's. I remember him having a big shooting slump at some point during the season. And, he was awful in the series against DEN.

I think I'd still prefer to keep him over DLo just because of the salaries, but I have no qualms about going with DLo over AR if trading AR gets better value.

The comparison from the league and Laker fans between Dlo & AR is really strange:

18ppg/3pt%41.5/3.1rpg/6.3apg/2.1topg/.9spg/.5bpg
15.9ppg/3pt%36.7/4.3rpg/5.5apg/2.1topg.8spg/.3bpg

The players aren’t too far apart, and AR is certainly a good player, but unquestionably Dlo is the better player by more than the ~$5m difference in their salary. Dlo is a better scorer, a better 3pt shooter, a better playmaker, with better assist/turnover ratio along with more spg/bpg. Sure, some of that is close, maybe negligible by itself, but when you start to stack up all the factors it becomes clear, other than fan preferences with bias, the Lakers would be much better off trading AR and keeping Dlo because of the false perception that AR is better making AR return more in a trade.

Few know this, fewer admit it because they like AR more, even fewer occasionally just can’t completely fake it and say they that are about the same. They are not the same, Dlo is a better NBA player by a significant enough margin to keep him over AR to win more games. AR’s trade value is higher because he is more marketable since he appeals more to a fanbase thus perhaps bringing in more revenue. If you want a fanbase to like the team more go with AR, if you want to win more games go with Dlo.

I don’t know if the fanbase is familiar with the old fable of the Emperor’s New Clothes. Google it if you don’t know and are interested. As an analogy, I’m the kid pointing out the obvious which should be obvious to everyone based on what we see and that is that the Emperor is naked. Dlo is better for the Lakers than AR and the Lakers should sell high to capitalize.

Now also add that Austin had better playoff numbers both their years together and that’s Austin’s playoff numbers are better than Russell’s playoff numbers in Brooklyn and Minnesota too.

Austin’s playoffs have always seen him be consistent. Dlos numbers see him regress and it’s 4 different samples with 3 different teams in terms of regression happening consistently.

Dlo averaged 14 in the playoffs this year. He averaged 13 before that. And he averaged 12 in Minnesota. All massive drops. Dlo shot 50% from the free throw line in the first round this year in games that were based off 1 point deciding who wins . He’s a career 31% guy from three in the playoffs.

The trait that I appreciate most about AR is that he does not back down from the physicality of the game.

Talented players who embrace the physicality of the game will more often than not, do better than the players who shrink from it, especially in the playoffs.
I agree Ar finds different ways to get involved even when his shot isnt falling. He doesn't back down from the physicality of the game at all. Thats why he will always be able to play in any situation
jb2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2024 10:42 pm    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
jb2 wrote:
Japago wrote:

What's that even mean?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2648, 2649, 2650 ... 2687, 2688, 2689  Next
Page 2649 of 2689
Jump to: