OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2674, 2675, 2676 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:
If he plays well that likely increases the gate and merchandise sales.

I think you are vastly overrating Payton's effect on revenue.

No, the people in South Louisiana support their own doing well and don’t support when things aren’t going well. A lot of them live below the poverty line and are very discriminate with the money they do have. I am sure that a lot of Payton Pelican jerseys will he sold. Many more than Rondo jerseys, I never saw one of those there last winter. I did see Payton Magic jerseys.

so people below poverty line are going to spend more then 50dollars on a 1year backup guard?

got it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject:

"I only have one shot to buy a jersey. Let's spend it one the guy who may not be here after next year."

Sound logic.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
"I only have one shot to buy a jersey. Let's spend it one the guy who may not be here after next year."

Sound logic.

but he is from their place. local guy. instead of AD or Holiday jersey, they will just waste money on buying payton jersey
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sound logic.

but he is from their place. local guy. instead of AD or Holiday jersey, they will just waste money on buying payton jersey

Fair point.
Explains why I got a Matt Barnes jersey over the Kobe one. I kid
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject:

You guys are brutal on VLF 😂. My wife and I separately could live above the poverty line and but let me just say.... Lebron signing a 3+1 makes my Jersey buying decision a no-brainer. As much as I love Kuz & Ingram, the fact that they could gone tomorrow (as unlikely as that may be) pause me from buying their jersey right now.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
You guys are brutal on VLF 😂. My wife and I separately could live above the poverty line and but let me just say.... Lebron signing a 3+1 makes my Jersey buying decision a no-brainer. As much as I love Kuz & Ingram, the fact that they could gone tomorrow (as unlikely as that may be) pause me from buying their jersey right now.

kuzma and Ingram are not local guys, hence you are not inclined to buy their jerseys?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Or save up for the somewhat local guy, Kawhi.
Or get the local kid Lonzo jersey.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

No, the people in South Louisiana support their own doing well and don’t support when things aren’t going well. A lot of them live below the poverty line and are very discriminate with the money they do have. I am sure that a lot of Payton Pelican jerseys will he sold. Many more than Rondo jerseys, I never saw one of those there last winter. I did see Payton Magic jerseys.

So a 1 year deal player who was cast off by two teams will now boost the economy of N.O. b/c of a few jerseys? Ok.

If you say so. I didn’t. Deflect away.

I'm not deflecting. You're using anecdotal evidence that a few people wore Payton Magic jerseys and extrapolating that to mean it will majorly increase revenue for the Pels.

It's a poor market for an NBA team economically speaking. Having Payton there won't change that.

Again, “majorly” is your word, not mine. But I don’t see why it would be difficult to believe that fans would rather spend money on the jersey of a local product than Rondo.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sound logic.

A lot of them already have. But I am sure that in your extensive travels throughout South Louisiana you saw differently. Lots of Kamarra jerseys this year.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sound logic.

A lot of them already have. But I am sure that in your extensive travels throughout South Louisiana you saw differently. Lots of Kamarra jerseys this year.

1st NFL >>> NBA
2nd kamara was having best season for any rookie so off course u r going to see his jerseys

Lol at comparing kamara to Payton who is a backup 1 year pg
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Sound logic.

He was one of the best players in the NFL, a big reason they bought those, if he wasn't, there wouldn't be many bought. Payton is a backup guard who hasn't been that good, you won't see many of those, even if he is from the area. lol. The two don't compare as far as production in their sports.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Shabazz Napier was the back up PG for the 3rd best team in the West last year but all of a sudden he is inadequate as a back up despite being a better shooter and defender than Rondo. Despise him being productive as a starter in 9 games (16/4/4/1.8STL/43/38/86)

Rose colored glasses and all. The Pelicans don’t care that Rondo left, if Payton works out for them it will be a financial success.

Is that the same Payton, that two teams who needed point guards, decided to let go. And the Pelicans won't miss a guy that averaged 12/10 and 8 in last year's playoffs? OK.

yes....the Magic and Suns....we should all follow in their wise footsteps.

I know right. Phoenix traded a second round draft pick for Payton in February, and 5 months later decided he wasn't worth a new contact. They didn't actually upgrade the position either. Yet, our experts on this board expect him to have an impact with the Pelicans. Gotcha
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Shabazz Napier was the back up PG for the 3rd best team in the West last year but all of a sudden he is inadequate as a back up despite being a better shooter and defender than Rondo. Despise him being productive as a starter in 9 games (16/4/4/1.8STL/43/38/86)

Rose colored glasses and all. The Pelicans don’t care that Rondo left, if Payton works out for them it will be a financial success.

Is that the same Payton, that two teams who needed point guards, decided to let go. And the Pelicans won't miss a guy that averaged 12/10 and 8 in last year's playoffs? OK.

I know right. Phoenix traded a second round draft pick for Payton in February, and 5 months later decided he wasn't worth a new contact. They didn't actually upgrade the position either. Yet, our experts on this board expect him to have an impact with the Pelicans. Gotcha

Orlando traded him for nothing when their only other PG was freaking D.J Augustin.

Then Phoenix let's him go when he's seemingly a good fit with their SG/SF/C needing the ball a lot and don't really sign anyone else.

And yet people expect this guy will be better than Rondo, a proven playoff player, who JUST played one of the best series of his career busting the ass of All-NBA Lillard and his 3rd seed Blazers, when the previous year he was doing the same to the Boston Celtics and IT the MVP candidate before going down with an injury.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/250894/Bucks-Waive-Brandon-Jennings

Bucks Waive Jennings
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Orlando traded him for nothing when their only other PG was freaking D.J Augustin.

Then Phoenix let's him go when he's seemingly a good fit with their SG/SF/C needing the ball a lot and don't really sign anyone else.

And yet people expect this guy will be better than Rondo, a proven playoff player, who JUST played one of the best series of his career busting the ass of All-NBA Lillard and his 3rd seed Blazers, when the previous year he was doing the same to the Boston Celtics and IT the MVP candidate before going down with an injury.

Who expects him to be better than Rondo? I haven’t read that here.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

If we did the same exercise for Rondo, it wouldn't look that good either.

The Mavs kicked him off the team mid-playoffs. He wasn't even given any playoff money - which was decided by his teammates.

Sacramento bailed on him after one year. Chicago waived him after 1 year. New Orleans only signed him to a 1 year 3.3m contract.

He had issues at 3 of his last 4 stops and 3 of the 4 places decided they'd be better without him.
StillSWOL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

I have Idea what is happening here
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I've spent quite a bit of time in Orlando and I have never seen a Payton jersey. What a crazy convo by the way.
2017 Summer League Champs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
I am still amazed that they are able to convince adults to buy and wear basketball jersey's....

Yeah I don't get it. People look stupid in jerseys and I rarely see people wearing them. I have a ton of laker shirts but have never purchased a jersey. And most people don't have the body to pull them off. I work out a lot and would still look ridiculous in one.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

If we did the same exercise for Rondo, it wouldn't look that good either.

The Mavs kicked him off the team mid-playoffs. He wasn't even given any playoff money - which was decided by his teammates.

Sacramento bailed on him after one year. Chicago waived him after 1 year. New Orleans only signed him to a 1 year 3.3m contract.

He had issues at 3 of his last 4 stops and 3 of the 4 places decided they'd be better without him.

What gives me optimism about Rondo is he has played the majority of his career on winning/playoff teams while playing starter or near starter minutes.. Is that a reflection of Rondo, the teams or a combination of both? I am not sure.

If I am not mistaken he has stated a desire to transition into coaching after his playing days are over. Hopefully Magic is the one person who he respects enough to listen, learn and take advice from to realize his conduct with the Lakers maybe his last opportunity to leave a positive impression on NBA front offices.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject:

I'm late to the party. why are we discussing Payton jersey sales? Who cares?

And just off the little i saw on this page alone -- I'd bet my car Payton's jersey will not be a hot seller lmao but to each their own.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

https://www.hothothoops.com/2018/8/1/17638510/dwyane-wade-hints-at-return-nba-season-16-miami-heat-los-angeles-lakers-lebron-james
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

just would not use those teams as examples....especially the Magic of wise choices. For example....the Bucks waived Brandon Jennings today....the same Brandon Jennings that the Magic traded away Tobias Harris to acquire. A Tobias Harris that was 23 years old coming off a 17 Points and 5 Rebound season.....and put up 19 & 6 for the Clippers last season while shooting over 41% from 3 @ the ripe age of 25.

So yeah, i think the Magic made a bad decision since Payton was putting up 13/6/4 with 2 steals last season in 28 MPG @ the age of 23. That is a PER 36 of 16/8/5 which I would think most would consider acceptable from a 23 year old PG in their 4th season? Most of the Magic's bad decisions was during the Rob Hennigan era (and he made many bad decisions), but although I love Hammond as a draft GM....not crazy about his GM decisions during his career either.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Quote:

I've spent quite a bit of time in Orlando and I have never seen a Payton jersey. What a crazy convo by the way.

I saw them from time to time...guess I still do. Do not pay close attention.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:

I'm late to the party. why are we discussing Payton jersey sales? Who cares?

And just off the little i saw on this page alone -- I'd bet my car Payton's jersey will not be a hot seller lmao but to each their own.

I joined late too. I thought it was about Peyton Manning or Sean Payton.

Had to look up Pelicans/Payton to find out it's about Elfrid Payton.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2674, 2675, 2676 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2675 of 2680
Jump to: