Welcome Taurean Prince (1 yr $4.5M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:17 pm    Post subject:

Prince signing official. He will wear #12.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject:

The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
Prince is a great fit here. I think he slides in easily with the current guys and new guys. He won’t be nailed to the bench like Troy Brown or Beas. Also, people are severely underrating JHS defense and how he can guard wings.

Underrating JHS? At this point? There is no rating. He hasn’t played in the NBA, ever. You don’t count on Fino/MaxC/MaxL for anything this year. If they contribute at all it should be as a bonus but not part of a plan. If a team is trying to make the post season when they missed it, or trying to climb out of the play-in…with no realistic championship aspirations…then count on players like that, otherwise there has to be a better plan.

Those type of plans…counting on players that haven’t proven anything or would have to be a totally different player like Cam/Hayes…is what has kept the Hawks/Wizards/Kings out of championship participation for over 40 years. You just don’t do that. You just don’t do it, not if you are committed to winning a ship. We may not win another title until after the Jeanie/Rob era is over and a consistent GM with an owner that is willing to go all out financially into luxury tax replaces them.

The sad part is that LWIV/MoBA was available for the vet min, keeping the Lakers out of the tax with the only sacrifice being Cam and Rob still didn’t do it. The Lakers would look better on paper right now with that than they do now. Everyone could have done what they did in the last 50 games and we win a ship. Now, someone…Cam/MaxC/Hayes…has to morph into a totally different player for us to just be where we were last year. Oh, and tho I like the Prince signing, he looks just like TBjr and would have to change his game too…at 29yeard old after 6 years in the NBA looking just as he is…to be better than what TBjr was, a distant role player.

We can still be excited that we may compete similarly as last year if some new players improve from what they have been for several years, but the hope that we improve has gone down the drain.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Taurean Prince is already a Lakers fan favorite after shot at Dillon Brook

https://lakeshowlife.com/2023/07/03/taurean-prince-lakers-fan-favorite-dillon-brooks/

Grading every Lakers signing during NBA free agency
Quote:
Despite not being in LA last year, this also helps with the team’s continuity as he is reuniting with several of his former Minnesota teammates. It is almost impossible to get more value out of the Bi-Annual Exception than what the Lakers got in signing Prince.

https://lakeshowlife.com/2023/07/02/grading-lakers-signings-nba-free-agency-2023/
Lakeshow23_
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:
Prince is a great fit here. I think he slides in easily with the current guys and new guys. He won’t be nailed to the bench like Troy Brown or Beas. Also, people are severely underrating JHS defense and how he can guard wings.

Underrating JHS? At this point? There is no rating. He hasn’t played in the NBA, ever. You don’t count on Fino/MaxC/MaxL for anything this year. If they contribute at all it should be as a bonus but not part of a plan. If a team is trying to make the post season when they missed it, or trying to climb out of the play-in…with no realistic championship aspirations…then count on players like that, otherwise there has to be a better plan.

Those type of plans…counting on players that haven’t proven anything or would have to be a totally different player like Cam/Hayes…is what has kept the Hawks/Wizards/Kings out of championship participation for over 40 years. You just don’t do that. You just don’t do it, not if you are committed to winning a ship. We may not win another title until after the Jeanie/Rob era is over and a consistent GM with an owner that is willing to go all out financially into luxury tax replaces them.

The sad part is that LWIV/MoBA was available for the vet min, keeping the Lakers out of the tax with the only sacrifice being Cam and Rob still didn’t do it. The Lakers would look better on paper right now with that than they do now. Everyone could have done what they did in the last 50 games and we win a ship. Now, someone…Cam/MaxC/Hayes…has to morph into a totally different player for us to just be where we were last year. Oh, and tho I like the Prince signing, he looks just like TBjr and would have to change his game too…at 29yeard old after 6 years in the NBA looking just as he is…to be better than what TBjr was, a distant role player.

We can still be excited that we may compete similarly as last year if some new players improve from what they have been for several years, but the hope that we improve has gone down the drain.

Prince slots in the TBJ role just fine... That has been the role he's played his entire career-- 3 & D wing who guards 3s/4s and shoots open threes and attacks close outs.

Now, I don't think Prince is a world beater or anything but he's historically been more reliable than TBJ who was a fringe NBA player before he landed in LA TBJ had a good season but looked in over his head in the playoffs. Prince, if anything else, is a body you could throw out there to execute the scheme and shoot an acceptable percentage from beyond the arc. TBJ wasn't that in the playoffs.

Hayes for Bamba is a wash. Bamba wasn't any more useful last season than you or I. He disappointed in Orlando and squandered his chance here in LA. Hayes may do the same but hard to consider Bamba a loss because he hasn't proven to be anything worth losing.

LWIV was a loss but the coaching staff projects Christie to be capable of rotation minutes. Christie's skillset is more valuable to us than Lonnie's so it's a worthwhile gamble. Plus, Lonnie probably wanted a better opportunity where he was guaranteed more than just fourth guard minutes.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2023 9:55 am    Post subject:

Some Taurean Prince defensive highlights

Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 1:10 pm    Post subject:

Lakeshow23_ wrote:
The Gr8 Lakes wrote:

Prince slots in the TBJ role just fine... That has been the role he's played his entire career-- 3 & D wing who guards 3s/4s and shoots open threes and attacks close outs.

Now, I don't think Prince is a world beater or anything but he's historically been more reliable than TBJ who was a fringe NBA player before he landed in LA TBJ had a good season but looked in over his head in the playoffs. Prince, if anything else, is a body you could throw out there to execute the scheme and shoot an acceptable percentage from beyond the arc. TBJ wasn't that in the playoffs.

Hayes for Bamba is a wash. Bamba wasn't any more useful last season than you or I. He disappointed in Orlando and squandered his chance here in LA. Hayes may do the same but hard to consider Bamba a loss because he hasn't proven to be anything worth losing.

LWIV was a loss but the coaching staff projects Christie to be capable of rotation minutes. Christie's skillset is more valuable to us than Lonnie's so it's a worthwhile gamble. Plus, Lonnie probably wanted a better opportunity where he was guaranteed more than just fourth guard minutes.

Mostly true (MoBa did have a 10pt/13reb game for the Lakers last year, pretty sure that was more useful than you or I). Thing is about MoBa however is that he did show usefulness for an extended period last year (72 games the year before technically) in Orlando so the skill has been displayed, unlike Hayes who hasn’t shown he can be productive in the NBA over a consistent period of time. Maybe the Lakers could have gotten MoBa back on track, maybe not, who knows, but unlike Hayes, MoBa has shown more than just potential. MoBa actually would not have needed to improve, he could have played just like he did for the 42 games in Orlando last year and it would have worked for the Lakers for 10-15 non AD minutes whereas Hayes not only has to improve, he will need to become almost a totally different player. At vet min there appears to be no good reason why Rob didn’t roll with both MoBa and Hayes.

I actually prefer the risk of Cam over Prince so I would have preferred the BAE go to LWIV. My expectations for Prince is similar to what JTA gave last year to the Lakers. Hope I’m wrong. LWIV at least showed he could be useful if needed for a couple of months, could stay ready if out of the rotation, and elevate his play to win a playoff game. You don’t just pass on that at vet min for Prince, a 29 yr old poor rebounder with declining defense, averaging less than double digits points, as a poor facilitator.

I seem to be the only one anywhere that isn’t excited about Prince, I hope it doesn’t end up like Beasley when it seemed like I was the only one that showed concern right after the trade for Beasley. I wish I had been wrong about Beasley and hope I’m wrong about Prince but I just don’t see it, just don’t see what others see in him.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject:

I was excited when we picked TP up, now I'm even more pumped after listening to Coach Ham's presser and TP's Media Day interview.

I expect him to be a leader on the second unit and a veteran that can be plugged in at multiple positions (2,3,4) at any given time.

Don't sleep on this guy because he will be a contributor and an asset.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/videos/taurean-prince-media-day-2023-24

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-taurean-prince-shares-a-touching-moment-between-lebron-james-his-son/

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/new-laker-taurean-prince-reflects-on-reunion-with-former-minnesota-teammates-ns2002
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
I was excited when we picked TP up, now I'm even more pumped after listening to Coach Ham's presser and TP's Media Day interview.

I expect him to be a leader on the second unit and a veteran that can be plugged in at multiple positions (2,3,4) at any given time.

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-taurean-prince-shares-a-touching-moment-between-lebron-james-his-son/

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/new-laker-taurean-prince-reflects-on-reunion-with-former-minnesota-teammates-ns2002

Let’s go Prince! Prove me wrong! It would be great this year if he plays great defense and shoots 40% from 3!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

Let’s go Prince! Prove me wrong! It would be great this year if he plays great defense and shoots 40% from 3!

He said he's confident he can achieve those goals. He also said he was like a Swiss Army Knife, in that he can play multiple positions.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject:

TP for the Corner 3...I can't wait to watch this guy play for the PnG!!
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:33 pm    Post subject:

TP is also good taking it to the hole with a soft touch.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:46 pm    Post subject:

lakeshowtacular wrote:
TP for the Corner 3...I can't wait to watch this guy play for the PnG!!

Hopefully he does better than today with those bricks. A theme with shooters who forget to shoot once they wear the P'n'G.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Really nice game from TP. His experience, hustle and BBall IQ make him a nice fit for this laker team.

Quote:
DANCING BARRY wrote:
Prince -- -- He got the start at the SF and avoided the foul-prone pace of the previous game (he is a bit foul prone in general, but not like the last one which was about triple time on the whistles).
We got to see how easily he slots around our four best players. Just a smooth fit, which is why I think he’ll be a major part of the rotation. Great job mixing in the three ball with attacking off the three line.
He’d score a couple around the rim off the dribble. The D has to respect him and if they try to help, he can make them pay. Note the lack of rebounding. That’s a weakness of his game.
This seemed like a pretty prototypical outing, including the fouls.

The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-7 shooting (3-5 from three) to go with 1 board, 1 assist and 5 fouls in 20 minutes. He was a +4.
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject:

That was quite to upgrade from game 1. Nice to see the 3-ball falling and those crafty drives were also a thing of beauty.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject:

Having Prince, Vando, Rui covering the opponent scoring wings allowing Bron to hide a bit is nice, we can have the twin tower line up with AD-Wood
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject:

Brilliant pick up by Pelinka
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Do we...do we actually have a legit 3-D guy?
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Danny Green vibes. Perfect starter to put next to the four scorers we have in our starting lineup, just needs to defend and hit threes (and occasionally find his way to an open shot through traffic, if he wants)
#18 next...
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

He's actually a better offensive player than I thought. He can put the ball down and drive. Does not force the issue. Sticks to his role.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Danny Green vibes. Perfect starter to put next to the four scorers we have in our starting lineup, just needs to defend and hit threes (and occasionally find his way to an open shot through traffic, if he wants)

Seeing all that length as he went vertical on a stop reminded me of how effective Green was at that for the team on help D.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 3:27 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:

Green was effective, but in large part also because we played bigger. KCP/Green, Lebron/AD and usually a big in the middle. Then when we needed some more speed we would sub in Carushow and Kuz.

Going back to the Raps title season, again, Danny started at 2, with Kawhi at 3. Think it was Lowry at the 1.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:28 am    Post subject:

All around team player. Straight up Baller!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:27 am    Post subject:

Once again Dancing Barry says it best!:
Quote:
Prince -- -- Just fits so well with this team. Offensively, he can score from all areas of the floor. He hit a midrange. He got in the middle of the paint and hit a jumphook. He hit an And-1 midrange on a pumpfake. And sank a couple of threes. The points just add up. Last year, we struggled to get production from this spot by ou role players. Defensively, he had a nice rotation going vertical and getting a stop. Last year, that was likely a smaller man getting scored on. He had two plays where fouls went against him as both coaches used their challenges at the end of the first half. This is also the kind of rebounding game we need. I don’t know if he was thinking he needed to put in more effort there with AD out, but if he can pull these numbers that would be a nice surprise. The Stats: He scored 13 points on 5-9 shooting (2-5 from three, 1-1 from the line) to go with 7 boards, 1 assist, 2 steals and 2 fouls in 21 minutes. He was a +12.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 6:50 am    Post subject:

Upgrade over Troy Brown.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 4 of 20
Jump to: