View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
wow...sux for people with pre-orders. Im waiting till it gets down to about 250-300 bucks, which is in about 10 years.

I know seriously..me too..and I thought the economy was bad..I guess not, I mean if people can sit outside for days waiting to purchase a system that is gonna cost them 600 bucks+tax(without a game) then have to spend 60 bucks a piece on a game..I guess people really DO have money..I am gonna wait until it gets cheaper, no video game system is worth 600 bucks, I don't care how great the graphics are.

A large number of the people camping outside the stores are not doing so in order to actually play the system. Some people are trying to get one to sell on eBay for twice what they paid. If you think that you can earn a 100% profit, then the $600 investment doesn't sound so bad. Whether or not people are actually able to sell them remains to be seen. In Japan, when PS3s went on sale last week, for every 100 systems that were bought, there were only about 80-something games bought. We'll see what those numbers look like in the states.

And it begins.

Your right..yeah I heard about how people are gonna sell the system on Ebay for 2700..if people are THAT stupid to spend 2700 bucks for a video game system I'd want to go out and buy one too so that I can sell it..a 100 percent profit is always good What I don't get is why in the world someone would spend triple the amount of money for something if they want a few weeks can get it for 600 dollars..are people that desperate to get the next best thing the second it comes out on the market?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Ps3s selling on Ebay for an average price of about USD1800. I've seen some sold as high as USD5000. Its an absolute JOKE! Maybe Shaq bough one of them for that much... He's not playing now right? He has free time on his hands!
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:

This sucker just bought one for $10k. And the cheapskates couldn't even bother to throw in free shipping.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
This sucker just bought one for $10k. And the cheapskates couldn't even bother to throw in free shipping.

OMG!!! they charged him the shipping... thats classic!
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
Exick wrote:

OMG that auction just proved that there are indeed stunted people in this world
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
Supa
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

How did THAT one go for 10k???? There's better offers free overnight shipping. That's weird.
bynumisking
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject:

a lot of scams pulled right now i guarantee you that. and not to mention the vandals also known as happy bidders who just wanna ruin an auction (that's why i hate ebay's non-refundable listing fees.) sellers so greedy that they won't check if the address is confirmed/uncomfirmed would be in really deep s***. experienced sellers won't fall for the scams. but the ecstatic dude who wants to make a profit quick with his brand new ps3 has a huge chance that he'll fall for it. scammers scam those inexperienced ebayers. they scan the "selling" feedback. they won't touch those powersellers for sure though.

pity the person who camped at walmart for 24 hours just to lose his money to some scammer out there. that'd be a very depressing experience for anyone.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Anyone see the stories about a PS3 line (the entire line) getting robbed at gunpoint? Or the idiots who pulled a b.b. gun drive-by on a PS3 line while a news crew was there? The crazies are certainly coming out.
msb212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject:

gotta love kobe giving ps3's to the whole tnt crew
Kobe>Lebron
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:
wow...sux for people with pre-orders. Im waiting till it gets down to about 250-300 bucks, which is in about 10 years.

I know seriously..me too..and I thought the economy was bad..I guess not, I mean if people can sit outside for days waiting to purchase a system that is gonna cost them 600 bucks+tax(without a game) then have to spend 60 bucks a piece on a game..I guess people really DO have money..I am gonna wait until it gets cheaper, no video game system is worth 600 bucks, I don't care how great the graphics are.

I hear PS3 games are going to be 80.00 seriously
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject:

Just looking at my mail and GAMESTOP will have the 360 pro system for 399. It includes Call of Duty 2..

The catch: sale is on 11/24. doors open at 7 am.

Pretty good deal. Dont have to wait for a rebate+ a game.
LakerFanAlways
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject:

Kobe>T-mac wrote:
LakerFanAlways wrote:
frijolero01 wrote:

I hear PS3 games are going to be 80.00 seriously

I've checked bestbuy.com and circuitcity.com..I haven't seen any of the games go for 80 bucks(maybe ebay) Ive seen them for 60 which is insanely overpriced..I'll wait til they are 30 bucks a piece or lower..I'm patient
prisma8slg
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerFanAlways wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
Exick wrote:

OMG that auction just proved that there are indeed stunted people in this world

"I've seen it all. Sasha dunked on somebody," Kobe Bryant said. "I'm ready to retire now."
magic_bryant
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject:

There were rumors that the games would be $80 due to the Blu-Ray player. But apparently it was just that. A rumor.
Stephon Marbury on Kobe: "He's the only person on 'dis earth that can do 'dat. He guards people, like shuts 'em down. Then, to do 'dat on 'da offensive end. It's like 'Damn, I can't score on him AND he about to bust my ass."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number Reply with quote
Bergamotichek
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:

Quote:
PUTNAM, Conn. - Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

The two confronted 15 to 20 people who were in line outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patrons resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects, both believed to be in their teens. He said one was wearing a ski mask and brandishing a handgun, and the other had what appeared to be a shotgun.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart — its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.
XTN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Quote:

In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

They forgot to put a "stupid" 19-year-old man ....
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:

But seriously, I really don't get why people are willing to pay an exorbitant sum for such a useless toy.

Why not a lens/camera or a laptop or something like that?
Why go through the agony of waiting in line or paying 1000 dollars over the retail to get this?

Also we're talking about Sony here- the maker of 94.3% of proprietary formats ever created, and the infamous rootkit that supposedly installed spyware whenever you popped their audio CDs into your computer... not to mention the whole exploding battery fiasco.
Do you guys have any reason to believe that this company's good will not fail within the next 2 years?
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
But seriously, I really don't get why people are willing to pay an exorbitant sum for such a useless toy.

Why go through the agony of waiting in line or paying 1000 dollars over the retail to get this?

I fail to see how a laptop or a camera is more useful than a PlayStation.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Well camera, you may have a point, since it too would only be a hobby but laptop would definitely be more productive if not more useful than a playstation.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Well camera, you may have a point, since it too would only be a hobby but laptop would definitely be more productive if not more useful than a playstation.

I don't think its right to say that something is useless. Maybe its useless to some but not to others. Maybe a camera is useless to me or a laptop to someone else. Its all relative I guesss... As far as the product failing, it won't I'm sure.... Sony is a reputable company. I have a PS, PS2, Sony Wega TV, CPU and digital camera. They are all great products, I never had any problems with their quality.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Well, the nice thing about the PlayStation is that you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to it, and you have yourself a PC. But if you want a real reason why people are spending so much money on it, then just look at sports. Why would someone spend several hundred or thousand dollars on tickets to a game? Same reason. Personally, I have no interest in getting anywhere near a PS3 for $600, let alone $1200 or $10k or $30k like another auction I saw, but if you have that kind of disposable income and you really feel like the PS3 or Laker tickets or whatever else is worth it, then you will spend money on it. With PlayStations, it's a little strange because eventually there won't be a shortage, so some people are just paying a premium to be first.

Last edited by Exick on Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:09 am    Post subject:

KobeDunk wrote:
shnjb wrote:
Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:

I don't think its right to say that something is useless. Maybe its useless to some but not to others. Maybe a camera is useless to me or a laptop to someone else. Its all relative I guesss... As far as the product failing, it won't I'm sure.... Sony is a reputable company. I have a PS, PS2, Sony Wega TV, CPU and digital camera. They are all great products, I never had any problems with their quality.

Well useless wasn't the best word I guess.
Perhaps overpriced or overhyped?
I just don't get how people camp for days to get these things at every game console's launch.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:
Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Well, the nice thing about the PlayStation is that you can hook up a keyboard and mouse to it, and you have yourseld a PC. But if you want a real reason why people are spending so much money on it, then just look at sports. Why would someone spend several hundred or thousand dollars on tickets to a game? Same reason. Personally, I have no interest in getting anywhere near a PS3 for $600, let alone $1200 or $10k or $30k like another auction I saw, but if you have that kind of disposable income and you really feel like the PS3 or Laker tickets or whatever else is worth it, then you will spend money on it. With PlayStations, it's a little strange because eventually there won't be a shortage, so some people are just paying a premium to be first.

I've bought PS2 as well so I know why people want it obviously but like you said, 1000 or more for a game console is ridiculous.
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject:

JD wrote:
Quote:
PUTNAM, Conn. - Two armed thugs tried to rob a line of people waiting to buy the new Playstation 3 gaming console early Friday and shot one who refused to give up the money, authorities said.

The two confronted 15 to 20 people who were in line outside a Wal-Mart store shortly after 3 a.m. and demanded money, said Lt. J. Paul Vance, a spokesman for the state police. The new Sony consoles are selling for around $500 to $600.

"One of the patrons resisted. That patron was shot," Vance said.

He said the two gunmen fled and the victim was taken to University of Massachusetts Medical Center in Worcester. There was no immediate word on the victim's condition.

Vance said police were searching for the suspects, both believed to be in their teens. He said one was wearing a ski mask and brandishing a handgun, and the other had what appeared to be a shotgun.

Short supplies of the PS3 and strong demand led to lines of buyers, some waiting for days, outside stores across the country.

In Palmdale, Calif., authorities shut down a Super Wal-Mart after some shoppers got rowdy late Wednesday. In West Bend, Wis., a 19-year-old man was injured when he ran into a pole racing with 50 others for one of 10 spots outside a Wal-Mart.

In Lexington, Ky., police were investigating a drive-by shooting that hit four people with BB pellets outside a Best Buy store, causing minor injuries, according to WKYT, whose own reporter was hit as she interviewed buyers in line.

A Best Buy in Boston, aware it had only 140 of the consoles, got smart — its employees gave out tickets to the first 140 people in line so everyone could go home.

man... that's just terrible. luckily, there's still a silver lining to be found with all the PS3 fervor, from some retail chain called Nebraska Furniture Mart:

LINK

Quote:
The manufacturer of PlayStation 3 is unable to supply adequate quantities to the market. In the best interest of our customers, we are NOT offering PS3 for sale until the manufacturer can guarantee us an adequate supply.

We have donated a handful of units that we received to local charities to help them with their Christmas fundraising.

Thank you for your understanding. When we have adequate numbers of PS3, we will advertise it to the public.

Great idea - if people are going to pay $10,000 for the PS3, might as well have the proceeds go to charity

and to respond to the original topic; neither - I'm getting a Wii.
KobeDunk
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject:

shnjb wrote:
KobeDunk wrote:
shnjb wrote:
Exick wrote:
shnjb wrote:

Well useless wasn't the best word I guess.
Perhaps overpriced or overhyped?
I just don't get how people camp for days to get these things at every game console's launch.

I agree with you there.... Xbox360 is half the price for basically the same product with better games ... PS3 will be worth it in maybe 1 year. Not now!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: