OFFICIAL JEREMY LIN THREAD (***Remember to talk about BASKETBALL and NOT other fans/posters*** See pg.1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 331, 332, 333 ... 501, 502, 503  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject:

trunkz08 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
trunkz08 wrote:
Gosh, I hope they trade Lin soon. I can't bear to watch him on this team. Bad system, and bad coach. Just like last year when Pau had to play in D'Antoni's system. I hope they trade him to a contender so I can cheer for him in the play offs.

The positive part is that if Lin is willing, he can grow into a more complete player here.

It's obvious this offense doesn't focus on his strengths. So this should be taken as an opportunity to work on his weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

It doesn't help that the teams tanking and Byron's substitution patterns are a little lacking. He can't even get 30 minutes on this team, which is saying a lot about Byron's ability to coach.

Byron obviously doesn't know how to coach the squad we currently have.

He had a vision, and we're not fitting into it. He probably doesn't want to change his vision because he knows most of the players are on one year deals anyway. He expects the front office to bring in players that fit what he wants to do.

I don't think Scott is really anti-PG... but think about what he's used to. He's use to FRANCHISE PLAYER level PGs. CP3, Kidd, Irving. Played with Magic Johnson.

While I bag on Scott a lot, I think he may just be trying to turn Lin into one of those kind of guys.

Can it happen? It would be tough.

Lin would have to completely buy in and believe that the "tough love" is for his betterment. That the reason Scott doesn't let him do what he's good at is for the sole purpose of making him uncomfortable and grow.

It would be frustrating and difficult for a guy like Lin. But if he believes that he is capable of growing, he just might decide to stay and challenge himself instead of taking an easier path.

I think that's a load of baloney. My opinion is...Byron's a (bleep)
He has no idea how to run a team, and he let's his ego get in the way. He's like one of those old guys who thinks stuff that worked in the past is going to work now. He can't let go of the past when guys clothes lined each other. Same with McHale, he played in the 80's era. Guys like Scott and McHale don't make good coaches cause they were stars on their team. The best coaches are normally guys who were role players who preach team play.

Actually, it makes good sense. Great player never be a great cocah except soccer like Beckenbauer.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject:

angrypuppy wrote:
Reflexx wrote:
angrypuppy wrote:
Travers wrote:
maomao wrote:
MorlockO wrote:
meows a lot wrote:
maomao wrote:
philnyc wrote:
maomao wrote:
so what are your expectations for lin's stat for 25 minutes to be considered good?

Dunno, but Lin got a triple-double in 29 minutes last season...

uh..so how are we even evaluating lin? give me a good enough stat for 25 minutes that worth $8 mil a year.

lol i know eh. hes maybe worth 2mil a year right now...at least hes making money.

2mil is an exaggeration. he is worth 5-7 mil depends on what team he will go to.

Every team GM now knows that Lin is a good 6th man on a contending team... he is also a good starting pg on a bottom tier team... and he is still only 26 years old...

this free agency will now be a turning point in Lin's career, he now has the experience of being in different situations in the NBA, he can now choose a path that will define the rest of his career...

still no one answered my question, what is lin supposed to do in 25 minutes to reflect his contract of 8 mil a year?

Lin's business value alone worth 20m a year at least.

Really? What is Lin's endorsement income?
He's been very picky about endorsements. He started before that he had the opportunity for over $100 mil in endorsements, but chose not to.

Really, his business value to a team only needs to be a few million more than digestive else to make an investment with it.

He might have had some potential endorsement deals a couple of years ago, but now? He's a backup point guard on a very bad team, and that will be reflected in both his current endorsement deal flow (or lack thereof) and in his next signing as a free agent. He'll get paid like a decent backup and spot starter, but some of the numbers being thrown around in this thread are crazy.

And you're telling me he has the potential for $100 million in endorsement deal income? FYI Lebron James generates $42 million per year. I'd like to see a link to that.

He is Asian. How many Asian players are there for Asians to follow? Doesn't matter if he's starting or not and the reason.he isn't isn't based on skill.or talent or performance. You keep thinking that only the best should be admired and screw the rest. People.have no clue how.difficult it is to make it in professional.sports. most of us wouldn't even make.the starting lineup at our neighborhood YMCA but we sure know who is good Nd who is bad.

It's not that he's a superstar. It's that he actually is an nba player. Now you have more and more Asian Americans thinking basketball as a future sport rather than another or.none at all. You have no idea how important Lin is to the Asian American community. We can all hope that race was never an.issue but we know that it's not true.
Cool426
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:55 pm    Post subject:

Reflexx wrote:

The positive part is that if Lin is willing, he can grow into a more complete player here.

It's obvious this offense doesn't focus on his strengths. So this should be taken as an opportunity to work on his weaknesses and turn them into strengths.

In the case of Lin, willingness has little to do with his improvements as an NBA player.

Lin had regressed from his Linsanity days. Any improvements are marginal at best. Most of his fans had high expectation of him when he joined the Lakers but it looks like a disappointed season.

Here's my take: He has no one to blame but himself!

Most young players make steady progress within his first four years in the league by working on their weaknesses during offseason. Rarely do players make huge leap after that. Instead of working on his weakness and compete against the league, Lin worked on competing against teammate's job.

I kept thinking why would Lin work on his defense and floaters? FLOATERS!? What skills did Patrick Beverly have that were better than Lin? Defense and floaters! That was exactly what Lin worked on previous offseason. He worked to get his starting job back and it really backfired on him. For whatever the reason, losing face or feeling shamed, it really clouded his judgment on his own weaknesses.

Last offseason was absolutely critical for Lin's career. He HAD to come in the season with noticeable improvement for teams/GM's to at least PROJECT his path of improvement. Some of his weakness can never be improved; they are instinctive, such as jump in the air, picking up his dribble when panicking or other boneheaded mistakes. Some are bounded by physical limitation, such as lateral quickness on defense. But his dribbling skills (in dire need of improvement) can be improved. After all he just can't rely on his one and only elite skill to survive in this league. Most of those who rely their athleticism do not end well in the league. That's what the first 4-5 years are for--to become a skillful player, and after 4 years, Lin doesn't fit the description as a 'skillful' player.
summerly
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:

In the case of Lin, willingness has little to do with his improvements as an NBA player.

Lin had regressed from his Linsanity days. Any improvements are marginal at best. Most of his fans had high expectation of him when he joined the Lakers but it looks like a disappointed season.

Most young players make steady progress within his first four years in the league by working on their weaknesses during offseason. Rarely do players make huge leap after that. Instead of working on his weakness and compete against the league, Lin worked on competing against teammate's job.

I kept thinking why would Lin work on his defense and floaters? FLOATERS!? What skills did Patrick Beverly have that were better than Lin? Defense and floaters! That was exactly what Lin worked on previous offseason. He worked to get his starting job back and it really backfired on him. For whatever the reason, losing face or feeling shamed, it really clouded his judgment on his own weaknesses.

Last offseason was absolutely critical for Lin's career. He HAD to come in the season with noticeable improvement for teams/GM's to at least PROJECT his path of improvement. Some of his weakness can never be improved; they are instinctive, such as jump in the air, picking up his dribble when panicking or other boneheaded mistakes. Some are bounded by physical limitation, such as lateral quickness on defense. But his dribbling skills (in dire need of improvement) can be improved. After all he just can't rely on his one and only elite skill to survive in this league. Most of those who rely their athleticism do not end well in the league. That's what the first 4-5 years are for--to become a skillful player, and after 4 years, Lin doesn't fit the description as a 'skillful' player.

Sad but true. His floater (I have never seen that in game tbh), his 3pts shooting, his dribbling skills, his vision on court (avoid turnover) have yet to be improved. But sorry Lin you only got half season left to prove yourself....
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:43 pm    Post subject:

summerly wrote:
Cool426 wrote:

Sad but true. His floater (I have never seen that in game tbh), his 3pts shooting, his dribbling skills, his vision on court (avoid turnover) have yet to be improved. But sorry Lin you only got half season left to prove yourself....

Having a floater helps.but it isn't the end all. He is shooting .365 from three. That's not bad. He is not the greatest dribbler but not many can get from baseline to baseline dribbling the ball as fast as he can. He has good court vision just bad decision making.

You point out weaknesses but forget his strengths. You want him to avoid turnovers but others get a pass. He doesn't need to prove himself to you or anyone else. He just has to play his brand of basketball. Problem.is in this offense he apparently feels.He has to get everyone else involved.
MorlockO
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Then again, who in this lakers squad is consistent?

Lin was pretty consistent last 2 years, but this year he dropped quite badly.

Nick young was pretty good last year, this year he dropped as well.

Ed Davis was pretty good during pre season and at the start of the season but now he will look good one game and disappear another game.

I think the only guy that is quite consistent on this squad is Jordan hill. and if you notice, Jordan hill is the only player who has consistent role and playing in this team.

NBA players are a creature of habit and rhythm... they need constant role and playing style to figure out how they should play. take away that and you take away consistency of the player.
tonman
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:51 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

He can shoot the three. He can take the ball to the basket. He gets to the foul line so he isvery efficient even when he shoots 2-9 he still averages over 1.2 Pps. He has played the point as well as the off guard spots. His lateral quickness isn't elite but his speed is elite.

All players make mistakes. Those who handle the ball a lot will make more mistakes. Kobe leads the team in turnovers. I guess those weren't his fault. Lin has skills you just fail to recognize them. He doesn't fit the mold of a point guard so people pick at all his weaknesses.
fafan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject:

MorlockO wrote:
Then again, who in this lakers squad is consistent?

Lin was pretty consistent last 2 years, but this year he dropped quite badly.

Nick young was pretty good last year, this year he dropped as well.

Ed Davis was pretty good during pre season and at the start of the season but now he will look good one game and disappear another game.

I think the only guy that is quite consistent on this squad is Jordan hill. and if you notice, Jordan hill is the only player who has consistent role and playing in this team.

NBA players are a creature of habit and rhythm... they need constant role and playing style to figure out how they should play. take away that and you take away consistency of the player.

To answer your question: The Head of Snake!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:
Now you have more and more Asian Americans thinking basketball as a future sport rather than another or.none at all.

Source? And what does this have to do with Lin?

Quote:
You have no idea how important Lin is to the Asian American community.

As both a Lin fan and a member of the Asian-American community I can tell you that Jeremy Lin's NBA career means exactly jack diddly sh(bleep).

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM

Last edited by C M B on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

tonman wrote:

Only if you think all Asian Americans subscribe to the hive mind of thinking...I can tell you there are lots of Asian Americans who post here who could care less if Lin succeeds in the NBA or not. Lin isn't the first Asian American in the NBA nor will he be the last.

Last edited by lakersken80 on Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:37 pm; edited 3 times in total
SIT_GOODWIN_SIT!
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Cool426 wrote:
Reflexx wrote:

Hmmm...I think he worked on floaters and defense because well... he could always use more scoring options. As for defense, since the consensus referendum regarding one of Lin's perceived weaknesses has been crappy defense, it would stand to reason that he would work on eliminating a weakness, no?

As for working on skills in order to take back his starting job from Beverly..... well, let me stop here because in all seriousness, I'm trying to determine if you are being serious with your post.

Last edited by SIT_GOODWIN_SIT! on Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:17 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mentlegen
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:42 pm    Post subject: Lin aint the only asian NBA player anymore

Technically, since Clarkson is half filipino, Jeremy Lin is no longer the only asian american NBA player.
nikeykid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:35 pm    Post subject:

clarkson played well other than the last minute of regulation. pretty sure this means jlin will not be starting again for the lakers. but BS should've put both of them in at the last minute to handle the press, that was pretty stupid.
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
tonman wrote:

Only if you think all Asian Americans subscribe to the hive mind of thinking...I can tell you there are lots of Asian Americans who post here who could care less if Lin succeeds in the NBA or not. Lin isn't the first Asian American in the NBA nor will he be the last.

Who was the first asian american in the NBA if its not jeremy?
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin aint the only asian NBA player anymore

Mentlegen wrote:
Technically, since Clarkson is half filipino, Jeremy Lin is no longer the only asian american NBA player.

So that's why I like Clarkson. Half Filipino makes you a beast athletically...trust me.
Hurrican
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject:

madddogg wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
tonman wrote:

Wataru Misaka played 3 games in the NBA back in 47.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wataru_Misaka
Honeybadger81
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin aint the only asian NBA player anymore

Don Draper wrote:
Mentlegen wrote:

So that's why I like Clarkson. Half Filipino makes you a beast athletically...trust me.

Hybrid dominance? Like Blake Griffin?
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 pm    Post subject:

For all of those people who down play jeremy lins importance to the asian american community must not really be part of the asian community. I already know that jeremy lin was at the TAP (taiwanese asian professionals) award ceremony and the linsanity movie team was honored at the NAAAP (national associations of asian american professionals) award ceremony and both were for this year.

Although jeremy may not be the last asian american, we have clarkson already, he is one of the few asian americans in the NBA. There were a few from china, the asian magic johnson, yao ming, and two other dudes. And there was the japanese guy who was in training camp for the suns, but jeremy is the only asian american, other than clarkson.

Remember the dodgers and chan ho park, its pretty much the same as with jeremy and the lakers.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin aint the only asian NBA player anymore

Don Draper wrote:
Mentlegen wrote:

This is true. Pinoys got mad hops.

Kiss my Converse.
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Hurrican wrote:
madddogg wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
tonman wrote:

Wataru Misaka played 3 games in the NBA back in 47.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wataru_Misaka

Thanks. A little before my time and only played in 3 games.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:53 pm    Post subject:

madddogg wrote:
For all of those people who down play jeremy lins importance to the asian american community must not really be part of the asian community. I already know that jeremy lin was at the TAP (taiwanese asian professionals) award ceremony and the linsanity movie team was honored at the NAAAP (national associations of asian american professionals) award ceremony and both were for this year.

Although jeremy may not be the last asian american, we have clarkson already, he is one of the few asian americans in the NBA. There were a few from china, the asian magic johnson, yao ming, and two other dudes. And there was the japanese guy who was in training camp for the suns, but jeremy is the only asian american, other than clarkson.

Remember the dodgers and chan ho park, its pretty much the same as with jeremy and the lakers.

So I guess people would have to be part of those organizations to be officially an Asian American....smh....
nikeykid
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:57 pm    Post subject:

i'm just happy that lin is getting his regular rotation minutes and that ronnie price is not ahead of him on the depth chart. that was a great injustice. i feel way better about clarkson starting and lin subbing.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lin aint the only asian NBA player anymore

Honeybadger81 wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
Mentlegen wrote:

Hybrid dominance? Like Blake Griffin?

Yeah man, it's like we have another gear that we activate in certain situations. Now it makes sense when Byron says Clark has 7 gears
madddogg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:58 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
madddogg wrote:

So I guess people would have to be part of those organizations to be an Asian American....smh....

first reading is greater than you. I said he is important to the asian american community not that you need to be in those organizations to be an asian american. Second, I post examples where you just post your opinion. ....smh...
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:01 pm    Post subject:

madddogg wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
madddogg wrote:

So I guess people would have to be part of those organizations to be an Asian American....smh....

first reading is greater than you. I said he is important to the asian american community not that you need to be in those organizations to be an asian american. Second, I post examples where you just post your opinion. ....smh...

Sorry, but what is the community?
Does it only represent a few special interest groups?
This is like saying that Asian Americans should root for Jeremy Lin or else they aren't part of the special community...Some ridiculous assertions you are making there.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 331, 332, 333 ... 501, 502, 503  Next
Page 332 of 503
Jump to: