***LAKERS -vs- Jazz 10/16/12 Pre-Season Game Thread***
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:12 am    Post subject: ***LAKERS -vs- Jazz 10/16/12 Pre-Season Game Thread***

Time: 7:00PM PT

Local TV: TWC SN / TWC D

Radio: 710 ESPN/1330 KWKW

Lakers Injury Report: Jordan Hill (Back), Dwight Howard (Back) and Earl Clark (Groin) are out.

Quote:
Lakers-Jazz preseason game: 5 things to watch

1. Can Robert Sacre build off his success? The Lakers' 60th overall draft pick has already earned plenty of backers. Kobe Bryant has argued that the Gonzaga rookie should crack the roster, and Coach Mike Brown said he believes that Sacre has a future in the NBA. Lakers General Manager Mitch Kupchak told The Times' Ben Bolch that the 7-footer has a "chance to make our team."

Sacre has averaged 7.7 points and five rebounds in 22 minutes as the starting center while Dwight Howard rehabs from back surgery. He's progressed enough in the past week to prove he's not solely the beneficiary of playing on an All-Star-caliber lineup. Sacre also provides plenty of hustle and focus on both offense and defense. Yet it's critical that he keeps his pledge on not getting caught up in the initial hype. So far, it hasn't.

2. Will the Lakers improve on transition defense? No one should be overly concerned about the Lakers' 0-3 preseason record. But the games wouldn't look as disastrous when the starters leave the floor if the team simply improved in this area. But that hasn't happened. Through three games, opponents have outscored the Lakers in the third quarter by an average of 16.3 points per game namely because of the team's poor transition defense.

Of course, Howard's continued absence as he rehabs his back partly reflects his weakness. Once he returns, the Lakers won't be as vulnerable in the open floor. But Coach Brown also blames the issue on poor floor balance and turnovers (15.33 per game).

"We don't get back in transition because we're ball-watching a little too much when somebody penetrates," Brown said. "When one of our perimeter guys penetrates, our other two guys don't necessarily do a great job getting back."

3. Chris Duhon will likely play most of the backup point-guard minutes. For the second consecutive game, Brown plans to change who will assume most of the playing time at this position. His thought process: carving out significant minutes for a player will provide a fairer evaluation than just divvying up the playing time. Darius Morris assumed most of the playing time in the Lakers' loss Saturday to Utah, displaying a mix of both solid playmaking and forced plays en route to a two-point effort on one-of-six shooting and four assists in 19 minutes. Meanwhile, Duhon and Steve Blake sat out.

Duhon has shown little in two games, shooting a combined zero-of-four in an average of nine minutes. Brown's curious to see if Duhon will show he can organize an offense, something he lacked consistency last season with Orlando. Brown also said he plans to give Andrew Goudelock some time at the backup point guard spot, though he's usually played at shooting guard.

4. How will the Lakers handle their depleted front-court depth? The Lakers won't exactly feel any long-term implications from Earl Clark's indefinite absence because of a strained left groin. But in the short term, it undermines an already depleted front line with Howard and Jordan Hill (herniated disk) also sidelined.
That means it's highly likely that Pau Gasol, Antawn Jamison, Reeves Nelson and Ronnie Aguilar will log heavier minutes. Considering the low implications of another preseason game, my hunch is that Brown will just spread the minutes Clark could've had to Reeves and Aguilar.

5. Can Devin Ebanks further state his case for the shooting-guard spot? Brown has been touting Jodie Meeks as having the edge at this position despite his poor shooting (15.4%). It's likely Meeks will change course soon considering most of his shots, by definition, fall into the "good" category. But Ebanks has made it awfully tough for Brown not to consider featuring him at least a bit in the backup shooting guard spot. Ebanks, who has averaged 8.3 points on 42.9% shooting in 16.3 minutes, has shown this training camp that he's improved both with his midrange jumper and understanding the offensive sets.

It may not be enough to take Meeks' spot, since the latter's reputed outside shooting would serve a greater need. But it may cause Brown to give Ebanks both time at shooting guard and small forward.

LINK

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject:

Hope either DJO or CDR gets some extended minutes with the starters tonight.
Axshun
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:

I hope DJO gets some pt also. I wanna see why everyone is so high on this guy.
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject:

Really want to see Howard plays...but i guess it's better to play safe.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject:

Axshun wrote:
Chronicle wrote:

I hope DJO gets some pt also. I wanna see why everyone is so high on this guy.
because he is super athletic and is not afraid to attack the basket, also he has a very good jumpshot.
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:13 am    Post subject:

I dont care what anyone says, its still Arrowhead Pond to me.

!...
BillyGWilliams
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: preseason game 4

i think its painfully obvious that Brown is set on Meeks/Ebanks as his 2nd unit SG even though CDR is best for that position IMO. He's been far more efficient than Meeks in less minutes and also has the endorsement of Kobe and D12. Mike Clown strikes again
fan4life
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: preseason game 4

BillyGWilliams wrote:
i think its painfully obvious that Brown is set on Meeks/Ebanks as his 2nd unit SG even though CDR is best for that position IMO. He's been far more efficient than Meeks in less minutes and also has the endorsement of Kobe and D12. Mike Clown strikes again

It's infuriating to hear about Brown's possible rotations.

We needed a stretch 4 and bring in Jamison. Brown wants to make him a 3
d1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: preseason game 4

City_Dawg wrote:

Totally agree!!
d1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Mo Williams will sit out Jazz's game against Lakers

The Salt Lake Tribune
Published: October 16, 2012 11:48AM
Updated: October 16, 2012 11:48AM

The Jazz will be without point guard Mo Williams for their game against the Lakers on Tuesday night at Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Williams will sit out due to a strained right adductor muscle. He is listed as probable for Wednesday's game against the Clippers at Staples Center. Williams spent two seasons with the Clippers before being traded to the Jazz in June.

In three exhibition games with the Jazz, Wiliiams averaged 11 points and 5 assists.

Veteran Jamaal Tinsley is the most likely candidate to replace Williams, although coach Ty Corbin could also go with a big lineup and start Randy Foye or Alec Burks. Training camp invitee Chris Quinn is also a candidate.

— Bill Oram
Laker Lover
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject:

City_Dawg wrote:

LOL. I feel the same way. You try to tell someone honda center, then have to explain arrowhead pond before they get it.
nessa247
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject:

tonight will be our first win. I can feel it.
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I want to see Dwight play tonight but would rather him healthy for season. Back is nothing to f-around with
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Please post links for stream of game tonight! Comcast still hasn't signed onto twc sportsnet yet.
1ove
All Net
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Bet we lose again...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SilverBullet
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject:

nessa247 wrote:
tonight will be our first win. I can feel it.

I hope we lose again..so we can get rid of the losing- streak early before season starts.
Jocinetu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject:

if MB play starters in 1st and 4th q LAL would win all pre-season games...
i don't care W/L, but just need to say this... our bench sucks big time... just hoping for good healthy season for our core players and we can get to the great finals and Miami!
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject:

No mention of CDR as part of the pregame drama, per the LA Times article.
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Links for game?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject:

I think the bottom 3 players on the roster are already as good as cut. However, Hill, D12 and Clark are all out, so the Lakers might need a warm body tonight to play 5 if Sacre gets in foul trouble quickly and Pau needs a breather. My guess; this is why we haven't seen an announcement on Somogyi or Aguilar yet.

I expect to see a lot of DJO, CDR and Glock, and of course Duhon's going to get an extended test flight.

This looks like another game where the starters featuring special guest Sacre try some new Princeton wrinkles and generally take command in the first half as always.

Second half - I'll be very surprised if we stay competitive for the entire half with deep bench players vying for that last spot. We'll see.
Talby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject:

What if we started the scrubs 1st half and tried to come back with the starters 2nd half?

1st half:

Duhon
Meeks
CDR
Jamison
Sacre

2nd half:

Nash
Kobe
MWP
Gasol
Sacre
Gandalf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject:

cmorton59 wrote:
What if we started the scrubs 1st half and tried to come back with the starters 2nd half?

1st half:

Duhon
Meeks
CDR
Jamison
Sacre

2nd half:

Nash
Kobe
MWP
Gasol
Sacre

Sounds like a brilliant Mike Brown regular season strategy.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject:

cmorton59 wrote:

1st half:

Duhon
Meeks
CDR
Jamison
Sacre

2nd half:

Nash
Kobe
MWP
Gasol
Sacre

Wow. I'd actually enjoy that.
Lakers1980
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: My 2cents

Starting 5 (eventually)

Superman
The Spaniard
Peace
Black Mamba
Just Nashty

2nd String
Sacre
Hill
Jamison
Meeks
Blake

Third String
?
?
Ebanks
Morris/Odom-Johnson
Duhon

And that right there is 14 players.

Somogyi? Honestly? Seriously? He just looks lost out there and in extended minutes that he got last game he got benched....in a pre-season game...

CDR? I see a lot of support for a guy that hasn't shown much, be real about it...gonna watch for him tonight and see if anything changes my mind....

Blake/Duhon I think have the most to gain or lose during the preseason...if they don't produce I can see a trade for veteran or more solid big man to back up dwight/pau.

I have Verizon Fios and their Call Center (cust service) is just as lost as anyone, from several calls, I got "your package includes all sports channels and you'll be able to see the games you are requesting" < wtf ? TWCS is not in my package if Verizon hasn't paid for it yet...another call resulted in, "i haven't received any complaints about your concern sir" ... straight lying, i hung up right then and there. So, if you have Verizon Fios...call some more and flood their sh*t with complaints 'cause it appears they may not be taking this seriously.
Mation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject:

Pau not playing tonight (rest). Per Mike Brown.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 1 of 30
Jump to: