Lakers interested in Peyton Siva
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:07 pm    Post subject: Lakers interested in Peyton Siva

Lakers News: Team Works Out Louisville Point Guard Peyton Siva

By JJ Baccari| June 13, 2013|
The Lakers are working out former Louisville Cardinals point guard national champion Peyton Siva today at their practice facility.

According to Mike Trudell, Siva is among a couple other players the Lakers are working out today.

Now given the Lakers draft position, the Lakers are looking at the second tier of talent in this years draft. However, that does not mean they cannot get any value with this pick.

As Siva showed throughout his college career, he plays an aggressive style of defense and he is a quick, athletic point guard that can get to the rim on command which is something that the Lakers have not had in the Kobe Bryant era.

Now lets not get carried away and say that Siva will be the number two point guard next year for the Lakers if in fact they do decide to draft him. According to Draft Express Siva is projected to still be on the big board when the Lakers are supposed to make their pick.

He needs to improve his jump shot and obviously he is a little small for the position, but this is a guy that can bring a lot of life to the Lakers bench and can be a very serviceable guard during the Lakers youth movement that will take place after the 2013 season.

The Lakers are also working out Miami power forward Kenny Kadji, Syracuse guard Brandon Triche, USC center Dwayne Dedmon, Arkansas guard B.J. Young, and Wake Forest guard C.J. Harris.

-------------------------------------------

I personally want him. A 4 year college vet, he can improve his shot a tad but he's an excellent defender. A possible backup this season?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Word. If he's available in the 2nd round, take him.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

He also broke the Lakers (according to him -- though it wouldnt surprise me) record for vertical leap 44"

Doesnt necessarily translate into success in the NBA .. but dude has some nice athleticism to work with.

I'd be willing to part ways with Steve Blake in order to give Peyton some time to develop.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

He also broke the Lakers (according to him -- though it wouldnt surprise me) record for vertical leap 44"

Doesnt necessarily translate into success in the NBA .. but dude has some nice athleticism to work with.

I'd be willing to part ways with Steve Blake in order to give Peyton some time to develop.

I would trade Steve Blake for a high 2nd or late 1st.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject:

Worked out BJ Young too.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject:

the lakers have really spent time developing or more appropriately waiting for morris. not sure why they are working out all those guards when SF is an immedate need.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I would trade Steve Blake for a high 2nd or late 1st.

What may work is Blake and the 48th pick to PHX for the 28th pick and Jared Dudley

Phx may be looking to cut salary in order to get Josh Smith and may draft Otto Porter at 5
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject:

iggypop123 wrote:
the lakers have really spent time developing or more appropriately waiting for morris. not sure why they are working out all those guards when SF is an immedate need.

Drafting for need gets teams players that can play the position, but not at the NBA level.

I'd rather be stacked at a position. Adds depth.

lakurluv
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:56 am    Post subject:

I'd like for us to acquire him if we're still at that spot in the draft. Something tells me this will be the year the Lakers actually have some movement closer to draft with Dwight's pending free agency. I don't know why but I don't think he'll be back in a Lakers uniform.

It'll will be interesting, Siva is a great talent and he seems hungry and disrespected for what he's accomplished in College, he has something to prove I'm sure!
Nissan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject:

iggypop123 wrote:

What makes you think they don't any plans to trade Blake, Morris, or Duhon? PG is also a need on this team because Nash has two years left before he calls it a career.

You can always trade for or sign a need later in the off-season.

Would you rather have the Lakers take the best available player at the time or a player that can potentially contribute for years to come?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject:

if they can get cj mccolum or schroder, then ok.

otherwise, keep nash and blake, and find a defensive swingman that can hit the 3, like dudley.

No need for siva.
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Obviously McCollum or Schroeder would be better.. but how do the Lakers get one of them?

Peyton Siva, while under-sized, is a defensive guard. He might go through some growing pains when it comes to shooting the ball.. but if he Lakers develop him (even send him down to the D-League for the year) and he continues to work on his shooting - could be a steal. Add to the fact he's uber-athletic? When was the last time the Lakers had a point guard who was a legit defensive guard who had off-the-charts athleticism?

The Lakers *really* need to look into prospects like these and developing them. They may not pay off right away - but in a year or two? Big picture.

Not sure he's starting guard material -- but he'd be a very, very nice change-of-pace guard off the bench.
iggypop123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject:

at 48 you pretty much should take best player available. siva would get a training camp invite and likely not make it (Morris is gonna get a gauranteed deal again, although i think he's better suited as a 2 ala danny green )
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject:

iggypop123 wrote:
at 48 you pretty much should take best player available. siva would get a training camp invite and likely not make it (Morris is gonna get a gauranteed deal again, although i think he's better suited as a 2 ala danny green )

Regardless of pick, always go BPA.

At #48, starter players are available, with proper development.

Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
Obviously McCollum or Schroeder would be better.. but how do the Lakers get one of them?

Peyton Siva, while under-sized, is a defensive guard. He might go through some growing pains when it comes to shooting the ball.. but if he Lakers develop him (even send him down to the D-League for the year) and he continues to work on his shooting - could be a steal. Add to the fact he's uber-athletic? When was the last time the Lakers had a point guard who was a legit defensive guard who had off-the-charts athleticism?

The Lakers *really* need to look into prospects like these and developing them. They may not pay off right away - but in a year or two? Big picture.

Not sure he's starting guard material -- but he'd be a very, very nice change-of-pace guard off the bench.

Is he anything like iman shumpert, or avery bradley?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Nope. Avery Bradley hasn't fulfilled expectations in Boston either. Nemanja Nedovic is actually closest to Iman Shumpert, just without the wingspan.

Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
ch3cky0selff00 wrote:

Nope. Avery Bradley hasn't fulfilled expectations in Boston either. Nemanja Nedovic is actually closest to Iman Shumpert, just without the wingspan.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject:

I was thinking Siva could be a realistic option and a great pick by the Lakers.

Much like a Bledsoe, he would bring much needed speed and athletic ability to an old, slow roster.

I would love this pick if he was there when it was our turn to pick.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
I was thinking Siva could be a realistic option and a great pick by the Lakers.

Much like a Bledsoe, he would bring much needed speed and athletic ability to an old, slow roster.

I would love this pick if he was there when it was our turn to pick.

Agreed...
PauXXL
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Ditto...Siva would be very nice at 48.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject:

PauXXL wrote:
Ditto...Siva would be very nice at 48.

I'd be happy with this. He'll come into camp and earn a spot, even if he'll be on the bench most of the year. He's a competitor and last I checked, we need some of those kind of guys.
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:43 pm    Post subject:

JJ Barea type
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Plus the high Latio fan base. Siva will be a fan favorite for sure. That may boost his confidence as well.
matrixskillz
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject:

Pass. He's Jordan Farmar without the jump shot.

"I GOT WHEATIES!"
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject:

That's how I feel about him too, but, even that would be a good pick at #48.

At least it would be the Lakers drafting athletic talent that can play on both ends.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: